Projecting the 2008 Compensatory Picks

Pixote

On the website FootballsFuture.com there is an interesting article/post from a guy who likes to make this prediction every year entitled Projecting the 2008 Compensatory Picks. He is saying he projects the Bears will get 3 7th round picks. Interesting information on how the picks are awarded.

3 7th rounders would be nice. Every year there are players every team are rushing to sign because they feel they could be worth a tryout but were not drafted. This would give the Bears a chance on taking a flyer on 3 of those players without having to compete for them after the draft is over. Never know what you may find.

On the website FootballsFuture.com there is an interesting article/post from a guy who likes to make this prediction every year entitled Projecting the 2008 Compensatory Picks. He is saying he projects the Bears will get 3 7th round picks. Interesting information on how the picks are awarded.

3 7th rounders would be nice. Every year there are players every team are rushing to sign because they feel they could be worth a tryout but were not drafted. This would give the Bears a chance on taking a flyer on 3 of those players without having to compete for them after the draft is over. Never know what you may find.

I would have loved to get some earlier picks since 7th rounds can be tough, but either way, the more 7th rounders you get the better the odds you get lucky and get a quality starter, backup, or special team player on your roster.

Afterall, while I know a lot of people weren't a fan of our old safety we traded to Carolina, but overall, given where we picked him and how quick he started for the Bears, that was a hell of a pickup by Angelo. Plus, there are always those guys that end up really sliding and turning into UFA's for whatever reason and in this case the Bears with 3 late picks can pretty much hand pick which one of those guys they want without having to deal with 30 or so other teams calling and negotiating with the players.

I would have loved to get some earlier picks since 7th rounds can be tough, but either way, the more 7th rounders you get the better the odds you get lucky and get a quality starter, backup, or special team player on your roster.

Afterall, while I know a lot of people weren't a fan of our old safety we traded to Carolina, but overall, given where we picked him and how quick he started for the Bears, that was a hell of a pickup by Angelo. Plus, there are always those guys that end up really sliding and turning into UFA's for whatever reason and in this case the Bears with 3 late picks can pretty much hand pick which one of those guys they want without having to deal with 30 or so other teams calling and negotiating with the players.

I believe Harris was a 6th rounder. McBride was a 7th rounder and looks like a great pick so far. Aaron Brant, other 7th last yr, was a complete bust. 7th round is a crap shoot but. like you said, the more picks you have the better.

Peace :bears

I believe Harris was a 6th rounder. McBride was a 7th rounder and looks like a great pick so far. Aaron Brant, other 7th last yr, was a complete bust. 7th round is a crap shoot but. like you said, the more picks you have the better.

Peace :bears

I just looked it up and your right on Harris. For some reason I was thinking he was a 7th rounder. Good call on McBride though. Not only was a 7th rounder who looks like he's going to turn into a solid backup (in fact he already was during his rookie season) but he has the ability to be a starting corner and an above average nickel back (which is where I expect him to play this season as I hope Tillman/Vasher are healthy and kicking ass as starters all season).

Will Lance Briggs count as a fee agent signing since he was already on the Bears as a franchise player (who legally could have been franchised again...even though we apparently told him we wouldn't)?

If not, then it seems that (according the method this guy describes) if we sign less free agents than we lose this year, then we have a fair shot at getting a really high draft pick next year (about a 3rd rounder) for losing Bernard Berrian. Maybe JA has thought about this because the 3 third round compensations awarded this year all had smaller contracts than Bernard and Bernard got a lot of playing time too. I guess I didn't realize (or had forgotten) you could get compensated with that high of a pick.

If you read the guy's post, he seems to be saying that the first necessary qualification is that you lost more FAs than you signed, regardless of worth. Then, all equal value losses are balanced with similarly valued gains...until you are left with the remaining guy(s) you lost who couldn't be matched up with a similarly valued gain...then a compensatory pick is awarded. Well, besideds Lance, we didn't sign anyone that came anywhere close to the contract Berrian signed with the Vikes, and according to that linked post, the new contract salary is by far the biggest factor in determining compensatory picks.

Basically, it seems that if we sign one too many players this offseason, we'll lose an almost guaranteed somewhat high draft pick next year.

I don't think signing your own players count, only players you sign from other teams. So far we lost Berrian and Ayanbadejo, and also possibly Reuben Brown (if someone signs him) and Antonio Garay. We've signed Booker and Lloyd, and that's it. So yeah, I'd say it's safe to say that we might not only get a 3rd round comp. pick, but also another late round one for Ayanbadejo.

I don't think signing your own players count, only players you sign from other teams. So far we lost Berrian and Ayanbadejo, and also possibly Reuben Brown (if someone signs him) and Antonio Garay. We've signed Booker and Lloyd, and that's it. So yeah, I'd say it's safe to say that we might not only get a 3rd round comp. pick, but also another late round one for Ayanbadejo.

Nice. If that's true then it adds another element to be considered for Angelo. He doesn't want to handicap himself in the hunt for free agents, but he also doesn't want to lose a possible high compensation pick for next year. In the end, it probably turned out lucky for the Bears that Bernard got a staggering deal from the Vikes rather than just enough to lose him anyway...and Jerry would probably like to capitalize on that.