Derek Anderson, QB

Pixote

Browns have difficult decision to make with breakout QB star Anderson

I know he has limited experience/success. He did have an excellent 2007.

There is squat out there for FA QBs

If Rex, Kyle, & Brian can not step forward (time will tell) we need someone to push the bubble.

Do you want to rely on a rookie QB, especially if we wait to later rds to draft one while we attend to other positions first (OL, RB, S....)?

What would it take to get him????

If we dont fix the oline, why bother

I agree, the first priority is to fix the OL, nuff said, everything else on the O will depend on this!

Then we need competition for Benson in case once the OL is working, he falls short.

We also need to make sure that once the OL is fixed, we have a QB that can produce with the added advantages of an OL giving him protection & opening holes for a running game.

A rookie QB seldom comes in year one and becomes productive. Most of us agree if we draft a QB we do so in later rounds, not rd 1. QBs drafted in rd 2-4 will probably need even more grooming.

Are we confident that if we fix the OL and running game that Rex or Kyle will be able to be our QB, a QB that we can rely on, this year and in the near future?

If so, fine, pass on Anderson and draft a 2nd or 3rd rounder to groom as QB.

If not, we need to pick up a FA QB. What QB that will be available in FA would be worth picking up?

D Anderson is the only one I can see that would have a chance to be an upgrade.

I agree, we need to fill a lot of holes (one we need to be sure is fixed is QB).

We need draft picks, cap room, FA signings, and our own players returning healthy.

However, I am concerned we will go into next year without taking proper precautions that we do not ride the QB carousel again!!

See where I am coming from?

I agree, the first priority is to fix the OL, nuff said, everything else on the O will depend on this!

Then we need competition for Benson in case once the OL is working, he falls short.

We also need to make sure that once the OL is fixed, we have a QB that can produce with the added advantages of an OL giving him protection & opening holes for a running game.

A rookie QB seldom comes in year one and becomes productive. Most of us agree if we draft a QB we do so in later rounds, not rd 1. QBs drafted in rd 2-4 will probably need even more grooming.

Are we confident that if we fix the OL and running game that Rex or Kyle will be able to be our QB, a QB that we can rely on, this year and in the near future?

If so, fine, pass on Anderson and draft a 2nd or 3rd rounder to groom as QB.

If not, we need to pick up a FA QB. What QB that will be available in FA would be worth picking up?

D Anderson is the only one I can see that would have a chance to be an upgrade.

I agree, we need to fill a lot of holes (one we need to be sure is fixed is QB).

We need draft picks, cap room, FA signings, and our own players returning healthy.

However, I am concerned we will go into next year without taking proper precautions that we do not ride the QB carousel again!!

See where I am coming from?

Yes but D. Anderson is the same type of "gunslinger" type that Rex is. He will have stellar games but also will have games where he turns the ball over 4 times. If we bring him in what does the fans, media, boards do when he trows 4 picks and loses a fumble.

Well why not bring back the real Rex at a discount price and better oline.

Doesn't make much sense to sink big bucks into a guy thats just the same.

I agree, I dont think Anderson is worth what theyre gonna want. Im not even sold that hes that good a qb. Braylon and K2 are two excellent weapons and they also had a very good offensive line.

I would love to trade for him, but it will depend on what Cle demands in a trade. To simply steal him outright, it would cost us a 1st and 3rd, plus a very sizable contract. That is simply too much. If Cle were willing to discuss a trade for less compensation, I would absolutely think we have to talk to them.

If we could get Anderson w/o giving up a 1st, I think we owe it to ourselves to look at this option. If Cle demands at least a 1st, I would say we have to walk away. I would love to add Anderson, but we have too many needs to give up a top half pick in the 1st. If we could drop the price to a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd (since we have two), I would consider it. We could still sign Faneca and draft LT in the 1st, upgrading our OL. Doing this and adding Anderson could do wonders for this offense.

I do not think Cle would give up Anderson for less than a 1st, but I think we have to be in discussion w/ Cle.

I would love to trade for him, but it will depend on what Cle demands in a trade. To simply steal him outright, it would cost us a 1st and 3rd, plus a very sizable contract. That is simply too much. If Cle were willing to discuss a trade for less compensation, I would absolutely think we have to talk to them.

If we could get Anderson w/o giving up a 1st, I think we owe it to ourselves to look at this option. If Cle demands at least a 1st, I would say we have to walk away. I would love to add Anderson, but we have too many needs to give up a top half pick in the 1st. If we could drop the price to a 2nd and maybe even a 3rd (since we have two), I would consider it. We could still sign Faneca and draft LT in the 1st, upgrading our OL. Doing this and adding Anderson could do wonders for this offense.

