My take on Benson and out RB situation

nfoligno

Sorry, been unable to spend time on the keyboard of late (nice timing).

I have been among Benson's strongest advocates. While I still question the police tactics on the boat, I think Benson blew it on the recent situation. Whether he was drunk or not, whether he should have blown or not, whatever. To me, that is all beside the point.

Last year, I blasted Tank. After getting into so much trouble, Tank getting caught drinking and driving (regardless how much) at the wee hours of the morning to me showed he simply had not learned his lesson. I see little difference here for Benson.

I thought Benson learned his lesson. He showed up to camp in shape, and by all reports, was running like a player w/ a chip on his shoulder. While not to the level most would want, to me, even his interviews showed a level of acknowleding some of his woes were on him, and that his future was up to him. And he seemed to be taking his situation seriously.

His recent arrest tells me otherwise. (a) Late night partying is not a crime, but for someone who is coming off recent troubles, you simply have to avoid putting yourself in bad situations, and he did little to avoid such (B) His attorney has even said he had a couple drinks, though he maintains he was not drunk. So what. He had some drinks, and got behind the wheel. W/ the boat, Benson was not driving it, and it could be believed if he was not capable, another would. Here, he was driving, and it is pretty open/shut, at least to me. As others have said, he can afford a taxi, though I still go back to the original point, that inhis situation, partying all night may not have been his best option.

It makes me sick we cut him, but I totally understand it. The boating arrest, the late night speeding, and now the DWI, are too much in too short of a time. For a player needing to avoid trouble, he did too much to put himself in situations where trouble is too likely. Once can deal w/, but the cumulitive effect here is too much to ignore.

Moving forward, I tend to hope we add a veteran. Many have said it was a mistake to trade away TJ and hand Benson the job, if for no other reason than the loss of any apparant competition at the position. AP does not provide a legit competition. Nor does Wolfe. While Forte should be given every opportunity to win the starting job, he should have to win it against someone more capable than what we currently have on the roster. I don't know if that means Lamont Jordan or Kevin Jones, or whoever, but I do believe we need to add a 4th RB. I simply believe it a mistake to hand Forte the job, which is exactly what we are doing if we do not replace Benson.

Good write-up nfo...

As you probably well know...I pretty almost called this from the get go after his first arrest. As Forrest Gump said..."Stupid is as stupid does..."

Regardless of degrees of legality etc...the man is guilty of bad judgement.

I am personally happy to be rid of him. I think Angelo's statement and action was more than approporaite. It is time to move on. Hopefully this young man can learn somethng from this.

In the meantime, I'd prefer to stay away from Henry since he's only one joint away from banishment. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Alexander who may be looking for redemption.

I have been among Benson's strongest advocates. While I still question the police tactics on the boat, I think Benson blew it on the recent situation. Whether he was drunk or not, whether he should have blown or not, whatever. To me, that is all beside the point.

Last year, I blasted Tank. After getting into so much trouble, Tank getting caught drinking and driving (regardless how much) at the wee hours of the morning to me showed he simply had not learned his lesson. I see little difference here for Benson.

I thought Benson learned his lesson. He showed up to camp in shape, and by all reports, was running like a player w/ a chip on his shoulder. While not to the level most would want, to me, even his interviews showed a level of acknowleding some of his woes were on him, and that his future was up to him. And he seemed to be taking his situation seriously.

His recent arrest tells me otherwise. (a) Late night partying is not a crime, but for someone who is coming off recent troubles, you simply have to avoid putting yourself in bad situations, and he did little to avoid such (B) His attorney has even said he had a couple drinks, though he maintains he was not drunk. So what. He had some drinks, and got behind the wheel. W/ the boat, Benson was not driving it, and it could be believed if he was not capable, another would. Here, he was driving, and it is pretty open/shut, at least to me. As others have said, he can afford a taxi, though I still go back to the original point, that inhis situation, partying all night may not have been his best option.

It makes me sick we cut him, but I totally understand it. The boating arrest, the late night speeding, and now the DWI, are too much in too short of a time. For a player needing to avoid trouble, he did too much to put himself in situations where trouble is too likely. Once can deal w/, but the cumulitive effect here is too much to ignore.

Moving forward, I tend to hope we add a veteran. Many have said it was a mistake to trade away TJ and hand Benson the job, if for no other reason than the loss of any apparant competition at the position. AP does not provide a legit competition. Nor does Wolfe. While Forte should be given every opportunity to win the starting job, he should have to win it against someone more capable than what we currently have on the roster. I don't know if that means Lamont Jordan or Kevin Jones, or whoever, but I do believe we need to add a 4th RB. I simply believe it a mistake to hand Forte the job, which is exactly what we are doing if we do not replace Benson.

I think Angelo's statement and action was more than approporaite

As said, I don't have issue w/ the actions, but I do have an issue w/ Angelo's comments.

Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears.

What a crock. Sorry, but this is just BS. Was Briggs held accountable for his actions? And as for individual priorities, this team has been over-flowing w/ individual priorities placed above that of the team.

I have no issue w/ Angelo's actions. They were warranted IMHO. But I just do not care for this crap. I think we all know that if Benson were a 1,300+ yard rusher, the actions would likely have been different. Does anyone think that if Urlacher is nailed for two DWIs in the span of a week, much less month, he would be fired?

Just once I wish the GM would get up there and tell the truth. "If Benson were more productive, we might be more willing to deal w/ the crap, but when you factor his production against his off-field distractions, the math simply does not support our keeping Benson on the payroll.

