You don't like the Bears' WRs?!

jason

So, everyone is so down on the Bears' WRs. I happen to think the bunch isn't actually that bad, but they simply don't get much chance since the line has done so poorly, the running game blew this year, and the QB play has been as inconsistent as Bea Arthur's bladder. Nonetheless, there are two guys who are available for big money, but are pretty much sure to produce.

1. Randy Moss - I'm sure the Pats want to keep him, but what would it take to go after him?

2. Chad Johnson - He's clearly not happy in Cincy.

Do you want them? If you don't, and it's for a reason other than financial, then I just don't buy it. You can't have everything. You either get great, prima-donna WRs, or you get the guys we have now. The great WRs who don't have big heads are few and far between.

One. I do not know how legit it is to say those two WRs are available. Everything I have read has indicated Moss will not be available. NE may slap the tag on him, or just workout a deal, but there have been no indications he will be testing FA. As for CJ, he has talked about wanting out (didn't McNabb do the same a year ago) but his coach has said he has no intention of trading him.

Two. Getting away from that, I do not agree that in order to have a great WR, you have to take the baggage to go w/ it.

While there are definitely some (CJ, TO & Moss) many other top WRs do not seem to carry the same baggage. Looking over the top 10...

Reggie Wayne/Harrison

Fitz/Boldin

Brandon Marshall

Braylon Edwards

Roddy White (new to the list, but he was a stud)

Colston

Holt

In the next 10 (non-TEs)

Welker

Engram

Housh

Cotchery

Curtis

Mason

Driver

So in the top 20 at WR, only 3 are what I would label prima dona. There are others, sure. Javon Walker comes to mind. But my point is, not all upper tier WRs are prima donas. I think it is more a matter of the ones that are pretty much steal all the press.

Three. Regarding our WRs, there can definitely be the argument that our WRs have suffered from poor surrounding talent. At the same time, it would be just as easy to argue the WRs were part of the problem. Might our QBs have looked better if not for all the dropped balls. How about all the questionable route running we have seen. And plenty often I watched our WRs stuggle to get off the LOS clean, or gain much separation.

Berrian does have talent and plenty of potential. I would have no issue keeping him. The problem is, the liklihood is his market value will be way over-priced due to the weak crop of FA WRs.

Moose - Frankly, his entire career has been up and down, w/ more down than up. He had a career year, and we signed him, and he has never looked nearly as good. He was supposed to help our QB, not depend on him. He definitely looks like a player past his prime and heading the wrong way.

Bradley - He is always either injured or in the coaches dog house. While he was our highest pick among WRs, he simply has shown little to cause much optimism, especially when you listen to the staff talk about him.

Hester - All the skill in the world, by light years behind in development. Expectations are likely too high, at least for now, for a WR that didn't even know where to lineup this year.

Davis - "nice" slant WR and depth chart guy, but seriously. On a team w/ good WR talent, where would he really rank? Would he even be on the field?

We can argue day and night whether it is our WRs defeciences that cause our QB woes, or the other way around. Likely, it is a combo, but I find it hard to argue that we have a great group of WRs that have simply been held back.

So, everyone is so down on the Bears' WRs. I happen to think the bunch isn't actually that bad, but they simply don't get much chance since the line has done so poorly, the running game blew this year, and the QB play has been as inconsistent as Bea Arthur's bladder. Nonetheless, there are two guys who are available for big money, but are pretty much sure to produce.

1. Randy Moss - I'm sure the Pats want to keep him, but what would it take to go after him?

Do you want them? If you don't, and it's for a reason other than financial, then I just don't buy it. You can't have everything. You either get great, prima-donna WRs, or you get the guys we have now. The great WRs who don't have big heads are few and far between.

I don't want them. And it's not financial (or, at least, not just financial).

As for Moss, you say he's "pretty much sure to produce". How quickly we forget:

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2004 MIN 13 49 767 15.7 82 13 43 1 1

2005 OAK 16 60 1005 16.8 79 8 46 0 0

2006 OAK 13 42 553 13.2 51 3 29 0 0

He quit on the Raiders. He did. What makes you think he won't do the same thing with Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, or a rookie throwing him the ball? Because if we pay big money for Moss, you aren't going to be able to sign a big name QB if one becomes available.

As for Johnson, he's only going to be available via trade. Are you prepared to trade your next two first round picks for him, or your first and second this year? My guess is that's what it's going to take, and someone will probably pay it or close to it (Jacksonville makes a ton of sense to me). Plus he'll want an extension once he signs. If you think spending a big part of our salary room, giving away two premium draft picks, and similarly keeping the team from being able to add much else in free agency is worth it for Johnson, I'd love to hear your case.

I blew that last post. But to answer your question Jason: I would not mind either one of those guys if the situation was right. I am just not sure if any of our QB's could keep them happy. How can Ocho be unhappy catching some of the prettiest thrown passes in the NFL. Sure they don't have a D. But what is worse? No D or no camera time for Ocho? As far as Moss is concerned. If we win, he will perform and make our QB's better. He's that good. But again, how could you leave the Patriots? Only reason I see is a bank breaker.

After last season you can bet Moss is expecting to break the bank. I thought he had an agreement with NE that they would not tag him but I could be wrong. If they tag him he's gonna be pissed because he wants that huge signing bonus so he can go back to being lackadaisical on the field.

Read an interesting piece on his situation. Might have been PFT, but for those PFT haters, they are often excellent on contract discussion, as opposed to rumors.

Anyway, while I do not recall the exact details, there is actually a short period of time between when he becomes a FA and when they are able to actually sign him to a new deal. I think it has to do w/ being traded, and not being able to re-sign w/ his new team until a certain date, which is a short period after the start of FA.

Anyway, they talked about possibly having to tag him just so they could re-sign him, but doing so w/ agreements already in place.

I don't know. He may well look to break the bank, but I think there is a decent chance he doesn't. He had more success in NE than anytime in his career. He was in the SB, and sticking w/ NE may be his greatest chance to return. W/ Brady, Welker and Co., he knows he is likely to again have a great season.

Maybe he has learned nothing, and will simply go for the coin, but he has earned a ton of money already and NE will give him plenty. I think he may at this point in his career realize that most teams that might offer him more money also offer a far lesser chance of gaining a ring, not to mention the opportunity for those records. So I would not be shocked, despite his history, if Moss "gets it" and signs w/ NE for less than market value (though not for chump change by any means) looking at the potential for records and rings.

I don't want them. And it's not financial (or, at least, not just financial).

As for Moss, you say he's "pretty much sure to produce". How quickly we forget:

YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST

2004 MIN 13 49 767 15.7 82 13 43 1 1

2005 OAK 16 60 1005 16.8 79 8 46 0 0

2006 OAK 13 42 553 13.2 51 3 29 0 0

He quit on the Raiders. He did. What makes you think he won't do the same thing with Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, or a rookie throwing him the ball? Because if we pay big money for Moss, you aren't going to be able to sign a big name QB if one becomes available.

I remember Merrill Hodge ripping him up an down for quiting on plays in Minny. I never ever want a player on my team that doesn't give a hundred percent - period.

Peace :bears

Despite the bad offensive line play that shouldnt effect our wide outs dropping passes. Another hug flaw our receivers have is they absolutely never attempt to bat down passes if there is a risk of them getting intercepted. Moss is one of the best in the league at doing that.

As great as both those guys are they both would be very expensive and neither would want to play here anyway based on our offensive situation. Moss took a paycut to get traded to a winner. Think hes gonna sign with a team that has no qb?