Keeping up with Kyle Orton

ostrogoth

:fight Kyle Orton credited his neckbeard with helping him overcome the cold and windy elements in Chicago on Sunday.

"Certainly with the wind, it was cold, but I have a beard so that helps out a little bit. It's kind of warm in this area," Orton said. As always with Orton, there is a method to his madness.

Lance Briggs' status for the Bears' season finale is in doubt due to a hip injury.

Briggs wants to return to ensure that he has played in 75% of all snaps, thus preventing the Bears from placing the franchise tag on him once again, thus preventing what will surely be a big payday.

S1.bmp

:fight Kyle Orton credited his neckbeard with helping him overcome the cold and windy elements in Chicago on Sunday.

"Certainly with the wind, it was cold, but I have a beard so that helps out a little bit. It's kind of warm in this area," Orton said. As always with Orton, there is a method to his madness.

Lance Briggs' status for the Bears' season finale is in doubt due to a hip injury.

Briggs wants to return to ensure that he has played in 75% of all snaps, thus preventing the Bears from placing the franchise tag on him once again, thus preventing what will surely be a big payday.

Ha, Ha! I'd be tempted, if I were JA, to finagle it so Briggs can be franchised again, then trade his butt.

Man, is there a chance he would not get 75% of the snaps? Has he missed that much time this year? If we could hold him out of the game do to injury and therefore keep him below the 75% figure, that would be sweet, then trade his ass for a decent draft selection &/or a quality player in a need position.

I agree with Drunkbomber on this. If he is anywhere near 75% of the snaps you do not tag him (especially if he is sitting because of injury). You do not walk to create an issue. Take the compensatory pick next yr.

Peace

If we sign who we want to (Faneca, Starks, FA S, FA QB, etc...) then do we get a comp pick even if Briggs leaves? I thought it had to do with gain vs lost in FA. Or is it just lost?

If we sign who we want to (Faneca, Starks, FA S, FA QB, etc...) then do we get a comp pick even if Briggs leaves? I thought it had to do with gain vs lost in FA. Or is it just lost?

It deals with gain and loss... so the only way we'd get a 3rd round compensation pick for Briggs is if all the guys we sign in his place don't do good...

And Lance Briggs is worth every penny of 7 million over 6 years (which would be needed to get him...)

It deals with gain and loss... so the only way we'd get a 3rd round compensation pick for Briggs is if all the guys we sign in his place don't do good...

And Lance Briggs is worth every penny of 7 million over 6 years (which would be needed to get him...)

It will take a whole lot more than 7 Million over 6 years, better rethink those numbers!!

He wants Brian Urlacher money, and that Brian Urlacher money.

You said 7 Million over 6 years. That to me is a little over 1 million per year.

Now if you mean 7 million PER YEAR, for 6 years, for a total of 42 Million fine, but then add on another 20 million for a signing bonus and he will sign with us for a contract totalling 62 million over 6 years, not 7 million over 6 years.

You said 7 Million over 6 years. That to me is a little over 1 million per year.

Now if you mean 7 million PER YEAR, for 6 years, for a total of 42 Million fine, but then add on another 20 million for a signing bonus and he will sign with us for a contract totalling 62 million over 6 years, not 7 million over 6 years.

of course I meant 7 million per year... and there is no way possible any team would offer him 62 million over 6 years. He'll make anywhere from 2-6 million per year, but with a 20-24 million signing bonus. He'll probably wind up making an average of 7 million per season.

I was certainly hoping you meant per year but when you kept on saying 7M OVER 6 yrs I just wanted to make certain we were both on the same page.

Bears | No long-term negotiations with Briggs

Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:40:05 -0800

David Haugh, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the club is not intending to negotiate a long-term deal with LB Lance Briggs, who was designated the team's franchise player earlier this month. "When we made the decision, it wasn't with the intention that we were going to [negotiate now]," Angelo said. "I'm not ruling that out or saying that's not a possibility. But we made the decision about our finances that he would be playing under a one-year deal." Briggs is reportedly seeking a nine-year deal in excess of $63.8 million.

I assure you, with esculating contracts and salary cap, and another Pro Bowl in his resume, Lance's contract demands will esculate even to a higher $$$ and beyond what the Bears will be able to afford with all the positional needs they have to fill.

I was certainly hoping you meant per year but when you kept on saying 7M OVER 6 yrs I just wanted to make certain we were both on the same page.

I assure you, with esculating contracts and salary cap, and another Pro Bowl in his resume, Lance's contract demands will esculate even to a higher $$ and beyond what the Bears will be able to afford with all the positional needs they have to fill.

Well, 63 million over 9 years is pretty much 7 million per season (and a lot of his money will probably be backloaded anyway)...