Marcus Monk

CubbiesFan07

Pre-Draft:

"Bottom line: Monk is one of the biggest wide receiver prospects in the 2008 senior class, he moves well for his size and he's just fast enough to stretch the field. In fact, he projected to go as early as the third round at the start of the season but injuries hindered him all year and he didn't show the same knack for making big plays when he was on the field. At this point, Monk projects as a sixth or seventh round pick."

7th round pick, steal for sure. Is the hype going to show in the NFL though?

Discuss.

Red shirt for 2008.

I believe there are questions whether he is 100% yet or not. There are also questions about his route running, and commitment. I can see us putting him on IR, giving his knees a solid year to not only heal, but strengthen, while he works on the holes in his game.

Red shirt for 2008.

I believe there are questions whether he is 100% yet or not. There are also questions about his route running, and commitment. I can see us putting him on IR, giving his knees a solid year to not only heal, but strengthen, while he works on the holes in his game.

Probably a really good idea. He would also be able to adapt to the NFL and get to know the playbook.

So what the WR looking like atm?

1st String - Marty Booker

2nd String - Earl Bennett

3rd String - Mark Bradley

4th String - Rashied Davis

5th String - Devin Hester

Option - Marcus Monk

? Is this what it looks like at the moment? I personally would like to see Rashied get involved more this season, his speed is that of Berrian's maybe he could take his place this season? Idk, thoughts?

So what the WR looking like atm?

1st String - Marty Booker

2nd String - Earl Bennett

3rd String - Mark Bradley

4th String - Rashied Davis

5th String - Devin Hester

Option - Marcus Monk

? Is this what it looks like at the moment? I personally would like to see Rashied get involved more this season, his speed is that of Berrian's maybe he could take his place this season? Idk, thoughts?

Right now, it probably goes:

1.) Booker

2.) Hester

3.) Bennett

4.) Bradley

5.) Davis

6.) Lloyd/Monk/Hass/Rideau/Hamilton

If Monk doesn't beat out all of Lloyd (Lloyd has basically no chance to make the team because of his refusal to play ST), Rideau, Hass, and any UDFA's brought it, then Monk will likely get the redshirt IR treatment... I think he has a good shot at making the team actually.

It will be a shame and a waste if Bradley is healthy this year, and doesn't get to see more playing time because the coaches gave up on him and end up giving his time away to other WRs. I swear that dude could be a star if he could stay healthy.

I don't see that. No way do I see Hester as a starter.

Starting the year, I think it will be Booker and Lloyd. I know how much many want Bennett to start, or Bradley, or Hester, but I just think that is unlikely. The lack of experience is simply too much to get past. Lloyd is an experienced WR who was pretty damn solid w/ SF before going to Wash. I am not saying he will be great for us, but I think he starts game one.

I do think the the final depth will differ from the starting.

To start the year.

1) Booker

2) Lloyd

3) Bradley

4) Bennett

5) Hester

6) Davis

Hass is on the PS and Monk is on the IR. I know Hester at #5 will not be popular, but I think we will use him a lot more, but he will have a more specific set of plays. He will be more than a gimick player, but not an every down WR. Bennett starts low, but fear not, he will rise.

Near the end of the season.

1) Booker

2) Bradley (if he isn't hurt yet again)

3) Bennett (I would like to start him, but not sure how well pairing him w/ Booker would work.

4) Lloyd

5) Hester (Still low, but when it comes to the Hester, depth chart really does not matter)

6) Davis

1 Marty Booker

2 Mark Bradley / Devin Hester (in on the plays he knows)

3 slot Earl Bennett / Rashied Davis

4 Monk backup to Booker if he shows enough in camp otherwise I agree he gets a redshirt year.

With the glut of receivers, IR is just about the ideal solution. If he made the team as a 6th receiver, he'd probably be inactive most weeks, anyway. Booker, Bennett, Hester, and Davis are locks. I can't really imagine the Bears dropping Bradley, as he's the best deep threat with Berrian gone. Hass and Lloyd are on the bubble, but that's a full group already. IR seems almost inevitable.

With the glut of receivers, IR is just about the ideal solution. If he made the team as a 6th receiver, he'd probably be inactive most weeks, anyway. Booker, Bennett, Hester, and Davis are locks. I can't really imagine the Bears dropping Bradley, as he's the best deep threat with Berrian gone. Hass and Lloyd are on the bubble, but that's a full group already. IR seems almost inevitable.

Hass should be available for the practice squad I believe as he has not been on an NFL roster for enough starts to prevent the move. I am not sure how much Lloyd is on the bubble. Yes, his contract guarantees nothing, but at the same time, I believe the lack of experience we have at WR heading into 2008 not only puts him on the roster, but fairly high on the depth chart.

