JA asleep at the wheel in FA again

Da Bears 88

Maybe character issues in the sense of Pacman Jones but I dont think Briggs play declined this year because of it. Urlacher has the same child issue, does he have character issues. Of course he benefits from playing next to Urlacher, but Urlacher also benefits from playing next to him. he is much better than Colvin and Holdman were when they were here. As far as the car situation, nothing happened, it wasnt a big deal. You just seem not to like him.

Urlacher didn't crash a Lamborghini at 2AM, leave it on the side of the highway, and call the police and say it was stolen. Hmm, do you think he may have been partying? And if he was partying to that degree, what does that say about what he gets up to in general? That was a big deal IMO.

And it isn't that I don't like him per se, I don't like athletes who make millions acting like petulant children and crashing cars, having illegitimate children, and running their mouths when they don't get as many millions as they think they deserve. Players like that will ultimately turn everyone away from professional sports if it is allowed to progress IMO. Personally, I will not spend money or time following a team if they are comprised of thugs and "gangstas." It is a shame that professional sports has turned into what it has IMO....and I hope the new commissioner of the NFL will continue to crack down so that I can continue to enjoy the game with my conscience intact. However, I will shut up about this now, as it is an ethical issue and not a football one, lol.

Urlacher doesn't benefit a whit from playing next to Briggs IMO. But, we will never know how Briggs would have done elsewher as he is now signed back up with the Bears. That is not an all bad thing, as Briggs is solid and with Urlacher looking like he might be on the way down, we can use the solidity.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Urlacher didn't crash a Lamborghini at 2AM, leave it on the side of the highway, and call the police and say it was stolen. Hmm, do you think he may have been partying? And if he was partying to that degree, what does that say about what he gets up to in general? That was a big deal IMO.

And it isn't that I don't like him per se, I don't like athletes who make millions acting like petulant children and crashing cars, having illegitimate children, and running their mouths when they don't get as many millions as they think they deserve. Players like that will ultimately turn everyone away from professional sports if it is allowed to progress IMO. Personally, I will not spend money or time following a team if they are comprised of thugs and "gangstas." It is a shame that professional sports has turned into what it has IMO....and I hope the new commissioner of the NFL will continue to crack down so that I can continue to enjoy the game with my conscience intact. However, I will shut up about this now, as it is an ethical issue and not a football one, lol.

Urlacher doesn't benefit a whit from playing next to Briggs IMO. But, we will never know how Briggs would have done elsewher as he is now signed back up with the Bears. That is not an all bad thing, as Briggs is solid and with Urlacher looking like he might be on the way down, we can use the solidity.

Urlacher falls into 2 of those 3 categories. Now he wants to rework his deal, and he has an illegitimate son whose mother has caused nothing but trouble since she gave birth.

And if you want to step into the wayback machine, we can all recall the partying Paris Hilton glory days and Urlachers messy divorce due to infidelity

Urlacher falls into 2 of those 3 categories. Now he wants to rework his deal, and he has an illegitimate son whose mother has caused nothing but trouble since she gave birth.

And if you want to step into the wayback machine, we can all recall the partying Paris Hilton glory days and Urlachers messy divorce due to infidelity

I don't recall Urlacher mouthing off or crashing any cars.....not that he is a hero in my eyes, but at least he keeps his gob shut, which is more than Briggs can say.

I don't recall Urlacher mouthing off or crashing any cars.....not that he is a hero in my eyes, but at least he keeps his gob shut, which is more than Briggs can say.

Well, Urlacher didnt mouth off about his team, but he certainly didnt have any problems texting some pretty unpleasant things to his kids mom.

Are you referring to the same Lance Briggs who wouldnt speak to the Media for the first half of the season?

Lance Briggs crashed his lamborghini and left it, and he was unhappy with his contract last year. Im not gonna crucify the guy for it, plenty of guys make dumb mistakes. Some more than others, and some are really good at covering those mistakes up better than others.

Olin kreutz broke his own teammates jaw, and was given a return volley of a weight in the scalp which required stitches, i dont hate Olin Kreutz because of it.

Earth to JA we need some freakin WR's!!!!!!!

:fight

What's the hurry and why all the angst? We only need one in FA and Hackett and Johnson are still available. Those are the only 2 that might remotely be worth signing this early in FA. The only guy other than Berrian that I would be remotely interested in who has signed already is Wilford and he signed on day 1 of free agency.

What's the hurry and why all the angst? We only need one in FA and Hackett and Johnson are still available. Those are the only 2 that might remotely be worth signing this early in FA. The only guy other than Berrian that I would be remotely interested in who has signed already is Wilford and he signed on day 1 of free agency.

Johnson reportedly is about to sign with Buffalo. DJ Hackett could be productive, but I think he'd do better as a number 2 or 3. Not to mention he's coming out of a system that is fairly WR favorable. Outisde of a trade I don't think there is anything the Bears could do at this point to have a solid passing game next year. You can call it angst, but with a new O-line, shaky QBs and a mess at WR, DJ Hackett and a rookie isn't going to turn our passing game into something d-coordinators worry about.

