I'm coming to terms...

madlithuanian

...that I don't think Mendenhall will fall to slot 14.

Given that, I do hope we shoot for OL. There should be enough top tier guys for us to nab one at that point.

I think he'll be there. I just don't think we'll bite. Considering Wolfe's a 3rd round pick, we're still pretending like Cedric has a chance to be something more then a worthless pile of crap, and AP is a nice back-up. It's REAL tough to justify spending the #14 pick on RB when we have not one but two o-line positions we need to fill.

That being said, I'd love to have him.

Guest TerraTor
I think he'll be there. I just don't think we'll bite. Considering Wolfe's a 3rd round pick, we're still pretending like Cedric has a chance to be something more then a worthless pile of crap, and AP is a nice back-up. It's REAL tough to justify spending the #14 pick on RB when we have not one but two o-line positions we need to fill.

he was only a 3rd round pick in Angelo's eyes. We have no RB capable of starting for any team, its a joke. We need to shoreup the Oline thru FA and later draft picks.

I hear ya TerraTor...

If Mendenhall does fall to us for some odd reason, I will be in a deep funk if we don't take him...

he was only a 3rd round pick in Angelo's eyes. We have no RB capable of starting for any team, its a joke. We need to shoreup the Oline thru FA and later draft picks.

It's kinda tough to fix the OLine through free agency when most of the free agent OLinemen were nothing special, and the good ones signed for ridiculous amounts (see Faneca for example). RB's can be easily found. Look at Grant for the Packers and Graham for the Buccs, and any RB who has ever ran behind the Broncos OLine for the past 15 years or so. Good OLinemen turn mediocre/bad RB's into good running backs... Good running backs turn bad OLinemen into nothing.

Simple fact... YOU CAN'T RUN IF PEOPLE ARE IN HE BACKFIELD BEFORE YOU GET THE BALL!

Mendenhall will likely be there at 14, but would be a wasted pick behind this shit OLine. We not only need a new starter at tackle, but also at LG. Drafting Mendenhall at 14 will be, simply put, stupid. Especially when you consider all the needs of this team.

I beg to differ...finding a RB is not easy.

Look at us, look at the Lions... Citing the Broncos is the exception that makes the rule... Also, let's not anoint Grant as great yet...Favre had a career year thus opening holes for Grant. I'd like to see Grant without the great Favre. Let's also not forget the RB woes of the Panthers, Bengals, Atlanta, Seattle...

No, you can't run if people are in the backfield unless you're a Barry Sanders. But, I think that what we will have when the season starts this year will be an upgrade to last year regardless.

To say Mendenhall would be a wasted pick is just plain hate. You could say, we won't see fruits of that until we shore up the line...but to say it's a wasted pick means you're a soothsayer and can predict the future. And if that were the case, you'd be in the Caribbean drinking an umbrella drink being fanned by 20 hotties and not on a Bears fan site... I could even accept stupid...as you just deem somethings more important thatn others. But, wasted it would not be. Unless he is like Benson, but there's no knowing that at all right now.

Yes, I agree, we have too many needs...but one of them is a stud RB!

It's kinda tough to fix the OLine through free agency when most of the free agent OLinemen were nothing special, and the good ones signed for ridiculous amounts (see Faneca for example). RB's can be easily found. Look at Grant for the Packers and Graham for the Buccs, and any RB who has ever ran behind the Broncos OLine for the past 15 years or so. Good OLinemen turn mediocre/bad RB's into good running backs... Good running backs turn bad OLinemen into nothing.

Simple fact... YOU CAN'T RUN IF PEOPLE ARE IN HE BACKFIELD BEFORE YOU GET THE BALL!

Mendenhall will likely be there at 14, but would be a wasted pick behind this shit OLine. We not only need a new starter at tackle, but also at LG. Drafting Mendenhall at 14 will be, simply put, stupid. Especially when you consider all the needs of this team.

The Reason i disagree with Mendehall being a wasted pick is either way we are going to need a true number 1 back. Cedric is a bust, Wolf is a gimmick back, and AP is excellent special teams guy. Im not saying the OL is not important, we need to draft two O lineman but at pick 14 we need to draft the right value. If Chris Williams is not available which is a strong possibility, Mendenhall fills a need at the right value instead of reaching on Otah or Albert to fill a need. So Mendenhall at 14 is not stupid because we dont have a true number 1 back. When you consider all the needs of this team RB ranks very high on that list.

Well put fenom283...

I think I'm a bit too attached to Mendenhall to be completely unbiassed. You put it far more objectively than I did.

