Bears sign Brandon Lloyd

vegas1211

I do not understand what is going on here. I am a WELL KNOWN Angelo basher. I seem to take a critical look, very critical, at everything he does. Here is something that I see no downside, and plenty of upside.

Lloyd showed quite a bit of improvement in his first three years, and looked like he was about to take another step. Some have said it, as will I. He was very comparable to Berrian. But he went to Wash, who signed Randle El the same year, and already had Moss, and Cooley. For whatever reasons, he failed (miserably) in Wash. Maybe he didn't fit the system. Maybe he just sucks. But when you look at his time and development in SF, I think it shows more promise than what we saw in Wash.

While other teams are giving out $8m for Andre Davis and $16m for Berrian, we sign a young WR, similar to Berrian, for closer to the league minimum.

I simply see little reason to dislike this signing. If we signing him for more years or money, fine. But a one year deal for minimal? Where is the downside?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand what is going on here. I am a WELL KNOWN Angelo basher. I seem to take a critical look, very critical, at everything he does. Here is something that I see no downside, and plenty of upside.

Lloyd showed quite a bit of improvement in his first three years, and looked like he was about to take another step. Some have said it, as will I. He was very comparable to Berrian. But he went to Wash, who signed Randle El the same year, and already had Moss, and Cooley. For whatever reasons, he failed (miserably) in Wash. Maybe he didn't fit the system. Maybe he just sucks. But when you look at his time and development in SF, I think it shows more promise than what we saw in Wash.

While other teams are giving out $8m for Andre Davis and $16m for Berrian, we sign a young WR, similar to Berrian, for closer to the league minimum.

I simply see little reason to dislike this signing. If we signing him for more years or money, fine. But a one year deal for minimal? Where is the downside?

Gotta agree Nfo. While everyone is throwing a hissy fit about losing Berrian and him getting over paid, they then turn around and bash JA for signing someone at reasonable $ and with just as much potential as Berrian. Huh? Go figure. :chair

Lloyd was hardly buried in Washington. He was the starting receiver beside Moss for most of 2006-2007, until his crap play landed him on the bench -- Randle-El was the #3. Last year he plummeted WAY down the depth chart even before his injury -- he was second (actually more like fifth, but whatever) fiddle to guys like James Thrash, Keenan McCardell. Would anyone be excited if the Bears picked one of those guys up?

I even like the signing, but Lloyd sucked and sucked HARD in Washington, all by his lonesome bust self. Seeing any similarity to Berrian is pie-in-the-sky type stuff.

I don't have too much of a problem with the signing per se. He definitely is in the bottom echelon of what was out there, but there is little downside and plenty of up to the move. The thing I will have a problem with is if Lovie gives the advantage to a guy like Brandon Lloyd in training camp. I want Bradley, Hass, Rideau, and any rookie we draft to get an equal shot. I've said it before, IMO, there isn't one receiver on this team that I think deserves to have an upper hand in camp. They all need to prove themselves the same. If Lovie comes in saying Booker and Lloyd are the 1 and 2, I will be pissed. I want the best receivers to be starting. Experience does not equal best at the WR position. Let them battle it out. If Lloyd and Booker are it, then that's great. However if some rookie we draft in the 3rd round or something, is smart, getting open, catching everything and outplaying those guys, then dammit he should start. God knows whoever our QB is, he will need the best we have out on the field.

Lloyd is known for his alligator arms, which probably won't show up at all in training camp cause he won't get hit.

One. You will go into camp w/ someone listed as our 1-2. You have to. When our 1st team that takes the field, someone has to play WR, and those two are going to be who are pencilled in as the 1-2 guys. That will be Booker. Frankly, it may not be Lloyd. That 2nd starter very well may still be Bradley.

If camp were to start today, I think you would have Booker on one side, w/ Hass as the #2. You do not like to hear that, but it is written in pencil, and wide open for change.

On the other side, I actually think Bradley will still warrant the nod, though Lloyd I would argue has a leg up on taking the job from him.

Honest, I am not sure how the staff handles Hester. I would likely simply make him a slot WR where we can move him around more, make use of his YAC ability, and take advantage of his quickness and cut ability best.

How the rookie fits in depends on what sort of WR he is. If he is a big WR, or possession guy, then obviously he jumps into the mix w/ Booker/Hass.

