Lovie calls out Benson

GakMan23

Bears | L. Smith expects more from Benson

Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:44:09 -0700

Clark Judge, of CBSSports.com, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith expects more from RB Cedric Benson in 2008. "Cedric is a first-round draft pick, and with that are expectations," Smith said. "And there comes a time when he needs to produce. This is an important year for us and for him, and he needs to take a step."

Looks like the Bears are done being patient with him. Hopefully that lights a fire under his arse.

Good for Lovie...but WHY HAS IT TAKEN THIS LONG!?

Probalby means we'll be content staying with him and won't be drafting Mendenhall. Unless it's a smoke screen.

Clark Judge, of CBSSports.com, reports Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith expects more from RB Cedric Benson in 2008. "Cedric is a first-round draft pick, and with that are expectations," Smith said. "And there comes a time when he needs to produce. This is an important year for us and for him, and he needs to take a step."

Looks like the Bears are done being patient with him. Hopefully that lights a fire under his arse.

At least at the beginning of last season. Benson was, like a few other players on this team, given the job...and in his particular case, didn't seem to think anything of the responsibility. It would have been nice to hear the coach say that more is expected of him. And would have been nice to hear Benson do something other than shrug his shoulders...

I'd have even settled for right after the season to make that statement. DOn't get me wrong, I'm still glad he made it now. It could just be that we're always thinking "Bears" around here, and the rest of the sports world is focussed elsewhere until the draft.

Just wondering when did you want Lovie to make this statement?

Peace :bears

At least at the beginning of last season. Benson was, like a few other players on this team, given the job...and in his particular case, didn't seem to think anything of the responsibility. It would have been nice to hear the coach say that more is expected of him. And would have been nice to hear Benson do something other than shrug his shoulders...

I'd have even settled for right after the season to make that statement. DOn't get me wrong, I'm still glad he made it now. It could just be that we're always thinking "Bears" around here, and the rest of the sports world is focussed elsewhere until the draft.

I think they did that last yr by giving him the job. I remember throughout last yr Lovie saying he had to play better (maybe I'm mistaken). Point is, Ced knows he is on the hotseat. Whether or not he cares is another matter. Whether or not he is healthy enough to contribute is another. I believe we will see the Bears draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. Personally, I want Forte. I think we need to go O-line in round one, Forte in round 2, and WR/QB in round 3.

Yeah but two years ago he looked really good getting 10-15 carries a game, splitting time with TJ. I fact alot of people called for him to get more carries.

Why would he call him out then?

Maybe my memory slips me...I just don't recall any sens of urgency in any of it. From either Lovie and especially Benson.

I do really hope we draft a RB in the top 3 rounds...

I think fire lit under his butt or not, Benson can't be relied upon.

I think they did that last yr by giving him the job. I remember throughout last yr Lovie saying he had to play better (maybe I'm mistaken). Point is, Ced knows he is on the hotseat. Whether or not he cares is another matter. Whether or not he is healthy enough to contribute is another. I believe we will see the Bears draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. Personally, I want Forte. I think we need to go O-line in round one, Forte in round 2, and WR/QB in round 3.

Two years ago was two years ago... And he's been even more injured since then. Heck, I was wanting to have him get more carries back then too. I wanted to see what we had.

Now that I know...I want him having less. ...and knowing is half the battle. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Yeah but two years ago he looked really good getting 10-15 carries a game, splitting time with TJ. I fact alot of people called for him to get more carries.

Why would he call him out then?

IMHO, after last season, the entire team should be called out. No issue w/ Benson being called out, but is that where it ends?

I mean, who should not be called out? Even our best playmaker (Hester) can be called out for his inability to pickup the offense. And the face of our organization (Urlacher) may have finished strong, but most all believe he was weak most of the year.

From our HC to our 53rd player, everyone deserves to be called out on this team.

I have no problem with it at all. I dont think he should be the only one to get called out but Lovie is certainly justified for doing it. Between his injuries, inconsistencies and lack of progress I think this is a make or break year for him. If he cant get his YPC much closer to 4 or stay healthy than I think he will be gone after this year.

I have no problem with it at all. I dont think he should be the only one to get called out but Lovie is certainly justified for doing it. Between his injuries, inconsistencies and lack of progress I think this is a make or break year for him. If he cant get his YPC much closer to 4 or stay healthy than I think he will be gone after this year.

