Is it me or what?

GrizzlyBear

But since the old messageboard closed, has some its members gone little bad with language here? I have read more garbage with cussing in it since the change. Is there any way to put word filters on this format? I know VBulletin has it as well as PHPBB. I admined plenty in my day. It just seems of stellar posters from the old board have gone south in thier language. I just thought I would bring it up here, being this where all the old posters from bearstalk come.

But since the old messageboard closed, has some its members gone little bad with language here? I have read more garbage with cussing in it since the change. Is there any way to put word filters on this format? I know VBulletin has it as well as PHPBB. I admined plenty in my day. It just seems of stellar posters from the old board have gone south in thier language. I just thought I would bring it up here, being this where all the old posters from bearstalk come.

You're complaining over cussing? It hasn't been that bad like you make it sound.

You're complaining over cussing? It hasn't been that bad like you make it sound.

Oh really? you make light of it, but as the PIxote knows, many Kids come to board like this get opinions, they may not post or even register, but they read, and for adults for the most part to act like that is not saying much to them. And at the old board you never seen any of that.

Oh really? you make light of it, but as the PIxote knows, many Kids come to board like this get opinions, they may not post or even register, but they read, and for adults for the most part to act like that is not saying much to them. And at the old board you never seen any of that.

I agree. Unsure if there is anything we can do about it. I think we may need to all govern ourselves.

Peace :dabears

Connorbear,

We have Badword Filters, so we can easily filter "cuss" words if thats what the board members want. For example, I just added one for the "f" word that sounds like duck. If you type it in like I do below, it will chance to whatever word we want:

flub

So in this case the f word now becomes flub. Just an example of what we can do.

Grizz....I think you're right. I have just been policing myself as I don't want to curb free speech from others. But I've noticed more profanity run through than in the past.

I don't know if a filter is really the solution, but maybe an announcement or somethng at the top to keep it clean. Believe you me, I let 'em fly with my freinds, but in a social forum where there could be kids,etc...I try to crub my vulgarities. It's not nearly as difficult in wirting as it is in speaking!

Connorbear,

We have Badword Filters, so we can easily filter "cuss" words if thats what the board members want. For example, I just added one for the "f" word that sounds like duck. If you type it in like I do below, it will chance to whatever word we want:

flub

So in this case the f word now becomes flub. Just an example of what we can do.

Thanks. My preference would be for the members of this board to sensor themselves realizing we may have younger readers at times. We may need to take a vote on this.

I agree...self-policing should be the first attempt. Maybe some mention aat the top of the board to check yourself...

Thanks. My preference would be for the members of this board to sensor themselves realizing we may have younger readers at times. We may need to take a vote on this.

I agree...self-policing should be the first attempt. Maybe some mention aat the top of the board to check yourself...

agree. there is no need for the hard core profanity on a board where you HOPE to get young kids or ladies attending and reading your site. it is to me what made our previous site better than a lot of the rest where it became a crude obscene contest with some posters.

seems like &%$%^ (mentally enter your own word here), works ok for me.

Over at Soxtalk, we have some fairly rigorous policing policies, including a lot of words on the swear filter and a very strong personal attack policy. I've tried to get some discussion going at times on at least getting a generous personal attack policy put in place, especially after in one thread recently someone put up a post that basically was nothing but a "You're a tool" post or something along those lines.

But honestly, I've been a little hesitant, and I'll tell you why. I tried a couple months back to enforce a normal procedure from Soxtalk, which is moving threads in to whichever forum they belonged in (i.e. having a separate NFL forum for NFL news) and that blew up quite rapidly and pissed off a fair number of people from the old site who weren't used to the multi-forum style. After that incident, I've been a little hesitant to do anything strong in terms of policing either language or attacks, because honestly, I don't know what the policies were like @ your guys' old board, and I don't want to drive solid posters away from the site for no reason.

Over at Soxtalk, we have some fairly rigorous policing policies, including a lot of words on the swear filter and a very strong personal attack policy. I've tried to get some discussion going at times on at least getting a generous personal attack policy put in place, especially after in one thread recently someone put up a post that basically was nothing but a "You're a tool" post or something along those lines.

But honestly, I've been a little hesitant, and I'll tell you why. I tried a couple months back to enforce a normal procedure from Soxtalk, which is moving threads in to whichever forum they belonged in (i.e. having a separate NFL forum for NFL news) and that blew up quite rapidly and pissed off a fair number of people from the old site who weren't used to the multi-forum style. After that incident, I've been a little hesitant to do anything strong in terms of policing either language or attacks, because honestly, I don't know what the policies were like @ your guys' old board, and I don't want to drive solid posters away from the site for no reason.

on the old board the moderators played it pretty close to the vest when it came to hard obceneties and it worked well, at least for me. either deleting the immediate disputed word/s and letting the person know where and why it was edited with a warning and at least listening to the offenders side of the story, if there was one, via email or whatever.

if some want a place for adults to vent in that manner then a page off of the main with an adults warning label on it is a possibility. that may be amicable to all.