He never said anything bad about his teammates or anything he was upset about his contract situation, and to be honest, any one of us would be just as mad. You have to remember, these guys werent fans of the Bears where they owe the organization something.

If you want to talk about character issues for anyone on this team talk about RMJ, that guy is pretty bad in that area. Getting Briggs for cheaper than what Berrian got is huge and our team is better and happier when hes here. I know its nothing too important, but if you ever notice in pregame warmups Briggs is the one leading the breakdowns which proves hes not only a vocal leader but that his teammates look up to him. Hell, after reading through this thread Id say half of us hate JA more than Briggs does at this point.

Johnson reportedly is about to sign with Buffalo. DJ Hackett could be productive, but I think he'd do better as a number 2 or 3. Not to mention he's coming out of a system that is fairly WR favorable. Outisde of a trade I don't think there is anything the Bears could do at this point to have a solid passing game next year. You can call it angst, but with a new O-line, shaky QBs and a mess at WR, DJ Hackett and a rookie isn't going to turn our passing game into something d-coordinators worry about.

As far as our WR's go, the one thing I think you're unestimating is what a big role Greg Olsen will play. Considering we have to good TE's, they're both likely to be on the field a majority of the time. Those are two big targets.

I don't think we trusted Olsen much this year, but I get the feeling Ron Turner doesn't trust any rookie very much. I anticipate Olsen will have a huge year.

So, your position is that no matter who they sign or draft, that our passing game is screwed right? Then what's the point in getting anxiety ridden to the point of swearing?

I've heard that the Johnson to Buffalo rumor is just that - a rumor. As for Hackett, I really don't look at past production (which isn't all that great for him anyway) as a predictor. There are WAY too many variables involved like number of opportunities etc. to judge a guy with 14 starts over 3 seasons no matter what offense the team he's on runs. What's important to me is that he's 6'2" 208# and FAST. It also doesn't hurt IMO that in 2006 (the last year he played) he was ranked 2nd in the league for value per play and 15th out of 82 for total value by football outsiders.

So, your position is that no matter who they sign or draft, that our passing game is screwed right? Then what's the point in getting anxiety ridden to the point of swearing?

I've heard that the Johnson to Buffalo rumor is just that - a rumor. As for Hackett, I really don't look at past production (which isn't all that great for him anyway) as a predictor. There are WAY too many variables involved like number of opportunities etc. to judge a guy with 14 starts over 3 seasons no matter what offense the team he's on runs. What's important to me is that he's 6'2" 208# and FAST. It also doesn't hurt IMO that in 2006 (the last year he played) he was ranked 2nd in the league for value per play and 15th out of 82 for total value by football outsiders.

Damn LT, I read those Hackett stats & I'm a fan! We should break the bank for him! That's how this free agency stuff works. You start to think about what a guy might possibly do for your team, and GM's start over-paying, and fans start getting pissed. My guess is that there's not much of a difference between Hackett & Berrian. But Berrian had more of an opportunity, put up better numbers, and thus got the bigger contract.

If Greg Olsen can develop into a prime-time player this season, our offensive will be a bit brighter.

Damn LT, I read those Hackett stats & I'm a fan! We should break the bank for him! That's how this free agency stuff works. You start to think about what a guy might possibly do for your team, and GM's start over-paying, and fans start getting pissed. My guess is that there's not much of a difference between Hackett & Berrian. But Berrian had more of an opportunity, put up better numbers, and thus got the bigger contract.

If Greg Olsen can develop into a prime-time player this season, our offensive will be a bit brighter.

I don't think we'd need to break the bank. We could probably get him for 3 yrs $10 mil with $3 mil guaranteed + incentives.

Wanna bet. Looking at what WRs have gotten so far, I think Hackett will get more than what you are showing here.

Well, I didn't add in the incentives. The incentives would put it in the $5 mil per year range. I suppose the guaranteed money might het a bit higher.

Well, in a year Andre Davis can command 4yr/$16m w/ $8 SB, I have a feeling any WR can expect more than we might expect.

Hackett is still young and has speed, to go along w/ size. It simply would not surprise me to see him get a bigger deal than you think, particularly in terms of his guaranteed money.

It would appear we have some posters here that should change their username to

"Chicken Little". Man, we have so much time before the Draft, FA has just started, teams will be making trades and cutting players, we have what, 6 - 7 months left before the season starts?

Bears fans, rest assured, the sky is not falling, Jerry Angelo & Lovie Smith are well aware we need to pick up some WRs, and know all the weaknesses of the Bears that need filling, they know which players they need to keep on the team through extensions, they know what our salary cap is and I am sure are going to do everything they can to get us ready for the 2008 season.

Maybe we should give them a chance to do their job. We will have plenty of time to judge their success later.

While I don't believe your post was for me, as I have not said a word about Angelo not jumping to over-pay for mediocre talent in FA, at the same time, I wanted to respond to one thing our wrote.

"Maybe we should give them a chance to do their job. We will have plenty of time to judge their success later."