The Reason i disagree with Mendehall being a wasted pick is either way we are going to need a true number 1 back. Cedric is a bust, Wolf is a gimmick back, and AP is excellent special teams guy. Im not saying the OL is not important, we need to draft two O lineman but at pick 14 we need to draft the right value. If Chris Williams is not available which is a strong possibility, Mendenhall fills a need at the right value instead of reaching on Otah or Albert to fill a need. So Mendenhall at 14 is not stupid because we dont have a true number 1 back. When you consider all the needs of this team RB ranks very high on that list.

I know I'm in a huge minority here, but Benson deserves one more shot without a revolving door at both LG and RT. I know, his punk ass attitude pisses of a lot of people, myself included, but our best option would be to fix the OLine and hope Benson returns to Texas form. I agree that RB is a need, but it shouldn't be addressed any earlier then round 3, if that.

Everything begins and ends with the OLine. If you look at all the great teams in the past, their success was mainly dependent on the OLine play. A great OLine keeps the QB upright with plenty of time to throw, and open up holes for even the shitiest RB to average 4 ypc. Everything else is overrated compared to the OLine.

I know I'm in a huge minority here, but Benson deserves one more shot without a revolving door at both LG and RT. I know, his punk ass attitude pisses of a lot of people, myself included, but our best option would be to fix the OLine and hope Benson returns to Texas form. I agree that RB is a need, but it shouldn't be addressed any earlier then round 3, if that.

Everything begins and ends with the OLine. If you look at all the great teams in the past, their success was mainly dependent on the OLine play. A great OLine keeps the QB upright with plenty of time to throw, and open up holes for even the shitiest RB to average 4 ypc. Everything else is overrated compared to the OLine.

I'm with you on this one Bearsox. Take Emmitt Smith for instance, even though he was a first RD pick, he didn't have the tools as the top RB's did (size, speed) he played with a big heart and good vision. He also played with one of the biggest and most dominant offensive lines. If he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Bucs, he would of been considered a bust averaging 3 yds/carry (Reggie Cobb), but he is considered one of the greatest up there with Walter.

I'd love to have Mendenhall. I'd buy his jerseys, autographs, and stalk him at Bourbonnais. But the best interest for the Bears is to shore up the O-line. It won't be long and Kreutz and Tait will be joining Brown/Miller in the retirement home. Benson looked good two years ago when the line was still decent. Last year he got blasted and deservingly so, but the hole offense looked like crap also.

Neglecting the OL would be a horrible move and we should not just be using draft picks on OL but snagging FA cast offs as well. I was all for giving Benson a second chance but with an injury thats going to make a slow back slower and now he can even be labeled injury prone. Mike Brown is injury prone but you know in his heart he wants to be on that field but I can argue against that in Benson's case. He is a bust and for a power running team we are going to need a back to carry the load and a OL that can block which ever is the best value at our draft position should be taken accordingly.

I'm with you on this one Bearsox. Take Emmitt Smith for instance, even though he was a first RD pick, he didn't have the tools as the top RB's did (size, speed) he played with a big heart and good vision. He also played with one of the biggest and most dominant offensive lines. If he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Bucs, he would of been considered a bust averaging 3 yds/carry (Reggie Cobb), but he is considered one of the greatest up there with Walter.

I'd love to have Mendenhall. I'd buy his jerseys, autographs, and stalk him at Bourbonnais. But the best interest for the Bears is to shore up the O-line. It won't be long and Kreutz and Tait will be joining Brown/Miller in the retirement home. Benson looked good two years ago when the line was still decent. Last year he got blasted and deservingly so, but the hole offense looked like crap also.

so all the Bears need to do is put together one of the best OL of the past 20 years and Benson will be all set. Sounds like a plan to me. :blink:

There were plenty of decently prices OL FA available. JA didnt bite. Mo Williams and Jake Scott for example. Both were VERY resonable deals for pretty good OL and would have not broken the bank for the Bears.

Though, I wouldnt be upset with Mendenhall, I want Williams, Clady or even Albert with the #14 and get a playmaker at RB in the 2nd.

I agree with you, too. Benson deserves another chance, but if we draft Mendenhall, atleast we won't go the rest of the season if Benson completely blows or just gets injured with a mediocre 1-2 set of RB's including Peterson and Wolfe. Atleast then we'll have Mendenhall already and then we could draft a WR, QB, or whatever our biggest need is in the 09 draft without having to worry about drafting a RB.

However, I wouldn't be disappointed if we went with Albert or Williams, and then Forte in the 2nd/3rd, or Slaton/Smith/Choice in the 4th.

