Draft position #14

Wesson44

No question OL should be our #1 look. LT has been a need for over a decade, and this looks like one of the best drafts in recent memory at the position. Rare combo of when our need matches draft strength.

The only two other positions I think potential are:

QB - MANY here will disagree, but if a QB Angelo likes slips down, there is no questioning that QB is a need.

S - Again, no question safety is a need. If Kenny Phillips falls to us, especially if this happens because several teams went OT in front of us, then I can see the as a possibility. Again, like w/ OT, you have need match up w/ best available.

I believe that the best player available at that draft spot should be taken. No matter what. Now if the best player available happens to be an O-lineman then by all means go for it. Or QB or RB or Safety. I would hate to see the bears pick some guy who is worhty of a mid twenty spot at best at 14, and then pay him 14 money. If the guy you want isn't the best player when your number comes up, then trade down to when you think he will be the best player available and try to get something else in the deal. Just look at Miami last year. Ted Ginn was not a top 10 pick. If they wanted him so bad they could've traded down a couple of spots and still gotten him. But now they are paying him top 10 pick money and I don't think he is worth it yet.

I believe that the best player available at that draft spot should be taken. No matter what. Now if the best player available happens to be an O-lineman then by all means go for it. Or QB or RB or Safety. I would hate to see the bears pick some guy who is worhty of a mid twenty spot at best at 14, and then pay him 14 money. If the guy you want isn't the best player when your number comes up, then trade down to when you think he will be the best player available and try to get something else in the deal. Just look at Miami last year. Ted Ginn was not a top 10 pick. If they wanted him so bad they could've traded down a couple of spots and still gotten him. But now they are paying him top 10 pick money and I don't think he is worth it yet.

Exactly, which is why I think if Kenny Phillips magically slips by New Orleans (may get by them b/c they may go CB), Denver (may get by them b/c they may go DE or DT b/c their run D is horrible), Cincy, Buffalo, and Carolina (don't follow those teams too closesly, but I'm sure a stud safety couldn't hurt) then I'd love to see the Bears take him. He is an absolute monster back there in the secondary and I was reading somewhere that compared guys in the draft to current/former NFL players, they said Phillips reminds them of John Lynch and Sean Taylor. If he's there, I'd be all for that pick.

With that, we could go OL with 2nd round pick and our first 3rd, and then go Flacco with our 4th pick (actually our second 3rd rounder), or an OL with our 2nd, WR with our 3rd, then Flacco.

So maybe something like...

1. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

2. Gosder Cherilus, OL, Boston College

3. Barry Richardson, OL, Clemson

4. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

"Well Houston we have a problem" Let say we don't resign Grossman,Briggs, Brown(LG) & Berrian what do we do?

Honestly, unless we tag Berrian I believe we do lose all 4. Berrian's the only killer of the group. Moose is pretty much done and the coaches have realized that. The 2nd half of the season you rarely saw him in during the 4th quarter of meaningful games. Which means we're potentially losing two starting WR's and there are few available in free agency. Mark Bradley's proven nothing and Rashied is a nice #5 (I think we'll resign him). Lovie said Hester can be a legit #1, but we'd be crazy to think he'll remember the playbook. I don't want to see him on the field too much since it seems to take away from his kick/punt returns.

That's the only real problem of the bunch. I see us letting Rex or Griese go and drafting a #3 QB. Briggs is replaced by Williams/Okwo, and we'll look to sign a guard. Hell, John St. Clair was our best starting LG this season (which ain't saying much.)

OL really are over-rated. Did you read that article in the Bears web site. Apparantly, there were several positives, including some big plays we had. Also, if I read correct, we ranked toward the top in passing yards for a bear team.

Not only do I feel we should ignore the draft, but FA too, at least traditional FAs. Watching our games this year got me thinking. I think we need to think outside the box. Instead of NFL, or college, what about taking a look at Europe? I know NFL Europe is gone, but Spain in particular may have some guys we want to look at.

Ever been to a bull fight. Man, our OL has nothing on those Matadors. Wow. They way they turn and allow a bull to run right past them is incredible. Only Miller might be in their league, though Metcalf tries awfully hard. I say we just sign a bunch of Matadors. Then we can all scream "olay" every snap.

OL really are over-rated. Did you read that article in the Bears web site. Apparantly, there were several positives, including some big plays we had. Also, if I read correct, we ranked toward the top in passing yards for a bear team.

Not only do I feel we should ignore the draft, but FA too, at least traditional FAs. Watching our games this year got me thinking. I think we need to think outside the box. Instead of NFL, or college, what about taking a look at Europe? I know NFL Europe is gone, but Spain in particular may have some guys we want to look at.

Ever been to a bull fight. Man, our OL has nothing on those Matadors. Wow. They way they turn and allow a bull to run right past them is incredible. Only Miller might be in their league, though Metcalf tries awfully hard. I say we just sign a bunch of Matadors. Then we can all scream "olay" every snap.

LOL now that was a funny post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still laughing

My wife is from Spain and having seen the real deal in bull fighting in Madrid, I can personally vouch that we already have adequate Matadors on our Oline. There's no need to go to Spain to recruit more.

Draft Mendenhall (He'll be moving up I guarantee it by the time workouts come around)

Draft some offensive tackle

Draft one of the Hawaii receivers

Draft Colt Brennan

add a few more OL and we've got ourselves a good draft.

LOL, no name for a wide reciever, just "one of the hawaii recievers".

Maybe we issue the OL swords. Maybe that is the problem. Matadors in Spain have swords they stick into the bulls when the bulls pass by. How about we issue each OL swords to stick into the DL as the DL goes by.

Problem is the matador gets one sword and just one shot to kill the bull. Our Oline would need a backup plan.

Came across this mock draft on rivals.com and here's what it says at good ole #14:

14. Chicago (7-9)

The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky

The buzz: The Bears are hoping to land a future offensive leader in the first round

Haven't seen his name floated around much so I'm going to assume most of you guys would hate that selection. I honestly don't follow enough college football so I don't know a whole hell of a lot about him. I agree with the folks that have stated we need to secure an o-lineman or two first.