Changing of the Guard.

Wesson44

I don't think any one of those guys is capable of being an average to above average guard in the NFL and I truly hope the Bears plan on signing a FA guard and than draft a tackle (and another offensive lineman later in the draft) in the 1st or 2nd round.

If the Bears make the mistake of keeping all of them I have absolutely no doubt that Metcalf would win the job. Beekman isn't very good, at least not right now (unless he's had one hell of an off-season) and Metcalf is superior to oakley, imo.

Wesson, do have a source for this or are you just purely speculating? I'd put my money on the later...

As for who I think will be the opening day LG... it really looks like it's gonna be St. Clair (unless we sign a RT like Mo Williams or Max Starks and draft either Brandon Albert or Chris Williams). And I wouldn't hate St. Clair being our starting LG. I've always liked him as a player, and in the final however many games he started last season, St. Clair played really well at LG. We could then add depth there by drafting someone like Drew Radovich in the middle rounds.

Wesson, do have a source for this or are you just purely speculating? I'd put my money on the later...

As for who I think will be the opening day LG... it really looks like it's gonna be St. Clair (unless we sign a RT like Mo Williams or Max Starks and draft either Brandon Albert or Chris Williams). And I wouldn't hate St. Clair being our starting LG. I've always liked him as a player, and in the final however many games he started last season, St. Clair played really well at LG. We could then add depth there by drafting someone like Drew Radovich in the middle rounds.

Here is the source!

Bears | Oakley may be a candidate for starting job

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:45:26 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears OG Anthony Oakley may be a candidate for the team's starting left guard spot next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Beekman may be a candidate for starting job

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:43:56 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears OG Josh Beekman may be a candidate for the team's starting left guard spot next season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bears | Metcalf may be a candidate for starting job

Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:36:43 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports Chicago Bears OG Terrance Metcalf may be a candidate for the team's starting left guard spot next season.

The Bears will have an open competition at the left guard spot between Beekman, Oakley and Metcalf. Who do you think should or will win this spot? St Clair look good at the spot late in the year and he also might be in the mix for it.

The only guy that played LG well was St. Clair and he's not even a LG. Metcalf is horrible. and how bad is Beekman if he didnt even see the field last year? Even if he got blown up, at least give the dude some PT. No clue on Oakley but they make some sweet sunglasses.

The Bears will have an open competition at the left guard spot between Beekman, Oakley and Metcalf. Who do you think should or will win this spot? St Clair look good at the spot late in the year and he also might be in the mix for it.

I have to say that this "open competition," at left guard is not what I thought the Bears had in mind when they mentioned improvement and change on the O-Line. Plenty of serviceable guards have gone to other teams this season via free gency the most recent being Jake Scott of the Colts goint to the Titans. If the Bears think that Beekman, Oakley, Metcalf, and St. Clair are as good as Scott, Smiley, Bell, or even Olivea they are out of thier minds. I failed ot mention Faneca only because it was a foregone conclusion that the Bears were not going to spend what he was asking for. Either way if we open up the season with any of those choices from the "competition," we are in serious trouble.

I'm fuckin disgusted how we are handling the O line right now. I'm also disgusted that we have no clue what Oakley or Beekman can offer because this staff refused to get them some experience last year.

Metcalf...pfft we know what he offers...He's fuckin horrible. He shouldn't even be on the team next year. He's not even a servicable back up.

I don't put too much into this. In looking at the roster, as it stands today, we would have a competition between this group, but I doubt seriously we enter camp w/ only this group. It is too early to truly declare who is and who is not in the competition.

Also, how much of this is pre-draft BS. By pretending that we like our group of OGs, it gives the impression OG is not a top need, but maybe that is pure smokescrean.

I would not put too much into this. We still have a lot of time in FA, and the draft, to add an OG, which very well could totally change this picture.