Anquan Boldin?

windbar

I called this happening a while back and its now a reality/possibility. THIS is the type of guy you trade for and who would fit perfect for us. I dont know what it would take to get him, but it definitely would be worth exploring. If we sign somehow find some competent FA O-lineman, Id be fine trading our 1st rd. pick; or next years and.....?

ANQUAN BOLTIN'?

Now that the Cardinals have locked up receiver Larry Fitzgerald at a more affordable (or, as the case may be, less unaffordable) price over the next four seasons, they might have to deal with another thorny issue at the position.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Anquan Boldin could want more money and/or a trade in the wake of Fitzgerald's $10 million-per-year contract.

Per Schefter, some in the Cardinals organization actually regard Boldin as the better wideout. But Boldin will make far, far less than Fitzgerald over the next three seasons -- he's due to earn base salaries of $2.5 million, $2.75 million, $3 million.

In our view, Fitzgerald and Boldin together is a luxury that the Cardinals don't need, especially with coach Ken Whisenhunt presumably trying to bring a Pittsburgh-style power running vibe to the desert.

Assuming that the Cardinals have a plan (which could be a dangerous assumption because we're talking about, you know, the Cardinals), the huge deal given to Fitzgerald should be regarded as evidence that they've opted to keep Fitzgerald over the long haul, and to get what they can for Boldin.

Throw in the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, and the stage is set for Boldin to start making noise about moving on.

Possible destinations are Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins.

Well, the question is...what would you give up for him? If you traded for him you'd be expecting to dump a bunch of cap room on resigning him right away, and the Bears aren't exactly in a position where they could afford to part with their first rounder for most players given their O-Line weakness.

I'd love to get Boldin. I'm not sure the cost...and I'm not sure if he'd want to be in Chicago given our historic epic failure at the QB postion...

I called this happening a while back and its now a reality/possibility. THIS is the type of guy you trade for and who would fit perfect for us. I dont know what it would take to get him, but it definitely would be worth exploring. If we sign somehow find some competent FA O-lineman, Id be fine trading our 1st rd. pick; or next years and.....?

ANQUAN BOLTIN'?

Now that the Cardinals have locked up receiver Larry Fitzgerald at a more affordable (or, as the case may be, less unaffordable) price over the next four seasons, they might have to deal with another thorny issue at the position.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Anquan Boldin could want more money and/or a trade in the wake of Fitzgerald's $10 million-per-year contract.

Per Schefter, some in the Cardinals organization actually regard Boldin as the better wideout. But Boldin will make far, far less than Fitzgerald over the next three seasons -- he's due to earn base salaries of $2.5 million, $2.75 million, $3 million.

In our view, Fitzgerald and Boldin together is a luxury that the Cardinals don't need, especially with coach Ken Whisenhunt presumably trying to bring a Pittsburgh-style power running vibe to the desert.

Assuming that the Cardinals have a plan (which could be a dangerous assumption because we're talking about, you know, the Cardinals), the huge deal given to Fitzgerald should be regarded as evidence that they've opted to keep Fitzgerald over the long haul, and to get what they can for Boldin.

Throw in the fact that Boldin is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, and the stage is set for Boldin to start making noise about moving on.

Possible destinations are Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins.

Or you could just draft Adarius Bowman. Everyone seems to be caught up in the fact that he's had bad workouts and not great 40 times and so he's slipping. but it's exactly the same things people were saying about Boldin (who went lower than most people expected). Peep this:

Size:

Boldin - 6'1" 216

Bowman - 6'3" 223

Junior Year Stats:

Boldin: 65 recs, 1,011 yds, 13 TDs

Bowman: 60 recs, 1,181 yds, 12 TDs (67, 1006, 8 last year)

Profiles:

Boldin (from CNN/SI):

BIO: Junior entry who leaves school a year early after winning second team All-Conference Honors, leading Florida State in all receiving categories with 65 catches, 1, 011 yards and 13 scores. Sat out the 2001 campaign after suffering a season ending knee injury during pre-season drills. Ranked third on the team as a sophomore in receiving with 41-664-6. Performed terribly at the Combine, running poorly and struggling during pass catching drills. Has been used sporadically at QB. Recently ran a 4.59 during Pro-Day workouts in Tallahassee.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized wide out who consistently makes positive plays for the offense. Extends and catches the pass away from his frame, boxes out defenders and effectively runs after the reception. Adjusts to the errant throw, reaching back to catch the ball without breaking stride. Settles into the open spot on the field, looks the pass into his hands and pulls the throw out of the air. Displays focus, concentration and timing.