I agree about having to address OL first and foremost but I wouldnt put it past us to go after a RB if he is high on JAs board which Mendenhall might be. He said he was going to bring in competition for Benson so it could be a first round RB.

I told you guys before the Bears drafted Benson that it was a bad idea.

I'm telling you, again, that drafting a RB at 14 is a mistake unless it's McFadden (which ain't gonna happen).

Read the signature below...

You dont need to convince me. i absolutely think they have to go with OL with the first pick. I actually think it almost has to be a LT or even a LG, Im just curious if the Bears will go that route. FOr the record. I was very upset about the Benson pick.

Here's the key..."he played with a big heart".

I do not see that with Benson. I see an injury plagued guy that isn't into it.

I forget the exact quote, but the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over getting the same results, yet expecting something different.

Actuall, I disagree...I think most people do know that. Maybe I'm wrong...but I definitely know it. He was supposed to be this big durable back. But, there were questions on his chracter and desire. I think those questions have been answered!

In that draft, I felt we didn't need a RB and thought it completely frivilous. I wanted Derrick Johnson to have the beefiest LB crew ever at the time...

In the end, the draft is a crap shoot. To not draft a position because you had bad luck with one in the past is foolishness.

Most people either don't realize this or don't know, but Benson was a much better prospect then Mendenhall coming out. He was considered a sure thing as well.

Just throwing that out there.

His point is the "wasted" comment was to mean that if we do not upgrade the OL, no RB is going to look good. If Mendenhal comes in and runs behind our OL, he too is likely to put up weak numbers. It isn't to say or mean Mendenhal sucks. Only to mean that w/o upgrade the OL, he would be getting him behind the LOS, and suck, and our run game would not improve.

Also, just wanted to talk about the examples.

You may not be ready to anoint Grant. Fine. At the same time, he stepped up when some other RBs did not, and stepped up big time. Not saying he is a proven stud, but I do not think you can take away from him.

You mention 4 other teams, but I am not sure your point. The point was made it is not as difficult to find a RB, but the point is made as part of the greater argument that OLs can make a RB. You throw out 4 teams that struggled at RB, but at the same time, those teams did not have OLs worth speaking off, and thus are not great examples. Further, I wonder if they would not also provide evidence of drafting OL.

Det - They have tried to use a 1st round pick (Kevin Jones) as well as RBs that showed something elsewhere, like Bell. None have really worked out. While they have struggled to find a RB, at the same time, their OL has remained a big problem. They tried to build their OL through FA and spent a 1st on a RB, but it didn't workout, as that paid for OL continued to suck. So while they struggle to find a RB, maybe part of the reason is putting their FAs and draft picks behind a shit OL.

Carolina - Another below average OL, and another team that has put a 1st and 2nd round pick at RB behind this weak OL. Once again we see how highly touted RBs struggle w/o a solid OL to block for them.

Cincy - Not sure they have had trouble finding a good RB. Rudi Johnson is a very good RB, but when their OL went to shit, so did his overall numbers. Here is a team that had a solid RB in Rudi, and then added another 1st (Perry) and 2nd (Irons). None have shined, but while the team has added higher end RBs, it has not upgraded the OL well enough, and thus the ground game has continued to struggle, despite a high powere passing attack that prevents teams from stacking the box.

Atlanta - I would use Atlanta as an example that a good OL makes the difference. This year was a bomb, but Dunn did fairly well due to a decent OL.

Seattle - Yet another example I would point to the importance of the OL. Not long ago, Seattle appeared to have the best OL in the game, or among the best. They lost Hutch and one other OL which they failed to adequately replace, and their run game went to the crapper.

While there are exceptions to every rule, I simply am among those who believe that if you have a good OL, you will have a good run game, regardless who is running the ball. Behind a good OL, I think AP could look good, and I mean our AP. W/o a good OL, AP would not even look good, and I mean Minny's AP on that one.

His point is the "wasted" comment was to mean that if we do not upgrade the OL, no RB is going to look good. If Mendenhal comes in and runs behind our OL, he too is likely to put up weak numbers. It isn't to say or mean Mendenhal sucks. Only to mean that w/o upgrade the OL, he would be getting him behind the LOS, and suck, and our run game would not improve.

While there are exceptions to every rule, I simply am among those who believe that if you have a good OL, you will have a good run game, regardless who is running the ball. Behind a good OL, I think AP could look good, and I mean our AP. W/o a good OL, AP would not even look good, and I mean Minny's AP on that one.

It all starts in the trenches. We need an OL upgrade in the worst way. Either trade up and get Long, hope Clady makes it to 14 or trade down and take Otah, Williams or. . . .

