Berrian officially a Viking...

BearSox

Wow, Berrian just got thrown under a bus.

The guy made some great plays as a Bear. I'll miss him.

Is he as great as the contract he received? Probably not.

Is he nearly as bad as people here are playing off? Not in the least bit.

The guy is young, fast, and excelled with what's considered one of the worst QB rotation in the league.

That's without mentioning the excess of money every team has this year to spend.

His loss to the Bears is the biggest in the last decade. He was the only good player on offense.

Not franchising him was a major mistake.

Side note: I'm not saying I would pay Berrian that much, nor would, nor do I think he is even worth that much... all I'm doing is saying he is better then a lot of people here give him credit for, and I would take him on my team anyday.

I just dont think he is even close to being a number one receiver. He has also had some injury concerns and now hes gonna be playing in a dome with a weak passing qb. Like others have stated he is gonna be a big time liability for AP when he gets down field. His hands are VERY inconsistent and like even you said he doesnt have the best routes. For a qb who isnt very gifted in making on the fly reads I can see a lot of ints coming from miscommunication between the two of them.

For the same reason Im glad we didnt sign Berrian Im glad he went to the Vikings. He got number one money because of the deflated market and now he is their franchise number one receiver. They wont be able to spend much more money at the position for years. If someone told me that Bernard Berrian was going to be the number one WR of a divisional rival we play twice a year for the next few years I would be pretty excited. He isnt going to take over a game or beat you single handedly like true number one WRs can.

Wow, Berrian just got thrown under a bus.

The guy made some great plays as a Bear. I'll miss him.

Is he as great as the contract he received? Probably not.

Is he nearly as bad as people here are playing off? Not in the least bit.

The guy is young, fast, and excelled with what's considered one of the worst QB rotation in the league.

That's without mentioning the excess of money every team has this year to spend.

His loss to the Bears is the biggest in the last decade. He was the only good player on offense.

Not franchising him was a major mistake.

Are you honestly trying to say that losing Berrian is worse than losing Thomas Jones?

Are you honestly trying to say that losing Berrian is worse than losing Thomas Jones?

Seriously, I'm saying a young, explosive WR leaving is worse then losing a 30 year old journeyman running back.

Berrian will be alot harder to replace then a RB.

I just dont think he is even close to being a number one receiver. He has also had some injury concerns and now hes gonna be playing in a dome with a weak passing qb. Like others have stated he is gonna be a big time liability for AP when he gets down field. His hands are VERY inconsistent and like even you said he doesnt have the best routes. For a qb who isnt very gifted in making on the fly reads I can see a lot of ints coming from miscommunication between the two of them.

For the same reason Im glad we didnt sign Berrian Im glad he went to the Vikings. He got number one money because of the deflated market and now he is their franchise number one receiver. They wont be able to spend much more money at the position for years. If someone told me that Bernard Berrian was going to be the number one WR of a divisional rival we play twice a year for the next few years I would be pretty excited. He isnt going to take over a game or beat you single handedly like true number one WRs can.

I would much rather have a guy that was drafted as the third WR on his college team, that couldn't get on the field last year, and a guy that lines up out of position 50% of the time.

We're soo better off without him.

Berrian's best season is 71 receptions and 951 yards. What has he seriously proven? Marcus Robinson had 84 receptions and 1,400 yards for the Bears in 1999. Where is he now?

There are two things Berrian is a top 10 Receiver in, salary and drops.

More money than Briggs....hilarious.

During the 2007 season every time he dropped a pass, and he dropped as many passes as his "wow" catches, everyone was screaming how we should get rid of the bum. When he missed blocking assignments there were posters wanting us to cut him. Now that the season is over the same posters want to give him #1 WR money or franchise him and make him a king.

The stupid thing would have been to overpay the guy. To be honest, I thought the Bears offered him too much as it was.

When we traded Booker many were pissed. What did he do in Miami?

When we lost Marcus Robinson to the Vikings many thought this was the end of the world, what did he do for Minny?

Both Booker and MRob were damn better WRs than Berrian.

If JA was, as you say, freakin stupid, for not franchising Berrian, thank God for stupidity, for I agree with JA all the way on this one, he was not worth a franchise tag and certainly not worth any where near what he signed for in Minny.

