Who would you rather have?

bear trap

Not saying we do in fact sign a vet but if we did who would you want? I personally want Jones. Sure he's comming off an injury, but with the right structured contract he could be had for a bargain. I like alexander and jordan, but fear that Turner would use them like he used benson. In on mostly running plays and a very minimum passing plays. This is what makes us so darn predictable. K. Jones would keep the opposing defense guessing, cause he's more rounded and accomplished at the passing game than alexander and jordan. If healthy I view a K jones and M Forte 1-2 punch much more powerful than what we had with TJ and Bumsen. Remember: Jones did break our streak of holding opponents without a rushing TD. He can be a good back and with an incentive contract based on games played and certain other acheivments he could be had for a good bargain and cut if injured ( kinda like what we did with brown). Seems like there's a win win situation, and I'd love for him to tick off the kitty fans twice a year.

Not saying we do in fact sign a vet but if we did who would you want? I personally want Jones. Sure he's comming off an injury, but with the right structured contract he could be had for a bargain. I like alexander and jordan, but fear that Turner would use them like he used benson. In on mostly running plays and a very minimum passing plays. This is what makes us so darn predictable. K. Jones would keep the opposing defense guessing, cause he's more rounded and accomplished at the passing game than alexander and jordan. If healthy I view a K jones and M Forte 1-2 punch much more powerful than what we had with TJ and Bumsen. Remember: Jones did break our streak of holding opponents without a rushing TD. He can be a good back and with an incentive contract based on games played and certain other acheivments he could be had for a good bargain and cut if injured ( kinda like what we did with brown). Seems like there's a win win situation, and I'd love for him to tick off the kitty fans twice a year.

IF he was healthy, I'd like Jones too. Unfortunately, I think if he was healthy SOMEONE would have already taken a chance on him. I really hope Forte is as good as advertised, I've never seen him play live and his videos haven't really wowed me. If our Oline improves significantly, I don't think we'd have to worry about him too much.

With benson gone now, does this mean that he'll not be on the bears on madden 09, I wasn't for sure when they make the final roster edits before the game comes out? If we're going to pick up a vet I hope we do it befor that final roster is made on the game.

IF he was healthy, I'd like Jones too. Unfortunately, I think if he was healthy SOMEONE would have already taken a chance on him. I really hope Forte is as good as advertised, I've never seen him play live and his videos haven't really wowed me. If our Oline improves significantly, I don't think we'd have to worry about him too much.

I heard on the SCORE today that Jones is supposed to have an open work-out for NFL teams on June 28th or something like that. If he's healthy, I'd love to see us take a chance on him.

That being said, it's mind-boggling how many good running-backs are looking for work right now. Jones, Rhodes, Henry, Alexander, Ron Dayne (I could be wrong about that) and now Benson. I can't think of any other position where so much talent is available. Especially when the Giants won the Super Bowl using 4 different running-backs a ton throughout the course of the season.

I personally don't see us signing anybody. Forte supposedly looks great. AP is ok, reliable, and consistent. The biggest question mark is Wolfe. If we think Wolfe can contribute, why do we need a 4th back who's a big-name? Angelo stressed TEAM in his press-conference.

Rhodes resigned with the Colts...

Word is Jones looked great in workouts for the Bengals and Patriots. Apparently one of the drills he does is running and cutting on an incline (treadmill? not sure), and he was fluid and powerful. This comes from the guy who covers the Lions for MLive...he likes to report on players the Lions drafted that become successful, which almost always means he follows them after they leave Detroit :)

I heard on the SCORE today that Jones is supposed to have an open work-out for NFL teams on June 28th or something like that. If he's healthy, I'd love to see us take a chance on him.

That being said, it's mind-boggling how many good running-backs are looking for work right now. Jones, Rhodes, Henry, Alexander, Ron Dayne (I could be wrong about that) and now Benson. I can't think of any other position where so much talent is available. Especially when the Giants won the Super Bowl using 4 different running-backs a ton throughout the course of the season.

I personally don't see us signing anybody. Forte supposedly looks great. AP is ok, reliable, and consistent. The biggest question mark is Wolfe. If we think Wolfe can contribute, why do we need a 4th back who's a big-name? Angelo stressed TEAM in his press-conference.