To be frank though, I think right now Booker and Bradley are the starters, and it is up to the rest to change that. I am sure the staff is plenty open to change. We do not have a high priced WR (Moose) or an expected pro bowl tier guy (Berrian). We have an older possession guy that we like, but know doesn't have a place in our future plans (Booker) and another young guy we like, but has not done jack in the two years since we drafted him, and has not shown much by way of polish.

So expect plenty of competition. Just hope whoever do start do so for their positive play, and not because they simply sucked less than the rest.

I think Lloyd replaces Berrian, while Bradley is also seen as a replacement.

I think Booker replaces Moose, while Hass is also seen as a replacement.

So we added two players w/ similar skills sets to the two we lost. We also have on the roster two players w/ similar skills. I think this is competition. Instead of simply relying on Bradley to replace Berrian, we now have a competitition between Bradley and Lloyd. Instead of relying on Hass to replace Moose, we have Booker and Hass.

Hester is who I think would replace Davis. I think we are looking at Hester as a #3 slot guy more so than starter, and thus he would replace Davis.

One. You will go into camp w/ someone listed as our 1-2. You have to. When our 1st team that takes the field, someone has to play WR, and those two are going to be who are pencilled in as the 1-2 guys. That will be Booker. Frankly, it may not be Lloyd. That 2nd starter very well may still be Bradley.

If camp were to start today, I think you would have Booker on one side, w/ Hass as the #2. You do not like to hear that, but it is written in pencil, and wide open for change.

Hass??? Are you kidding me? We were so umimpressed with Hass that at the end of the year we brought Brand Rideau back in. The only way Hass has a snowball's chance in hell of making the team is if he can find a way to contribute on special teams. While he has ok size for that, he's probably too damn slow to be on the #1 ST's unit in the league.

Honestly, I think Bradley will end up as Booker's back-up. Bradley does not appear to have the speed he showed his rookie year before the knee injury. We want the guy across from Booker to be a Burner that can stretch the field. That's why we have to be optimistic about Lloyd

On the other side, I actually think Bradley will still warrant the nod, though Lloyd I would argue has a leg up on taking the job from him.

While I doubt Bradley's a good fit opposite Booker, I wonder if we'll give him the "Cedric Benson treatment," throwing him out there no matter how bad he looks. I also think we want to reward guys who have been with the team.

Honest, I am not sure how the staff handles Hester. I would likely simply make him a slot WR where we can move him around more, make use of his YAC ability, and take advantage of his quickness and cut ability best.

I hope you're right about Hester being the #3. The only thing Hester has proven as a WR is that he's a speed guy who's a deep threat. Hopefully Lloyd still has the speed to be a deep threat the way Berrian was. If that's the case, Hester doesn't offer much more as a WR then Lloyd will. I just hope we don't over-use Hester on offense where he gets injured or it takes away from his return game.

So expect plenty of competition. Just hope whoever do start do so for their positive play, and not because they simply sucked less than the rest.

Agreed.

Hass??? Are you kidding me? We were so umimpressed with Hass that at the end of the year we brought Brand Rideau back in. The only way Hass has a snowball's chance in hell of making the team is if he can find a way to contribute on special teams. While he has ok size for that, he's probably too damn slow to be on the #1 ST's unit in the league.

I doubt bringing in Rideau had anything to do with Hass. Maybe it was due to the fact that we wanted to make sure we kept him on our roster for next season because of he has the size we lack, instead of needing to sign him to a futures deal in the off-season. Hass showed last PS that he can run routes and that he has great hands, so if he can do that again this PS, I don't see why he can't get a better shot. I don't see him in the top three or four, but I would like to see him take on Davis' role, only not so much out of the slot. We(the Bears staff) did make a lot of piss poor choices with handling personnel last season(see Wolfe, Bradley, Anderson/Brown, AA, Olsen) so there is always that to factor in when talking about these kids.

