BRING BACK BOOKER!!!

'TD'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3241124

Updated: February 11, 2008, 4:06 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

MIAMI -- Quarterback Trent Green was acquired by the Miami Dolphins last year as part of a plan to turn the franchise's fortunes around.

Trent Green

Green

Not surprisingly, Bill Parcells' ideas differ from the previous model.

In the Dolphins' first major player purge since Parcells took charge of Miami's football operations, the team parted ways with Green, wide receiver Marty Booker and seven other players Monday -- ushering in the start of what's expected to be a massive offseason roster shakeup by the rebuilding franchise.

"This is never easy, especially since all of these players worked hard during their tenure here," new Dolphins' general manager Jeff Ireland said.

Other notable cuts by the Dolphins included tackle L.J. Shelton and massive defensive tackle Keith Traylor, both of whom were starters.

Miami also waived tackle Anthony Alabi, defensive tackle Anthony Bryant, tackle Marion Dukes, defensive tackle Marquay Love and tackle Joe Toledo.

Most of these moves were expected, and more will undoubtedly follow over the coming weeks as Miami looks to retool following its 1-15 season. The Dolphins haven't made the playoffs in six seasons, the longest stretch in franchise history.

Green was placed on injured reserve in October after his second severe concussion in 13 months, and the 37-year-old may contemplate retirement. Traylor suggested at times last season that his 16th season may be his last.

Booker caught 50 passes in 2007, but managed only one touchdown for the second time in his four seasons with the Dolphins. Shelton started all 32 games during his two-year stay with the Dolphins and had two years left on his contract in Miami.

"I want to thank all of them for their contributions to the Dolphins and wish them good luck," Ireland said.

Parcells has already reshaped the front office, firing general manager Randy Mueller and other members of the team's player personnel staff. The coaching staff was rebuilt, most notably with Tony Sparano brought in to replace Cam Cameron.

With the start of free agency Feb. 29, Parcells' eye has clearly turned toward the roster.

"In the case of each of the veterans, it's especially difficult to release players who have been productive and valued members of the organization," Ireland said. "However, we feel these decisions are in the best interest of the team."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, maybe.. I'd rather wait and see what they do with the whole Chad Johnson situation first before..

The Johnson situation has all the hallmarks of one that could last well past the draft and in to summer workouts and training camp. It's ok to have some patience over the next couple weeks, but if Berrian does walk and Moose is cut, the Bears can't afford to wait very long and have the best couple options on the WR market pass them by because they're waiting on the Bengals to drop their asking price.

The Bears can go ahead and put in the call, see if there's any hope if they make a solid offer like one of their DE's or a draft pick. But if the Bengals are going to hold out for a monster package, then waiting to see if he'll hold out and force them to cut the price will keep the Bears from upgrading at a position of need.

I think regardless, it's worth picking up Booker.

The Johnson situation has all the hallmarks of one that could last well past the draft and in to summer workouts and training camp. It's ok to have some patience over the next couple weeks, but if Berrian does walk and Moose is cut, the Bears can't afford to wait very long and have the best couple options on the WR market pass them by because they're waiting on the Bengals to drop their asking price.

The Bears can go ahead and put in the call, see if there's any hope if they make a solid offer like one of their DE's or a draft pick. But if the Bengals are going to hold out for a monster package, then waiting to see if he'll hold out and force them to cut the price will keep the Bears from upgrading at a position of need.

I think regardless, it's worth picking up Booker.

There's still bound to be a couple other cap casualties in the next few weeks before the FA period officially starts. Booker is one option. Walker is another. Holding on to Moose but reworking his contract is another. There will probably be a few more.

Agreed. But Booker doesn't have the injury history. I think it's time to cut ties with Moose, unless we can't land another vet in FA.

There's still bound to be a couple other cap casualties in the next few weeks before the FA period officially starts. Booker is one option. Walker is another. Holding on to Moose but reworking his contract is another. There will probably be a few more.

I don't think Chad Johnson will even be an option. I think he won't want to come here given the quarterback situation since forever, despite what he said on the radio. I think he just wants out for no apparent reason.

I don't like the idea of Walker, this is the second team he's caused troubles with. I just don't see him happy here either.

Booker on the other hand, the guy is solid. He might not be great, but I think he's an upgrade as a receiver over anyone signed on this team. I think Berrian(unsigned) could be better, but isn't better yet.

The guy owns Bears receiving records, and I always hated that he had to go. Will he want to come back? Probably not, he was burnt pretty bad by the whole deal. He has great value, so I would love to see them try. I think his demand will be small, and so will the contract he signs for. His number dropped playing beside Chambers(while he was there) and the horrible QB's they had in Miami.

I honestly have a feeling he will go to minny tho. They seem to go after about every WR that used to be a Bear. Wade, Robinson, and bates a few years ago, and whoever else.

