What if QB Matt Ryan falls to 14??

butkusrules

QB's have fallen in the past, what if he drops down to us? Do you want angelo to take him? Is he a franchise QB? I have this vision of ryan available and angelo having another david terrel moment, not really being prepared for the scenario.

If he falls I still think we need to go OL. I don't think ANY QB's in this draft are worth top 20 picks myself. I think we should wait until rd 3 or 4 to go QB because I just don't see any of them being worth more than that this year.

I think they take him, and I think it's actually a pretty foreseeable scenario. The interesting aspect would be if the Dolphins were interested in moving up to get him at 14. The cost is about equal based on most value charts if the trade was #14 (1100) for #32 (590), #57 (330) & #64 (270). You would be out of the running for the top OTs,though Baker or Cherilus might be there at #32, and the top RBs (unless Stewart or Jones somehow falls), but the Bears would end up with 3 2nd round picks and 3 3rd round picks, which they could probably use to move back up into the 1st to get Stewart or Jones or whoever might be falling. It would be tempting.

I could not fault the Bears for considering Ryan if he fell to us, I would however prefer not to risk a first round draft selection on a QB if possible, instead, a trade down or a selection of a top OLT would be my preference at 14.

I can see the possibility of it happening, and wouldn't fault JA for making the pick. Everyone would give him a virtual BJ in the media for pulling the trigger on the "number 1 QB in the draft".

HOWEVER, I would prefer he waits. There are several QBs who have serious potential (Johnson, Dixon, Brennan) and can be selected later. Personally, I'd love to see any of the three selected with the second third round draft pick or later.

The guy I see falling out of the top 10 and possibly all the way to us at #14 is McFadden. He's had a lot of hype early in all the predraft hype but his stock is falling somewhat and he has character issues. Other players at other positions are moving up (i.e. Albert). If the Raiders don't pick him at #4 who in the top 10 does?

The guy I see falling out of the top 10 and possibly all the way to us at #14 is McFadden. He's had a lot of hype early in all the predraft hype but his stock is falling somewhat and he has character issues. Other players at other positions are moving up (i.e. Albert). If the Raiders don't pick him at #4 who in the top 10 does?

The Jets are a possibility. Other than them I could see Baltimore if Ryan is gone going for him.

I understand those who still want a top tier O-Lineman which we definitely need. I still feel very strongly that if Matt Ryan some how dropped down to us at 14, that it is a no brainer and he is definitely a huge upgrade at the #1 position on the team. I really do not think he will make it that far. Additionally I just read my current SI and they have an interesting article on Dixon that is telling me that we may be able to get him later in the draft which may turn out to be a huge blessing in disguise at this point and time. Speculation is that Dixon to a degree is better that Vince Young, just not as explosive in the run and may be another option if Ryan is gone.

IMO, the problem with a Matt Ryan pick is it's basically an admission that you're not competing for the next 2 years. Most QB's take somewhere between 1-2 years even to start to reach the level it takes to play in the NFL, or more. The Bears would be grabbing BPA, yes, but would be basically admitting that they won't be competitive for Urlacher's last couple good years or for Harris/Vasher/Tillman's prime years, etc.

If the team doesn't upgrade the O-Line and a few other positions, then it's basically time to trade off Urlacher and Harris and focus on rebuilding. That's what drafting a QB at 14 means to me...that it's a rebuilding time.

IMO, the problem with a Matt Ryan pick is it's basically an admission that you're not competing for the next 2 years. Most QB's take somewhere between 1-2 years even to start to reach the level it takes to play in the NFL, or more. The Bears would be grabbing BPA, yes, but would be basically admitting that they won't be competitive for Urlacher's last couple good years or for Harris/Vasher/Tillman's prime years, etc.

Balta,

I don't think it necessarily means you are rebuilding immediately. It depends on the team. The Bears have serious question marks at QB as well as other positions. If Ryan is sitting there at 14 and all the top OL and RBs are off the board, then Ryan would have to be considered. Otherwise, look for a team wanting Ryan and trade down.

