Draft position #14

Wesson44

I'll puke if JA takes Woodson with the first pick. My only options there are

Kenny Phillips

Ryan Clady

Jeff Otah

Johnathan Stewart

Felix Jones

And I'd only think about taking one of the RBs if the OL is addressed in FA.

And I'll puke if JA takes a RB in the first round.

The Phillips, OL, OL, Flacco (or Brennan) draft idea posted earlier would be great.

...we could go OL with 2nd round pick and our first 3rd, and then go Flacco with our 4th pick (actually our second 3rd rounder), or an OL with our 2nd, WR with our 3rd, then Flacco.

So maybe something like...

1. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

2. Gosder Cherilus, OL, Boston College

3. Barry Richardson, OL, Clemson

4. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

Just giving credit here....I like this idea for a draft. And if Phillips ends up being as athletic as Taylor was, then the draft is wonderful.

Just giving credit here....I like this idea for a draft. And if Phillips ends up being as athletic as Taylor was, then the draft is wonderful.

Phillips is one of few that I would like at 14 if a top LOT is unavailable. Otherwise, if the cream of the crop at LOT is gone, JA, Please trade down if you can find a GM willing to trade up for 14!!

Phillips is one of few that I would like at 14 if a top LOT is unavailable. Otherwise, if the cream of the crop at LOT is gone, JA, Please trade down if you can find a GM willing to trade up for 14!!

Exactly. If we can trade our 14th pick to a team that would give us their 1st rounder in the 25-26 range, and then their 2nd rounder, we'd have 1 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. Or as you, Pixote, said in another thread, we could get that team's 2nd and 3rd, so we'd have 3 2nds and 3 3rds :cheers

Exactly. If we can trade our 14th pick to a team that would give us their 1st rounder in the 25-26 range, and then their 2nd rounder, we'd have 1 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. Or as you, Pixote, said in another thread, we could get that team's 2nd and 3rd, so we'd have 3 2nds and 3 3rds :cheers

The one potential pitfall with that thinking is: roster spots. Specifically, it's always nice to stockpile high picks, but you still have to have somewhere to play them. Just look at the last 2 years...in order to whittle down the roster to the correct size, the Bears have made use of the IR list as a sort of redshirt year, where they hold onto a guy but he doesn't take up a roster spot. Owko, Bazuin, Dvoracek have all gone that route. At some point, especially in an era of a rising cap, it does make sense to hold onto a higher pick rather than trade down because you just don't have a place to put all the guys you're drafting.

Then again, with the Bears FA losses, who knows exactly where they'll stand at the end of this year on roster numbers. Just an issue to consider. A #14 pick might be more useful than a #25 pick and a 2nd rounder if the 2nd rounder has no where to play next year.

My dream "first day"...trade down for a 1st and 2nd in the 20's...

1-23?) Chris Williams, OT - Vanderbilt

-Future LT and starts right away

2-13) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware

-Future QB and learns for a year or two

2-23?) Roy Schuening, OG - Oregon St.

-Future G who comes in right away and competes (similar player to Logan Mankins)

3-12) Tavares Gooden, LB - Miami

-With Briggs likely leaving, and Urlacher's health in question, he adds some depth and contributes on ST before eventually taking over for someone in a few years

3-27) Jonathan Hefney, DB - Tennessee

-Adds depth, can play FS or CB. Could allow us to keep only 9 DB's instead 10 (9 DL, 7 LB)

My dream "first day"...trade down for a 1st and 2nd in the 20's...

1-23?) Chris Williams, OT - Vanderbilt

-Future LT and starts right away

2-13) Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware

-Future QB and learns for a year or two

2-23?) Roy Schuening, OG - Oregon St.

-Future G who comes in right away and competes (similar player to Logan Mankins)

3-12) Tavares Gooden, LB - Miami

-With Briggs likely leaving, and Urlacher's health in question, he adds some depth and contributes on ST before eventually taking over for someone in a few years

3-27) Jonathan Hefney, DB - Tennessee

-Adds depth, can play FS or CB. Could allow us to keep only 9 DB's instead 10 (9 DL, 7 LB)

You really want to use our 1st 2nd rounder on Flacco when we can get him with our 2nd 3rd rounder. Also, why get Gooden there, when we have deeper needs at that point, like WR? We could probably get Steve Johnson from UK there.

You really want to use our 1st 2nd rounder on Flacco when we can get him with our 2nd 3rd rounder. Also, why get Gooden there, when we have deeper needs at that point, like WR? We could probably get Steve Johnson from UK there.

Flacco could potentially wind up being a 1st rounder. His value has been on the rise and just because he went to Delaware won't neccesarily make him drop. The thing that will make him drop is if he has poor preformances at the Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro Day.

As for Gooden, I thought about WR there. But WR rarely ever make an impact in their first year, and this is a some-what deep receiver draft. At WILL we will likely have Williams and Okwo, and that's fine. But with Ayanbadejo's future up in the air (and he's nothing more then a special teams ace and backup, IMO), and Urlacher having questionable health, I think LB is the bigger need. Also, Steve Johnson would likely be a reach in the 3rd and we need more of a bigger possession receiver anyway. Adarius Bowman, if he's available, at our pick in the 3rd would be VERY tempting.

With all that being said, I think we can get better value with someone like Gooden with our 3rd pick and a guy to develop second day, since a first day receiver would need time to develop anyway. We could even go the route of signing someone like Drew Carter or D.J. Hackett cheap.