Disagree with bringing in Booker. At least at this point. I just don't see how he fits in with this team. Booker does not have the speed that Turner craves, which is why Terry Shea wanted to dump him to begin with. Booker is a good possession type receiver with great route-running ability. He doesn't have much size or speed, and he'll be 32 by the time the season starts.

Reading the above posts, I get the impression that it's "dump Moose & bring back Booker." Is Booker any better? Seriously I doubt it. Don't speak lightly of dumping Moose. Yes he's been a dissappointment overall, but he's a team captain, a team leader, and he's a pro. His cap value is 3 million this year (thanks LT!) which ain't bad. He'll be back.

Looking at the receivers next year, I genuinely believe we'll bring back Rashied Davis to be our 5th receiver. He's great on special teams & he's a solid WR. He's restricted and I can't imagine him getting many offers.

Mark Bradley is back for one more season. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Hester is expected to see his WR role expanded this season.

Moose will be back IMO.

That leaves room for one more. Hopefully Berrian returns, but if he doesn't, I'd bank we'll either draft or sign a burner that can stretch the field. Either way, I don't see Booker fitting in with this group.

If we did bring Booker back I expect we'd be dissappointed the same way we've been with Moose.

It's a must he was the only consistent WR I can remember. :pray

Here's my gut feeling- if we lose Berrian, we need to make a blockbuster trade for a WR. Otherwise, it'll be a 4-6 win season next year. But hey, at least if that happens we can get Jeremy Maclin with our high pick, who will be a sophmore WR for Missouri next year, or Michael Crabtree, an absolute stud, who will also be a sophmore, WR from Texas Tech. Of course, those guys have to declare first.

Disagree with bringing in Booker. At least at this point. I just don't see how he fits in with this team. Booker does not have the speed that Turner craves, which is why Terry Shea wanted to dump him to begin with. Booker is a good possession type receiver with great route-running ability. He doesn't have much size or speed, and he'll be 32 by the time the season starts.

Reading the above posts, I get the impression that it's "dump Moose & bring back Booker." Is Booker any better? Seriously I doubt it. Don't speak lightly of dumping Moose. Yes he's been a dissappointment overall, but he's a team captain, a team leader, and he's a pro. His cap value is 3 million this year (thanks LT!) which ain't bad. He'll be back.

Looking at the receivers next year, I genuinely believe we'll bring back Rashied Davis to be our 5th receiver. He's great on special teams & he's a solid WR. He's restricted and I can't imagine him getting many offers.

Mark Bradley is back for one more season. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Hester is expected to see his WR role expanded this season.

Moose will be back IMO.

That leaves room for one more. Hopefully Berrian returns, but if he doesn't, I'd bank we'll either draft or sign a burner that can stretch the field. Either way, I don't see Booker fitting in with this group.

If we did bring Booker back I expect we'd be dissappointed the same way we've been with Moose.

I hate when people say that, b/c obviously it doesn't matter. You got a burner in Berrian and an absolute speedster in Hester and Turner threw a total of like 12 bombs this year, so he can blow that "I want speed WR's" statement out of his @$$.

I hate when people say that, b/c obviously it doesn't matter. You got a burner in Berrian and an absolute speedster in Hester and Turner threw a total of like 12 bombs this year, so he can blow that "I want speed WR's" statement out of his @$$.

I disagree with that too. We have speed, we need hands. Booker isnt anything spectacular but he is (was) sure handed. It would be nice to have a guy out there who can trust on third downs. his numbers have obviously been on the decline but he is on one of the only few teams that has had worse qb problems than the Bears the past few years.

Damn near every time Hester went down field he had a corner all over him and a safety covering the top. Even when we didn't throw to him we had one player essentially taking two defenders out of the rest of the equation. In theory, this opens things up for our running-game and our WR's. (Sending WR's deep is why we had so much success running the ball Orton's rookie year).

Guys like Moose & Booker will never see double coverage. When we had Berrian & Hester going long the 2nd half of the season, our offense started to click.

Granted, it works out best if you have a guy like Randy Moss who's 6-4 and is strong enough, big enough, and fast enough to beat the coverage. But if you don't have a true #1, you're best bet is to send your speed guys to stretch the field.

Either way, Booker would not bring much to this offense. Did I mention he's relatively short, slow, and he'll be 32?

Either way, Booker would not bring much to this offense. Did I mention he's relatively short, slow, and he'll be 32?

Wow. I couldn't disagree with this more. Booker is 31 (will be 32 in August). He's not as fast as he used to be but I bet he has more speed than Moose who can't get open or hold onto the ball. Booker never had a problem dropping the ball when he was here.

I will compare him to another ex Bear.

Booker 31, 509 receptions, 6311 yds, 34 TDS

Engram 35, 598 receptions, 7201 yds, 35 TDS

Engram just came off a career yr - 94 receptions, 1147 yds, with 6 TDS at 35!!! No reason Booker couldn't provide the same type of boost for us given he is 4 yrs younger.