Excellent points. It's important to remember that the reason most players are successful is that it's a combination of their scheme and the guys they have around them.

Has Washington ever signed a guy that lived up to their expectations???

Berrian dropping the pass off his hands verus Dallas was equal to Leon Johnson trying to catch the ball with his helmet in 2002. In both instances, may have flat out ruined a season.

His first two seasons with the Bears, Berrian had a history of injuries. It'll be interesting to see how much he sucks it up now that he's getting paid.

I would say yes to that question. The thing is, at least for me personally, was that Cedric Benson was stifled by the fact that Thomas Jones was a locker-room hero, he had lots of friends who shared the same agent, and so on.

In other worse, by losing Thomas Jones Cedric would have the chance to "grow." I was wrong. Cedric sucks.

The difference is that we dumped TJ because we thought or hoped Cedric was better. The plan was in place. Let Cedric be the man, draft another RB in the 3rd round . . . that seemed smart.

The plan failed. That happens.

What's the WR plan? Mark Bradley & Devin Hester??? I do not want to see Hester on the field that much or it will hurt his return game. You can't count on Bradley for crap.

Granted, the plan may change fairly quickly. But as of right now, losing Berrian is FAR worse then losing Thomas Jones.

as far as who's worse losing tj or berrian - i say tj. look at the bears running attack this year. it wasn't an attack. i would rather use what we have now at wideout without berrian than the terrible rushing offense we had without tj. jones made a bigger difference than berrian.

I would say yes to that question. The thing is, at least for me personally, was that Cedric Benson was stifled by the fact that Thomas Jones was a locker-room hero, he had lots of friends who shared the same agent, and so on.

In other worse, by losing Thomas Jones Cedric would have the chance to "grow." I was wrong. Cedric sucks.

The difference is that we dumped TJ because we thought or hoped Cedric was better. The plan was in place. Let Cedric be the man, draft another RB in the 3rd round . . . that seemed smart.

The plan failed. That happens.

What's the WR plan? Mark Bradley & Devin Hester??? I do not want to see Hester on the field that much or it will hurt his return game. You can't count on Bradley for crap.

Granted, the plan may change fairly quickly. But as of right now, losing Berrian is FAR worse then losing Thomas Jones.

Theres a lot more to the Jones story about being traded. The reason why he was playing over Benson wasnt because he was a locker room hero it was because he is better and outperformed him. However, we were handcuffed by Bensons contract and something had to give. Jones wanted to be traded or extended a year earlier, since we couldnt afford to resign him and there was no trade value for him they promised him that if he played out the year they would trade him and they did. Thomas Jones was the only player from the starting 11 on offense that wasnt there, I know the line got older but the majority of the decline was because we had no running game.

TO, Holt, Harrison, and Driver are all better (maybe not Driver anymore), but I guarantee if a team was going to give a 6 year 42 million dollar contract to one of those 4 or Berrian, they'd choice Berrian.

And Chambers, maybe, but I doubt it. He's older and has never really out pre-formed Berrian, except for one season. And Welker is so freakin overrated. If you replace Welker with Rashied Davis on the Pats offense, Davis could have a 70+ reception season..

You are so freakin wrong. Welker just can't get some peoples' respect. It's like there is this pre programmed notion if the receiver is white, he just can't be good. The dude was unstoppable this year and when he finally got his shot with a shitty Dolphins team with an even shittier offense, he caught 67 passes there. Would Davis have done that too??? It's amazing you want to put Davis in the same category as Welker. GMAFB.

And your way fuckin wrong on Berrian too. Made some spectacular catches at times. Could get open on the deep ball with his speed if the CB bit. But was a terrible route runner. Had terrible moves getting open on the intermediate routes. Showed suspect hands his entire carrer and couldn't prevent an INT if his life depended on it. He showed flashes, but was way too inconsistent to be a top flight WR.

Regarding Welker - IMHO, he was always a good WR, but his play this year was largely reflective of the system/team. So what. That would be true for most. There are WRs like Moss, Owens, ect, that can excel regardless who the QB or system is. Welker is more in line w/ WRs who can do okay in most systems, but in the right system, is unstoppable. But for him to be the player we saw, he needs the right QB.

