Lovie calls out Benson

GakMan23

Point well made... It was a rumor, so I'll back off from that.

I still think the college thing is weak. Lot's of guys look good and play hard in college, only to be busts and injury ridden in the pros. It's anecdotal I feel.

I more than agree with you that there are plenty of other things to rag on Benson other than the rumor. Sorry for perpetuating that...

I really don't see the desire. When he plays, he goes through the motions I feel. Honestly speaking, if he were that horrid, he wouldn't be on the team. He obviously has some talent and skills...and some desire to play. Just not enough I feel.

No doubt...the 3-4 blocking is byond poor. Like you, I place a lot of blame on the coaches for that. Didn't PIT kill us with that a few years back as well?

One. My issue w/ the Benson/SB is you seemed to form an opinion based off a rumor, which was not even a very wide spread one. And while it may not be a perfect source, I do think the college days can be factored. If a player missed a bunch of games due to minor injuries in college, and then a similar rumor surfaced, I think history may lead to a more logical negative conclusion. On the other hand, if the rumor goes against anything the player has ever shown in his career, I simply then question it.

I would say there is PLENTY to knock Benson for w/o using some rumor not even widely reported.

Two. W/ regard to blocking, like you said, it is semantics. I agree when you say he is not a good blocker. I simply find different from saying he is a bad blocker. I also would say this. Some players show absolutely no desire to block, while others may take time to develop into good blockers, but do show desire. I will get ripped for this, but I do believe he shows desire. Whether he shows that desire in Monday-Saturday practice, I do not know. But in terms of the game, I watch him go after the rusher. While some RBs, like AP, basically just dive at the feet of the rusher, Benson looks to take him on. That means something to me. IMHO, his weakness in this area is experience, which the staff has not helped by replacing him on most passing downs. If he can better develop the mental aspect, I think he could become a very good blocker.

Three. While not specific to Benson, as we have mentioned the SD game, I have to throw this out there. Our blocking against 3-4 defenses is pathetic. I swear it is like we have never seen the 3-4 and have no clue what to do. Kreutz really struggles against 3-4 defenses, as he has trouble taking on the big NTs. And the rest of our OL always seems to look lost. I am not just talking about this past year either. I really wonder how well our coaching staff prepares our team for 3-4 defenses.

I was about to argue the college point, but what's the point. Dropping that whole issue.

W/ regard to Benson, I believe I see the desire in the games, but no outside it. In interviews, he comes off as a guy who thinks the MVP award is his right. In the offseason, there has been more than ample reason to question his motivation. The way the staff at times talks, maybe even during the week in practice. But on game day, I do not think his desire is as questionable. In the games, I have seen him on the sideline jumping up and down like a cheerleader when another player does well. I have seen him be the first to run over and congradulate a player for a score. I have seen it in his running as well, but it often goes unrealized as all fans care about is the result. When he is hit 3 yards behind the LOS, and fights his way back to the LOS, it hits the stat sheet as a zero gain, but in reality, his desire minimized a far worse potential.

Regarding the 3-4. This past year, SD killed us, and Dallas used the 3-4 to hurt us as well. We had no clue what to do about Ware. It isn't simply that 3-4 defenses play well against us. It is our OL and backs seem clueless who to block, which to me has to be coaching.

I'm LOL thinking about any RB trying to pick up a blitz behind our Oline last year. Let's see I have 1 second to figure out who will get beat first: Fred Miller on the right side, he's always getting beat to the outside? Tait with his bad ankle on the left side? Or Tait's backup St. Clair? Or will it come up the middle where Ruben can only block with his left arm? Or are they gonna run right around his backup Metcalf, or will Metcalf just fall over before he even lays a hand on the guy?

I saw Ced miss some pickups but I saw AP miss many more, of course AP got more 3rd down time than Ced. By the middle of the season I didn't see where AP was better as a blocker. He was probably better at catching the ball in the flat. In a one-on-one situation AP just doesn't hold his ground very well against any rusher. Ced can at least stop a guy cold.

I was shocked last year at the blocking of AP. I do not know why, but I guess I thought he was supposed to be a good blocker. Not even close.