Angelo has been here for what, 6 1/2 years? He has more than had a chance. The results are mixed, and can be discussed, but I am not sure Angelo any longer should be simply given the benefit of doubt. ESPECIALLY when it comes to holes on the offense. If we were talking about some defensive issues, and he said he intended to take care of that through the draft, I might have to give him some leeway as his record in the draft on defense is so much better than on offense. But it is offense we are in such dire need, and it is offense where Angelo has been somewhere between very bad and pretty bad, in the draft.

While I am not running around screaming right now, at the same time, your post sounded too similar to Lovie's, "Trust me" comment, which still leaves a sick feeling in me.

Crap? Maybe not, but please do not pretend they are all that either.

Walker - In his 6 year career, he had had a grand total of one great season, and that was back in '04. Since then, he acts like the world owes him something. He demands to get out of GB, and Denver takes a shot. He does okay for them the first year, but okay is all. In year two, once again he is missing due to injury, as GB had to deal w/. Oh yea, and once again, he complains about his situation.

Forget the solid QB, upgraded OL, and emerging stud WR to play opposite. Nope, they are not kissing his ass enough, and he wants out. Not worth the headache, and was released.

W/ all this crap, he would still be worth a look from many teams, but from what I read, he still thinks he is a stud and should be paid/treated like one. No thank you.

Hackett - Lets see. The most consistent thing about him would be injuries. Best season was 45 catches for 600 yards, and his ypc averages are not all that either. Bobby Freaking Engram pretty much tripled Hackett in catches and yards. Even the great Nate Burleson was better.

I am not saying he is crap, but when VERY mediocre WRs are signing big dollar contracts, I do not believe it is a great idea to jump into the stupidity. If Walker or Hackett were not looking for the big bucks, great. But I have a feeling they, as well as Bryant Johnson, Booker and others, are smart enough to look at what these other WRs are getting, and to start high in their demands.

Think about this. Our top out offer to Berrian had $8m in SB. That is for the WR we drafted and developed, and really liked. That is for a potential #1 who provides a homerun threat. $8m was what we felt his value was.

Counter that w/ Andre Davis getting what? You guessed it. $8m SB. You have to believe we would have put his SB value closer to $4m, if that high. I doubt we would have Hackett much different.

While I don't believe your post was for me, as I have not said a word about Angelo not jumping to over-pay for mediocre talent in FA, at the same time, I wanted to respond to one thing our wrote.

"Maybe we should give them a chance to do their job. We will have plenty of time to judge their success later."

Angelo has been here for what, 6 1/2 years? He has more than had a chance. The results are mixed, and can be discussed, but I am not sure Angelo any longer should be simply given the benefit of doubt. ESPECIALLY when it comes to holes on the offense. If we were talking about some defensive issues, and he said he intended to take care of that through the draft, I might have to give him some leeway as his record in the draft on defense is so much better than on offense. But it is offense we are in such dire need, and it is offense where Angelo has been somewhere between very bad and pretty bad, in the draft.

While I am not running around screaming right now, at the same time, your post sounded too similar to Lovie's, "Trust me" comment, which still leaves a sick feeling in me.

I agree that JA has had time enough. For me, HIS sky is falling if he fucks up one more offenive draft. That will tell me that he has learned NOTHING from his mistakes and while he might be a good defensiove talent evaluator, he has also done nothing to fix the offense or at least bring in someone to consult/help. His clock is ticking, like it or not. Don't think the McCaskeys won't be watching as well. Lovie may well get a pass but you cannot let Angelo haqve a pass if he doesn't deliver. Call it what you like but TICK FREAKIN TOCK.

Yep, I agree, he has had far greater success on defense than offense.

I think every GM has their strenghts and weaknesses. JA has done an excellent job picking up defensive players, resigning our better players to extensions, managing the cap, day two draft picks, .....

He has done pretty bad drafting first round and developing offense.

He did however take a team that really really sucked and got us to the Super Bowl. We lost, but we got there and I have no doubt we will return.

I feel last year was more of an abberation than reality. I do not think I have ever seen the Bears suffer so many injuries to starters on defense as we did last year. Our offensive line all of a sudden went from being a very strong unit in 2006 to crap in 2007, something I do not think any of us expected and I am sure Angelo & Smith did not either. With the OL playing as bad as it did there was no way we were going to have a successful running game. We could also not expect our QBs to play very good while getting killed by pass rushers coming through in many cases untouched. If a QB has no protection, guess you can not expect WRs to look great as far as numbers go either.

I think if we can stay reasonably healthy and fix our OL, we are in a lot better shape than many believe. We are no where near as bad as we looked in 2007.

But, how soon before we make a decision on the 2008 draft? I mean, if you go off last year, Olsen wasn't worth a 1st round pick. I think most all of us expect more, but if you do not give the rookies time, how good is the evaluation of that draft.

I have a feeling Angelo will have another 2 years. I do not know how many years he has left on his deal, but I am thinking he has this year and next, unless we are REAL good or REAL bad.

I also think Angelo is totally tied to Lovie, so if and when Angelo goes, so will Lovie and the rest.