Bears release Moose

labears

Check the cost, but hell yea.

Consider this. Many want to re-sign Berrian. Well, I honestly believe Johnson/Booker is a better combo than Berrian/Moose, and frankly, likely at a much cheaper cost.

If Johnson can stay healthy. The story of his career in his ineptitude of staying on the field.

If Johnson can stay healthy. The story of his career in his ineptitude of staying on the field.

Really? I don't know, but his stat sheet shows him to have played in 77 of 80 games in his 5 year career. 1 game missed (or inactive) as a rookie, and 2 more in 2005. The other 3 years shows him to have played in all 16 games.

I just thought it was more a matter of situation. Most often, WRs take 2 to 3 years before they breakout. BJ had the mis-fortune to not only be drafted in the same class, but by the same team, as Boldin, who broke (or threatened, I can't recall) the rookie record w/ 101 catches for 1,377 yards and 8 scores. To make matters worse, the team drafted Fitz the following year.

So here is BJ. He plays a position that usually takes a couple years to adjust to the NFL, and is on a team where two other WRs are taken that breakout sooner than the norm. He was a 1st round pick relegated to 3rd on the depth chart by his 2nd season behind a pair of WRs that form one of the most elite duos in the league. Ouch.

Check the cost, but hell yea.

Consider this. Many want to re-sign Berrian. Well, I honestly believe Johnson/Booker is a better combo than Berrian/Moose, and frankly, likely at a much cheaper cost.

Berrian > Johnson. Johnson is more of a possession receiver who can't really stretch the field. Booker and Johnson would be a horrible combo as neither would be able to stretch the field. Berrian on the other hand can, and has been turning into a play maker in his own right.

Berrian > Johnson. Johnson is more of a possession receiver who can't really stretch the field. Booker and Johnson would be a horrible combo as neither would be able to stretch the field. Berrian on the other hand can, and has been turning into a play maker in his own right.

True, but Javon Walker is also a possible free agent (or trade dump), and if our WR were Walker-Johnson-Bradley-Hester I'd be pretty excited. Both Hester and Walker could stretch the field, and Bradley/Johnson could catch the underneath/over the middle stuff.

As far as money goes signing two free agent WR would be expensive, but they have no choice. Rookie WRs don't usually contribute, and our WRs currently are Hester and Bradley. This team has a ton of holes, and they won't be able to compete this year unless they poney up some serious cash in FA.

Hester can stretch the field. Hopefully if he ever develops, Bradley will be able to also. Weve had the guys who can stretch the field the past few years but no real possession guys with any consistency.

I am not saying Bryant Johnson is better than Berrian. I am saying I like the combination of the two over Berrian/Moose. Booker over Moose is a huge factor in that for me. Also, while Berrian is a far better downfield runner, at the same time, he showed a boat load of inconsistency last year. Finally, also factored for me is how much it would cost to retain Berrian, as opposed to BJ/Booker. I think we can have both BJ and Booker, w/ money left to spend elsewhere, for what it would take to sign Berrian alone.

I understand your argument that neither are big speed threats. Few points.

One. I think it is over-rated to have that great downfield speed threat. I would argue that if you don't have a QB that can get it to the receiver downfield (and does Orton or Griese?) then deep speed doesn't mean that much. To me, an ability to get open and run routes is far superior.

Two. You can use Hester as a 3rd WR for speed. I think we would both agree he has the speed.

Three. If you start to utilize Olsen more, he can provide the downfield threat. No, he doesn't have Berrian speed, but he can be a downfield threat, and the DB/LBs covering him do not have the elite CB speed that Berrian would have to beat.

By my first point is my key point. While everyone lives for that big play, I believe that deep speed can be over-rated, especially if you do not have a QB that can hit the WR downfield, or if you do not have an OL that can protect a QB long enough for the downfield route to develop. We have had the deep speed in Berrian for a few years now, and how much did that tip the balance. I'll take more 3rd down conversions over the couple plays a year where Berrian simply beats a DB deep downfield, and the QB actually connects w/ him.

Hester can stretch the field. Hopefully if he ever develops, Bradley will be able to also. Weve had the guys who can stretch the field the past few years but no real possession guys with any consistency.

Yes, Hester and Bradley can stretch the field, but neither have proven that they can catch. Berrian has proven to be our big play guy and no. 1 receiver.

Yes, Hester and Bradley can stretch the field, but neither have proven that they can catch. Berrian has proven to be our big play guy and no. 1 receiver.

Hey with Mooses contract off the books I wouldnt mind resigning Berrian and I know he would be OUR number one, he still is nowhere near A number one. He is the best option out there though.

Moose may be off the books, but it isn't like we are saving money. When you count the accelerated bonus, per Lt2, I believe his cap hit ends up a wash. So he is off the books, but we do not save money, so I do not think this (financially) affects our intention w/ Berrian.

Problem w/ Berrian is, this is a weak FA WR class, and Berrian is considered the best available (after Moss). It isn't simply that he will not be cheap, but he could be freaking expensive. You are not only going to caugh up #1 WR money for a guy that has not even put up 1,000 yards, but you are likely going to have to pay him more like a pro bowl WR.

This has to be a precursor to a Booker signing.

Either that or a precursor to a Berrian signing. Moose was off the field during the 4th quarter most games last season. In other words, we couldn't count on him to make the big play.

It would make sense that we're resigning Booker, and going with a combination of Mark Bradley, Devin Hester, and whatever guy we draft in the first 3 rounds as our #2.

Really? I don't know, but his stat sheet shows him to have played in 77 of 80 games in his 5 year career. 1 game missed (or inactive) as a rookie, and 2 more in 2005. The other 3 years shows him to have played in all 16 games.

I just thought it was more a matter of situation. Most often, WRs take 2 to 3 years before they breakout. BJ had the mis-fortune to not only be drafted in the same class, but by the same team, as Boldin, who broke (or threatened, I can't recall) the rookie record w/ 101 catches for 1,377 yards and 8 scores. To make matters worse, the team drafted Fitz the following year.

So here is BJ. He plays a position that usually takes a couple years to adjust to the NFL, and is on a team where two other WRs are taken that breakout sooner than the norm. He was a 1st round pick relegated to 3rd on the depth chart by his 2nd season behind a pair of WRs that form one of the most elite duos in the league. Ouch.

I was thinking of DJ Hackett, another possibility for WR as a FA.

The Bears released Moose per NFL.com. While I did not think he had a great year, who are we going to get to replace him? here does that leave us draft wise?

Thankfully. Good luck to him somewhere else. He was not worth what he was being paid. Time to move on.

Peace :bears

I'm kind of thinking I'll hear that Marty Booker has signed in the next day or so; this seems like a definite possibility.

Agreed. The timing of this would indicate that something is already in place. Hell, it might be we're trading for someone. Not likely, but not out of the question.

Either way, by Friday of this week I'd be shocked if we don't have a new WR on the roster.