One of the folks who knows this issue better than me can chime in here, but isn't another reason why this is a make or break year for him the fact that the cap hit for moving him should decline by quite a bit after this season?

No arguement here...

IMHO, after last season, the entire team should be called out. No issue w/ Benson being called out, but is that where it ends?

I mean, who should not be called out? Even our best playmaker (Hester) can be called out for his inability to pickup the offense. And the face of our organization (Urlacher) may have finished strong, but most all believe he was weak most of the year.

From our HC to our 53rd player, everyone deserves to be called out on this team.

One of the folks who knows this issue better than me can chime in here, but isn't another reason why this is a make or break year for him the fact that the cap hit for moving him should decline by quite a bit after this season?

You are correct. I am pretty sure there is a signifiant drop in cap hit after this year plus if he doesn't meet certain production numbers the accellerators won't kick in and it will be even less. I am not completely sure on numbers though.

Ya, hes at the tail end of a decent sized rookie contract and even with his bonus prorated over the remaining time on the contract it isnt anything too extreme, whereas a few years ago it would have cripple us.

That's not calling him out. What Lovie should have said about Cedric is, "Slow, selfish asshole, says ignorant things, throws his teammates under the bus, cocky without reason, overpaid, bad hands, bad blocker, won't play hurt, worthless piece of crap . . . we might as well have drafted Mike Williams or Troy Williamson . . . at least we'd have gotten a draft-pick out of them."

It's too bad Lovie didn't say how he really felt.

That's not calling him out. What Lovie should have said about Cedric is, "Slow, selfish asshole, says ignorant things, throws his teammates under the bus, cocky without reason, overpaid, bad hands, bad blocker, won't play hurt, worthless piece of crap . . . we might as well have drafted Mike Williams or Troy Williamson . . . at least we'd have gotten a draft-pick out of them."

I wouldnt say that is a completely accurate description...

...you forgot cant break arm tackles

Were you describing Benson or Moose?

Slow - He has shown speed, but it is hard to display speed when you meet your first defender about the same time you get the ball. He is not, never was, or will be, a burner, but he does have speed.

selfish - Based on what? Said it before, and will again, but the deal Benson signed, and the deal Cadillac sign I think does signify the team may not have ever been prepared to put up market value for the 4th pick.

asshole - I think his character, and in particular his motivation, can be questioned, but this is a bit much.

says ignorant things - Okay. He has said some really stupid things. Dealing w/ the media is FAR from his strong suit.

overpaid - What I saw last year, that would apply to nearly the entire team.

bad hands - Not a good receiver, but I am not sure I would go so far as to say bad hands.

bad blocker - I would say developing blocker. His blocking itself I thought was actually very good, but his decision making wasn't always. When he picked up a block, I often saw him do an outstanding job. The problem was, he doesn't always seem to have a good feel for which player/side to pickup. Maybe that has something to do w/ never having an opportunity to learn since he was constantly pulled on 3rd downs.

won't play hurt - sorry, but where do you get this. If a player is just flat out injured, how is he supposed to play. To me, this would be like calling out Mike Brown for not playing hurt. I can understand if you want to say he is hurt too often, but doesn't play hurt?

Might as well have drafted Mike Williams or Troy Williamson. Well, at least Benson still has a chance to do well for his own team. The other two players are no longer even on their original teams.

Hey, I was his biggest supported, and even I can look at him realistically. I have yet to see the player I saw in college, either in production or attitude. At the same time, I think many of the faults you apply to him are over-blown.

Slow - Compared to most backs..he's slow. He was never considered a burner...but that alsomeans, he's not fast like it or not.

Selfish - Based on his contract hold out, it's valid. The team is selfish too. But to say Benson isn't is not correct.

Asshole - Maybe a bit much. But I wouldn't say it's off prompt. This guy has no friends in the locker room. Even the biggest a-holes I knew when I played in high school got a long in the locker room...

Sayas ignorant thing - Signed, sealed and delivered.

Overpaid - Yep, everyone was overpaid last season...but he was over-paid.

Bad hands - I'll agree here...his hands aren't that awful. He's not good, but dropped less than Moose.

Bad blocker - He's bad...developing or not. He sure isn't good at this point.

Won't play hurt - He took himself out of the Super Bowl. Leave Mike Borwn out of this. Borwn would play if his body would let him. I get the distinct feeling Benson would pull himself out of a game if his Super Friends band-aid fell off his pinky...

