Bears OTAs

BearFan PHX

Looks like the defense got the better of Caleb today. This is good, because you want Caleb to have to learn the NFL speed now rather than later in games.

I think we all agreed a few weeks back that having a great defense to go against in practice is going to make our offense better faster, and not have to learn on the fly during games as much.

Here's hoping Caleb strikes back and wins some days soon too :)

He's not walking off the bus and looking like an all pro. All of this is a learning process. I want him looking good in September, not worried about May. A top 5 defense is good for his learning process.

I loved listening to new FS Byard.  He is adding wrinkles to the D and was asked if this was asked by Flus to add.  He said, no, this is my experience.  This was about getting the DBs to better disguise coverages to confuse offenses.  The D told Caleb they want him to be good and this is where it happens.  Caleb showed his mental toughness by not getting flustered.   The team is hungry and there to be great. 

I am glad this is happening and it would be a bad look for the defense if a rookie QB is carving them up this early in the offseason. I hope it is a battle for him all offseason and he just shows the growth we have wanted to see from the previous drafted QBs. 

Byard is going to be a better addition than most expect. Jackson was terrible and predictable. Byard can play both FS and SS, so they can get more exotic in their pre snap coverage looks than they could in the past. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Byard is going to be a better addition than most expect. Jackson was terrible and predictable. Byard can play both FS and SS, so they can get more exotic in their pre snap coverage looks than they could in the past. 

Poles said he is a multiplier, just like Keenan Allen.  It would be great if they can get Allen to do an extension to basically set a 2 year window.  If Byard can get Gordan, Stevenson, and Brisker to that higher level and Coach Washington and Montez Sweat can get the Dline elevated, I believe we will see a dominant team. We get to play the team whose door we need to break down, SF to be the NFCs best as long as we take care of the division. 

Watch highlights on Byard, he's a dude, gtear against the run and has 28 ints. People look at his time in PHILLY, HE GOT TRADES DURING THE YEAR, was the D leader on the Titans and had to come to a disfunctional D . Just didnt fit in.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Watch highlights on Byard, he's a dude, gtear against the run and has 28 ints. People look at his time in PHILLY, HE GOT TRADES DURING THE YEAR, was the D leader on the Titans and had to come to a disfunctional D . Just didnt fit in.

I totally agree. He is better than he was last year, and the bears are going to rejuvenate him

19 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Also, the Eagles defense is a lot different than the Titans, so he was basically playing at half speed. 

I really like him and think he will be a pleasant surprise on defense. All he has to do is play average and it will be a massive upgrade from Jackson. Also, if you remember a few years ago, Jackson was basically telling rookies that they didn't need to worry about tackling. Byard is clearly not like that. He fits in well with Brisker and the rest of the secondary. I would not be surprised if they extend him to allow the team to address other positions in 2025's draft.

When they mentioned that Caleb had a rough day, they also said he was missing two WRs and two OLs. 

Now, I know it isn't unusual for players to miss OTAs. However, I was hoping for a solid turnout. The WRs need to continue developing chemistry with Caleb, and the OL needs to mesh as a unit with a new center yet to be named.

Does anyone know who skipped the OTA and the reasons for their absence?

16 minutes ago, Pixote said:

When they mentioned that Caleb had a rough day, they also said he was missing two WRs and two OLs. 

Now, I know it isn't unusual for players to miss OTAs. However, I was hoping for a solid turnout. The WRs need to continue developing chemistry with Caleb, and the OL needs to mesh as a unit with a new center yet to be named.

Does anyone know who skipped the OTA and the reasons for their absence?

Keenan Allen, it was his wife's bday and also a daughters I think. I am not too worried about him missing the OTA.  He and all the players have been in house doing the off season workouts. 

Rome Odunze - he has a hamstring and missed the practice. 

Gervon Dexter - not sure what his reason was, but Flus is impressed with his work all offseason

“I noticed the body composition first,” Eberflus said. “[Dexter] was really good. He changed his body in the time he was off. He’s quicker, leaner.”

26 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Keenan Allen, it was his wife's bday and also a daughters I think. I am not too worried about him missing the OTA.  He and all the players have been in house doing the off season workouts. 

Rome Odunze - he has a hamstring and missed the practice. 

Gervon Dexter - not sure what his reason was, but Flus is impressed with his work all offseason

“I noticed the body composition first,” Eberflus said. “[Dexter] was really good. He changed his body in the time he was off. He’s quicker, leaner.”

Thanks!

There was also a mention of 2 on the OL. Does anyone know who?

With the secondary being so elite, it feels like that energy is going to propagate throughout the rest of the defense. That unit may be the best in the NFL this year, and in reality, the Bears LB+Secondary may be the best as well when you include Edmunds, Edwards, and Sanborn into the mix.

The only thing we are missing on D is more pressure on the quarterback. Sweat cannot be expected to be a one-man show. What happens if he gets injured? We need to bring in a vet to add to the mix to secure a top 5 D.

I just read an article about Yannick Ngakoue's progress after his ankle injury.

The guy let us down last year, having the least productive season of his career.

However, I firmly believe he could be a valuable addition to our DL, providing a strong complement to Sweat, with a cost-effective, incentive-laden contract. The interview tells me he has the proper attitude to turn things around and give us 8+ sacks.

Check out the article I linked in line one of the post, and let me know what you think.

38 minutes ago, Pixote said:

The guy let us down last year, having the least productive season of his career.

However, I firmly believe he could be a valuable addition to our DL, providing a strong complement to Sweat, with a cost-effective, incentive-laden contract. The interview tells me he has the proper attitude to turn things around and give us 8+ sacks.

Check out the article I linked in line one of the post, and let me know what you think.

Yannick, Ogbah, or Calais Campbell please!  Most likely sometime after June cuts a move will happen.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Yannick, Ogbah, or Calais Campbell please!  Most likely sometime after June cuts a move will happen.

thats what i think too. Plus, if you've got three on a list like that, why pay more for the first one when you can pay less for the last one.

3 hours ago, Pixote said:

Have you seen any of his workout videos? He looks less explosive than last year, like the injury is still impacting him get off. I don't think he is signing with anyone any time soon.

43 minutes ago, adam said:

Have you seen any of his workout videos? He looks less explosive than last year, like the injury is still impacting him get off. I don't think he is signing with anyone any time soon.

Here's a breakdown of the players we have on the roster right now. AM says Jacob Martin has the literally same next gen stats as Yannick and comes at a vet minimuim salary. He shows some tape on Martin and guy is quick.