If we jump Lloyd, do you realize how lacking in experience we are at WR? Yes, we have Booker, but w/o Lloyd, the rest of the WRs had a combined 23 catches last year. If we are trying to provide weapons for the QB, I question the logic of giving your QB a bunch of young WRs who need to develop and are unlikely to bring a consistent game to benefit the QB, and offense.

Think Booker will be the 2001/2002 Booker we used to see? I personally wasn't a fan when we traded him for Ogunleye, but over the past years I've been extremely satisfied.

But is he a #1 WR still? Or is he getting old and washed up?

And BTW - I think Lloyd would make a great impact, totally forgot about him. The jumps that guy has is insane. He needs to be more consistent though

Regarding Booker, I think we see the 2001 model more than the 2002 or 2003. I am not talking pure stats, but how he was used.

In 2001, we started Booker and Dez White, and I think we will have similar this year. Booker was not able to work deeper routes, and had to focus on shorter routes to quickly give the QB a target. Thus, he had 100 catches, but only 1070 yards for a 10.7 ypc avg. Reliable WR, but not a big impact weapon.

In 2002, we began trying to get booker deeper. He wasn't a homerun hitter, obviously, but instead of 10-15 yard routes, he was running more 15-25 yard routes. That year, his yardage went over 1,200 and his ypc rose by 2.

Point is, stats aside, I think Booker will be that underneath route WR who could well rack up a very high number of catches, but w/ a lower total yards and ypc.

Hass should be available for the practice squad I believe as he has not been on an NFL roster for enough starts to prevent the move. I am not sure how much Lloyd is on the bubble. Yes, his contract guarantees nothing, but at the same time, I believe the lack of experience we have at WR heading into 2008 not only puts him on the roster, but fairly high on the depth chart.

If we jump Lloyd, do you realize how lacking in experience we are at WR? Yes, we have Booker, but w/o Lloyd, the rest of the WRs had a combined 23 catches last year. If we are trying to provide weapons for the QB, I question the logic of giving your QB a bunch of young WRs who need to develop and are unlikely to bring a consistent game to benefit the QB, and offense.

Well, okay. Lloyd had 2. He was competing with guys like James Thrash, and came awfully close to catching absolutely no passes. Todd Yoder kicked his ass in receptions. I liked watching him with the 49ers, but he was on an offense that was comically bad (ours is a juggernaut, in comparison), and since then he's been one of the biggest busts and worst wide receivers in the NFL. That's not to mention that he wasn't exactly a great clubhouse guy. If he impresses in camp and makes the team, fine, but I'm not going to lose sleep if we cut someone who's been a complete joke for two seasons. I don't care one bit about his experience -- his experience is not exactly the kind I want on this team.

One, I am not going to lose sleep if we cut him either. That would likely mean he was a joke and deserved it, or others stepped up.

Two, while he has been nothing the last two years, I still question how much is simply him and how much is Wash. If he went to Indy and sucked, that would be one thing, but Wash is simply one of those teams that too often players go into oblivion.

I think he was a great pickup. Worst case, he is gone and we lose nothing. But I think there is considerable upside to him at the same time.

I would love to simply take an optimistic stance when it comes to our other Wrs, but at I am sorry, I simply have a hard time expecting too much from them, at least to start the year. My hope is players like Bennett and Bradley can develop into good Wrs, but I just do not see it happening too soon in the season.

I don't see that. No way do I see Hester as a starter.

Starting the year, I think it will be Booker and Lloyd. I know how much many want Bennett to start, or Bradley, or Hester, but I just think that is unlikely. The lack of experience is simply too much to get past. Lloyd is an experienced WR who was pretty damn solid w/ SF before going to Wash. I am not saying he will be great for us, but I think he starts game one.

I do think the the final depth will differ from the starting.

To start the year.

1) Booker

2) Lloyd

3) Bradley

4) Bennett

5) Hester

6) Davis

Hass is on the PS and Monk is on the IR. I know Hester at #5 will not be popular, but I think we will use him a lot more, but he will have a more specific set of plays. He will be more than a gimick player, but not an every down WR. Bennett starts low, but fear not, he will rise.

Near the end of the season.

1) Booker

2) Bradley (if he isn't hurt yet again)

3) Bennett (I would like to start him, but not sure how well pairing him w/ Booker would work.

4) Lloyd

5) Hester (Still low, but when it comes to the Hester, depth chart really does not matter)

6) Davis

Lloyd as the number 2?

Lloyd as the number 2?

Lloyd's not even going to make the team I bet. His overall crappy play to go along with his refusal to play special teams does not bode well for him to make the team.