Points of View, May 18, 2008

tshanno

May 18th, 2008 Tom Shannon Posted in Points of View | No Comments » Edit |

The Bears

Lovie Smith answers more questions:

If Devin Hester played for another team, would you kick the ball to him?

Fabian C.

Gilroy, California

If I was a coach from the opposing team, yeah, I would kick to him. You can’t let one guy take you out of your game plan. I’d have a hard time going in and telling my team, “Hey, this guy is so good we’re not going to kick to him,” so yeah, I would. Of course, it’s easy for me to say that.

Translation: “Other coaches have no guts. They back away and let one man beat them like a bunch of women. Real men would kick to him. I’d do it.” [fingers crossed behind back]

Another good question with a disappointing non-answer:

What are the chances of the Bears carrying four running backs on their roster this season?

Brad G.

Iowa City, Iowa

There’s definitely that scenario. You have numbers and I know our number at running back has been three for most of the years that we’ve been here. But you find a way to keep all good players that you think can help you win. So to say that we wouldn’t keep four, I wouldn’t say that at all. There’s a chance we’ll do that. I’m going to say the same thing about every position. If there’s a player that we really like … there are numbers that you have to have to play, and then there are a couple wildcard positions that you can use, so we’ll be able to keep all the guys we need to.

Steve Silverman at NBCSports.com believes the Bears should trade Brian Urlacher:

Keep Urlacher around this year and he will wear out sometime around mid-November. Come next offseason, he will bring less than half of what the Bears would get in a trade right now. Move him and the Bears are one step closer to having the balance that could make them a contender in the NFC North division. Hold on to him and the team will suffer in both the short and long run.–http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24638064/

Looks like Caleb Hanie might have the early edge in the competition for that third QB slot.

Southern Illinois quarterback Nick Hill was one of 10 undrafted free agents at the Bears’ rookie minicamp, and he came in with impressive stats, but the other undrafted free-agent quarterback, Colorado State’s Caleb Hanie, threw the ball more accurately than Hill.–

Its not out of the question at this point that the bears would keep them both, putting one on the practice squad.

From Pro Football Weekly’s Whispers column:

Speculation is high at Halas Hall that the addition of Bears fifth-round CB Zackary Bowman, who made a nice impression in the team’s rookie minicamp with his size and athleticism, doesn’t bode well for veteran CB Ricky Manning Jr., whom many regular team observers expected to be shown the door by now, a la Adam Archuleta.

From the same column:

The early skinny on Bears undrafted rookie QBs Nick Hill and Caleb Hanie after the team’s rookie minicamp was that Hanie clearly had a stronger arm but that Hill appeared to be a better athlete.

The Chicago Tribune’s Dan Pompei, who teaches us more about football every time he writes something, examines first round pick Chris Williams arms. The first thing I learned? NFL people can’t use a tape measure:

Williams may or may not become a nightmare for NFL defensive ends, but he probably already is one for his tailor. One team measured Williams’ right arm at 331/2 inches and his left at 311/4 inches.

Jerry Angelo thinks you can over analyze these things. I agree. But its something to remember, anyway.

Elsewhere

Miami Dolphins CB Will Allen had something of a disagreement last week. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, WPLG-Channel 10 in Miami alleged that Allen borrowed money to pay gambling debts and pulled the gun when he was asked to repay those debts.

In my opinion there’s no better way to assure a long suspension than to be involved with gambling. I really wonder if the league wouldn’t consider the case in Philly where someone, possibly Marvin Harrison, actually shot people to be less serious.

Arlen Specter appeared on Boston’s WEEI radio station Friday. He said he’s not calling for a congressional investigation - yet. But he thinks the NFL owes it to itself to do a more thorough investigation:

The hosts of WEEI’s Dennis and Callahan show asked Specter if he would be just as vigorous in his pursuit of the story if it were the Eagles who were accused of spying on other NFL teams.

“Absolutely,” Specter said. “I’m an Eagles fan, but I’m an American. And I believe in fair play. I’ve been a sports fan all my life. Very interested in baseball and football and other sports, and I’m interested in fair play. I like real competition and I like honesty and integrity and I believe that professional athletes have a very unique role in our society. They are role models. And we have given baseball and football antitrust exemptions. They are big businesses.”

I could not agree more. Especially about the big business part. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I think this sort of cheating goes on in many other places. I’d like to see other teams get their shot on the chopping block, not just the Patriots.

The hosts told Specter that they think most Americans don’t think Spygate is a worthwhile use of a senator’s time.

“With all due respect, I’m not interested in your guessing and I’m not interested in your surmising and I think you may have a bias — and I’m not going to say you do,” Specter said. “I’ve been very careful not to call for a Senate investigation.”

NFL owners might opt out of the existing labor agreement as soon as Tuesday when they hold their next meetings in Atlanta, according to league sources. An NFL Players Association source said, “We expect it to happen.”

