Arch gone

Connorbear

I have to agree that this isn't so much about knowing that Steltz is going to be a starter, as it is about other concerns.

First and foremost, its about roster slots. They KNOW Arch isn't going to be the guy. That much is certain. They do the math, and they realize that they would have to cut someone they want to keep in order to have Arch around as some kind of insurance policy. The thing is, Arch isn't worth much if you do need him, so they pretty much know he isn't going to be on the squad. Therefore, they know they will release him, even if Steltz proves not ready to step up this year, they aren't going to cut any of these guys to keep Arch.

The second thing then, is when to cut him. His contract isn't very rich, there's no real cap concern about keeping him until June, and as it has been said before, Angelo has a history of being fair with players, which is decent, and helps us in the free agency market.

Lastly, Arch may not find another team. If he doesn't catch on somewhere, or if he is out of the league next year or something, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lovie want him as a position coach. He's a smart player, who understands the scheme. His body just won't get there.

Is there any type of cap considerations with him being released? How much of a cap hit will he be for 2008? Would that number have increased or decreased after June 1st?

If there was no change, then I assume that they had no reason to keep him.

Is there any type of cap considerations with him being released? How much of a cap hit will he be for 2008? Would that number have increased or decreased after June 1st?

If there was no change, then I assume that they had no reason to keep him.

Either the Trib or Sun Times mentioned that he was given a roster bonus last yr - not a signing bonus. This means the cost was absorbed last yr. We save whatever his salary was for this yr by cutting him.

Peace :dabears

I have to agree that this isn't so much about knowing that Steltz is going to be a starter, as it is about other concerns.

First and foremost, its about roster slots. They KNOW Arch isn't going to be the guy. That much is certain. They do the math, and they realize that they would have to cut someone they want to keep in order to have Arch around as some kind of insurance policy. The thing is, Arch isn't worth much if you do need him, so they pretty much know he isn't going to be on the squad. Therefore, they know they will release him, even if Steltz proves not ready to step up this year, they aren't going to cut any of these guys to keep Arch.

The second thing then, is when to cut him. His contract isn't very rich, there's no real cap concern about keeping him until June, and as it has been said before, Angelo has a history of being fair with players, which is decent, and helps us in the free agency market.

Lastly, Arch may not find another team. If he doesn't catch on somewhere, or if he is out of the league next year or something, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lovie want him as a position coach. He's a smart player, who understands the scheme. His body just won't get there.

It seems to me like we weren't sure if we'd be able to land a safety we like in the draft, so we held onto Arch. Once we drafted Steltz, and once we had Steltz in for a workout to make sure he could play, that left us with 5 ok safeties.

It seems to me like we weren't sure if we'd be able to land a safety we like in the draft, so we held onto Arch. Once we drafted Steltz, and once we had Steltz in for a workout to make sure he could play, that left us with 5 ok safeties.

Exactly. You and I seem to see the all Bears' moves the same way.