Urlacher to skip workout

nfoligno

Unhappy Urlacher to skip Bears' 1st voluntary workout

By Vaughn McClure

Tribune reporter

April 6, 2008, 11:42 PM CDT

For the second year in a row, the Bears will be without a Pro Bowl linebacker for the start of their voluntary off-season program, in part because of an unresolved contract situation.

Brian Urlacher told the Tribune on Sunday he plans to skip the first day of workouts, slated to begin Monday, and left open the strong possibility that he will bypass the Bears' entire voluntary off-season program, which includes organized team activities (OTAs).

The face of the Bears franchise informed the team of his intentions to remain in Arizona rather than attend the program at Halas Hall.

Urlacher cannot be fined for missing voluntary activities, according to the NFL Players Association collective-bargaining agreement. But the team could take internal action that stops short of formal discipline. For example, when running back Thomas Jones and Lance Briggs skipped the voluntary off-season portion of workouts in 2006, coach Lovie Smith briefly demoted the starters upon their return.

For reasons unrelated to his contract, Urlacher avoided some off-season workouts last season. He didn't want to comment publicly on his decision for this season.

It was fellow linebacker Briggs who missed voluntary workouts last season over a contract dispute and now it's Urlacher's turn—albeit in a much quieter way.

Urlacher wants a contract extension but has been relatively low-key about it, leaving the negotiating to his representatives, who have been in constant discussions with the Bears for the last six weeks.

Urlacher, who is signed through 2011, made $3.95 million last season—the same salary he is scheduled to make in 2008. Since last season ended, the Bears have rewarded tight end Desmond Clark and Alex Brown with multiyear extensions, and even gave quarterback Kyle Orton a one-year extension.

Urlacher said his recovery from neck surgery has nothing to do with his status for Monday. He has been cleared to participate and anticipates making a full recovery when he returns to the field.

Urlacher is not the only Pro Bowl-caliber player around the NFL to decide to skip the beginning of voluntary workouts because of a contract issue. Albert Haynesworth, the Titans' defensive tackle, made the same decision after Tennessee designated him to wear their franchise tag. Vikings center Matt Birk also is sitting out.

Bengals wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh also protested by skipping workouts.

The Bears are likely to be without receiver Rashied Davis, who hasn't signed a one-year offer from the team.

When it was talked about that Urlacher may be looking for a new deal (when it was believed Lance would hit paydirt), I argued against those who basically called out Urlacher. This ticks me off though. For me, it was one thing when it was behind the scenes, and he wasn't making it an issue. Telling a reporter he is going to skip workouts is another thing. And I do not even want to hear about how they are voluntary. Urlacher is obviously using them to make a statement, and thus this is an issue.

He is not coming off his best season. He struggled last year w/ a back problem, which has been called chronic, and puts his future situation into question. We finally resolved the Briggs situation, and now must deal w/ this. We are coming off an awful season, and when we as fans really want to see the team commit themselves to winning, the last thing I want to see are players committing themselves to pushing the team for more money.

Personally, I understand why Urlacher wants a new deal. I don't know if the deal he signed is even legal these days (for a new deal) w/ the newer CBA. Regardless, I do not have a problem w/ his talking to the team about a new deal. I do have a problem w/ his talking to the media (the same media he basically boycotted all year) and skipping OTAs to make a statement.

I love Urlacher...but I don't get the impression he's a rocket scientist. Hillenmeyer's actually close to that...

I think he's just doing the typical, I want my money or screw you guys, I'm going home "Cartman tantrum". I don't really have a problem with it. And maybe because it's done so often these days. I'd actually love to see Lance stick up for him like he did for Lance...

But really in a nutshell, this will be ironed out. Urlacher's the face of the team.... What we fans want rarely matches what the team or players want to do...and unfortunaltey that includes winning sometimes.

When it was talked about that Urlacher may be looking for a new deal (when it was believed Lance would hit paydirt), I argued against those who basically called out Urlacher. This ticks me off though. For me, it was one thing when it was behind the scenes, and he wasn't making it an issue. Telling a reporter he is going to skip workouts is another thing. And I do not even want to hear about how they are voluntary. Urlacher is obviously using them to make a statement, and thus this is an issue.

He is not coming off his best season. He struggled last year w/ a back problem, which has been called chronic, and puts his future situation into question. We finally resolved the Briggs situation, and now must deal w/ this. We are coming off an awful season, and when we as fans really want to see the team commit themselves to winning, the last thing I want to see are players committing themselves to pushing the team for more money.

Personally, I understand why Urlacher wants a new deal. I don't know if the deal he signed is even legal these days (for a new deal) w/ the newer CBA. Regardless, I do not have a problem w/ his talking to the team about a new deal. I do have a problem w/ his talking to the media (the same media he basically boycotted all year) and skipping OTAs to make a statement.

