Draft Position

adam

With today's win, the Bears cannot draft higher than the 9th pick.

Now the scary part is there are a ton of teams at 7-8. That means if the Bears beat NO next week, there is a chance they could plummet in the draft. Looking at Strength of Schedule which is the 2nd factor in draft position, the Bears could slide all the way to 17. Now realistically, some of the 7-8 teams will win, so the Bears will probably do no worse than 14 with a win next week. With a loss, the Bears will be guaranteed something in the range of 9-12.

Kind of bittersweet, because you want your team to win, but also want a nice draft pick.

Here are the current records and draft positions:

1. MIA (1-14)

2. STL (3-12)

3. NYJ (3-12)

4. ATL (3-12)

5. KC (4-11)

6. OAK (4-11)

7. BAL (4-11)

8. SF (5-10, SoS #31)

-----------------------------

9. CIN (6-9, SoS #27) at MIA

10. CAR (6-9, SoS #22) at TB

11. CHI (6-9, SoS #2) vs NO

12. DEN (6-8, SoS #11)

13. ARZ (7-8, SoS #30)

14. NO (7-8, SoS #24)

15. HOU (7-8, SoS #17)

16. BUF (7-8, SoS #9)*

17. DET (7-8, SoS #7)

18. PHI (7-8, SoS #1)*

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's win lost us about 2 slots. A win next week might move us down about 5.

Think about it, when did we last have a pick in the top 10 that made a damn bit of diference to the team? Just go out and win and let the draft shake out as it should.

I don't give a shit, go out and freakin win... build a stepping stone for next season like the Pack did last year... hopefully we can win next week and have everything fall into place for a pick in the 10-12 range. I want a win, but having a pick at no. 10 and winning would be a great way to end this miserable season. At 10, we have the possibility of getting one of Jeff Otah or Jake Long...

I dont want to have a higher draft pick.

First of all, you get less value. How many top ten picks pan out for the money?

Secondly, JA's strength is NOT first round picks. Especially high ones. He is much better with lower round picks.

And I can't believe that a true Bears fan wanted us to lose to the Packers for two slots in the draft.

Thats pretty pathetic.

IMO the future is more about discovering if our current players on the depth chart can win in this league. Losing means you get a better draft pick but it also means you have more holes to fill. Holes can also be filled by FA and that has nothing to do with losing. In fact, if you want to be more attractive to a FA it's better to be a team that they know is just a few players away from competing for the Superbowl.

I don't give a shit, go out and freakin win... build a stepping stone for next season like the Pack did last year... hopefully we can win next week and have everything fall into place for a pick in the 10-12 range. I want a win, but having a pick at no. 10 and winning would be a great way to end this miserable season. At 10, we have the possibility of getting one of Jeff Otah or Jake Long...

You can forget about Jake Long. As long as he doesn't have a serious injury before the draft, he'll be gone in the top 5

Cincy is likely to win against MIA, so if we lose, we're looking about 8-10, a win drops us to about the 15 range.

You can forget about Jake Long. As long as he doesn't have a serious injury before the draft, he'll be gone in the top 5

Cincy is likely to win against MIA, so if we lose, we're looking about 8-10, a win drops us to about the 15 range.

Jeff Otah has been climbing up draft boards and can challenge to being the first tackle taken... Jake Long has been slipping since even though he has the highest floor of any OL in the draft, he doesn't have much upside and might be better suited for RT. I could definitely see Otah jumping up in the top 5 and Long falling to 10.

Jeff Otah has been climbing up draft boards and can challenge to being the first tackle taken... Jake Long has been slipping since even though he has the highest floor of any OL in the draft, he doesn't have much upside and might be better suited for RT. I could definitely see Otah jumping up in the top 5 and Long falling to 10.

He's not going to magically climb ahead of Long. Pitt finished with 5 wins, there are no bowl games for them. You don't climb up draft boards if you're not playing, not offensive lineman. I'd be thoroughly and utterly shocked if Otah is picked ahead of Long, let alone in the top 10, that of course depending on which teams end up where. OT/OG has a lot less to do with potential and upside than any of the skilled positions. Either you can block, or you can't.

I don't know how you say Long has been slipping. He's the best offensive linemen in the NCAA, no doubt about it. How doesn't he have much upside? You don't get picked as a top 5 guy unless you can do something and do it really effing good. Long is the best linemen in the draft, no doubt about it. Big Ten Linemen of the Year back to back seasons and only surrendered 1 sack.