Honestly with all the money involved you would hope that both sides would show a little common sense and compromise in negotiations. But all of you know how slim the chances are that will happen. What a shame. For those of you who are wondering, if the owners opt out, there will be no salary cap in 2010.

Bill Parcells likes Ricky Williams:

”I was expecting him not to talk to me at all,” Williams said. “I was expecting to get a letter in the mail saying I was going to be a free agent.

“I like [Parcells] more than I thought I would. He’s really different than I expected. It seems to me his greatest joy is developing true friendships with his players, being a mentor and trying to help people, not just in football but in life.”

This is, of course, why Parcells doesn’t think much of Jason Taylor. Being a good player isn’t enough. You have to be there to establish and maintain relationships. See Brian Urlacher.

Herman Edwards on rebuilding the crumbling KC offensive line:

“You’ve got to have the five guys playing together. That’s how the good offensive lines play. That’s why they’re good. They know each other and have a feel for each other.”

This, of course, highlights the problem that the Bears have as well. They’ll likely be starting two new players this year and establishing that ability to work as a team takes time an experience. IMO this is one of the reasons Jerry Angelo favored signing veterans to build the line up to until year.

I don’t know when it became such a crime to attend a party and drink but you can find photos of Vince Young doing so here:

Calls to Tennessee Titans rep Robbie Bohrens (you know, why not?) were not returned. I’ll just insert his exasperated “no comment” right here for now, pending some kind of official statement that they have no reason to make anyway.

You can include my exasperated no comment as well.

The Chicago Tribune examines Charlie Weiss’ role in Spygate. Notre Dame, the college that fired George O’Leary for problems with his resume, is stonewalling. One wonders if the league even questioned Weiss on the matter in the course of its “investigation”.

One Final Thought

Lance Briggs of your Chicago Bears:

“I’m happy. I’m happy Chicago is happy, and we can move on. I don’t really like the business side too much. I love the game.”

Just not enough to come to Chicago and workout.

One Final Thought

Lance Briggs of your Chicago Bears:

“I’m happy. I’m happy Chicago is happy, and we can move on. I don’t really like the business side too much. I love the game.”

Just not enough to come to Chicago and workout.

Briggs told Lovie that he had family matters to deal with, and for him family comes first. Thats why he missed the workouts.

Lovie said he understood, and yes I too believe family comes first.

Briggs seems like his old self again, and will probably been seen a lot more giving interviews like before.

Briggs told Lovie that he had family matters to deal with, and for him family comes first. Thats why he missed the workouts.

Lovie said he understood, and yes I too believe family comes first.

Briggs seems like his old self again, and will probably been seen a lot more giving interviews like before.

Can't blame him for that. However, better not hear him bitchin about cash since he gave up 250k in workout bonuses.

Peace :dabears

The concept of trading Urlacher at this point is insane. While it's possible that the Bears may get a king's ransom for Urlacher, and the trade would pave the way towards fixing multiple problems on the team, it's just not the right thing to do. You don't get rid of the face of your franchise. You just don't do it.

Now if this is several years down the line, and Urlacher is clearly holding beyond the point he should, then the idea is possible. But I just don't see that yet.

The concept of trading Urlacher at this point is insane. While it's possible that the Bears may get a king's ransom for Urlacher, and the trade would pave the way towards fixing multiple problems on the team, it's just not the right thing to do. You don't get rid of the face of your franchise. You just don't do it.

Now if this is several years down the line, and Urlacher is clearly holding beyond the point he should, then the idea is possible. But I just don't see that yet.

You wouldnt get a kings ransom for Urlacher at this point.

name='jason' date='May 18 2008, 09:16 PM' post='39139']

I'd hate to see the Bears trade Url, but don't view the scenario as insane. His value will never be higher and waiting only diminishes it. In his later years, you just want him to ride off into the sunset as a Bear. Agreed, you don't get rid of the face of the franchise... ...unless he doesn't desire to be that anymore.

I'd hate to see the Bears trade Url, but don't view the scenario as insane. His value will never be higher and waiting only diminishes it. In his later years, you just want him to ride off into the sunset as a Bear. Agreed, you don't get rid of the face of the franchise... ...unless he doesn't desire to be that anymore.

If he can go through this season healthy and he doesnt seem slowed down by his injuries next year his value will be higher.

name='DrunkBomber' date='May 19 2008, 01:12 AM' post='39151']

If he can go through this season healthy and he doesnt seem slowed down by his injuries next year his value will be higher.

He's getting to the point in his career where he has developed chronic injuries. You just try to manage them the best you can. His skills will decline on a bell curve until he retires. His trade value will follow that path. Hopefully, it's not for several years.

He's getting to the point in his career where he has developed chronic injuries. You just try to manage them the best you can. His skills will decline on a bell curve until he retires. His trade value will follow that path. Hopefully, it's not for several years.

Well you said his trade value will never be higher than right now. Im saying that since he is coming off surgery, his value isnt that high right now, but if he can play this whole season healthy and at the level he has been his whole career teams would be willing to offer a lot more for him.