That may be...but the comment comes off as bad. Wasted means wasted. Are you certain Medenhall will put up weaker numbers than Benson behind St Clair and Metcalf vs Miller and Brown last year? I think St Clair is better. I don't think Metcalf is...but maybe between him and Beekman (and pssobily a FA after cuts or the draft), we should be better. We won't be the Cowboys of the 90's, but I think better than last season. Much will also depend on the QB play as well... but I digress.

I take nothing away from what Grant did...I just want to see him do that again without Favre. Denver has had lackluster back too...and them get ones that get mad yards there and can't find an inch elsewhere.

I stand by my comments. It is difficult to find a good RB. I never denied a better OL makes for a better running game. But a good back is a good back! He should be had! Granted, none of my examples had stellar OL's...but nor did they have stellar backs.

Believe you me, in the end, I'm all about taking the best player available at QB, RB, WR, or OL. THose are our biggest weaknesses and they need addressing. I just happen to think where we sit, Mendenhall is a value and the OL mentioned other than Long are where they should be. I think Mendenhall is top ten. If we get him at 14, we've beaten the system. If we pick up one of the plethora of OL mentioned, we're getting exactly what we should. No problem. We're not reaching. We're just not getting any more. But, again, I think higher of Mendenhall than most apparently. I sure wish more people thought as I did when we drafted Benson over Derrick Johnson 4 years ago... ;)

You may not be ready to anoint Grant. Fine. At the same time, he stepped up when some other RBs did not, and stepped up big time. Not saying he is a proven stud, but I do not think you can take away from him.

You mention 4 other teams, but I am not sure your point. The point was made it is not as difficult to find a RB, but the point is made as part of the greater argument that OLs can make a RB. You throw out 4 teams that struggled at RB, but at the same time, those teams did not have OLs worth speaking off, and thus are not great examples. Further, I wonder if they would not also provide evidence of drafting OL.

Det - They have tried to use a 1st round pick (Kevin Jones) as well as RBs that showed something elsewhere, like Bell. None have really worked out. While they have struggled to find a RB, at the same time, their OL has remained a big problem. They tried to build their OL through FA and spent a 1st on a RB, but it didn't workout, as that paid for OL continued to suck. So while they struggle to find a RB, maybe part of the reason is putting their FAs and draft picks behind a shit OL.

Carolina - Another below average OL, and another team that has put a 1st and 2nd round pick at RB behind this weak OL. Once again we see how highly touted RBs struggle w/o a solid OL to block for them.

Cincy - Not sure they have had trouble finding a good RB. Rudi Johnson is a very good RB, but when their OL went to shit, so did his overall numbers. Here is a team that had a solid RB in Rudi, and then added another 1st (Perry) and 2nd (Irons). None have shined, but while the team has added higher end RBs, it has not upgraded the OL well enough, and thus the ground game has continued to struggle, despite a high powere passing attack that prevents teams from stacking the box.

Atlanta - I would use Atlanta as an example that a good OL makes the difference. This year was a bomb, but Dunn did fairly well due to a decent OL.

Seattle - Yet another example I would point to the importance of the OL. Not long ago, Seattle appeared to have the best OL in the game, or among the best. They lost Hutch and one other OL which they failed to adequately replace, and their run game went to the crapper.

Chile, I hear ya. If we did trade up to get Long, I'd be all for it. He sounds like the real deal. The others just don't excite me.

Your sig says it all... I'm not comparing Gale to Mendenahll...but I think he would be the next great Bear RB if we took him.

It all starts in the trenches. We need an OL upgrade in the worst way. Either trade up and get Long, hope Clady makes it to 14 or trade down and take Otah, Williams or. . . .

Chile, I hear ya. If we did trade up to get Long, I'd be all for it. He sounds like the real deal. The others just don't excite me.

Your sig says it all... I'm not comparing Gale to Mendenahll...but I think he would be the next great Bear RB if we took him.

And you know there isn't a snowball's chance that JA is going to trade up that far to get him. Mendenhall would be a great addition, but I'm in the camp that says we gotta have Oline help and if one of the big OTs are there at 14 I want us to take him.

What im saying is at 14 if we take Otah or Albert we are not getting the best value at the pick. Otah is raw and may take a year to develop and Albert is also raw and an early to mid 20's pick. If Clady or Williams were there at 14 then there would be a legit argument. If we draft Mendehall in round 1 and a tackle and guard in rounds 2 and 3 I would def be okay with that . I don't think its the wrong thing to do or a waste of a pick because you have filled one hole at the right value.