I've seen most of Michigan's games living up there at school, and the guy is the real deal. You don't get past him.

I would have just preferred we lost our last two games but I didn't want to do any better than 1-2 in the last 3 weeks so hopefully we lose next week and I hate saying that but it means our future.

No it doesn't, a bit melodramatic wouldn't you say?

You play to win. A couple spots simply will not matter. The Patriots are full of top 10 picks? Getting that super high pick is such a minute part of building a team. Your comment was absolutely ludicrous.

Flea - I agree; you need must play each game to win. But further, once you are out of the playoff race, you need to make sure each game means something. At that point you have to evaluate the talent on your team for the next yr which the Bears have done (with the exception of Hass - please get him on the field).

Peace :bears

He's not going to magically climb ahead of Long. Pitt finished with 5 wins, there are no bowl games for them. You don't climb up draft boards if you're not playing, not offensive lineman. I'd be thoroughly and utterly shocked if Otah is picked ahead of Long, let alone in the top 10, that of course depending on which teams end up where. OT/OG has a lot less to do with potential and upside than any of the skilled positions. Either you can block, or you can't.

I don't know how you say Long has been slipping. He's the best offensive linemen in the NCAA, no doubt about it. How doesn't he have much upside? You don't get picked as a top 5 guy unless you can do something and do it really effing good. Long is the best linemen in the draft, no doubt about it. Big Ten Linemen of the Year back to back seasons and only surrendered 1 sack.

I've seen most of Michigan's games living up there at school, and the guy is the real deal. You don't get past him.

Right now, Long is top 5, and Otah and Clady are close behind, but after the combine, things can and probably will change.

Going into the offseason with a winning streak is definitely something positive, but how much would that outweigh the losing record and worse draft pick?

I want to see the Bears win, but also want them to have the best draft position as possible. Even if they don't actual pick someone, dropping from #11 to #17, is the equivalent of losing a late 2nd round pick. Having the better draft pick also gives them more options. Pick, trade down, trade up for less, etc.

Also, the Bears have had the 2nd hardest SoS this season, so they would draft last after all the team's of the same record, with the exception of Philly.

Either way, playing NO in Chicago gives the Bears a favorable matchup. My best scenario would be a Bears win and still get a mid teens pick (13-15).

Does Detroit pick before us???

Yes, here is the breakdown:

9. DEN (6-9, SoS #11)

10. CIN (7-9, SoS #27)

11. NO (7-9, SoS #24)

12. CAR (7-9, SoS #22)

13. BUF (7-9, SoS #9)

14. DET (7-9, SoS #7)

15. CHI (7-9, SoS #2)

16. ARZ (7-8, SoS #30)

17. HOU (8-8, SoS #17)

18. PHI (8-8, SoS #1)

Now ARZ is interesting. If they lose, they go from #16 to #10, and possibly #9 with a DEN win.

Yes, here is the breakdown:

9. DEN (6-9, SoS #11)

10. CIN (7-9, SoS #27)

11. NO (7-9, SoS #24)

12. CAR (7-9, SoS #22)

13. BUF (7-9, SoS #9)

14. DET (7-9, SoS #7)

15. CHI (7-9, SoS #2)

16. ARZ (7-8, SoS #30)

17. HOU (8-8, SoS #17)

18. PHI (8-8, SoS #1)

Now ARZ is interesting. If they lose, they go from #16 to #10, and possibly #9 with a DEN win.

I don't get it. They beat us twice and yet they pick in front of us. How the hell does that happen????

I don't get it. They beat us twice and yet they pick in front of us. How the hell does that happen????

It says that after overall record, the next factor is SoS. The team with the easier schedule with the same record is actually the worse team. That is how it has been unless it has changed recently.

It says that after overall record, the next factor is SoS. The team with the easier schedule with the same record is actually the worse team. That is how it has been unless it has changed recently.

Just doesn't seem logical since they beat us head to head twice but I get it.

Just doesn't seem logical since they beat us head to head twice but I get it.

Head to Head is not even a discriminant. That is weird:

• The team with the lowest winning percentage at the end of the previous season drafts first in the NFL Draft.

• The rest of the teams are placed in order from lowest winning percentage to the highest.

• The Super Bowl winner drafts last, even if they do not have the highest winning percentage.

• The Super Bowl loser drafts next to last.

• Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage.

• Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

• As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.

• If a playoff and non-playoff team end the season with the same winning percentage, the non-playoff team selects before the playoff team regardless of strength of schedule