Bears sign fourth-round pick Steltz

Pixote

Article from ChicagoBears.com

June 2, 2008

Bears sign fourth-round pick Steltz to four-year deal

By Larry Mayerspacer.gif

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears on Monday signed fourth-round draft pick Craig Steltz (120th overall), a safety from LSU, to a four-year contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"I don't think it's hit me yet," Steltz said moments after signing. "It's crazy that this day already came. It's the day you've really worked for your whole life—to have the opportunity to step on the field and play professional football—so it's pretty cool."

Steltz_inside060208.jpg

Craig Steltz worked with the second-team defense at free safety in minicamp.

Steltz is an instinctive, tough and intelligent safety who emerged as a senior before sustaining a hairline fracture of his scapula, or shoulder blade, in the national championship game last Jan. 7.

Steltz started all 14 games last season, registering 101 tackles, seven pass breakups and six interceptions. As a junior in 2006, he had 42 tackles, nine pass breakups and four interceptions while becoming the first player in LSU history to pick off a pass in four straight games.

After lining up as the second team free safety during the Bears' minicamp over the weekend, Steltz is pleased with the progress he's making.

"It's about getting better every day," he said. "That's what you come out here to do, whether it's techniques or schemes you're learning that are a little different from college. It's coming out here every day and just improving every day.

"You always talk about getting one percent better and focusing on one thing and by the end of camp and summer workouts you've combined all those things to become a better player."

The Bears have now signed a NFL-high seven draft picks, with Steltz following tight end Kellen Davis, defensive end Ervin Baldwin, guard Chester Adams, linebacker Joey LaRocque, offensive tackle Kirk Barton and wide receiver Marcus Monk, all of whom inked their deals on Friday.

Davis was chosen in the fifth round, while the other five were selected in the seventh round.

Five Bears picks remain unsigned: First-round offensive tackle Chris Williams, second-round running back Matt Forte, third-round receiver Earl Bennett, third-round defensive tackle Marcus Harrison and fifth-round cornerback Zackary Bowman

Agreed. So far, so good. I'll give mgmt the benefit of the doubt and think that all will be signed, sealed and delivered by camp's start.

Nicely done. I'm curious to see when the Bears get serious with Forte/Williams. Both of those guys are being looked upon as key contributors and they won't even have a chance at doing such unless they get signed and are in camp from day 1.

Nicely done. I'm curious to see when the Bears get serious with Forte/Williams. Both of those guys are being looked upon as key contributors and they won't even have a chance at doing such unless they get signed and are in camp from day 1.

I thought that the higher rounds waited for somewhat of a ripple effect before they complete contracts. I would assume they would be waiting to see what teams before them signed similar positional players for.

Regardless, nice to get these contracts done and out of the way. They have to be a relief for these rookies so that they can concentrate on their game (and where do spend all that cash).