AP more often seemed to pickup the right man, but it didn't matter. He played and blocked small. I recall watching him basically dive at a LBs ankles to no effect, as the LB hurdled him and knocked down Rex. I remember another time when he tried to block high on a DB. A DB! And was flat thrown to the side. Granted, the DB has a head of steam, but still. AP may run w/ authority, but damn he sucked blocking.

Benson was the opposite. When he locked onto a man, he blocked him very well. The question was more about his picking up assignments. I remember one play where the QB (can't remember now if it was Rex or Griese) was blown up. A blitz came at the QB between Brown and Tait and had a clear path to the QB. I remember everyone in the bar screaming to the Gods about how Benson blew it. Until the replay that is. Replay showed another blitzer coming from the opposite end, off Miller's shoulder. Both blitzer attacked at the same time. Benson moved over and picked one guy up (taking him out of the play) while the other had a clear path.

Benson was ripped for this play, but is he supposed to block both guys? Maybe he was supposed to block the other guy, I don't know. But what I do know is, Benson was ripped for the play, and it is very questionable whether he was truly at fault.

There was another play where, similar look, after the snap, Benson moves immediately to his right. No one there. The blitz came, again, between Tait and Brown. QB sack. Benson basically did nothing on the play as he seemed to be looking for someone to block. So the question is, was he following an assignment, or did he blow his assignment. Knowing his lack of blocking experience, the obvious assumption is he screwed the pooch, but I would just throw out there the possibility he was doing as the play was designed, and it is up to Kreutz or Rex to make the adjustment pre-snap after seeing the D line up.

I was shocked last year at the blocking of AP. I do not know why, but I guess I thought he was supposed to be a good blocker. Not even close.

AP more often seemed to pickup the right man, but it didn't matter. He played and blocked small. I recall watching him basically dive at a LBs ankles to no effect, as the LB hurdled him and knocked down Rex. I remember another time when he tried to block high on a DB. A DB! And was flat thrown to the side. Granted, the DB has a head of steam, but still. AP may run w/ authority, but damn he sucked blocking.

Benson was the opposite. When he locked onto a man, he blocked him very well. The question was more about his picking up assignments. I remember one play where the QB (can't remember now if it was Rex or Griese) was blown up. A blitz came at the QB between Brown and Tait and had a clear path to the QB. I remember everyone in the bar screaming to the Gods about how Benson blew it. Until the replay that is. Replay showed another blitzer coming from the opposite end, off Miller's shoulder. Both blitzer attacked at the same time. Benson moved over and picked one guy up (taking him out of the play) while the other had a clear path.

Benson was ripped for this play, but is he supposed to block both guys? Maybe he was supposed to block the other guy, I don't know. But what I do know is, Benson was ripped for the play, and it is very questionable whether he was truly at fault.

There was another play where, similar look, after the snap, Benson moves immediately to his right. No one there. The blitz came, again, between Tait and Brown. QB sack. Benson basically did nothing on the play as he seemed to be looking for someone to block. So the question is, was he following an assignment, or did he blow his assignment. Knowing his lack of blocking experience, the obvious assumption is he screwed the pooch, but I would just throw out there the possibility he was doing as the play was designed, and it is up to Kreutz or Rex to make the adjustment pre-snap after seeing the D line up.

I agree with that and will go with more. The whole O-Line did poorly with blitzes and stunts last year. Even when the two d tackles did a twist stunt most of the time Kruetz and the guard would take the same guy instead of switching and a guy would come free. Also if there was a blitzer most of the time he came free. To me that means the line communication was bad due to coaching or whatever. If the line can't make the correct blocking calls and do the correct assignments I dont know how you expect the RB's do well.

The way I look at it is Benson has become the new Rex. People will hate him even when their points are refuted by facts and even video evidence.

Two seasons ago Grossman had an above average year, threw for a ton of yardage, had more TD's than picks, had two good playoff games before having a bad Super Bowl. But he got us there. And played well during the year. At worst you could say he was inconsistant. But alot of Bears fan will not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Same thing for Ced. Two seasons ago, he averaged the same YPC as the "better" back. Everyone was calling for him to get more carries. Etc. Now he is the guy people blindly hate. The only credible knock on Benson that I see is that he is injury prone. The rest of the crap like he has no speed, can't break tackles, he should have gotten a shot and went back into the SB (what is this Varsity Blues?), doesn't work out, etc, is BS. Stuff that is made up to make themselves feel better because someone has to be blamed.

