Pats to release Colvin

ostrogoth

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reports that the Patriots are expected to release LB Rosevelt Colvin today.

His $5.5 million base salary combined with a foot injury sealed his fate. We're still surprised because they are very thin and old at the position. Colvin quickly becomes one of the most intriguing names available at linebacker, while the Patriots need to add a lot talent to the position. Feb. 26 - 2:39 pm et

Source: Boston Globe

I'm tempted to go after him...

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reports that the Patriots are expected to release LB Rosevelt Colvin today.

His $5.5 million base salary combined with a foot injury sealed his fate. We're still surprised because they are very thin and old at the position. Colvin quickly becomes one of the most intriguing names available at linebacker, while the Patriots need to add a lot talent to the position. Feb. 26 - 2:39 pm et

Source: Boston Globe

well.....he'd probably be cheaper than Lance given his injuries......

Colvin went out for the season during week 12 last year. But before that he played in every consecutive game for 3 years straight. So other then the initial year he signed with New England, injuries haven't been a problem.

That being said, Colvin turns 31 in September. Personally, I'd like to find out what Jamar Williams & Michael Okwo can do. Both those guys should be ready to be major contributors this year.

Colvin went out for the season during week 12 last year. But before that he played in every consecutive game for 3 years straight. So other then the initial year he signed with New England, injuries haven't been a problem.

That being said, Colvin turns 31 in September. Personally, I'd like to find out what Jamar Williams & Michael Okwo can do. Both those guys should be ready to be major contributors this year.

Colvin was an excellent player with the Bears, 31 isn't that old and Williams and Okwo are raw and unproven in the NFL. Not sure I'm ready to leave the job to either unless necessary.

Colvin was an excellent player with the Bears, 31 isn't that old and Williams and Okwo are raw and unproven in the NFL. Not sure I'm ready to leave the job to either unless necessary.

I loved Rosey when he was here but that was long ago. He is primarily a 3-4 rush LB. We play the 4-3. He does not fit our scheme.

Peace :bears

I fully agree.

I think some of you are forgetting history a tad.

One. Colvin was our SLB, not WLB. Holdman was out WLB back in the day. So I do not understand that talk of his replacing Briggs. If we signed Colvin, it would be to replace Huner, which I do not think is a need.

Two. Colvin was never a very good LB for us. As a LB, he was far from special. In fact, I would argue Hunter has been a MUCH better SLB than Colvin ever was. But Colvin played DE on passing downs, and also rushed the passer standing up. At a time when the pass rush was nothing more than something the bears read about in a history book, Colvin was an anomoly. He was our best pass rusher, but in terms of LB, was never special. Heck, I am not sure he was more than average in that area.

In a 3-4 scheme, he is a much better LB, but he was simply never that good of a LB outside of his ability to rush the passer, which for us, was mostly from the DE position. We have Anderson for that role.

There are times when I would love to bring back a former bear, as I do now w/ Booker, but I simply do not see Colvin being a good fit. I think he would be a very good addition for a team that uses the 3-4, or for a team looking for a SLB that could also rush the passer, but he simply does not fit a need for us, and no way he can play WLB.

If Gholston is there when the Pats pick, he will most likely be a Patriot. But I doubt he is there.

The Pats really need to find another ILB though. Playing Adalius Thomas was serviceable at ILB for them, but his bread and butter is at OLB in the 34.