Draft Position

adam

Notable #14 draft picks in recent history: Tommie Harris (2004), Michael Haynes (2003), Jeremy Shockey (2002), Bubba Franks (2000), John Tait (1999), Eddie George (1996), Ruben Brown (1995)...

Interesting that the Bears had 4 of the guys listed at one point, and that 2 of them are currently on our O-Line.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah, this is what I see the final result as...

01 - Miami

02 - St. Louis

03 - Atlanta

04 - Kansas City

05 - Oakland

06 - N.Y. Jets

07 - New England (from SF)

08 - Baltimore

09 - Cincinnati

10 - New Orleans

11 - Buffalo

12 - Denver

13 - Carolina

14 - Chicago

15 - Detroit

16 - Arizona

17 - Minnesota

18 - Houston

19 - Eagles

20 - Tampa Bay

21 - Dallas (from CLE)

22 - Tennessee

23 - Seattle

24 - N.Y. Giants

25 - Pittsburgh

26 - San Diego

27 - Dallas

28 - Green Bay

29 - San Francisco (from IND)

30 - New England (forfeited)

31 - Washington (become a true miracle story and the team rallies behind the help from their lost friend and teammate, but come up short in the superbowl)

32 - Jacksonville (dominate in the playoffs due to their hard nosed style of football)

With the 14th pick there should be a good offensive lineman aboard and if the Bears did want to go for a QB one of Woodson/Brohm/Ryan will definitely be around (not that I'm implying they should take one of them). There is also a chance that a team at 18 or 20 may be interested in moving up to get there guy as the Bears probably would be able to get a similar graded tackle at 18 through 24 or so that they could get at 14 while picking up an additional first day pick.

I think we'll have a better idea of the Bears plans pretty early because I think they'll be agressive in FA (plus I think BB will either be resigned before FA begins or probably be gone because he'll end up getting a ton of money on the full open market). I feel similarly about Briggs. It will be tough too because the Bears will have two key FA players in house and at the same time likely will be going hard after one of the major free agent olineman (and being able to land that many guys in a close span when the FA market begins March 1st is going to be really difficult).

#14 is sweet finishing with 2 wins. We tied Detroit for SoS, so the Divisional record was the tiebreaker.

Now we need an early departure by SD to get a better 3rd round pick from them.

So our picks are locked in for the first three rounds at:

1st Round - #14

2nd Round - #44

3rd Round - #75

3rd Round - (from SD somewhere around #90)

Then we have the following picks (approximates based on # of supplemental picks):

4th Round - #109

5th Round #151 (from CAR)

6th Round #181 (Approximate due to supplemental picks)

7th Round #224 (Approximate due to supplemental picks)

okay, does the team with the better divisional record pick ahead or behind the team it is tied with? If the team picks behind, then we will be picking at 14th because the Lions have a better divisional record then us.

We pick 14th

Here is how the order is determined:

• The team with the lowest winning percentage at the end of the previous season drafts first in the NFL Draft.

• The rest of the teams are placed in order from lowest winning percentage to the highest.

• The Super Bowl winner drafts last, even if they do not have the highest winning percentage.

• The Super Bowl loser drafts next to last.

• Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage.

• Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

• As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.

• If a playoff and non-playoff team end the season with the same winning percentage, the non-playoff team selects before the playoff team regardless of strength of schedule.

And here is what I am seeing published as this years draft order:

1) Miami

2) St. Louis

3) Atlanta

4) Kansas City

5) Oakland

6) New York Jets

7) New England (via SF)

8) Baltimore

9) Cincinnati

10) New Orleans

11) Denver

12) Buffalo

13) Carolina

14) Chicago

15) Detroit

16) Arizona

17) Minnesota

18) Houston

19) Philadelphia

20) Dallas (via CLE)

21 to 24) Wild Card Round Losers

25 to 28) Division Round Losers

29 to 30) Conference Championship Losers

31) Super Bowl Loser

32) Super Bowl Winner

I LOVE picking 14th. Ideally I take 11th, but 14th is good. We'll get a damn good player who's likely to be in camp on time and won't cost us an arm and a leg. Drafting a player in the top 10 who sucks totally effs your team up. (Thanks Cedric . . . at least we didn't draft Pac-Man Jones or trade up for Michael Vick. Will someone PLEASE explain to me why anybody would want a top 10 pick?)

Drafting lower does hurt us in the later rounds, but the $$$ we save by staying out of the top 10 is well worth it.