We really shouldn't even care anymore. So many athletes do this its become almost cliche. It isn't hurting the team now and by the time it could I bet they have a new deal for him. Like you NGO, I think in Football the player has every right to sit out and demand more money if they are outperforming the contract. When you look at the body of Urlachers work under the contract I think he has outperformed. Further , the Bears have Urlacher as the face of the franchise, they expect him to live up to that. Some personal female issues aside he has arguably lived up to their expectations. He has been a good player, a good teammate and a good employee(him routinely offering to renegotiate his contract early on to help keep players comes to mind) In return I believe this entitles Urlacher to special treatment, i.e early contract renegotiations.

Hold the phone. You say, like me, you agree Urlacher should be able to holdout. That is not what I said. I said I have no issue w/ his looking for a new deal, but also said I was fine w/ it while he kept it behind the scenes. I do not agree w/ players taking their gripes to the media (the same media by the way Urlacher boycotted this past season) or holding out.

Like any job in life, there is no rule against going to your boss and asking for a raise. However, making it a public issue is a problem for me.

I think he's just doing the typical, I want my money or screw you guys, I'm going home "Cartman tantrum". I don't really have a problem with it. And maybe because it's done so often these days. I'd actually love to see Lance stick up for him like he did for Lance...

Didn't you just the other day agree Benson is selfish becasue he held (rookie deal)?

Yea, I know Benson was a rookie and Urlacher the face of the team. At the same time, the argument against Benson never talked about his status, only that he should put the team before his bank account and get to work. Now, as it is about Urlacher, you are okay w/ it?

I did. And this is a selfish move by Urlacher as well...but he's proven his mettle. Whereas Benson hasn't in the least.

It stems down to what someone has proven... If you can back-up your talk (or hold out), then you have a leg to stand on. If you can't, then you have nothing to stand on.

Am I thrilled? Not in the least. Am I worred, no. Am I OK with it. Yeah...so far. I think calmer heads will prevail when the time comes. To me, it's apples and oranges.

It's not a good comparison.

Didn't you just the other day agree Benson is selfish becasue he held (rookie deal)?

Yea, I know Benson was a rookie and Urlacher the face of the team. At the same time, the argument against Benson never talked about his status, only that he should put the team before his bank account and get to work. Now, as it is about Urlacher, you are okay w/ it?

I undertand your media point... I also full well realize the reality of how this league (and all other pro leagues for that matter) works. I don't really like it, but there's not much that can be done about it.

I honestly try to seperate the business side from the field side. Right now, until he actually misses practice, I don't care in the least. The moment he misses a practice, I am now annoyed. Then from annoyance, it will grow...

Hold the phone. You say, like me, you agree Urlacher should be able to holdout. That is not what I said. I said I have no issue w/ his looking for a new deal, but also said I was fine w/ it while he kept it behind the scenes. I do not agree w/ players taking their gripes to the media (the same media by the way Urlacher boycotted this past season) or holding out.

Like any job in life, there is no rule against going to your boss and asking for a raise. However, making it a public issue is a problem for me.

We really shouldn't even care anymore. So many athletes do this its become almost cliche. It isn't hurting the team now and by the time it could I bet they have a new deal for him. Like you NGO, I think in Football the player has every right to sit out and demand more money if they are outperforming the contract. When you look at the body of Urlachers work under the contract I think he has outperformed. Further , the Bears have Urlacher as the face of the franchise, they expect him to live up to that. Some personal female issues aside he has arguably lived up to their expectations. He has been a good player, a good teammate and a good employee(him routinely offering to renegotiate his contract early on to help keep players comes to mind) In return I believe this entitles Urlacher to special treatment, i.e early contract renegotiations.

I don't care if he outperformed his contract (which I'm not sure he has anyway), he signed his deal and should have to stick to it. If a player underperforms, do they give back their signing bonus? Muhammad isn't going to give any money back, why should we give more money to Urlacher? Like Nfo, I have no problem with him asking for a raise. I don't even have a problem with him missing voluntary OTA's for whatever reason he chooses. Talking to the media and possible holding out from practice or real games I DO have a problem with.

This is why I had no problem with Benson "holding out" BEFORE he signed his deal. These players need to sign deals they intend to abide by. IMO they can do whatever they reasonably can to get the best deal possible. Once it's signed however, it really bothers me to see them trying to take the team hostage with their antics.

Urlacher's the face of the team

If I were the Bears, I'd see that now was the time to start changing the "face" of the franchise. Urlacher is getting old and has not played his best lately and we need to find a player to pass the "face" torch to. I think that player may be Hester. He is arguably the most exciting player in the game right now and I think it would be a smooth transition to phase him in while phasing Urlacher out until we find our next super star.