the truth of the matter is that smaller children or young adults either do, or want to, read information on such an informed bear site as this one with the great variety of posters. that their father or mother or friends frequent this site makes it harder to say they shouldn't be able to read what is posted on here because of hard core adult language. in fact some younger people may be great CONTRIBUTORS if given the chance and add to our depth.

one other item on the other board/s i have frequented... absolutely no racial, ethnic origin, religious, or physical threatening attacks or justifications were tolerated. not saying that any of this has ever happened on here or will, it's good policy to put it boldly in the rules as unacceptable to any passing through flamers ect.

i would also while i am at it say thanks to you and all who have provided this space for all of us. i think you have done pretty well so far. congratulations.

on the old board the moderators played it pretty close to the vest when it came to hard obceneties and it worked well, at least for me. either deleting the immediate disputed word/s and letting the person know where and why it was edited with a warning and at least listening to the offenders side of the story, if there was one, via email or whatever.

if some want a place for adults to vent in that manner then a page off of the main with an adults warning label on it is a possibility. that may be amicable to all.

the truth of the matter is that smaller children or young adults either do, or want to, read information on such an informed bear site as this one with the great variety of posters. that their father or mother or friends frequent this site makes it harder to say they shouldn't be able to read what is posted on here because of hard core adult language. in fact some younger people may be great CONTRIBUTORS if given the chance and add to our depth.

one other item on the other board/s i have frequented... absolutely no racial, ethnic origin, religious, or physical threatening attacks or justifications were tolerated. not saying that any of this has ever happened on here or will, it's good policy to put it boldly in the rules as unacceptable to any passing through flamers ect.

i would also while i am at it say thanks to you and all who have provided this space for all of us. i think you have done pretty well so far. congratulations.

I'd hope that we could police ourselves. It would be nice to come here and not have to look at what I consider meaningless words that really do not support an arguement. I love the fact that I can remain connected over the thousands of miles that separate me from the Beloved. it is just a nusiance for me. And yes, thanks to those who work to keep this site alive and kicking!

I wish to thank all the ones that responded with well thought out answers, Its not that Iam just venting about foul words, its the envirement it creates. The old board had its discussions and arguements but most of the tiem it was kept in real civil text. Since here I noticed a change and the feeling just is not the same. All I was trying to do was let you all know there is and has been a definate shift in posts being rather raunchy. This type of envirement was what old trib board was and I didnt want this one going that way.

As for you all providing us a place to talk Bears, it is greatly Appreciated!!!!!! I just thought it would help better our board for the masses.

This is a Bears board, for young as well as older posters.

We can use the filters like Prophet suggested but you cant really blame the mods for not doing anything yet. There havent been any complaints and any other attempts at self policing so far have been met with such outrage like we are acting like FCC. So which way do you want it cleaned up or not? You can ask for people just not to swear but that wont happen.

I do disagree to an extent...

I think you can request people not to swear and get at least some results... Sure, some people will probably cross the line, but most, when asked, probably won't. Those that continually cross the line will, I'm sure, hear it from those folks that don't appreciate that.

We can use the filters like Prophet suggested but you cant really blame the mods for not doing anything yet. There havent been any complaints and any other attempts at self policing so far have been met with such outrage like we are acting like FCC. So which way do you want it cleaned up or not? You can ask for people just not to swear but that wont happen.

I do disagree to an extent...

I think you can request people not to swear and get at least some results... Sure, some people will probably cross the line, but most, when asked, probably won't. Those that continually cross the line will, I'm sure, hear it from those folks that don't appreciate that.

The people who would respond to the request arent the people that you need to worry about though. There are lots of circumstances why someone swears, happy for a win, mad for a loss, a players actions, an angry result to someone elses post. Sometimes people are just gonna swear so if you want it stopped, we can use the filters. If not, what are we supposed to do, suspend someone for saying F*** Ya in a Victory thread, I hope Nuke doesnt start any more victory threads for shis sake then.

I still think that a note in front stating that profanity/etc... is strongly discouraged and could result in the possibilty of editing posts and ultimately banishment from the site... I'm not a legal guy. SOmeone else could come up with better alnguage I'm sure.

I don't think anyone minds the occassional emotional outburst or comment...it's the hateful stuff that turns people off.

The people who would respond to the request arent the people that you need to worry about though. There are lots of circumstances why someone swears, happy for a win, mad for a loss, a players actions, an angry result to someone elses post. Sometimes people are just gonna swear so if you want it stopped, we can use the filters. If not, what are we supposed to do, suspend someone for saying F*** Ya in a Victory thread, I hope Nuke doesnt start any more victory threads for shis sake then.

So, here's my proposal. We turn on a swear filter for the f-bomb. It's easy enough to do that, and I think that's the one word most people would care the most about their 8 year old reading over their shoulder. Beyond that, self-police, but watch the personal attacks, because post after post of people insulting each other tends to really ruin a site and either keep people from posting opinions or simply drive people away from the site because they feel they're attacked constantly. Thought?

I'd presonally rather a warning sign be posted on the site.

