The problem for Lance

Connorbear

He is a great tackler but doesn't make impact plays. He has 5.5 sacks and 6 ints in 5 yrs. Url has 37.5 sacks and 15 ints in 8 yrs. He has overvalued himself and may be waiting by the phone for a while. Just watching the NFL network and the analysts agreed his best move would be to stay with the Bears.

Peace :bears

That may be the best move for Lance, but I don't think it's the best move for the Bears. It just doesn't make sense to spend a 3rd and a 4th rounder 2 years in a row on potential replacements for a guy and then resign him and consign those draftees to the bench. There are better ways to use cap space. Williams may not be where Briggs was, but from a cap standpoint, Williams/Okwo is the right call for next year and for the franchise's future.

That may be the best move for Lance, but I don't think it's the best move for the Bears. It just doesn't make sense to spend a 3rd and a 4th rounder 2 years in a row on potential replacements for a guy and then resign him and consign those draftees to the bench. There are better ways to use cap space. Williams may not be where Briggs was, but from a cap standpoint, Williams/Okwo is the right call for next year and for the franchise's future.

I disagree. Last year Okwo was drafted mainly because of Briggs attitude and how he said he would never be a bear again, and etc. I guarantee if Briggs just signed the tender right away and never became such a ? mark, we wouldn't have drafted Okwo. However, since we did, he will provide depth at both MIKE and WILL and be a contributor on special teams.

As for Williams, he was a 4th rounder and right now has proven to be able to fill in and be a very good special teamer. He can also be HH's future replacement a SAM... and SAM might actually be Williams best fit since his best attribute has been his ability to take on blocker. He leaves a lot to be desired in his pass coverage.

Briggs however is a proven player, and would provide us with insurance if Urlacher gets injured.

He is a great tackler but doesn't make impact plays. He has 5.5 sacks and 6 ints in 5 yrs. Url has 37.5 sacks and 15 ints in 8 yrs. He has overvalued himself and may be waiting by the phone for a while. Just watching the NFL network and the analysts agreed his best move would be to stay with the Bears.

I've said that all along about Lance. He never makes that "Wow" play. He's good, but not great.

The thing is, the clock is ticking for Lance. Demorrio Williams is scheduled to meet with the Bears on Tuesday. If we sign him, our offer is off the table. That means Lance needs to get a deal done by Monday night, or his best and only realistic offer so far goes off the table. That'll mean he'll make far less then the offer he rejected from the Bears.

In a way I hope that happens. I'd love to see us resign Lance, but that would send a message to other guys like Tommie Harris: Take it while you can get it.

In a way I hope that happens. I'd love to see us resign Lance, but that would send a message to other guys like Tommie Harris: Take it while you can get it.

Tommie will get a ton of cash on the open market...look at kennedy that the raiders signed...DT's are more expensive than LB's

I've said that all along about Lance. He never makes that "Wow" play. He's good, but not great.

The thing is, the clock is ticking for Lance. Demorrio Williams is scheduled to meet with the Bears on Tuesday. If we sign him, our offer is off the table. That means Lance needs to get a deal done by Monday night, or his best and only realistic offer so far goes off the table. That'll mean he'll make far less then the offer he rejected from the Bears.

He isnt the type of player who will be on sportscenter all the time but he certainly makes plays. One of the better plays I can remember him making was against Seattle in the playoff game. It was either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and we were tied and they ran a draw and he knifed through the line and made the stop for a loss that got us the ball back. That completely changed the momentum of that game.

He isnt the type of player who will be on sportscenter all the time but he certainly makes plays. One of the better plays I can remember him making was against Seattle in the playoff game. It was either 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 and we were tied and they ran a draw and he knifed through the line and made the stop for a loss that got us the ball back. That completely changed the momentum of that game.

That was a great play but, like you said, he doesn't make plays that get him on Sportscenter. This is one of the reasons why he won't be getting a huge contract. I think another reason may be that Washington is not a big player in the market this yr - they were jonesing for him last yr.

Remember Briggs play against the Cardinals on Monday night football where he overran the play and the RB scored a TD? Stop them for a FG and we were in the game but Hester made amends on the next play.

Even though I've said Briggs isn't a great player and pointed out some of his weaknesses I'm glad we have him back. He does make some great plays for us even if he'll miss one now and then, he knows the defense and fits in well with our scheme. Having Williams and Okwo just gives us some depth that we haven't had at LB for years and I for one have no problem with that.