Again, I'm waiting for the O-Line to be called out.

I suppose many of us, including myself, are being overly harsh on Benson. He has shown signs during games as you mention. I do think it's like a lot of things. I hate mowing the lawn...and will do just about anything to avoid it. But once I'm out mowing it, I do a darn good job. I kind of see Benson like that. He really doesn't feel football until he's actually playing. Maybe not the greatest analogy...but it's Friday.

I forgot about Dallas. I agree...it's coaching. I really wonder what the team would be like if Grimm got the gig over Smith?

I was about to argue the college point, but what's the point. Dropping that whole issue.

W/ regard to Benson, I believe I see the desire in the games, but no outside it. In interviews, he comes off as a guy who thinks the MVP award is his right. In the offseason, there has been more than ample reason to question his motivation. The way the staff at times talks, maybe even during the week in practice. But on game day, I do not think his desire is as questionable. In the games, I have seen him on the sideline jumping up and down like a cheerleader when another player does well. I have seen him be the first to run over and congradulate a player for a score. I have seen it in his running as well, but it often goes unrealized as all fans care about is the result. When he is hit 3 yards behind the LOS, and fights his way back to the LOS, it hits the stat sheet as a zero gain, but in reality, his desire minimized a far worse potential.

Regarding the 3-4. This past year, SD killed us, and Dallas used the 3-4 to hurt us as well. We had no clue what to do about Ware. It isn't simply that 3-4 defenses play well against us. It is our OL and backs seem clueless who to block, which to me has to be coaching.

I think many people have called out the OL....

I recall Miller getting blasted constantly last year.

Feel free to pine for Rex and Cedric all you want. Besides their spotty performances, their health issues are concerning. When that much starts stacking up agasint guys, it's time to move on I feel.

I'll chow down on a plate of crow, but I do not think they are in the Bears' future after this season...if they even make it through the season.

I agree with that and will go with more. The whole O-Line did poorly with blitzes and stunts last year. Even when the two d tackles did a twist stunt most of the time Kruetz and the guard would take the same guy instead of switching and a guy would come free. Also if there was a blitzer most of the time he came free. To me that means the line communication was bad due to coaching or whatever. If the line can't make the correct blocking calls and do the correct assignments I dont know how you expect the RB's do well.

The way I look at it is Benson has become the new Rex. People will hate him even when their points are refuted by facts and even video evidence.

Two seasons ago Grossman had an above average year, threw for a ton of yardage, had more TD's than picks, had two good playoff games before having a bad Super Bowl. But he got us there. And played well during the year. At worst you could say he was inconsistant. But alot of Bears fan will not give him the benefit of the doubt.

Same thing for Ced. Two seasons ago, he averaged the same YPC as the "better" back. Everyone was calling for him to get more carries. Etc. Now he is the guy people blindly hate. The only credible knock on Benson that I see is that he is injury prone. The rest of the crap like he has no speed, can't break tackles, he should have gotten a shot and went back into the SB (what is this Varsity Blues?), doesn't work out, etc, is BS. Stuff that is made up to make themselves feel better because someone has to be blamed.

Again, I'm waiting for the O-Line to be called out.

Fans have called out the OL, but how much has the staff. Sure, we hear the staff talk about OL as a need, but w/ two starters gone, that is pretty obvious. I have not heard a single coach say one critical words about Tait, Kreutz or Garza, and all three deserve to be called out.

I agree w/ your final point. I think this is Rex and Benson's final seasons. It can be argued that a solid or better season by either should extend their time, but IMHO, neither are set up for success this year.

Honestly, I think this is a developmental year for our offense. I think Lovie/Angelo hope to be competitive w/ defense and special teams (2001) buying time for young players on offense to develop. So I just think the odds of Rex or Benson having a good/great season are remote. RB needs and OL and QB needs protection and weapons. We have provided our RB little to run behind, and our QB little to work with.

So I think Benson and Rex are gone after this year. What will be interesting to see is how they fare w/ another team.