NEGATIVES: Not quick off the line of scrimmage, lacks sharpness running routes and overall quickness. Does not have the second gear or have separation downfield.

ANALYSIS: Not as bad as he looked at the Combine but his draft ranking will suffer none the less. A viable possession receiver at the next level who sneaks it downfield on occasion.

Bowman (from NFL Draft Countdown):

Strengths:

Has excellent size with a solid frame and long arms...Very athletic...Terrific leaping ability...Very strong...Runs well after the catch...Has big, reliable hands and he will make the spectacular catch...A decent route runner...Tough and a hard worker...A big play threat...An outstanding blocker...Offers some versatility...Very productive.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't have great timed speed..Had some off-the-field issues and character may be a concern...Needs to improve his concentration...Will struggle to separate...Not real elusive...He lacks explosiveness and a burst...Might have to change positions.

Notes:

A top recruit coming out of high school who began his career at North Carolina but was dismissed from the team after he was cited for marijuana possession..Is also being looked at as a potential H-Back or Tight End...The speed factor will hold him back as a pro prospect but he's an impressive physical specimen...If teams weigh his workout numbers too heavily in their evaluations this guy could turn out to be a steal for someone..May never be a star but he absolutely has starting potential.

With all the talented WRs available in this draft, I would really like to see Bowman as a Bear.

But Boldin comes with successful NFL experience...

I'd rather go with the known commodity.

Or you could just draft Adarius Bowman. Everyone seems to be caught up in the fact that he's had bad workouts and not great 40 times and so he's slipping. but it's exactly the same things people were saying about Boldin (who went lower than most people expected). Peep this:

Size:

Boldin - 6'1" 216

Bowman - 6'3" 223

Junior Year Stats:

Boldin: 65 recs, 1,011 yds, 13 TDs

Bowman: 60 recs, 1,181 yds, 12 TDs (67, 1006, 8 last year)

Profiles:

Boldin (from CNN/SI):

BIO: Junior entry who leaves school a year early after winning second team All-Conference Honors, leading Florida State in all receiving categories with 65 catches, 1, 011 yards and 13 scores. Sat out the 2001 campaign after suffering a season ending knee injury during pre-season drills. Ranked third on the team as a sophomore in receiving with 41-664-6. Performed terribly at the Combine, running poorly and struggling during pass catching drills. Has been used sporadically at QB. Recently ran a 4.59 during Pro-Day workouts in Tallahassee.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized wide out who consistently makes positive plays for the offense. Extends and catches the pass away from his frame, boxes out defenders and effectively runs after the reception. Adjusts to the errant throw, reaching back to catch the ball without breaking stride. Settles into the open spot on the field, looks the pass into his hands and pulls the throw out of the air. Displays focus, concentration and timing.

NEGATIVES: Not quick off the line of scrimmage, lacks sharpness running routes and overall quickness. Does not have the second gear or have separation downfield.

ANALYSIS: Not as bad as he looked at the Combine but his draft ranking will suffer none the less. A viable possession receiver at the next level who sneaks it downfield on occasion.

Bowman (from NFL Draft Countdown):

Strengths:

Has excellent size with a solid frame and long arms...Very athletic...Terrific leaping ability...Very strong...Runs well after the catch...Has big, reliable hands and he will make the spectacular catch...A decent route runner...Tough and a hard worker...A big play threat...An outstanding blocker...Offers some versatility...Very productive.

Weaknesses:

Doesn't have great timed speed..Had some off-the-field issues and character may be a concern...Needs to improve his concentration...Will struggle to separate...Not real elusive...He lacks explosiveness and a burst...Might have to change positions.

Notes:

A top recruit coming out of high school who began his career at North Carolina but was dismissed from the team after he was cited for marijuana possession..Is also being looked at as a potential H-Back or Tight End...The speed factor will hold him back as a pro prospect but he's an impressive physical specimen...If teams weigh his workout numbers too heavily in their evaluations this guy could turn out to be a steal for someone..May never be a star but he absolutely has starting potential.

With all the talented WRs available in this draft, I would really like to see Bowman as a Bear.

But Boldin comes with successful NFL experience...

I'd rather go with the known commodity.

In a world of infinite cap space, infinite draft picks, and infinite players to trade for other players, that argument works. The problem is, none of those things are infinte.

If the Bears had a choice between giving up a 2nd rounder for Boldin and using a 2nd rounder to draft that other guy, the trade might make sense...if the Bears have the cap room for an extension without losing someone else (Harris/Hester?). If you thought of the deal as Hester and a 2nd for Boldin because Boldin's contract meant that you couldn't resign Hester...that deal wouldn't look very good to my eyes.

