JA asleep at the wheel in FA again

Da Bears 88

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it, but I think our SB season was also a bit of a fluke. Just as everyone went wrong last year, most everything went right the year before. It is normal to be hit w/ injuries, and while we were hit w/ more than our share last year, we were hit w/ relatively few the year before.

Moving forward, I hate to be chicken little, but while I do see a solid chance our defense gets back to greatness (unless Babich continues to hold them back), I simply have FAR less faith in the offense.

I agree the OL stunk last year. That is not an arguable point. I disagree we should not have seen it coming. Maybe not the level we saw, but a dropoff I think could have been predicted, and I know plenty who saw it coming. Brown and Miller were at points in their careers where you tend to expect injury and/or a dropoff in play, and Angelo did little to provide depth behind them. Tait was not spring chicken either, and frankly, while he is as popular as you get, many bear fans have commented on a drop in his play for the last couple years.

Anyway, that was then, this is now. When I look at our current team, I simply question whether improvements to the OL will really have enough of an effect. Further, I question whether we will see those changes. OL, much like WR, have been getting steep prices which we seem to be avoiding. In the draft, there is talent, but (a) Angelo does not have a good track record on offense and (B) we have so many needs, how much should we expect.

Think about this. On offense, we need:

2 OL

2 WR

RB

QB

That is damn near an entire offense. Nice to have hope, but is there really much reason?

In my opinion, JA's job is on thin ice.

Ok. So that and $4 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Lovie is under contract through 2011 and Angelo is under contract through 2013.

Neither are going anywhere until 2010/2012 respectively.

I just have to laugh at people who think that anything going on right now has ANYTHING to do with either Lovie's or JA's job security.

I hate to say it, but I think our SB season was also a bit of a fluke. Just as everyone went wrong last year, most everything went right the year before. It is normal to be hit w/ injuries, and while we were hit w/ more than our share last year, we were hit w/ relatively few the year before.

I usually agree with your assessments, but I disagree here. The Bears were trending upwards every year with lovie(except last year of course) and while it seemed everything went right for the Bears for the most part, it seems that way with every Super Bowl team, luck is just part of it. And even when you think about it, everything didnt go right, they dealt with Rex Grossmans backwards slide from the Arizona game forward, injuries to Harris, Mike Brown(again), Tank Johnsons legal issues, there were plenty of things going wrong while the team was still winning.

I didn't realize the free agency and trading period had ended already.

2007-2008 is over, start planning for the '09 draft.

It's pretty sad when your best receiver is Greg Olsen.

No, i'm not hating on G-Reg. I love the guy. But, it shows you how clueless JA has become.

If getting your team to the Super Bowl after twenty years of being the joke of the league is clueless, count me in every time.

JA has had success in TB and here, the only problem in Chicago is that 85% of the fans will never be satisfied with anything.

If getting your team to the Super Bowl after twenty years of being the joke of the league is clueless, count me in every time.

JA has had success in TB and here, the only problem in Chicago is that 85% of the fans will never be satisfied with anything.

Hmm, maybe if JA had a clue on how to draft some offense.

We wouldn't be having this discussion.

JA seems content to sit out the initial fireworks (duh at this point) and just take whichever WR is left regardless of what his strengths are. He'll take what's left, be it a bigger possession type (Booker) or the smaller faster type (ala Berrian) and then just go draft the complimentary WR. Other teams seem to have targeted a WR for their system or needs and have already gone after them and signed them. It seems most of these guys are not making multiple team visits. Maybe it's because the money is so crazy but this is the first year I can recall so many FAs making just one visit and signing. In the past almost all the agents would visit at least two teams if not three. Teams used to do the same bringing in a couple FAs at one position. It seems we're getting to that point now in FA but the first weekend players have gone really fast, even 2nd and 3rd tier players.