Balta,

I don't think it necessarily means you are rebuilding immediately. It depends on the team. The Bears have serious question marks at QB as well as other positions. If Ryan is sitting there at 14 and all the top OL and RBs are off the board, then Ryan would have to be considered. Otherwise, look for a team wanting Ryan and trade down.

I would rather look for some sucker to trade up if possible than draft Ryan at 14. IMHO there is no QB worth the 14th pick this year, especially with all of the other pressing needs we have. If there is no other option for OL or RB ad no trade down offers...that would just suck.

I would rather look for some sucker to trade up if possible than draft Ryan at 14. IMHO there is no QB worth the 14th pick this year, especially with all of the other pressing needs we have. If there is no other option for OL or RB ad no trade down offers...that would just suck.

I also would like to see a trade down in that situation however, sometimes you just can't find a trading partner.

I think if anyone is there that teams would trade up to get, it would be Ryan or Mendenhall.

QB's have fallen in the past, what if he drops down to us? Do you want angelo to take him? Is he a franchise QB? I have this vision of ryan available and angelo having another david terrel moment, not really being prepared for the scenario.

If he fell I would be shocked if the Bears didn't take him. I personally wouldn't want to take him but the Bears just like most teams in the league absolutely love the intangibles and would be getting a tremendous value pick (as I'm sure he's rated over most of the other players that would be available at 14 on the Bears board).

That said there is absolutely no way that he gets past Baltimore.

I just total access on NFL network and they said that flacco is rising and at the moment he is the #1 QB on 6-7 team boards. This sucks cause I saw us taking him in the 2nd round. Pobably not an option anymore.

Who would of thought we would ever see a Delaware Blue Hen QB rated #1 in the draft? I also would have liked to have seen him in a Bears Uniform but as you said it is a bit unlikely now.

Who would of thought we would ever see a Delaware Blue Hen QB rated #1 in the draft? I also would have liked to have seen him in a Bears Uniform but as you said it is a bit unlikely now.

Im curious how accurate this is. There are so many smoke screens this time of year you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt. I dont think Flacco will get rafted with 15 picks of Ryan.

The problems with the Bears is OFFENSE -- OL, WR, and RB! QB is not as an immediate need as most people think. The Bears have shown the ability to win with both these guys at QB. The BIG problem is that there is no protection or enough playmakers for either to get the ball too!

I would also prefer to take a LT or Brandon Alberts inan RD 1 if avaiable d then a RB, WR, OG, QB in rounds 2-5 respectfully. But I can see the Bears bungling this senario though.

I would only take Brohm or Flacco in RD 2 if available but all other QBs not until rounds 4-7 and would have no problem with Colt, Dixon, Johnson on the second day.

The problems with the Bears is OFFENSE -- OL, WR, and RB! QB is not as an immediate need as most people think. The Bears have shown the ability to win with both these guys at QB. The BIG problem is that there is no protection or enough playmakers for either to get the ball too!

I would also prefer to take a LT or Brandon Alberts inan RD 1 if avaiable d then a RB, WR, OG, QB in rounds 2-5 respectfully. But I can see the Bears bungling this senario though.

I would only take Brohm or Flacco in RD 2 if available but all other QBs not until rounds 4-7 and would have no problem with Colt, Dixon, Johnson on the second day.

I agree about round 1. In fact, especially from the Bears prospective I would bet they have qb as third from the end of list of needs behind TE and C. They easily can use 2 OT, 2OG, WR and RB before they need a qb.

I reserve that for the Rick Mirer trade...

Absolutely the worst use of a draft pick ever. Had to be one of the worst drafts ever. Bob, the Beast, Sapp was drafted in the 3rd round and didn't even make it out of training camp. The only player who had an impact was Marcus Robinson and that wasn't until the 3rd or 4th yr.

What a joke.

Peace :dabears