If it costs a first rounder for Boldin and you have to extend him, or you can get the other guy in the 2nd, the odds are that the Bears are better off with the draftee. And so on.

As they say, the devil's in the deal.

In a world of infinite cap space, infinite draft picks, and infinite players to trade for other players, that argument works. The problem is, none of those things are infinte.

If the Bears had a choice between giving up a 2nd rounder for Boldin and using a 2nd rounder to draft that other guy, the trade might make sense...if the Bears have the cap room for an extension without losing someone else (Harris/Hester?). If you thought of the deal as Hester and a 2nd for Boldin because Boldin's contract meant that you couldn't resign Hester...that deal wouldn't look very good to my eyes.

If it costs a first rounder for Boldin and you have to extend him, or you can get the other guy in the 2nd, the odds are that the Bears are better off with the draftee. And so on.

Yes, there are many factors you have to look at, but I am not sure I agree w/ your scenarios.

Angelo has said before he believes you have 4 or 5 big money players on each side. On offense, what do we have in terms of big money? Kreutz and Tait. Not sure they are even really big money anymore, but even if you factor them, who else. QB? Nope. WR? Nope. RB? Nope. TE? Nope.

Point is, I am not sure adding Boldin means you can not keep Hester. When it comes to Hester, I do not think it is a question of whether we can afford him, but whether or not we can agree on his market value. For example, Berrian. Could we have afforded to give Berrian the deal Minny gave him? Absolutely. We choose not to as we believed it was ridiculous money.

It is an old argument. Get the proven veteran or draft a player. That proven veteran will cost far more coin, though if the rookie is a top 15 pick, he won't be that cheap either, comes in totally unproven (potential bust) and further, may need a few years to develop.

Then I would factor Angelo track record drafting offense in the draft. Sorry, but it is not just below average, but freaking awful.

I am not sure I would give up a 1st and the coin for Boldin, though I think he is probably worth it. If we had a better OL and established QB, I would be all for it. We have a SB caliber defense and special teams. If you added a WR like him, it could spell championship. But when I look at the offense we have today, I see far too many holes and a couple years before we should expect such great things.

Then I would factor Angelo track record drafting offense in the draft. Sorry, but it is not just below average, but freaking awful.

Let's pull the trigger for JA! Hell, I'll do the draft too.

We give AZ nexts years 2nd and 5th for Boldin. Followed by the draft

1) Chris Williams- OT

2) Chad Henne(1) or Joe Flacco(2)- QB

3) Matt Forte- RB

3) Chilo Rachal- OG

4) Owen Schmitt- FB

5) Adarious Bowman- WR

Sorry, after I blew a nut I stopped drafting. Screw defense this year. We'll just pray for Mike Brown to stay healthy.

Next years 2nd? Um, put down the kool-aid and back away. It has already affected your senses. Stop while you can.

Boldin is a pro bowler, and one of the games elite WRs.

His rookie year, he caught 101-1377-8. And by the way. That was w/ Jeff Blake and Josh McCown as his QBs (mostly Blake). He was not only the only receiving threat, but only offensive threat (Shipp had about 800 yards rushing). So as a rookie, he comes in an dominates in an offense so bad, he is drawing double coverage after his first game (when he caught 10 for 217 yards and 2 scores).

He has missed a few games due to injury (6 in '04 and 4 in '07) but that has been the only thing to slow him down.

The guy is a pure stud, and still only 27. He would easily be worth not only a 1st, but a fairly high 1st. I would give up our 14th pick and the coin to sign him if our situation were different. I just have trouble doing it when it may be another few years before we can surround him w/ enough talent for him to really produce.

The guy is a pure stud, and still only 27. He would easily be worth not only a 1st, but a fairly high 1st. I would give up our 14th pick and the coin to sign him if our situation were different. I just have trouble doing it when it may be another few years before we can surround him w/ enough talent for him to really produce.

I think I agree pretty much with this and it's more simple than my point earlier. Boldin is clealry worth a 1st to someone, but I don't think he's worth a first to the Bears. A team like where the Patriots were last year for example, or where the Chargers were before they traded for Chambers, or where the Seahawks were when they dealt for Givens...where they feel like they're 1 big play WR away from a super bowl run, then he's worth that high pick or two to them. But until the Bears at least get their QB situation settled, it doesn't really help them to go spend money and lose first rounders on WR's.