What if QB Matt Ryan falls to 14??

butkusrules

The problems with the Bears is OFFENSE -- OL, WR, and RB! QB is not as an immediate need as most people think. The Bears have shown the ability to win with both these guys at QB. The BIG problem is that there is no protection or enough playmakers for either to get the ball too!

I would also prefer to take a LT or Brandon Alberts inan RD 1 if avaiable d then a RB, WR, OG, QB in rounds 2-5 respectfully. But I can see the Bears bungling this senario though.

I would only take Brohm or Flacco in RD 2 if available but all other QBs not until rounds 4-7 and would have no problem with Colt, Dixon, Johnson on the second day.

I agree with this scenario. We really need to address o-line.

I would love to see:

Rnd 1 - Brandon Alberts

Rnd 2 - Matt Forte

Rnd 3 - Chilo Rachal

Rnd 3 - Jerome Simpson

Peace :dabears

I agree with this scenario. We really need to address o-line.

I would love to see:

Rnd 1 - Brandon Alberts

Rnd 2 - Matt Forte

Rnd 3 - Chilo Rachal

Rnd 3 - Jerome Simpson

Peace :dabears

I would be very pleased if this is how the draft went for the Bears mainly because all these players have good value when selected and infuse talent where the team needs it most!

I have no problem going for him.

We need to draft at that position, and he is the top proespect at QB. I think it could well be a potential bargain.

I would take him over Mendenhall. We need a franchise QB more than any pro football team on this green earth... Ryan could be it.

QB's have fallen in the past, what if he drops down to us? Do you want angelo to take him? Is he a franchise QB? I have this vision of ryan available and angelo having another david terrel moment, not really being prepared for the scenario.

I hate to see it, but we're not that good anyway...

We have holes at virtually every spot on offense except TE. I think we could compete next year with Ryan on the bench satching Rex and taking notes on what NOT to do.

I still want to see OL taken within the next 2 rounds to solidify that spot.

But I really think this is a rebuilding year for us. I'm not sure the coaches think that. I do not trade Urlacher, he's under contract for too many years at a decent price at this point. If he plays chicken with the team, we can wait it out. He will have to retire then if he won't play for us. Tommie, I could see possibly trading, but I personally would still do what I can to keep him. He's pretty young.

IMO, the problem with a Matt Ryan pick is it's basically an admission that you're not competing for the next 2 years. Most QB's take somewhere between 1-2 years even to start to reach the level it takes to play in the NFL, or more. The Bears would be grabbing BPA, yes, but would be basically admitting that they won't be competitive for Urlacher's last couple good years or for Harris/Vasher/Tillman's prime years, etc.

If the team doesn't upgrade the O-Line and a few other positions, then it's basically time to trade off Urlacher and Harris and focus on rebuilding. That's what drafting a QB at 14 means to me...that it's a rebuilding time.

Regarding this being a rebuilding year, I have said this before, but will throw it out there again.

IMHO, what we are trying to do is rebuild on offense, while maintaining our defense and special teams in order to be competitive. A couple years ago (when Orton was starting) we were great on defense and special teams, while our offense was awful, and we made the playoffs. I think that is sort of what we are looking at doing this year. I think Angelo believes we have a special teams and defense good enough to keep us in games and keep our team competitive. Offense on the other hand needs a near over-haul, and that is not going to be done over-night.

So we start working on the building of the offense, now, while the other units keep the team competitve. The hope (theirs) is our offense steps up quick enough that our D and STs are still great. This is where I am not sure I buy into the plan. For this plan to work, I think we would need to see a significantly improved offense by 2009, and a good one by 2010. I would love that, but have little confidence in our seeing it happen. We need so much on offense, and Angelo's history drafting offense is such that I simply have little faith.

Oh, I completely agree!

I don't balk at the plan. Seems good to me. I just question who Angelo has assembled to see the plan through. Lovie gained a lot fo good will his first few years, and lost a bit last season. This season is a bit of a make or break from him to me. Not that I think he'll be fired for a bad season, but that he will officially be on watch the following season. I presonally would pull the plug on a bad season...but like yourself, I even question his ability with the D.

In a nitshell, I too have to see it to believe it. History is working agasint us.

Regarding this being a rebuilding year, I have said this before, but will throw it out there again.

IMHO, what we are trying to do is rebuild on offense, while maintaining our defense and special teams in order to be competitive. A couple years ago (when Orton was starting) we were great on defense and special teams, while our offense was awful, and we made the playoffs. I think that is sort of what we are looking at doing this year. I think Angelo believes we have a special teams and defense good enough to keep us in games and keep our team competitive. Offense on the other hand needs a near over-haul, and that is not going to be done over-night.

So we start working on the building of the offense, now, while the other units keep the team competitve. The hope (theirs) is our offense steps up quick enough that our D and STs are still great. This is where I am not sure I buy into the plan. For this plan to work, I think we would need to see a significantly improved offense by 2009, and a good one by 2010. I would love that, but have little confidence in our seeing it happen. We need so much on offense, and Angelo's history drafting offense is such that I simply have little faith.