JA on the score at 10

Iguana

He said Mike Brown won't be relied on but would like to have him back.

He is focusing on needs this offseason and not luxuries.

Even more specific on Brown - he said "How can I depend on Mike Brown?" Obviously, he can't and will look to upgrade.

Peace :bears

Mulligan brings up a good point about how when Lovie first came he had little power over the assistant coaches with how he wanted Babich as his DC but JA said no and brought in Rivera. Now it's completely different.

Question on his Brown comments,

I saw where he said, "how can I count on Brown" and was wondering if that was something he simply said, or if he was repeating a question posed by a reporter. While the comment is understandable, I think it is also a bit insulting. Through all Rex' injuries, I do not recall him ever making a comment like this. I simply wondered if a reporter flat out asked if he can count on Mike Brown, and Angelo began his answer by repeating the questioner's words.

One thing he said that makes me sick,

From what I read, he said our defense is not set up to stop the run. Sorry, but that simply makes me sick.

A couple points of clarification:

Angelo said that our defense is not designed to be a run stuffing team. I'm pretty sure he wasn't implying that he expects them to suck at it, but just that the scheme isn't oriented around that like one would if they have 2 buddas at DT.

As for the Mike Brown comment, it WAS in repsonse to a question. He was specifically asked if he could count on Mike Brown. The key to me in that exchange was that he wants Mike back.

A couple points of clarification:

Angelo said that our defense is not designed to be a run stuffing team. I'm pretty sure he wasn't implying that he expects them to suck at it, but just that the scheme isn't oriented around that like one would if they have 2 buddas at DT.

As for the Mike Brown comment, it WAS in repsonse to a question. He was specifically asked if he could count on Mike Brown. The key to me in that exchange was that he wants Mike back.

I remember both of those from his comments. It was fairly clear, however, that he realizes he cannot depend on Brown and needs to have an adequate answer available.

I understand that, but one of my biggest issues w/ Lovie's D has always been our ability to stop the run. If you go back to when Lovie was running the D in StL, his D's were always weak against the run. He got away w/ it more there because Stl was putting up 30 points in the first half, and teams had to abandon the run. But how well the defense (scheme) defends the run has always been a sore point of mine.

Thank you. I pretty much thought as much. It seemed like too great of an insult to Brown. As for keeping Brown, I am for it for the most part, though I want to go into the offseason w/ the plan on trying to replace him. But adding two safeties is not easy, and I keep Brown unless we do.

Thanks for the recaps.

Still would've liked to have seen Hass in on a few snaps.

Brown should be kept, but really needs to work out a better contract for both sides. Brown also made the run defense look a lot better - somehow.

Grossman coming back has to be a longshot. He is probably better off getting a fresh start somewhere else.

Agreed...espcially on Hass. I really fault Lovie for that. They should have found a series or 2 for the guy. It's borderline silly. Same with Beekman. I'm convinced Lovie has lost some brain cells...or he thinks the entire fan base are idiots. I'm generally insulted by everything that now comes out of his mouth.

Angelo's responses seemed genuine, thoughtful, and made sense.

I aslo agree on Brown. I really want him back. He just needs to be restructured and used more sparingly.

Ditto on Grossman. I think he wants out more than anything. With teams like Miami, Baltimore, Minny, SF, etc...potentially looking for QB's, there should be interest for him elsewhere.

Thanks for the recaps.

Still would've liked to have seen Hass in on a few snaps.

Brown should be kept, but really needs to work out a better contract for both sides. Brown also made the run defense look a lot better - somehow.

Grossman coming back has to be a longshot. He is probably better off getting a fresh start somewhere else.

I remember both of those from his comments. It was fairly clear, however, that he realizes he cannot depend on Brown and needs to have an adequate answer available.

Isn't Rex' injury the reason the Bears ended up bringing Griese in as a backup. Basically Angelo knew he couldn't continue to count on Rex given the history and brought in some competition. I expect the Bears to bring a backup RB, resign Berrian (or make a hard push at doing so, maybe even franchising him, which will allow the Bears to get value via a draft pick for him), bring in a starting safety (who will take one of the safety spots with Brown being the other spot and Manning/McGowan/Payne backing up), and upgrade the oline.

Aside from that I don't think the Bears will do anything too drastic and I hope they have a killer draft.