Looking towards the futureI would have no problem with the Bears letting Urlacher play out his contract and then letting him go. Obviously alot of things can happen the next couple of years and we may need to resign him if we are close to a trophy but all things being the same, I don't wanna pay a large amount of money to a player who is at the later stage of his career and who might still be good, but overrated.

I understand why you believe it is apples and oranges. My point is, if we are going to bash a player for being selfish, I think it should be accross the board.

You say Urlacher is proven, and Benson was not. No argument. On the other hand, Benson was negotiating his first deal, where as Urlacher has actually signed a deal and is looking for the team to tear it up.

So it isn't the same, but my point was simply that if we rip a player for being selfish, then it should be applied to all.

This is a slam dunk. Pay him. He deserves more money than anybody on the team. The fact that he has rode out this contract this long is incredible considering how much salaries have went up the past few years. Its not like he doesnt deserve a better contract. We didnt spend dick this offseason so we might as well reward Urlacher with a new contract. He hasnt been bashing the team in the media or anything.

This media issue is retarded too. who went to the media first?? Everyone is assuming it was Urlacher. I remember hearing about this months ago and it sounded as though sources from within the Bears were bringing this into the media spotlight. Assume like I do that Bears org went to media first when Urlacher tried to do theis "behind closed doors", later Trib reporter asks Urlacehr if he is going to OTA since he already knows Urlacher trying to get a knew deal. Who is really putting this in the media.

From Tribune:

Urlacher wants a contract extension but has been relatively low-key about it, leaving the negotiating to his representatives, who have been in constant discussions with the Bears for the last six weeks.

Based on that It doesn't exactly sound like Urlacher is bringing his dirty laundry to the media. When Urlacher doesn't talk to Chicago media he is being selfish jerk, when he does he is being a selfish jerk. No win for this guy.

Has Urlacher been quoted by any source saying he was not attending the workouts because of his contract negotiations? I thought I read he refused to discuss the reasons for his not participating.

Has it been quoted anywhere that he has addressed the team about his contract negotiations? I know he is negotiating a contract, he has friends on the team, I am sure some ask him how the negotiations are going, but that is not addressing the team with the issue.

Has he gone public bitching and threatening a holdout. No.

Aren't we jumping the gun and assuming because it is so commonplace for a player to hold himself out of workouts when they are in contract negotiations that this must be the reason for Urlacher as well?

My guess, just coming off of neck surgery and having an arthritis issue with his lower back he felt the smart thing would do would be sit out workouts which quite frankly will not hurt his ability to play this year. It may help to get him to the first game of the year in Indianapolis in better condition to kick a**.

Some veterans who are invaluable to the team should not, IMHO, should not be subject to any unnecessary risks.

I disagree. Selfishness was one of many on a laundry list on why Benson's a bum... It' wasn't the only thing. I'm happy to rib Urlacher over this, but it also is far more justifyable. Benson had no leg to stand on, whereas Urlacher's been the pinnacle of MLB's in this league for a multitude of years. Yeah, it's selfish, but capitalism is built on selfishness at least to some degree.

It you'd like to stat a pure selfishness thread, we can do that. And just about everyone on the team can had a line item. But the thread on Benson was an overall one why he was a bum, and this one is a concern over Urlacher bringing his laundry out into the press.

I love Urlacher. Unless he refuses to play for the Bears, I'm going to cut him slack for everything he's done for this team. I dislike Benson, and I won't cut him any slack until I see proof that he is not a bum. That's really the bottom line...at least for me.

I understand why you believe it is apples and oranges. My point is, if we are going to bash a player for being selfish, I think it should be accross the board.

You say Urlacher is proven, and Benson was not. No argument. On the other hand, Benson was negotiating his first deal, where as Urlacher has actually signed a deal and is looking for the team to tear it up.

So it isn't the same, but my point was simply that if we rip a player for being selfish, then it should be applied to all.

Good points...

I really don't want that to happen. Urlacher is still better than Hester...at least right now. I want Urlacher a Bear for life. He's meant so much for this team and city. For years we had nothing...but in recent history, at least we've had Brian. I see it like Jordan in a way. He was severly undepaid all his career in Chicago... He finally got some loot his last season. Urlacher's somewhat the same.

I will never buy that Irlacher is over-rated. What is is rating? Is he Butkus? No. Is he Singletary, no? No. He's Urlacher...and he's freakin' damn good.

If I were the Bears, I'd see that now was the time to start changing the "face" of the franchise. Urlacher is getting old and has not played his best lately and we need to find a player to pass the "face" torch to. I think that player may be Hester. He is arguably the most exciting player in the game right now and I think it would be a smooth transition to phase him in while phasing Urlacher out until we find our next super star.