I still would have drafted Derrick Johnson! ;)

I was big time behind Benson...until I found out what he was all about. Now, he is on my S list...

Slow - He has shown speed, but it is hard to display speed when you meet your first defender about the same time you get the ball. He is not, never was, or will be, a burner, but he does have speed.

selfish - Based on what? Said it before, and will again, but the deal Benson signed, and the deal Cadillac sign I think does signify the team may not have ever been prepared to put up market value for the 4th pick.

asshole - I think his character, and in particular his motivation, can be questioned, but this is a bit much.

says ignorant things - Okay. He has said some really stupid things. Dealing w/ the media is FAR from his strong suit.

overpaid - What I saw last year, that would apply to nearly the entire team.

bad hands - Not a good receiver, but I am not sure I would go so far as to say bad hands.

bad blocker - I would say developing blocker. His blocking itself I thought was actually very good, but his decision making wasn't always. When he picked up a block, I often saw him do an outstanding job. The problem was, he doesn't always seem to have a good feel for which player/side to pickup. Maybe that has something to do w/ never having an opportunity to learn since he was constantly pulled on 3rd downs.

won't play hurt - sorry, but where do you get this. If a player is just flat out injured, how is he supposed to play. To me, this would be like calling out Mike Brown for not playing hurt. I can understand if you want to say he is hurt too often, but doesn't play hurt?

Might as well have drafted Mike Williams or Troy Williamson. Well, at least Benson still has a chance to do well for his own team. The other two players are no longer even on their original teams.

Hey, I was his biggest supported, and even I can look at him realistically. I have yet to see the player I saw in college, either in production or attitude. At the same time, I think many of the faults you apply to him are over-blown.

Slow - Compared to most backs..he's slow. He was never considered a burner...but that alsomeans, he's not fast like it or not.

I still disagree. I think he has shown speed. The issue, IMHO, is he is the sort of RB that does not have that immediate speed. If he has an opportunity to hit a hole, I think he has shown speed. The issue is he has not seen many holes. I have said this before, but do you realize that in 2006, Benson has more 20+ yard runs than TJ, who I think you would agree has speed. Benson has speed, but needs space to show it.

Selfish - Based on his contract hold out, it's valid. The team is selfish too. But to say Benson isn't is not correct.

Still disagree. Asking for market value is not being selfish. Selfish would be demanding greater than market value. Negotiations is an aspect no fans enjoy, but is simply part of the business of the game.

Asshole - Maybe a bit much. But I wouldn't say it's off prompt. This guy has no friends in the locker room. Even the biggest a-holes I knew when I played in high school got a long in the locker room...

I wonder about this. Numerous times last year, I heard players speak up for Benson and defend him. He may not be the most popular guy on the team, but I am not sure it would be accurate to say he has no friends in the locker room either.

Overpaid - Yep, everyone was overpaid last season...but he was over-paid.

While I understand your point, I would argue this is calling out Benson in such a way as to separate him from the rest of the team.

Bad blocker - He's bad...developing or not. He sure isn't good at this point.

I simply do not believe he is such a bad blocker. May not be his strong suit, but I do not believe it is such a weakness either. IMHO, he was a better blocker than AP, by a long shot, last year. He is still learning and developing, but I saw him make some great blocks last year. He was the opposite of AP, IMHO. AP knew who to block, but would get blown up trying. Benson had some missed assignments, or appeared to, but on the whole, I thought he did a pretty solid job blocking.

Won't play hurt - He took himself out of the Super Bowl. Leave Mike Borwn out of this. Borwn would play if his body would let him. I get the distinct feeling Benson would pull himself out of a game if his Super Friends band-aid fell off his pinky...

Come on. He was injured in the SB. It isn't like he said he had a headache and asked to be pulled. There was one blurb from someone who made this claim, but I do not recall it being the common belief, and yet fans have run w/ it.

I still would have drafted Derrick Johnson! ;)

And I still say that would have been a mistake, as he would never have developed into the playmaker he has become, as he would have had to play SLB, which I simply do not believe he would do well at.

I was big time behind Benson...until I found out what he was all about. Now, he is on my S list...

Not on my S list, but I am not high on him either, and would say he is on his last chance. Put up or shut up time.