Berrian is about the polar opposite to Welker. Berrian is more like Moss, just a minor league version to him. Most QBs can chuck in downfield, and thus Berrian has the potential to be very good in any system. He doesn't need a QB that has great timing or reads on defense. As his route running isn't that great, those attributes would mean less.

As I dislike our coaches, part of me does wonder if Berrian will not take off after leaving Chicago, and getting under the guidance of a better coach. Time will tell. As for Welker though, I would say he is a very good possession receiver in most any system, but in a system w/ a QB that displays great accuracy and timing, Welker can look unstoppable.

Regarding Welker - IMHO, he was always a good WR, but his play this year was largely reflective of the system/team. So what. That would be true for most. There are WRs like Moss, Owens, ect, that can excel regardless who the QB or system is. Welker is more in line w/ WRs who can do okay in most systems, but in the right system, is unstoppable. But for him to be the player we saw, he needs the right QB.

Berrian is about the polar opposite to Welker. Berrian is more like Moss, just a minor league version to him. Most QBs can chuck in downfield, and thus Berrian has the potential to be very good in any system. He doesn't need a QB that has great timing or reads on defense. As his route running isn't that great, those attributes would mean less.

As I dislike our coaches, part of me does wonder if Berrian will not take off after leaving Chicago, and getting under the guidance of a better coach. Time will tell. As for Welker though, I would say he is a very good possession receiver in most any system, but in a system w/ a QB that displays great accuracy and timing, Welker can look unstoppable.

Welker reminds me of Don Beebe in that respect. He lined up on the other side of some amazing talent in Buffalo and Green Bay and he made every catch count for something. He was just solid in every aspect of his game, and if you forgot about him he took advantage of it.

I personally am tired of this arguement and would like to state that no matter what Berrian did before for us, he is an enemy and I hope he sucks balls.

We can both agree on this. I hope he is stepping into a giant pile of suck!!!!!

Peace :bears

This phone caller had the same exact thoughts i did on 670 the Score.

These aren't the exact words. But, he said who the hell does Berrian think he is?

He thinks he's worth Jerry Rice money. rollinglaugh.gif

This phone caller had the same exact thoughts i did on 670 the Score.

These aren't the exact words. But, he said who the hell does Berrian think he is?

He thinks he's worth Jerry Rice money. rollinglaugh.gif

Put yourself in his shoes for one second and then answer this question:

Would you turn it down?

Dont fault the player for accepting the money placed in front of him, fault the loon that offered it to him in the first place

I hate losing Berrian. I know he probably wasn't worth the money but in reality he caught a case of the butterfingers this past season only.. He had some great hands the year before. Even last year, he dropped some easy catches but made some remarkable grabs as well. He has deep speed and I liked the idea of him opposite Hester next season as starters. That would have given fits to defensive secondaries.

Now what? There aren't any receivers of Berrians talent available.. Let's face it, in the interest of being frugal, we are moving backwards. What is the point of spending responsibly, if it always leads to losing your players and not using that money to bring in any upgrades?

We shoulda franchised him.. Letting him hit the market was a mistake.

If briggs was worth a tag last season as a good player on a very good defense, Berrian was worth a tag as the best player on a mediocre offense.

In hindsight Berrian probably should have been franchised just to give the Bears a little more time to find legitimate replacements at the wide receiver position. However, there is absolutely no way I would have given Bernard that type of money. The Bears are now probably going to sign a FA WR such as Bryant Johnson and than take a WR in the 1st or 2nd round.

The only issue is the Bears clearly have multiple needs in the draft, with the offensive line and running game being issues. You can't address all of them early in the draft and I wouldn't be shocked if the Bears sign a RB like Julius Jones and than focus on WR/Oline early and often in the draft. They could also opt to sign a couple FA olinman (not big name guys, but solid vets) and than focus on RB/WR in the first two rounds.

I think we could have traded him if we tagged him. If you look at the interest he got in FA, I absolutely think we could have netted a draft pick.

Some will talk about how we could not get a deal last year for Briggs, but we held out for a lot of comp. Rumor was, a fairly high 1st and 3rd. If we tagged Berrian basically just to trade him, we simply take the best offer. I have a feeling, especially looking at the interest he got, we could have received a 3rd for him. Better than nothing.