The one in blue has already signed back with indy and the ones in orange should never be in the same sentence with the words good running-backs

The one in blue has already signed back with indy and the ones in orange should never be in the same sentence with the words good running-backs

Like I said I would not be opposed to bringing in KJ if his base salary was low and he had some performance and attendance bonuses

I'd like to sign Alexander to mentor Forte, I know he is passed his prime but think he would be a great influence on this team for the right price....

KJ would be really really nice if he could stay healthy all year....

Henry....no thanks

I DO NOT want Alexander. He is soft. He is one of the softest RBs in the NFL. AT the first sign of contact, he hits the dirt. He's essentially Torry Holt, except RBs are not supposed to be that way. Alexander would bring nothing to the table. He's a pure result of his OL.

Bad OL = Bad Alexander

Average OL = Average Alexander

Great OL = Great Alexander

I don't see why Forte can't do the same, if not more. He's young, talented, and hungry. Also, rookie RBs are typically the easiest adjusters to the NFL game. I say the Bears use a three-headed monster, run them like crazy, and try to grind the games out. It works for not only the offensive ineptitude that the Bears are sure to encounter, but also the team's strength: defense (assuming there aren't catastrophic injuries like last year).

I'd like to sign Alexander to mentor Forte, I know he is passed his prime but think he would be a great influence on this team for the right price....

I never understood that line of thinking. We sign Alexander to a 1 year contract, and he's supposed to help Forte get better??? It's far more likely he'd be hiding his cup. That's why we have a running-backs coach.

If not, why couldn't AP mentor him? He's never been accused of not knowing the position or not giving 100%.

I never understood that line of thinking. We sign Alexander to a 1 year contract, and he's supposed to help Forte get better??? It's far more likely he'd be hiding his cup. That's why we have a running-backs coach.

If not, why couldn't AP mentor him? He's never been accused of not knowing the position or not giving 100%.

I am not saying to teach him a lot of running back strategy...I am saying more on how to be a successful NFL running back...and not freak up...(aka Salaam, Enis, Benson)

AP is hardly a successful NFL running back....I wouldn't even put TJ in that category even though he is a "solid" RB...

I dont think were going to sign any other backs at this point. We had one too many before. If theyre ever going to give Wolfe a shot it would be this year. AP and Forte should suffice better than anyone thats available and then I guess give Wolfe a shot if not. I dont see why any Wolfe supporters would want to get a new back. Carrying four running backs isnt that common and wouldnt bode well for Wolfe.

At least to me, "Veteran mentor" is not the kind of thing that comes to my mind when I think of my current impressions of Alexander. He may have changed personally, but I never got the impression that he's the kind of guy I wanted other people to emulate.

Everyone is saying it was a mistake to trade TJ, if for no other reason than because Benson then did not have competition for his job. Well, by that logic, nor does Forte. Sorry, but neither Wolfe, nor AP, are legit competition for the job.

Everyone is saying it was a mistake to trade TJ, if for no other reason than because Benson then did not have competition for his job. Well, by that logic, nor does Forte. Sorry, but neither Wolfe, nor AP, are legit competition for the job.

I thought it was a mistake to trade TJ because the team was better when he was here. Also, Im pretty sure as of right now AP will be the starter and if Forte gets the job he will have to earn it. Forte will get his carries but he isnt going to get spoon fed the starting running back job for the Chicago Bears.

I thought it was a mistake to trade TJ because I did not believe we got enough in return.

As for this year, if AP is our starter, that is a sad testiment, IMHO. I never felt AP was as good as some fans felt, and simply do not view him as legit competition. AP is a great special teams player, but as a RB, far from special. If Forte can not beat out AP in camp, I think we are in more trouble than I already think we are.

I hear ya...

However, I just think unless the Bears pick up a vet...the "starter" will be AP. But I then see Forte getting more and more carries that by week 6, he's the starter. The wild card is Wolfe I think. He could be used by coaches better and maybe prove to be a huge value like Dunn. But that requires good coaching decisions and I just doubt that's a possibility for us.

I thought it was a mistake to trade TJ because I did not believe we got enough in return.

As for this year, if AP is our starter, that is a sad testiment, IMHO. I never felt AP was as good as some fans felt, and simply do not view him as legit competition. AP is a great special teams player, but as a RB, far from special. If Forte can not beat out AP in camp, I think we are in more trouble than I already think we are.