Honestly, I think Bradley will end up as Booker's back-up. Bradley does not appear to have the speed he showed his rookie year before the knee injury. We want the guy across from Booker to be a Burner that can stretch the field. That's why we have to be optimistic about Lloyd

Mark showed the same speed I saw his rookie year in 06', and on a couple of the catches he made last year. However, I don't see how we can make that judgment for sure at all based on the 20 times he actually saw the field last year, but I don't think he's lost anything speed-wise. Also, Lloyd IS NOT a "burner who can stretch the field", in the least. He's a guy who is quick in and out of his breaks with great hands and leaping ability, but won't be run past anyone. You talk about Hass being too slow, yet both of them ran nearly identical timed 40's.

While I doubt Bradley's a good fit opposite Booker, I wonder if we'll give him the "Cedric Benson treatment," throwing him out there no matter how bad he looks. I also think we want to reward guys who have been with the team.

I hope you're right about Hester being the #3. The only thing Hester has proven as a WR is that he's a speed guy who's a deep threat. Hopefully Lloyd still has the speed to be a deep threat the way Berrian was. If that's the case, Hester doesn't offer much more as a WR then Lloyd will. I just hope we don't over-use Hester on offense where he gets injured or it takes away from his return game.

Again, Lloyd has never had that speed you speak of. Bradley is the exact kind of guy you want across from Marty at this point. A young guy with great speed, good size, good YAC, and all-around ability. Too bad our staff made some monumentally stupid decisions last year, the biggest of which IMO was failing to get him more PT. Now we have to throw him straight into the fire, and hope he can step up right away, whether he can do that is entirely up to him if he gets the PT, but he does have the ideal attributes for the job. Hester offers everything that Lloyd doesn't. He has great wheels, other-worldly quickness, and the ability to run past coverage. I honestly don't think you are too familiar with Lloyd's game if you think he compares to Berrian or any speed-guy, because he is a completely different breed of WR.

Agreed.

Personally I think that this is a decent signing for next to nothing. Not sure what happened to Brandon in DC however, knowing the turmoil that has plagued that team for a while would partially explain the downfall. I agree with the others that have said that at least it is another person who has potential to be a good addition. If Lloyd gets back to what he did at Illinois and while in San Francisco, we may have gotten a steal in the FA market. I am not to disappointed with this and once training camp starts in July, we'll be able to access this signing a bit easier.

Nfo - you nailed it. Minimal risk in this deal to the Bears. Huge upside if he breaks out.

Peace :bears

Nfo - you nailed it. Minimal risk in this deal to the Bears. Huge upside if he breaks out.

Peace :bears

Agreed 100%. There are two critical things anyone who is pissed about this deal needs to remember:

#1 If we'd signed him 2 years ago, we all would have been THRILLED. Absolutely thrilled. He was considered an over-achiever in a horrible offense. Can you believe Washington gave a 3rd & 4th round pick AND 30 million (10 guaranteed) for him???

#2 He's signed for the minimum which means Rashied Davis will likely make more then him. Who would you rather have??? I like Rashied, he's scrappy, he's a good special teams guy, but he's short & he's not that fast. Brandon Lloyd if healthy & in shape is a legitimate deep field threat.

Angelo's made 4 GREAT moves this offseason. Briggs was reasonable, while Booker & Lloyd were down-right cheap. Not over-paying for Berrian is his 4th great move.

Angelo's made 4 GREAT moves this offseason. Briggs was reasonable, while Booker & Lloyd were down-right cheap. Not over-paying for Berrian is his 4th great move.

Good point, 4 Great Moves, then add 8 more:

Extension of Rex Grossman at a very reasonable contract

Extension of Kyle Orton cheap

Extension of D Clark

Extension of A Brown

Cut B Griese

Cut F Miller

Cut Moose

Cut D Walker

For those wanting to kick Angelo's ass, I personally think he is doing a good job and I am sure he is far from finished!

Agreed 100%. There are two critical things anyone who is pissed about this deal needs to remember:

#1 If we'd signed him 2 years ago, we all would have been THRILLED. Absolutely thrilled. He was considered an over-achiever in a horrible offense. Can you believe Washington gave a 3rd & 4th round pick AND 30 million (10 guaranteed) for him???

#2 He's signed for the minimum which means Rashied Davis will likely make more then him. Who would you rather have??? I like Rashied, he's scrappy, he's a good special teams guy, but he's short & he's not that fast. Brandon Lloyd if healthy & in shape is a legitimate deep field threat.