I couldn't agree more! The coaching staff really leaves so much to be desired...and on really both sides of the ball. The only group that gets a pass is ST.

Yeah, your point on them being set up for failure is spot on. Regardless with what we do with the line (draft, FA,etc...) it won't really be phenomenal. It kjind of goes full circle I suppose. And a no-good OL, means that Rex and Cedric will have to make more happen on their own, which I don't think they can. If anything, Rex has shown that he does poorly when asked to do more.

I agree with you comments on this being a developmental year on O.

I have a feeling Benson can contribute somewhere unless injury plagues him more. I really think Rex is done. Someone will take him as a back-up, but I just don't see him thriving in the NFL.

Fans have called out the OL, but how much has the staff. Sure, we hear the staff talk about OL as a need, but w/ two starters gone, that is pretty obvious. I have not heard a single coach say one critical words about Tait, Kreutz or Garza, and all three deserve to be called out.

I agree w/ your final point. I think this is Rex and Benson's final seasons. It can be argued that a solid or better season by either should extend their time, but IMHO, neither are set up for success this year.

Honestly, I think this is a developmental year for our offense. I think Lovie/Angelo hope to be competitive w/ defense and special teams (2001) buying time for young players on offense to develop. So I just think the odds of Rex or Benson having a good/great season are remote. RB needs and OL and QB needs protection and weapons. We have provided our RB little to run behind, and our QB little to work with.

So I think Benson and Rex are gone after this year. What will be interesting to see is how they fare w/ another team.

I suppose many of us, including myself, are being overly harsh on Benson. He has shown signs during games as you mention. I do think it's like a lot of things. I hate mowing the lawn...and will do just about anything to avoid it. But once I'm out mowing it, I do a darn good job. I kind of see Benson like that. He really doesn't feel football until he's actually playing. Maybe not the greatest analogy...but it's Friday.

Actually, I like the mowing analogy. Damn I don't want to do it. Has to be done on weekends, and I can think of 100 things I would rather do on weekends (golf being #1), but once I get out there, I end up staying out there all day working on every aspect of the lawn and often moving on to other projects, and having a ton of pride in my work. Maybe the analogy isn't perfect, but I'll say I understand your meaning.

W/ all this said, and even if we agree on this being true w/ Benson, I'll say it is something that damn well better change. I remember David Terrell used to take it easy all week, but said he ramped it up game day. That always disgusted me. I don't care for hearing about proven veterans that slack off in practice, much less an young player w/ EVERYTHING to prove.

Benson has a LOT to do and show. I am very suspect as to how our OL will be next year, so I doubt we will see him prove himself, but stats aside, I would at least like to see more attitude and heart outside of games. I think he needs to show up to camp in the best shape of his life and run w/ abandon, in practice and on game day.

I forgot about Dallas. I agree...it's coaching. I really wonder what the team would be like if Grimm got the gig over Smith?

I really liked Grimm. I did not like Lovie then, and like him less now. I would have loved to get not just an offensive minded coach, but a blue collar old in-the-trenches guy.

I mentioned this in another post, but I think this year for Benson may depend on (a) health and (B) attitude/heart as much as w/ his actual stats. If he shows up to camp in great shape and puts up the sort of effort one would expect from a player w/ so much to prove, then maybe his career in Chicago will not be over.

Rex I think is simply gone. As for how he would do elsewhere, I think Rex could be good if he goes to a team w/ a good coach, the right system, and w/ solid weapons at his disposal, not to mention good protection. Hell, I think he could be a pro bowler in the right situation (in the NFC). I look at Eli Manning. He was considered VERY inconsistent, but they changed up the offense and he had an OL and some weapons that stepped up for him. Now few question Eli as they did before.

I just do not see that here. I do not think we have the coaching to help Rex, nor the offense for him to work w/. Not now, and down the road.

I hear ya...

Regarding Grimm, I completely agree! I liked that he always had a top running game in place in PIT...and great OL play. I thought Lovie relied too much on turnovers. I think we're seeing that play out before our eyes... I really wanted to give Lovie a chance, and I still will. But he should be on watch for his job too.