I'll take Marty over Moose anyday.

Peace

I have a few comments.

One. I disagree w/ the comment that most of the times Hester went deep, he was covered. Frankly, I oftens saw him open downfield, but either the QB didn't hit him, or he dropped it. To be honest though, I just didn't see him go downfield often, which I never understood. When he went downfield, he drew double coverage (as you mentioned) but often I saw his speed flat out beat the CB and he also would get behind the S. But what I didn't get was why we didn't do it more. Even if the play wasn't designed for him, at least he drew that safety away.

Two. Sure, the idea of Berrian and Hester is great, but how often did you really see that? There isn't an OC in the league that wouldn't love to field a group of speed threats, but they are worthless when (a) your OL can't hold their blocks, (B) the WRs struggle getting clean/quick sep off the LOS © the WRs run questionable routes and (d) the WRs drop the freaking ball.

I have screamed for a possession WR like Engram since we cut him. Booker did well in that regard, but then we traded him. Since we sent Booker packing, we have not had a WR who the QB could simply count on. More than anything IMHO, we need a WR that gets off the LOS clean, makes sharp breaks, knows where the freaking 1st down marker is, and catches everything thrown to him. That is Booker.

So often we ask how much better Rex and Co. might have looked if they had a reliable WR to throw to. Well, while Booker may not be a game breaker, he could be that reliable WR that moves the chains, provides fresh sets of downs, and allows our playmakers to make plays. If Bradley, Hester (or whatever speed WRs we use) can focus on downfield routes because a reliable WR like Booker is underneath, it could open up the offense far more than simply fielding a group of speed threats.

Three. I would personally cut Moose (which would basically be breaking even w/ the cap) and sign Booker in a heartbeat. I think Booker is simply far better. Moose was inconsistent through his entire career, and we signed him after a career year w/ lofty expectations. Since we signed him, he has not come close to showing the same level. I would blame it more on the QBs if not for all the drops. Booker may not be young, but he appears FAR better than Moose at this point in their careers.

W/ all that said, I don't see it happening. How many times do we as bear fans talk about bringing back this former player or that former player, only to see Angelo show zero interest.

I have a few comments.

Don't you always?

One. I disagree w/ the comment that most of the times Hester went deep, he was covered. Frankly, I oftens saw him open downfield, but either the QB didn't hit him, or he dropped it. To be honest though, I just didn't see him go downfield often, which I never understood. When he went downfield, he drew double coverage (as you mentioned) but often I saw his speed flat out beat the CB and he also would get behind the S. But what I didn't get was why we didn't do it more. Even if the play wasn't designed for him, at least he drew that safety away.

Two. Sure, the idea of Berrian and Hester is great, but how often did you really see that? There isn't an OC in the league that wouldn't love to field a group of speed threats, but they are worthless when (a) your OL can't hold their blocks, (B) the WRs struggle getting clean/quick sep off the LOS © the WRs run questionable routes and (d) the WRs drop the freaking ball.

I have screamed for a possession WR like Engram since we cut him. Booker did well in that regard, but then we traded him. Since we sent Booker packing, we have not had a WR who the QB could simply count on. More than anything IMHO, we need a WR that gets off the LOS clean, makes sharp breaks, knows where the freaking 1st down marker is, and catches everything thrown to him. That is Booker.

So often we ask how much better Rex and Co. might have looked if they had a reliable WR to throw to. Well, while Booker may not be a game breaker, he could be that reliable WR that moves the chains, provides fresh sets of downs, and allows our playmakers to make plays. If Bradley, Hester (or whatever speed WRs we use) can focus on downfield routes because a reliable WR like Booker is underneath, it could open up the offense far more than simply fielding a group of speed threats.

Three. I would personally cut Moose (which would basically be breaking even w/ the cap) and sign Booker in a heartbeat. I think Booker is simply far better. Moose was inconsistent through his entire career, and we signed him after a career year w/ lofty expectations. Since we signed him, he has not come close to showing the same level. I would blame it more on the QBs if not for all the drops. Booker may not be young, but he appears FAR better than Moose at this point in their careers.

W/ all that said, I don't see it happening. How many times do we as bear fans talk about bringing back this former player or that former player, only to see Angelo show zero interest.

I agree with you on most of your above thoughts. However, Booker is old and I wouldn't sign him. I'd find a kid in the draft that looks like him (statistically) and sign him cheap. You can find a WR like this in the 4th round or later. I'd absolutely cut Moose for a kid but not for Booker. I have to believe it's a push on the money side and Moose probably has a step on Marty and statistically they've produced about the same for the last 3 seasons (about 50 catches on average.)

So, I agree with the concept of a "Booker-like" player, just not that Marty is that guy anymore.