Just a couple quick opinions

Guest TerraTor

Guest TerraTor

1. Deangelo Hall - Is it me or is this guy a total wash? He has called out so many recievers and they destroy him. Not to mention ive never seen him do anything worthy of the praise he gets (kinda like a RB i know in Chicago). I honestly would take Vasher or Tillman over him any day of the week.

2. Chad Johnson - I really think we should look into a trade. I think (as much as i wouldnt like it) doing this would warrant the drafting of an OT at #14. Even still, id love to have a huge recieving threat and then have Mendenhall in the backfield.

3. Matt Ryan - I wish for once they would show the virginia Tech game and FSU games where he looks absolutely terrible.

4. Joe Flacco - No way he gets to us in the 2nd. I dont see him or Brohm getting past Baltimore, Atlanta, etc.

5. Johnathon Stewart - Could we get him in a later 1st round (via trade) or move up in the 2nd and snag him. Even with recovery hed still be at more training camp than seabiscuit Benson was.

6. FA - How long will we wait until we sign some OL? I really think we should get Olivea. Hes a huge upgrade over Fred Miller either way and the guy is i think 27.

1. Deangelo Hall - Is it me or is this guy a total wash? He has called out so many recievers and they destroy him. Not to mention ive never seen him do anything worthy of the praise he gets (kinda like a RB i know in Chicago). I honestly would take Vasher or Tillman over him any day of the week.

2. Chad Johnson - I really think we should look into a trade. I think (as much as i wouldnt like it) doing this would warrant the drafting of an OT at #14. Even still, id love to have a huge recieving threat and then have Mendenhall in the backfield.

3. Matt Ryan - I wish for once they would show the virginia Tech game and FSU games where he looks absolutely terrible.

4. Joe Flacco - No way he gets to us in the 2nd. I dont see him or Brohm getting past Baltimore, Atlanta, etc.

5. Johnathon Stewart - Could we get him in a later 1st round (via trade) or move up in the 2nd and snag him. Even with recovery hed still be at more training camp than seabiscuit Benson was.

6. FA - How long will we wait until we sign some OL? I really think we should get Olivea. Hes a huge upgrade over Fred Miller either way and the guy is i think 27.

I agree with everything but #2. I think Johnson will cost us a first rounder and would rather we address o-line with that pick.

Peace :bears

I agree Hall is over-rated, but at the same time, I would also argue there are no longer shut down CBs in the league. Champ gets beat in todays NFL, where the rules are set up such that a WR can basically manhandle a CB, but if the corner puts his pinky on the WR, a flag is thrown. I think Hall is a top 5 CB in this league, but at the same time, simply do not believe the value of CBs is what it used to be. I would take ours over Hall, but that is because of (a) attitude (B) money © scheme. If it is a question of who is better, I don't even think its close. Hall is a far superior CB to either of ours. You talk about Hall getting burned, but imagine if our zone coverage DBs had to cover the league's elite in man.

As others have said, CJ would cost us our 1st, so that would end the OT v Mendenhall debate right there. Further, I would rather have Boldin. CJ is great, but I think Boldin is just as good (though a different game) and FAR less attitude.

I mentioned this before, but I wonder what it would take to move into the back of the 1st round. Trade up! I agree Flacco doesn't get to us in the 2nd. In fact, I think someone is going to try and jump into the end of the 1st to get in front of Miami, Atlanta, etc. Why not us?

At this point, I think we are done in FA. We have seen Bryant Johnson and Hackett both sign cheap deals, and we were no where near. Since the OL started getting "paid", we seemed to not only back off, but back out. At this point, I think we are planning to sit tight in FA and look to the draft. Whatever we do not fill in the draft, we may look to post-draft FA after that, but I simply do not expect us to be active against in FA until then. It sounds like we are now looking to use our time and money in negotiating w/ our own players.

Even you, I think, should be able to see a shred of logic in this. While it is nice to add FAs, plug holes, and lessen your draft day needs, at the same time, it also limits your options. Imagine the draft somehow worked out such that Claddy (the #2 OT who some think could go as high as #5 and could be an elite LT) falls to us, while Mendenhall is gone before we pick. Maybe YOU still would not take an OT, but my point is that at this point in FA, maybe it makes more sense to leave your options open.

I think you're pretty spot on.

1. He's not a total wash. He is pretty good. He's just not Champ Bailey good... I too would take Vasher or Tillman over him in a heartbeat.

2. As much as I'd like the upgrade, I just don't see him here. We are the black hole of QB's...he'd avoid us like the plague. And I think he'd cost us a 1st possibly. But for a 2nd, and if he were OK with it, I'd do it.

3. I think he's over-rated as well. But it's a thin class this year.

4. Agreed

5. If we can't get Mendenhall, I'd be good with seeking out Stewart.

6. At this point too, I'd like to see Olivea. I know he's had issues, but I think it's be a good insurance policy. I think JA's goind to wait out cuts before making the next moves besides in the draft.

One, could they not spread that cap hit out over 2 years. I would mention June 1st cut date, but I think new rules allow you to cut a player (or two) prior to June, but w/ the same effect spreading out the cap hit. $4m this year and next is still tough to choke down, but if the player is going to hurt your team more than help....

Two, to further the previous point, CJ is throwing out talk that dwarfs anything Briggs previously said. He is starting to hit levels that would make Terrell Owens look like a choir boy. He has already said he will not attend workouts, and you have to wonder where it ends. If all he is going to do is create problems, cap hits may not matter so much. What may be more important is simply getting rid of a player like that.

Three, if it is decided he has to go, it would be far better to do it sooner rather than later, as you can land a pick in what is considered a very good draft.

I have no idea what Cincy will do, but you have to wonder if they are going to keep around a player that gets into fights w/ the coaches, calls out players, shreds the team and says it can't win, says he doesn't want to be w/ them, and goes city to city telling everyone that will listen he would rather play for them than the team that drafted him.

I remember when Angelo came in and soon after cut Cade. We took a cap hit, though nothing as extreme as w/ CJ, but then again, Cade's "issues" were not nearly as extreme as w/ CJs either. Sometimes you simply have to cut bait. Minus the cap hit, Atlanta just dealt w/ a similar situation in Hall.

In terms of Chad Johnson...the Bengals would have to take an $8.03 million cap hit this season in order to trade him, and that's worth remembering. With that kind of cap hit, I doubt they'd give him up even for a mid first rounder +.

If I had a player strike a coach, he would be gone. That just can't happen. Money would be no object to get rid of that cancer. Look what it has cost Atlanta. Al Davis is also a cancer of an owner. Look what it is continuing to cost the Raiders. Bad apples need to go or they will destroy your franchise. Signing them to huge contracts or trading for them is the risk you take. I am for neither.