I do not think Cle would give up Anderson for less than a 1st, but I think we have to be in discussion w/ Cle.

Sorry but I look at his numbers and I am not impressed enough with him to think he is even an upgrade over any of our guys let alone giving him a big contract and giving a 1st and 3rd. Nothing about this guy makes me say we gotta have him. Believe me, if Clev felt like he was really worth pursuing, they wouldn't be dangling him out there as if there were some possibility of them trading him. If they wanted to keep him, they would have resigned him already or at the very least would not be discussing trade scenarios.

Sorry but I look at his numbers and I am not impressed enough with him to think he is even an upgrade over any of our guys let alone giving him a big contract and giving a 1st and 3rd. Nothing about this guy makes me say we gotta have him. Believe me, if Clev felt like he was really worth pursuing, they wouldn't be dangling him out there as if there were some possibility of them trading him. If they wanted to keep him, they would have resigned him already or at the very least would not be discussing trade scenarios.

No, Cleveland has Brady Quinn waiting in the wings and cannot afford to let this become an issue. Had Cleveland drafted someone else, I think Cleveland would be making an effort to resign right now rather than look for compensation.

Where do I begin?

One. Did you read my post? I said I would not give up a 1st and 3rd for him. While I am not sure what I would say his value is, we have too many needs to give up a 1st and 3rd.

Two. The situation isn't so simple when you say if he was worth anything they would not be dangling him. This situation is very similar to the one w/ SD and Brees/Rivers. Brees was coming off a pro bowl season where I think he was even in consideration for MVP, and yet they let him walk because they had drafted Rivers. Well, Anderson is coming off a solid year, but they just drafted Quinn, who they gave up what, a 1st and 2nd round pick for? I don't recall the numbers, but while Quinn wasn't drafted high, I believe he signed for more value than his draft slot. So they have money and draft picks invested in him. So while I understand what you are saying, it is simply not that simple.

As for the comment you are not impressed, and question him even being an upgrade over any of our guys, you have to be kidding. As a bear fan, it should not take much to be impressed by QB play. As a bear fan, having a QB that can avoid mistakes is usually enough. Our bar is set so low when it comes to QB it is embarassing.

Look at Anderson this year, and compare him to Rex last year. I think that is a very fair comparison. You might argue Anderson had more weapons, but I would counter that w/ Anderson being in only his 2nd year in the NFL, and add how Rex had a great defense which often put him in good field position, and didn't put all the weight on his shoulders. Anderson had to win games, compared to Rex, who often just didn't have to lose them. Anyway,

Anderson threw for about 600 more yards than Rex (3,787 to 3,193), with a slightly better completion % (56.5 to 54.6) and a better ypc average too (7.19 to 6.65).

Anderson threw for more TDs (29 to 23) and fewer Ints (19 to 20) w/ a better TD/Int ratio (3.6% to 4.2%)

Anderson had a good 82.9 QB rating, compared to Rex' 73.9.

Rex had 5 games w/ 3 or more picks, compared to Anderson's 2.

ReX had 7 games w/ 2 ore more TDs, compared to Anderson's 10.

I simply do not see how you can argue Anderson isn't better than Rex, who is considered by most all to be our best QB.

I am not saying Anderson is a sure thing stud for whoever he signs w/. I am not saying Anderson is worth a 1st and 3rd. But writting off even the idea of getting him to me is part of the problem in itself. We need to start looking at QB as a key position on the team and not simply as a position we can fill w/ whoever we find on the scrap heap. I would rather try and fail w/ a player like Anderson, then continue to throwing out there there trash we have suffered through for years.

That is what I expect. I think Cle will let him go if another team offers at least a 1st, maybe more, but neither Anderson, nor Quinn, hit the cap for big dollars this year, and they can afford to keep both.

Honestly, I can see it either way. They gave up this years 1st for Quinn, and would like to get that pick back. While Anderson is helping now, if they feel Quinn is going to be their future, the sooner they start, the sooner he develops.

So I can see them going either way on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if CLE held onto Anderson for one more year. Just think if they let him go and Quinn turns into Ryan Leaf.

Me either. Clevelands futility at the QB position rivlas that of the Bears. So now, after finally having some solid QB play, they are going to trade him for the inexperienced, but costly Quinn. I don't think so.