I do think Jerry has made one bad move, which was not franchising Bernard Berrian. I also expect them to sign a solid offensive lineman (no one old, although I could live with bringing back Ruben Brown and drafting both a guard and tackle within the 1st 4 rounds) and if he doesn't do that, it will be my 2nd knock.

Otherwise I think you are spot on. Inking Harris to an acceptable deal could be next, but I'm really not in a hurry and I'd have no problem franchising him in the off-season and giving him whatever he wants (assuming he proves he can stay healthy). Really if you sign him now with his lingering injury problems it could truly blow up in your face (however, the team may have a lot of cap room so financially it could be smart to use some of that cap room in the CY, which may not get used, to ease the salary cap rammifcations in future years).

I do think Jerry has made one bad move, which was not franchising Bernard Berrian. I also expect them to sign a solid offensive lineman (no one old, although I could live with bringing back Ruben Brown and drafting both a guard and tackle within the 1st 4 rounds) and if he doesn't do that, it will be my 2nd knock.

I disagree with franchising Berrian. Why pay him a ton of money this year so he could bitch & piss & moan, and then become a FA next year? All the experts agree that 16 million guaranteed was far too much to pay Berrian. So why guarantee him 7+ million for one season? I think Bradley & Lloyd will prove to be only a slight drop-off. It's not like he's Tommie Harris.

As for bringing in the offensive lineman, I'd be shocked & pissed if that doesn't happen in the next 6 weeks before the draft.

Otherwise I think you are spot on. Inking Harris to an acceptable deal could be next, but I'm really not in a hurry and I'd have no problem franchising him in the off-season and giving him whatever he wants (assuming he proves he can stay healthy). Really if you sign him now with his lingering injury problems it could truly blow up in your face (however, the team may have a lot of cap room so financially it could be smart to use some of that cap room in the CY, which may not get used, to ease the salary cap rammifcations in future years).

I disagree with franchising Berrian. Why pay him a ton of money this year so he could bitch & piss & moan, and then become a FA next year?

That was pretty much the same thought w/ Briggs, and it worked out fine. Yea, he is gone, but he played for us last year w/ no problems.

I was for tagging Berrian, though I didn't want to keep him. I wanted to tag him and trade him, and frankly, I think we could have easily gotten a 3rd for him. Look at the demand for him in FA. Tag him and trade him. Better than letting the only good offensive player Angelo has ever drafted for nothing.

As for bringing in the offensive lineman, I'd be shocked & pissed if that doesn't happen in the next 6 weeks before the draft.

I was fine w/ doing nothing more than keeping Rex and extending Orton. The market was sad.

I was fine w/ adding Booker as our big name FA, and then throwing in Lloyd as a free side. Again, the market was sad.

Not thrilled w/ no activity at safety, yet also understand because once again, the market is sad.

The market was not sad at OT though. Faneca, Bell, Scott and others were available. No, they were not cheap, but if we are going to cheap everywhere else, can we not afford to drop a little extra at our top need position?

The market was not sad at OT though. Faneca, Bell, Scott and others were available. No, they were not cheap, but if we are going to cheap everywhere else, can we not afford to drop a little extra at our top need position?

If we're planning on targeting the O-Line heavily in the draft, it makes sense to save up the cap space in FA to use on other guys/holding on to key parts currently on the team, at least to my eyes. On top of that, the draft itself is pretty heavy in O-Linemen, so this is potentially a good year to find decent value at those slots in the draft.

Hopefully, the fact that some of these teams that could have used O-Linemen (The Jets?) have jumped on big ones in FA might well serve to push players down as well.

1. I am all for re-signing and exending our own. At the same time, we went into FA w/ $30m in cap space, and all we are doing is extending the status quo.

2. While I agree it is a solid draft for OT, it is also a solid draft for RB and WR too. Those are needs as well. And hey, we need to draft a QB. So my point is, we have needs at just about every position on offense. All those needs are solid in the draft, but only ONE was solid in FA. And we show no interest in that one?

3. Angelo is on record that he believes OL is one of those positions that take longer to develop in FA, and that is why he prefers FAs, which is evidenced by how he has handled our OL since coming to Chicago. So now, when we are in dire need for immediate upgrade on the OL, we are suddenly going to plan on rookies?