Why would Rex re-sign w/ us?

nfoligno

Today I am reading that we not only want to re-sign Rex, but that we are confident we will. What I do not understand is, why the hell would Rex want to come back? Even more questionable, why would Rex want to re-sign w/ us before FA begins.

1. Rex has been shredded by his own fans and media in Chicago.

2. The market this year for QBs is so bad, Rex would likely be the top of the heap.

3. We are not going to offer a long term deal, and thus Rex would be banking on having a great year then hitting FA hot, but,

(a) While we all hope for better, we have not today improve the OL a bit, and have in fact created a pair of holes

(B) We have just sent packing both starting WRs from last year, including Rex' favorite target. What is remaining is pretty damn ugly.

© While some (like me) still hold out hope, there is no proven RB on the roster to take pressure off Rex.

So if Rex is banking on a good year to improve his marketability, there is little reason on the bears current roster to indicate he will have the weapons at his disposal to do so.

4. In addition to the above, he supposedly has been told he is guaranteed nothing, and may in fact not even start.

So again I ask, why would Rex re-sign w/ us, and especially, why would Rex re-sign early w/o even testing the FA market.

If I were Rex, I would view the bears as much a fall back plan as the bears appear to view Rex. I would test FA, and see what some other QB desperate teams might offer. Beyond money, I would be interested in what teams wanted me that actually had an offense.

I've brought this same question up before... And really come to the same conlusion as yourself.

The only thing that would make me think he'd come here is if the staff is yet again giving him the starting job regardless of what they tout in the media.

Today I am reading that we not only want to re-sign Rex, but that we are confident we will. What I do not understand is, why the hell would Rex want to come back? Even more questionable, why would Rex want to re-sign w/ us before FA begins.

2. The market this year for QBs is so bad, Rex would likely be the top of the heap.

3. We are not going to offer a long term deal, and thus Rex would be banking on having a great year then hitting FA hot, but,

(a) While we all hope for better, we have not today improve the OL a bit, and have in fact created a pair of holes

(B) We have just sent packing both starting WRs from last year, including Rex' favorite target. What is remaining is pretty damn ugly.

© While some (like me) still hold out hope, there is no proven RB on the roster to take pressure off Rex.

So if Rex is banking on a good year to improve his marketability, there is little reason on the bears current roster to indicate he will have the weapons at his disposal to do so.

4. In addition to the above, he supposedly has been told he is guaranteed nothing, and may in fact not even start.

So again I ask, why would Rex re-sign w/ us, and especially, why would Rex re-sign early w/o even testing the FA market.

If I were Rex, I would view the bears as much a fall back plan as the bears appear to view Rex. I would test FA, and see what some other QB desperate teams might offer. Beyond money, I would be interested in what teams wanted me that actually had an offense.

Rex strikes me as the kind of guy who would want to prove his critics wrong. Prove he can make it in Chicago, prove he can be a quality QB.

He knows the Bears brass likes him. He has to feel that he can beat out Orton in an open competition.

I also don't think anyone is going to give him starter money on a contract longer than a year or 2. I know there are other teams that need QB help, but I can't think of any team that is going to "go after" him.

All that being said, I don't see why you wouldn't test the FA market. Although, Parker is probably getting a pretty good inclination as to who is interested and at what value at the combine this week. Angelo said he wants players that want to be Bears. Maybe he's trying to show that he is one of those players.

I know Grossman was killed by Chicago fans and media last season, but he was killed nationally, not just here.

I can only surmise that the relationship with Rex and the Bears is just one of those sick, twisted tales of love, hate, love, hate, love and hate again. The logic does seem that he stands a better chance to start here simply because he knows he has Turner, Lovie and Angelo in his corner rooting for him so why would he want to go somewhere that NONE of those dynamics exist? Moreover, having to risk being relegated to a third spot would probably be too much for him to handle. We all know how the Bears feel about him so THAT is why he should re-sign with us. Now, as far as why we would want him back? Well, even if he loses his starting job, he's a more than adequate back up. He knows the offense and the players. Also, that sick logic every Bear coach, GM, fan has that says, hey, this will be the year he gets it. He's gonna be the guy we always hoped he'd be. That's all I got.......

Yeah and if you haven't noticed that Griese & Orton are worse than Rex.

Thanks for the news Mr. Sunshine. :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion here, but try to add a small amount of tact to your posts. Your posts always come of as hostile.

For the record, I agree with your opinion on Rex. I hope they sign him, have an open competition in camp and I'm 100% confident he will beat out Orton.

I will say that I didn't think there was a chance in hell that Rex would come back here. If I was him I would bolt and start over. I think it's a sign of his testicular fortitude if he stays here. I think he's chomping at the bit to stay here and prove everyone wrong.

i was giving it some thought the other day and i tried to come up with all the teams that would possibly go after rex and he would be given a chance to earn the starting spot. those teams i came up with? Atlanta, Miami, and the Jets.

Even though theyre not desperate for a QB I think Minnesota is a good fit for him. Parcells wont want him in Miami though. Im sure Drew Bledsoe will be there soon...

I think it best said when there really isn't much else out there. Both Grossman and the Bears are better off trying to make a deal for one year (with LOTS of incentives) and giving him the chance to pull his head out...