Actually, I like the mowing analogy. Damn I don't want to do it. Has to be done on weekends, and I can think of 100 things I would rather do on weekends (golf being #1), but once I get out there, I end up staying out there all day working on every aspect of the lawn and often moving on to other projects, and having a ton of pride in my work. Maybe the analogy isn't perfect, but I'll say I understand your meaning.

W/ all this said, and even if we agree on this being true w/ Benson, I'll say it is something that damn well better change. I remember David Terrell used to take it easy all week, but said he ramped it up game day. That always disgusted me. I don't care for hearing about proven veterans that slack off in practice, much less an young player w/ EVERYTHING to prove.

Benson has a LOT to do and show. I am very suspect as to how our OL will be next year, so I doubt we will see him prove himself, but stats aside, I would at least like to see more attitude and heart outside of games. I think he needs to show up to camp in the best shape of his life and run w/ abandon, in practice and on game day.

I really liked Grimm. I did not like Lovie then, and like him less now. I would have loved to get not just an offensive minded coach, but a blue collar old in-the-trenches guy.

Agreed on this too...

If Lovie does tank it and is replaced, I really would like to see an offensive minded HC come in. Granted, assuming how Singletary would play out, I'd be OK with that for obvious reasons... But I'd really like to see someone withan offensive mind-set in here. It's just been lacking in this town for decades...

I mentioned this in another post, but I think this year for Benson may depend on (a) health and (B) attitude/heart as much as w/ his actual stats. If he shows up to camp in great shape and puts up the sort of effort one would expect from a player w/ so much to prove, then maybe his career in Chicago will not be over.

Rex I think is simply gone. As for how he would do elsewhere, I think Rex could be good if he goes to a team w/ a good coach, the right system, and w/ solid weapons at his disposal, not to mention good protection. Hell, I think he could be a pro bowler in the right situation (in the NFC). I look at Eli Manning. He was considered VERY inconsistent, but they changed up the offense and he had an OL and some weapons that stepped up for him. Now few question Eli as they did before.

I just do not see that here. I do not think we have the coaching to help Rex, nor the offense for him to work w/. Not now, and down the road.

Agreed on this too...

If Lovie does tank it and is replaced, I really would like to see an offensive minded HC come in. Granted, assuming how Singletary would play out, I'd be OK with that for obvious reasons... But I'd really like to see someone withan offensive mind-set in here. It's just been lacking in this town for decades...

You guys really crack me up. Lovie took this team to the SB 1 yr ago and his job is on the line. I am glad neither of you own this team. We would be changing coaching staffs every other yr. ;)

BTW - What has Singletary done in SF to earn a head coaching position?

Peace :bears

Can I at least play a small Devil's advocate role...are you sure it was Lovie, and not Ron Rivera that did so?

He sure has Mr. Willis playing like a beast... But, c'mon! I'ts Samurai Mike! Free pass! :drink

You guys really crack me up. Lovie took this team to the SB 1 yr ago and his job is on the line. I am glad neither of you own this team. We would be changing coaching staffs every other yr. ;)

BTW - What has Singletary done in SF to earn a head coaching position?

Hey, Jauron led the team to 13 wins. I guess he was a great coach, right?

Yes, I realize we went to the SB, and Lovie was the HC, but even then, I felt the team won more in spite of coaching than due to it.

Here in Dallas, the Cowgirls won a SB under Barry Switzer, and wanna guess how much respect or credit he gets?

Our team was absolutely loaded on defense and special teams, and those two units carries us to the SB. To me, respect for a coach is largely seen when players over-achieve. That is often a sign of good coaching. How many player, or how often, have you felt we were playing better than we should? Even in the SB year, I often felt our defense was held back. Also, as was also pointed out, Rivera ran that defense. Once Lovie ran Rivera out of town, what happened to our D?

When we were looking at Lovie originally, I was not thrilled. His defenses in Stl were simply not that good. They produces a high number of turnovers. Angelo's scheme was part of that, but so was having an offense that allowed the D to take chances and to force teams to be more aggressive than they wanted to be, as they were playing from behind. But his defenses were never great v the run, and were average at best in regard to scoring.

As good as our defense was in that SB run, I always felt it could have been better. I always felt they were held back, and believe Lovie was the reason for that.

And how about the offense. Just like Angelo gets blame for his one sided success in the draft, should Lovie not take heat for his one dimensional teams?