I still disagree. I think he has shown speed. The issue, IMHO, is he is the sort of RB that does not have that immediate speed. If he has an opportunity to hit a hole, I think he has shown speed. The issue is he has not seen many holes. I have said this before, but do you realize that in 2006, Benson has more 20+ yard runs than TJ, who I think you would agree has speed. Benson has speed, but needs space to show it.

Still disagree. Asking for market value is not being selfish. Selfish would be demanding greater than market value. Negotiations is an aspect no fans enjoy, but is simply part of the business of the game.

I wonder about this. Numerous times last year, I heard players speak up for Benson and defend him. He may not be the most popular guy on the team, but I am not sure it would be accurate to say he has no friends in the locker room either.

While I understand your point, I would argue this is calling out Benson in such a way as to separate him from the rest of the team.

I simply do not believe he is such a bad blocker. May not be his strong suit, but I do not believe it is such a weakness either. IMHO, he was a better blocker than AP, by a long shot, last year. He is still learning and developing, but I saw him make some great blocks last year. He was the opposite of AP, IMHO. AP knew who to block, but would get blown up trying. Benson had some missed assignments, or appeared to, but on the whole, I thought he did a pretty solid job blocking.

Come on. He was injured in the SB. It isn't like he said he had a headache and asked to be pulled. There was one blurb from someone who made this claim, but I do not recall it being the common belief, and yet fans have run w/ it.

And I still say that would have been a mistake, as he would never have developed into the playmaker he has become, as he would have had to play SLB, which I simply do not believe he would do well at.

Not on my S list, but I am not high on him either, and would say he is on his last chance. Put up or shut up time.

Agree with all of this, nfo.

I'm still waiting for someone to call out the POS oline.

We could go back and forth on this all day...(and beef up our post #'s)

But I really don't disagree heavily with your comments. I just feel harsher towards him.

I still call the man out for sitting in the SB. Cortizone up and play like you'll never get there again! I just don't buy it... If he was indeed that seriously injured, I'll back off. But I've never read that it was a dire injury.

I was at the SD game, and I saw Benson miss about half a dozen blacks. If not more. It was like he was trying out to be a matador... How many RB's are good blockers? Not all that many I think. I don't think Benson is close in being considered good. Maybe closet to just average at best in the grand scheme. I think the thought process is if you are not good, you're bad. It's a generalization...

...and I still want Derrick Johnson over Benson! We would have probably traded Briggs and rec'd something quite good.

I still call the man out for sitting in the SB. Cortizone up and play like you'll never get there again! I just don't buy it... If he was indeed that seriously injured, I'll back off. But I've never read that it was a dire injury.

Tell me something. I remember sometime last year a post showing how "someone" said they thought Benson pulled himself out, and that he could have played through the pain, or whatever. Did you honestly think that prior to this piece of news circulating? I just recall TONS of talk after the SB, and while many called Benson a putz for the fumble and getting injured (again), I simply do not recall anyone saying he should have taken some cortizone and gotten back in there.

Further, while he NFL and college career have not seen even similar, I would point out that he played through tons of minor injuries in college. We debate his motivation and all that, but considering what he showed (regarding playing through injury in college) I simply have a hard time buying that he would not play through an injury, in the super bowl, if it was at all possible.

I was at the SD game, and I saw Benson miss about half a dozen blacks. If not more. It was like he was trying out to be a matador... How many RB's are good blockers? Not all that many I think. I don't think Benson is close in being considered good. Maybe closet to just average at best in the grand scheme. I think the thought process is if you are not good, you're bad. It's a generalization...

Last comment is key. I consider there to be a large area between good and bad. Further, let me ask you this about what you saw in the SD game. When you say he missed blocks, was it a situation where he simply picked up the wrong area/rusher, or was it him picking up the right man and simply getting beat. That is part of what my point is. I have seen Benson pick up LBs who had a head of steam, and flat out stand them up and knock them back. The issue, IMHO, is more an issue of getting more playing time and learning.

One further point. You point out the SD game, but as I recall, everyone looked bad. We SUCK blocking against 3-4 defenses, and our players look so confused it is sad. If you go off that game, everyone on our OL (including Kreutz) is a bad blocker.

...and I still want Derrick Johnson over Benson! We would have probably traded Briggs and rec'd something quite good.

We have discussed this, and I was 100% for drafting DJ. He was my #1 choice. But today, despite his becoming a damn good LB, I still say he would have been a wasted pick for us. He would have been tried at SLB, where I think he would have failed, and he would today be called a bust.

