Schedule released

BearFan PHX

Well the Bears' schedule has been released, and we don't play ANY divisional games until the last 9 weeks of the season. That's kind of amazing, because it gives Williams time to grow before he fights for a playoff berth.

I haven't looked at any other teams yet, but maybe the NFL is pushing divisional games later int he year on purpose so playoff hopes stay alive as long as possible for each team, or maybe the Bears just got lucky, or are being helped by the league (less likely!)

Whatever it is, it's good news for us this year.

A lot of people are complaining but, like you, most winnable games are early giving us time to grow and get our act together . I dont like 4 of 6 games on the road at the end of the season but that is out of our control.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Well the Bears' schedule has been released, and we don't play ANY divisional games until the last 9 weeks of the season. That's kind of amazing, because it gives Williams time to grow before he fights for a playoff berth.

I haven't looked at any other teams yet, but maybe the NFL is pushing divisional games later int he year on purpose so playoff hopes stay alive as long as possible for each team, or maybe the Bears just got lucky, or are being helped by the league (less likely!)

Whatever it is, it's good news for us this year. 

How many "lucky" coincidences can there be before you question lol.  I mean look, they even drew Jacksonville for their 1st of back to back travel games. If it was Jax 2nd game, they would have the advantage of being acclimated to the travel time adjustment. 

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

How many "lucky" coincidences can there be before you question lol.  I mean look, they even drew Jacksonville for their 1st of back to back travel games. If it was Jax 2nd game, they would have the advantage of being acclimated to the travel time adjustment. 

I dont know how much this goes on at the league headquarters, but all these things will make the Bears more likely to win the division. Not saying they will, just more likely.

I also see where the Giants are this years Hard Knocks team, so theres that piece of good news too.

Genuinely shocked they only gave them 3 primetime games. I hate how the only home night game they give the Bears is always the crappy Thursday games. I honestly can't recall the last home SNF or MNF game they've had in years. 

At first glance, my initial thoughts are that the team better get off to a hot start before that week 11 game against the Packers or it could be tough sledding to finish the season. The backloaded divisional games with SF thrown in there, as well as a 3 games in 10 days stretch, make it absolutely imperative to win early.

I've got them at 10-7. I think the division will be super competitive, but the Vikings will be playing for draft position by the end of the year while the Bears, Lions, and Packers battle for the playoffs.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont know how much this goes on at the league headquarters, but all these things will make the Bears more likely to win the division. Not saying they will, just more likely.

I also see where the Giants are this years Hard Knocks team, so theres that piece of good news too.

I read more that clarified, the Giants are the offseason version of Hard Knocks, the preseason version is yet to be decided. I would imagine the Bears would make a very attractive candidate, but we would like to avoid it if possible.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Besides the 3 primetime games, they are on Thanksgiving and the London, both games that seem primetime to me.

Yeah, I definitely see turkey day as a prime-time game.  There also may be some flex-in games later in the season with if division is tight.

52 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Yeah, I definitely see turkey day as a prime-time game.  There also may be some flex-in games later in the season with if division is tight.

yes, if we are playing well, i do expect flex games later in the season for sure. I think Williams is going to be a media star in the league. Maybe not right away, but once he starts winning.

14 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If the way the games are laid out and we go 7-1 or 8-2  in the easy part of the schedule, you know we will get some flexed games. Personally I like having Sunday afternoon games,  Im a creature of habit. 

I was assuming the Bears would be up for several flex games later in the season. The last 8 weeks are going to be tough with 6 division games + SEA and SF. Going 4-4 in those 8 would be huge and required for the playoffs. I am hoping they can start fast and go 7-2 or 8-1, which would be crazy but very possible. I assume 7-2 and 6-3 is the most realistic, but HOU is the only really tough game. LAR is in CHI, and for IND, it would be Week 3 with Richardson coming off injury. 

If the Bears start 8-1 before playing GB, Williams will be the leading MVP and OPoY candidate, Flus CotY, and Poles EotY. That would be the 2023 win total in 8 games. 

Not playing the division games until later is a good thing for the Bears. Williams will have 9 games plus the bye before playing GB. That also means the defense will have that much more tape on Love and Co. 

Here is a cool way to look at the schedule, solely based on net rest. I don't know how much it correlates to more or less success, but the Bears are tied for 8th and have 3 games with more rest and 2 games with less rest than their opponents:

Games with extra rest: +7 days @WSH, +3 days @SF, +3 days @ GB

Games with less rest: -7 days vs GB, -1 vs @DET

The away games with less rest seems to be the worst, and the Bears only get one game that fits that criteria (@DET with 1 less day of rest), which seems positive. They also get 3 other road games with extra rest, which should help for games on the road. I don't like giving GB an extra week to prepare of us though. That one sucks. 

With 2 THU games late in the season, the Bears do play 6 games in 32 days (basically every 5 games), I feel like that might catch up to them in late December.

The team's track record against good/great QBs is not good. Hopefully the offense will help that, but the best QB a Flus defense ever beat was Goff. Besides Goff, in the other 6 wins, they faced Howell, Hoyer, Young, Dobbs, Murray, and Heinicke. In 2022, it was Lance, Mills, and Zappe. So in Flus' 10 wins, only Goff, Murray, and Young are still starting QBs. That scares me a little bit.

Here is what this season's QBs look like:

1 - Levis
2 - Stroud #15
3 - Richardson
4 - Stafford #6
5 - Young #29
6 - Lawrence #17
8 - Daniels/Mariota
9 - Murray #22
10 - Maye/Brissett
11 - Love #9
12 - McCarthy/Darnold
13 - Goff #11
14 - Purdy #1
15 - McCarthy/Darnold
16 - Goff #11
17 - Smith #14
18 - Love #9

4 games against top 10 QBs (Purdy, Lovex2, Stafford)
-----------------------------------
6 games against QBs from 11th-22nd
-----------------------------------
1 game against bottom 10 QBs (Young)
6 games against QBs without a QBR from 2023

I know it is not that easy, but just say the Bears lose the 4 against the top 10 QBs, split the middle games, and win all at the bottom, that is still a 10 win team without having to beat an elite QB. So just say they do and beat Love at least once, now you are lookin at an 11+ win team. 

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Statistically Purdy is listed elite, but I dont consider him that.

Im more concerned about great coaches. 

2-4-11-13-14-16-18

True, but QBR is also roster-based, he is obviously producing elite numbers due to his performance with his supporting cast and coaching.