Maybe I am too hard on him. Maybe I just never gave him a chance. But at the end of the day, I look at his coaching, and simply am not impressed.

Should we be scared that we're in complete agreement on this!? :cheers

Yes, I realize we went to the SB, and Lovie was the HC, but even then, I felt the team won more in spite of coaching than due to it.

Here in Dallas, the Cowgirls won a SB under Barry Switzer, and wanna guess how much respect or credit he gets?

Our team was absolutely loaded on defense and special teams, and those two units carries us to the SB. To me, respect for a coach is largely seen when players over-achieve. That is often a sign of good coaching. How many player, or how often, have you felt we were playing better than we should? Even in the SB year, I often felt our defense was held back. Also, as was also pointed out, Rivera ran that defense. Once Lovie ran Rivera out of town, what happened to our D?

When we were looking at Lovie originally, I was not thrilled. His defenses in Stl were simply not that good. They produces a high number of turnovers. Angelo's scheme was part of that, but so was having an offense that allowed the D to take chances and to force teams to be more aggressive than they wanted to be, as they were playing from behind. But his defenses were never great v the run, and were average at best in regard to scoring.

As good as our defense was in that SB run, I always felt it could have been better. I always felt they were held back, and believe Lovie was the reason for that.

And how about the offense. Just like Angelo gets blame for his one sided success in the draft, should Lovie not take heat for his one dimensional teams?

Maybe I am too hard on him. Maybe I just never gave him a chance. But at the end of the day, I look at his coaching, and simply am not impressed.

I wasn't talking about Jauron and, no, he wasn't a great coach. He had 1 winning season. He lost hist only playoff game. In 4 yrs, Lovie has given us 2 winning seasons and a Superbowl trip. Further, his record against our primary rival, the Packers, is 6-2. The only thing Lovie hasn't done that he said he would is to win the Superbowl.

I never said Lovie was a great coach. I agree he could do a better job and I think that he will. I simply prefer to not spend my time disecting and criticizing everything he does.

It's a slow time for news... Therefore some topics that normally wouldn't be on the radar, are.

I wasn't talking about Jauron and, no, he wasn't a great coach. He had 1 winning season. He lost hist only playoff game. In 4 yrs, Lovie has given us 2 winning seasons and a Superbowl trip. Further, his record against our primary rival, the Packers, is 6-2. The only thing Lovie hasn't done that he said he would is to win the Superbowl.

I never said Lovie was a great coach. I agree he could do a better job and I think that he will. I simply prefer to not spend my time disecting and criticizing everything he does.

It's a slow time for news... Therefore some topics that normally wouldn't be on the radar, are.

Understood. I can't wait until next week. The NCAA tournament will be over and talk with turn to the draft (mixed in with baseball of course).

There's only 1 thing I don't like about lovie, and that is he doesn't have the Head Coaching balls many others have. He waits too long to make changes, and in the long run that kills us. Carolina in the playoffs a few years ago. The qb position whether it's with rex, orton, or greise, or orton, hutchinson, and remember quinn? I mean c'mon you see the guys in practice does it take the first 4 games to realize if he's "THE MAN". Many of us realized moose was in the decline, and should have been riding the pine much of last year in favor of bradley or hester. Now look at the mess we're in! Lovie needs to react faster at the little things with this team, cause he seems to always be too little to late when a change is made. ARCHULETTA is a prime example. He's on the decline and should have been cut, but lovie won't see that until arch screws up royally. In other words Lovie just needs to take a drink of coffee and wake the F up, because we do have a talented team on the d and s/t's but it won't stay like that long enough for him to see his errors.

I don't normally spend my time criticizing everything he does, "but you started it". That has to be imagined as said in a young kids high pitched voice.

I have issues w/ Angelo. I have issues w/ Lovie and many of our staff. I comment here and there, but save the big rip job/posts for responses. Also for the offseason.

I don't normally spend my time criticizing everything he does, "but you started it". That has to be imagined as said in a young kids high pitched voice.

I have issues w/ Angelo. I have issues w/ Lovie and many of our staff. I comment here and there, but save the big rip job/posts for responses. Also for the offseason.

Hey, I got to be able to give you shit now and then. ;)