Me either. Clevelands futility at the QB position rivlas that of the Bears. So now, after finally having some solid QB play, they are going to trade him for the inexperienced, but costly Quinn. I don't think so.

Well, what are their other options? Extend Anderson now, and wind up having 2 very, very costly QB's eating up their cap space and killing their chances of improving next year by bringing in a FA to fill any holes (especially since they're sans a first rounder this year), or pick one of the 2 that they have to deal? And if you don't extend Anderson, which one do you deal...the one you have under contract or the one who may walk within a year?

IMO, their 2 most intelligent options would be to either try to swap Quinn to someone for a late first rounder or an early 2nd rounder if someone will give that up and extend Anderson now, or try to move Anderson for the same thing. When you're a team rebuilding like the Browns, just starting to get somewhere, it doesn't make any sense at all to wind up letting a guy like Anderson walk for virtually nothing when he could at least net you a player or a draft pick.

Well, what are their other options? Extend Anderson now, and wind up having 2 very, very costly QB's eating up their cap space and killing their chances of improving next year by bringing in a FA to fill any holes (especially since they're sans a first rounder this year), or pick one of the 2 that they have to deal? And if you don't extend Anderson, which one do you deal...the one you have under contract or the one who may walk within a year?

IMO, their 2 most intelligent options would be to either try to swap Quinn to someone for a late first rounder or an early 2nd rounder if someone will give that up and extend Anderson now, or try to move Anderson for the same thing. When you're a team rebuilding like the Browns, just starting to get somewhere, it doesn't make any sense at all to wind up letting a guy like Anderson walk for virtually nothing when he could at least net you a player or a draft pick.

Can they extend Anderson to a cap friendly deal with a big signing bonus, then trade him before the cap hit gets too big?

I just think they need one year with Quinn at the helm before letting their security blanket go.

Rivers had two years before taking over in SD. I think Quinn will get it as well.

If they give him a big SB, that is upfront money and they would eat the majority of that if they traded him soon after. Theoretically, they could sign him to a deal where he would get a roster bonus in the 2nd year of his deal, and if they trade him prior to that, they would not be on the hook for that money, but there is really little incentive for Anderson to sign such a deal.

Most likely, Cle simply tenders him at the highest level. Anderson would have a salary of maybe $2m (I don't know what the amount is right now). Any team that wants to steal him would have to give Cle a 1st and 3rd, which rarely ever happens. So Cle can most likely keep Anderson for another season for minimal cost.

There are two downsides to this.

One. Anderson would then be an UFA the following year, and Cle could not get compensation for him. They "could" tag him at that point in order to trade him, but teams could call their bluff and wait for them to remove the tag and sign him w/o compensation.

Two. Cle may not want to wait two years before giving their 1st round pick a chance to start. The sooner he starts, the sooner he starts to develop.

I thought I heard on the radio a while back his contract right now was relativiely cheap because the bonus is prorated or something. I see the Browns keeping both. Let me see if I can find some info on his contract.

Edit: Found this on a board....not sure on it's accuracy, but I thought I heard something similar to this before....so TIFWIW

Why would anyone trade a known commodity in one of the top-4 performing quarterbacks in the league for a guy that hasn't taken an NFL snap just to get a slightly higher draft pick? Also, they technically can't trade Anderson. He's a RFA at the end of the year, which means he can take offers from the highest bidders and the Cleveland Browns have the rights to match it. While they do get draft picks as compensation, it's possible that the highest bidder isn't in top 10 draft position next year. Last and repeating my prior question, why trade Quinn and accelerate his $7.75 against the cap. His whole contract for this year and the next 4, including his bonus is $9.2 million. He has escalators for taking snaps that could trigger another $11 million, but the Browns are in no hurry to put him in a position to do it. He's costing less than $2 million a year right now. Browns can easily afford to give Anderson a contract AND keep Brady Quinn. The whole idea that the Browns are between some rock and a hard place just seems stupid to me. IMO, what they do next year is sign Derek Anderson, and field offers for Brady Quinn if they're reasonable.

Derek Anderson isn't going anywhere this year.

Browns GM Phil Savage said Wednesday morning that Derek Anderson will be the team's starting quarterback in 2008.

Anderson, a Pro Bowl alternate, threw 29 touchdowns and 19 interceptions in his first year as a starter. Savage feels Anderson deserves "a chance to go into the batter's box and swing for the fences next year. Our expectation is that he'll hit some home runs for us." Savage says a long-term contract is a possibility for Anderson and indicated that he's off the market in trade talks. Brady Quinn will open the season as a backup.