Looking towards the futureI would have no problem with the Bears letting Urlacher play out his contract and then letting him go. Obviously alot of things can happen the next couple of years and we may need to resign him if we are close to a trophy but all things being the same, I don't wanna pay a large amount of money to a player who is at the later stage of his career and who might still be good, but overrated.

Great points!

This media issue is retarded too. who went to the media first?? Everyone is assuming it was Urlacher. I remember hearing about this months ago and it sounded as though sources from within the Bears were bringing this into the media spotlight. Assume like I do that Bears org went to media first when Urlacher tried to do theis "behind closed doors", later Trib reporter asks Urlacehr if he is going to OTA since he already knows Urlacher trying to get a knew deal. Who is really putting this in the media.

From Tribune:

Based on that It doesn't exactly sound like Urlacher is bringing his dirty laundry to the media. When Urlacher doesn't talk to Chicago media he is being selfish jerk, when he does he is being a selfish jerk. No win for this guy.

Maimi, I do hear you. In normal life that's what happens. But we all must realize this isn't real life.

You will be bothered by this indefinitley, because it will never change.

I don't care if he outperformed his contract (which I'm not sure he has anyway), he signed his deal and should have to stick to it. If a player underperforms, do they give back their signing bonus? Muhammad isn't going to give any money back, why should we give more money to Urlacher? Like Nfo, I have no problem with him asking for a raise. I don't even have a problem with him missing voluntary OTA's for whatever reason he chooses. Talking to the media and possible holding out from practice or real games I DO have a problem with.

This is why I had no problem with Benson "holding out" BEFORE he signed his deal. These players need to sign deals they intend to abide by. IMO they can do whatever they reasonably can to get the best deal possible. Once it's signed however, it really bothers me to see them trying to take the team hostage with their antics.

Maybe a little premature? Maybe crucify him for missing games if he does but he hasnt yet.

Talking to the media and possible holding out from practice or real games I DO have a problem with.

Exactly. Keep this crap behind the scenes. He has 4 friggin yrs left on his contract. He needs to understand he will get very limited sympathy from the fans.

Peace :dabears

Good points...

I really don't want that to happen. Urlacher is still better than Hester...at least right now. I want Urlacher a Bear for life. He's meant so much for this team and city. For years we had nothing...but in recent history, at least we've had Brian. I see it like Jordan in a way. He was severly undepaid all his career in Chicago... He finally got some loot his last season. Urlacher's somewhat the same.

I will never buy that Irlacher is over-rated. What is is rating? Is he Butkus? No. Is he Singletary, no? No. He's Urlacher...and he's freakin' damn good.

He's is a very good player who is most likely a hall of famer but is no where near the player Jordan was. Jordan never, ever complained about the money. He never held out. He was always the first guy at practice and the last guy to leave. If Url is sitting out in protest of his contract, then there is absolutely no comparison.

BTW - Jordan got huge contracts the last 2 yrs in the league (I believe 35+ million each yr).

Agreed, he is no Jordan... There will never be another. Heck, just his off-court hi-jinx are far below Jordan's...

But the point I was trying to make is the guy is a HoF calibur guy that's been playing lights out since the day he came here... Jordan never needed to complain about what he got paid on the court, because what he got off it FAR exceeded it.

I only referenced Jordn in terms that both guys are in the upper echelon of their respective sports, both were paid below market value, and both will probalby be paid market value when they retire.

This to me is just posturing by Urlacher...and I'm not happy about it. But nor am I worried.

He's is a very good player who is most likely a hall of famer but is no where near the player Jordan was. Jordan never, ever complained about the money. He never held out. He was always the first guy at practice and the last guy to leave. If Url is sitting out in protest of his contract, then there is absolutely no comparison.

BTW - Jordan got huge contracts the last 2 yrs in the league (I believe 35+ million each yr).

Maybe a little premature? Maybe crucify him for missing games if he does but he hasnt yet.

I'm not upset now. I was imagining the scenario in which I would be upset. I'm a wait and see type of guy. Sorry, meant to make that clearer.

I'm not upset now. I was imagining the scenario in which I would be upset. I'm a wait and see type of guy. Sorry, meant to make that clearer.

Im with you there. If he sits out for games or even mandatory practices I would be pissed. I just dont think he will. I am however, hoping they give him his contract because I think he deserves it more than anyone on the team. I also think he has a lot left in his tank.

Url has made alot of money of the field as well (obviously not as much as Jordan because Michael was an international star). Between that and his salary he has more money than his great grandchildren's children will ever need. He was not underpaid at the time he signed his contract. I personally think this whole thing is ridiculous.