At first I thought he got benched. Then later realizes he was injured. After the "news", obviously, I looked back in hindsight. But seriously, if he was indeed very hurt, I have no issue. If there is substance to the "rumor", then he deserves to be called out....no different than LT I suppose this past season. Comparing college to pro isn't always a valid comparison. Many of us, including myself, thought he'd be at least a decent sturdy pro. I was wrong. I still wouldn't have picked him, but at the time I thought it was at least decent.

What I saw was missed blocks. Both what you said, missing the correct block, and just flat out letting guys get past him. When he does get a body on a D player, he usually succeeds. I just think he doesn't do that often enough. Granted, one would expect him to get better with experience. But I'm not speculating about 5 years from now. I mean, right now, he's not a good blocker. But it really is just semantics...

Yeah..the entire O looked bad that game., especially Grossman. The D looked super until Brown got KO'ed... Even if everyone looked bad that game, common sense dictate that we think Tait and Kreutz are good. I seriously doubt any "expert" would ever say Benson is a good blocker. We look the entire body of work. I use the SD game in particular as an example as I was there in person 4 rows from the 40 yeard line and saw everything. I saw a lot of similar from Benson all season long on TV.

I still like Johnson.... You won't convince me otherwise! :drink

Tell me something. I remember sometime last year a post showing how "someone" said they thought Benson pulled himself out, and that he could have played through the pain, or whatever. Did you honestly think that prior to this piece of news circulating? I just recall TONS of talk after the SB, and while many called Benson a putz for the fumble and getting injured (again), I simply do not recall anyone saying he should have taken some cortizone and gotten back in there.

Further, while he NFL and college career have not seen even similar, I would point out that he played through tons of minor injuries in college. We debate his motivation and all that, but considering what he showed (regarding playing through injury in college) I simply have a hard time buying that he would not play through an injury, in the super bowl, if it was at all possible.

Last comment is key. I consider there to be a large area between good and bad. Further, let me ask you this about what you saw in the SD game. When you say he missed blocks, was it a situation where he simply picked up the wrong area/rusher, or was it him picking up the right man and simply getting beat. That is part of what my point is. I have seen Benson pick up LBs who had a head of steam, and flat out stand them up and knock them back. The issue, IMHO, is more an issue of getting more playing time and learning.

One further point. You point out the SD game, but as I recall, everyone looked bad. We SUCK blocking against 3-4 defenses, and our players look so confused it is sad. If you go off that game, everyone on our OL (including Kreutz) is a bad blocker.

We have discussed this, and I was 100% for drafting DJ. He was my #1 choice. But today, despite his becoming a damn good LB, I still say he would have been a wasted pick for us. He would have been tried at SLB, where I think he would have failed, and he would today be called a bust.

One. My issue w/ the Benson/SB is you seemed to form an opinion based off a rumor, which was not even a very wide spread one. And while it may not be a perfect source, I do think the college days can be factored. If a player missed a bunch of games due to minor injuries in college, and then a similar rumor surfaced, I think history may lead to a more logical negative conclusion. On the other hand, if the rumor goes against anything the player has ever shown in his career, I simply then question it.

I would say there is PLENTY to knock Benson for w/o using some rumor not even widely reported.

Two. W/ regard to blocking, like you said, it is semantics. I agree when you say he is not a good blocker. I simply find different from saying he is a bad blocker. I also would say this. Some players show absolutely no desire to block, while others may take time to develop into good blockers, but do show desire. I will get ripped for this, but I do believe he shows desire. Whether he shows that desire in Monday-Saturday practice, I do not know. But in terms of the game, I watch him go after the rusher. While some RBs, like AP, basically just dive at the feet of the rusher, Benson looks to take him on. That means something to me. IMHO, his weakness in this area is experience, which the staff has not helped by replacing him on most passing downs. If he can better develop the mental aspect, I think he could become a very good blocker.

Three. While not specific to Benson, as we have mentioned the SD game, I have to throw this out there. Our blocking against 3-4 defenses is pathetic. I swear it is like we have never seen the 3-4 and have no clue what to do. Kreutz really struggles against 3-4 defenses, as he has trouble taking on the big NTs. And the rest of our OL always seems to look lost. I am not just talking about this past year either. I really wonder how well our coaching staff prepares our team for 3-4 defenses.