The advantage for the Bears is that they don't have to look real high (draft) for a QB (DID I MENTION I REALLY LIKE FLACCO???) and they have a guy (or two with Orton) who know the offense already and can work on tweaking some things. In the meantime, get a new guy into the #3 spot who can start to learn the process.

Rex can prove his worth I think with a contract that is full of incentives for him to achieve. He would also be better served by a better RB (c'mon Michael Turner) and overall Offensive scheme (GO AWAY TURNER!!!). Orton really isn't half bad, not a BIG play QB, but pretty reliable down the stretch. If the Bears had won that last Minnesota game they would have been in the playoffs. And considering that the Giants got to and won the Super Bowl...who knows???

Sign Rex and move onto getting some good FA's in then onto the draft.

i was giving it some thought the other day and i tried to come up with all the teams that would possibly go after rex and he would be given a chance to earn the starting spot. those teams i came up with? Atlanta, Miami, and the Jets.

Do those teams even have any good WRs? I know Coles wants out of NY.

I don't see any reason to want him back, but I could see him wanting back.

He comes back, and the Bears are stuck with the same 3 QB's from last year.

In that, he gets to start thanks to the coaches man love for him.

He goes some where else, and will have to fight for a chance to start for the first time in his professional career.

Plus, there's moving and all that other jazz.

I won't watch a single Bears game next year that he starts. I can't through another year of him holding the team hostage, on what would be the 6th year in a row, and no advancement towards solidifying the hole that's held this team back since the advent of the Super Bowl.

Never in the history of the NFL has a player been given that many chances to succeed at his position, only to fail time after time. It's sickening.

I feel your pain TD.

I can't say I disagree with you...

I don't see any reason to want him back, but I could see him wanting back.

He comes back, and the Bears are stuck with the same 3 QB's from last year.

In that, he gets to start thanks to the coaches man love for him.

He goes some where else, and will have to fight for a chance to start for the first time in his professional career.

Plus, there's moving and all that other jazz.

I won't watch a single Bears game next year that he starts. I can't through another year of him holding the team hostage, on what would be the 6th year in a row, and no advancement towards solidifying the hole that's held this team back since the advent of the Super Bowl.

Never in the history of the NFL has a player been given that many chances to succeed at his position, only to fail time after time. It's sickening.

I'm glad to see the Bears are close to getting Grossman back. I think they gave up on him to early last year. He should have at least gotten a chance against Detroit before pulling the plug. If Grossman re-signs, I still hope to see the Bears draft a QB on day 1. Hopefully we can get Flacco, preferably with the later 2nd.

Grossman + (Tait+Garza+Kreutz+Faneca+Otah) = Eli Manning. Not a great comparison, but my point is Manning looked much improved when he had time in the pocket and WR's that were catching everything close. Give Rex a little more time w/o pressure and have his WR's make catches like the NYG's and the tunes will change.

If we get Flacco or comperable...I'll be more than OK with the Grossman re-signing. If we don't...I'm going to be livid.

I certainly know why you'd say give Rex another chance, but I personally had seen enough. I felt they gave him enough rope to hang himself, and he did jsut that. I was screaming for a benching far earlier. I never understood why the coaching staff (Lovie) would not pull him in the 4th quarter when it was obvious Rex was flustered and getting anything done. I felt as though those quick pulls could have made some significant differences. Yet, there he was in there throwing more pics, fumbling more snaps,etc... I just never understood the reasoning. I never will. Those games were winnable with a change of pace. Sometimes that's all that's needed. And who knows, maybe it would have beene nough to give Rex a shot of reality.

Please don't equate Rex with Eli, it's not fair to Eli. We had all those elements in place in the SB, and Rex failed miserabley. And Eli was a #1 overall pick...he is expected better and is better than Rex. Also, they key is that Eli has improved, not regressed. Also, when faced with pressure, Eli handles it far better. Res folds like a house of cards. And then snowballs into endless mistakes.

I'm glad to see the Bears are close to getting Grossman back. I think they gave up on him to early last year. He should have at least gotten a chance against Detroit before pulling the plug. If Grossman re-signs, I still hope to see the Bears draft a QB on day 1. Hopefully we can get Flacco, preferably with the later 2nd.

Grossman + (Tait+Garza+Kreutz+Faneca+Otah) = Eli Manning. Not a great comparison, but my point is Manning looked much improved when he had time in the pocket and WR's that were catching everything close. Give Rex a little more time w/o pressure and have his WR's make catches like the NYG's and the tunes will change.

How about Eli? He has 57 career starts, yet he has never had a QB rating over 78. This year his QB rating was 73.9. Exactly the same as Rex's in 2006. They both also had identical TDs at 23, and INTs at 20.

Vince Young, career QB Rating of 69.0, yet he has started two years straight.

I am not defending Rex, but there are a numerous QBs who get chance after chance to prove themselves. Harrington and Kerry Collins also fit that mold even though they did it with different teams.

With the exception of Eli, I'm not sure that's good company to be in...

How about Eli? He has 57 career starts, yet he has never had a QB rating over 78. This year his QB rating was 73.9. Exactly the same as Rex's in 2006. They both also had identical TDs at 23, and INTs at 20.

Vince Young, career QB Rating of 69.0, yet he has started two years straight.

I am not defending Rex, but there are a numerous QBs who get chance after chance to prove themselves. Harrington and Kerry Collins also fit that mold even though they did it with different teams.