I don't have kids, but would rather have them see the word "F" than hear some guy threatening kick someone's ass. I think it's not so much the exact languange as the intent behind it. I htink a self-policing statement could curb much of the issue.

That's just me. I think the filter is fine...I just would want it mentioned on the site that it is indeed happeneing, so that all posters are aware of what will be changed in their posts. That's why I think a statment of using common sense, etc... works. Becasue other posters will chime in and let that person know it's uncalled for. Thus alerting admins...and actions could be taken is problems persist.

I'm fully down with whatever everyone would like though.

Just my 2 cents worth...

So, here's my proposal. We turn on a swear filter for the f-bomb. It's easy enough to do that, and I think that's the one word most people would care the most about their 8 year old reading over their shoulder. Beyond that, self-police, but watch the personal attacks, because post after post of people insulting each other tends to really ruin a site and either keep people from posting opinions or simply drive people away from the site because they feel they're attacked constantly. Thought?

I'd presonally rather a warning sign be posted on the site.

I don't have kids, but would rather have them see the word "F" than hear some guy threatening kick someone's ass. I think it's not so much the exact languange as the intent behind it. I htink a self-policing statement could curb much of the issue.

That's just me. I think the filter is fine...I just would want it mentioned on the site that it is indeed happeneing, so that all posters are aware of what will be changed in their posts. That's why I think a statment of using common sense, etc... works. Becasue other posters will chime in and let that person know it's uncalled for. Thus alerting admins...and actions could be taken is problems persist.

I'm fully down with whatever everyone would like though.

Just my 2 cents worth...

I dunno, seeing someone threaten to kick someones ass over a message board would be pretty funny. I would like to share comedy of that nature with people of all ages.

OK, don't get me wrong, the humor isn't lost on me either...

But I think you miss the gyst of what I'm saying...name calling,etc in a heated disrespectful tone comes off worse than a few F bombs of exuberation. The issue isn't the F bomb istself...it's the context. At least for me... So banning the word doesn't really stop bad form. Nothing really does. But a warning at least puts people in the mode that it's not encouraged.

I dunno, seeing someone threaten to kick someones ass over a message board would be pretty funny. I would like to share comedy of that nature with people of all ages.

OK, don't get me wrong, the humor isn't lost on me either...

But I think you miss the gyst of what I'm saying...name calling,etc in a heated disrespectful tone comes off worse than a few F bombs of exuberation. The issue isn't the F bomb istself...it's the context. At least for me... So banning the word doesn't really stop bad form. Nothing really does. But a warning at least puts people in the mode that it's not encouraged.

No, I know what you mean, however it creates a gray area. The easiest way to solve it is with the filters. Otherwise who determines what is ok and what isnt? I dont think its a big problem but if anyone does I dont see how adding like 5 words to the filter does any harm. We can put up the message warning but we also cant force anyone to read it. Also, even if its not encouraged, which I would hope people knew without being told, it also doesnt do anything to prevent people from using them.

I do agree...it does create a gray area. But it's within that gray that poster here will help determine the needed action. If someone posts something off...another poster will comment, and usually an admin will either be alerted or will find out for him/her-self. Thus resulting in some kind of discussion as we've had in the past. Then after discussion action could be taken. Just a thought...

If we want to go filters, I'll abide. No problem. I'm just not sure that really helps all that much.

Bottom line, a warning sign should be up I think. Heck, people can booze up until they die...the warning is there. They can either choose to heed it or not. But, at least it is there, if anything, as a casual reminder.

You can never prevent everything...but I think trying to house an environment that encourages good, funny thought without the need for flaming,etc...the overall goal is achieved.

THis site is only as good as its posters, and I think everyone here here validates that and makes this a great place to go. Sometimes a few of us can go off in a bad direction every now and then...but maybe a casual reminder,etc can help curb that.

No, I know what you mean, however it creates a gray area. The easiest way to solve it is with the filters. Otherwise who determines what is ok and what isnt? I dont think its a big problem but if anyone does I dont see how adding like 5 words to the filter does any harm. We can put up the message warning but we also cant force anyone to read it. Also, even if its not encouraged, which I would hope people knew without being told, it also doesnt do anything to prevent people from using them.

I agree. Unsure if there is anything we can do about it. I think we may need to all govern ourselves.

There are filters which we can put in place, which will essentially auto-sensor curse words. Basically something like "flub" would turn into "f*ck" or we could have it set to say "freak". Haven't read through this whole thread to see what the consensus is, but I know personally I have no problem with it. I ocassionally will drop an Fbomb in the post, but its just out of frustration about a subject matter or something and I personally have no problem if it is auto-sensored.

Update: Read through the thread and I'm personally a fan of going with a policy of blocking out the F-word but just using this thread as a quick reminder to everyone to treat posters with respect and to try and be careful with the language. Over all the years I've posted within this community (ie Bearstalk), I can only think of a handful of times where there were ever any sort of relatively serious issues and I think that is a tribute to all of the members who have made this place so special. Still, every once in a while, it isn't bad to get a quick reminder out to just remember that we all need to stay civil and try to be mindful of what we type.