In the meantime, I'd prefer to stay away from Henry since he's only one joint away from banishment. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Alexander who may be looking for redemption.

Agreed on Henry. Not sure about Alexander. My only issue w/ Alexander is, what are his expectations. If he still believes he can be a #1 RB, then he may be less inclined to be a happy camper w/ us. Kevin Jones and Lamont Jordan, I think, would be better options. In each, you have a player who can likely provide good competition, w/ less concern over what happens if Forte does step up and win the job. If Forte won the job, I am simply not sure we can count on Alexander being a content backup. They may be his role in the NFL now, but I am less certain he knows that, at least not yet.

I certianly won't argue agasint the double standard. Briggs performed. Benson did not. I'm not saying it's right, it's just reality.

As much as you'd love to hear the truth, please never epect it. You're doomed for a lifetime of disappointment. I'd love it, but it's just not going to happen. I lok at sports teams' management like politician. If the lips are movin'...they're probably lyin'.

Guys that perform, get more chances than guys that don't. Guys that the team invests a lot of money in get more chances than guys with small salaries. It's just that way it is.

I hear ya on Jordan and Jones... I wouldn't mind either. How about even a longshot like a retired Corey Dillon?

I think Angelo's statement and action was more than approporaite

As said, I don't have issue w/ the actions, but I do have an issue w/ Angelo's comments.

Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears.

What a crock. Sorry, but this is just BS. Was Briggs held accountable for his actions? And as for individual priorities, this team has been over-flowing w/ individual priorities placed above that of the team.

I have no issue w/ Angelo's actions. They were warranted IMHO. But I just do not care for this crap. I think we all know that if Benson were a 1,300+ yard rusher, the actions would likely have been different. Does anyone think that if Urlacher is nailed for two DWIs in the span of a week, much less month, he would be fired?

Just once I wish the GM would get up there and tell the truth. "If Benson were more productive, we might be more willing to deal w/ the crap, but when you factor his production against his off-field distractions, the math simply does not support our keeping Benson on the payroll.

Agreed on Henry. Not sure about Alexander. My only issue w/ Alexander is, what are his expectations. If he still believes he can be a #1 RB, then he may be less inclined to be a happy camper w/ us. Kevin Jones and Lamont Jordan, I think, would be better options. In each, you have a player who can likely provide good competition, w/ less concern over what happens if Forte does step up and win the job. If Forte won the job, I am simply not sure we can count on Alexander being a content backup. They may be his role in the NFL now, but I am less certain he knows that, at least not yet.

I still have mixed feelings about this. If he was innocent in the boating fiasco, why should he have to lie low and not go out late night and party within the limits of the law (assuming the second charge proves to be bogus as well)? Because of the negative PERCEPTION the boating thing brought? It embarrassed the Bears organization when the story first broke, but even after reports came out supporting Benson's story, JA spoke as if he was embarrassed anyway and I really don't get that. The Bears caved to outside pressure instead of sticking up for one of it's own who seems to have been mistreated.

I know many people think he should have gotten a cab, but if he really wasn't drunk, why should he have to be EXTRA legal? I'd really like to see the tape to clear this up more.

I know not to expect the truth. I am fine w/ that. What hacks me off is when coaches/GMs go that next step. If he simply said they were disappointed in Benson's actions, and felt he was too great of a distraction, or that he didn't live up to expectations, fine. But to go out and talk about how the team doesn't allow this or that, I thought he went too far.

I hear ya on Jordan and Jones... I wouldn't mind either. How about even a longshot like a retired Corey Dillon?

One, as I recall, Dillon said he would consider coming out of retirement for the right situation. Do you honestly think he would view us that way?

Two, I want a player who wants to play football. Have we not have enough of a RB who doesn't have the desire? Dillon is retired, and has not shown that he truly wants to come back.

Three, I simply think Dillon is done. He was a good RB, but his time has passed.

Frankly, Jordan could be a solid option. He can still run the ball, and has great receiving hands. He would provide good competition, as well as depth.

I don't care about the tape. My brother in law is a big guy, and there have been times I knew he was trashed, but he held himself so well, few that didn't know him would realize it. He would "ace" a field test, but would never pass a breath or blood test.

For me, I go back to Tank. Tank took the test, and it proved he was not over the legal limit, but IMHO, that was beside the point. He was drinking and choose to get behind the wheel of a car. That is bad enough, but when you are on a last chance, you simply should not be playing w/ fire like that.

According to Benson's own attorney, he had (I believe) 3 drinks. Maybe that was not enough for him to be drunk, or over the limit, but I do think that is enough that he should not have been behind the wheel.

Maybe it is all a double standard. Maybe I am just getting old. If it were 9pm, and Benson had a glass or wine or two, or a couple beers, at dinner, I might be more forgiving. But it being late at night, parying and not just at dinner, I simply view it different. Maybe Benson didn't break the law, but what he broke was the teams confidence. Whether he was in the right or wrong over the boat, I think it likely the staff said they were giving him one final chance. They likely said he needed to stear clear or trouble, or even situations that could lead to trouble. By staying out late and choosing to drive, he put himself in a situation that created an opportunity for bad things, which is what happened.

Hey, life sucks, but Benson's history, which he was in control of, put himself in this situation. Not the boating incident, but the lack of production and prior poor attitude. If Benson was a model player who produced, these incidents would have been dealt w/ different, IMHO. But Benson put himself in this situation, and did too little to get himself out of it.

I don't care about the tape. My brother in law is a big guy, and there have been times I knew he was trashed, but he held himself so well, few that didn't know him would realize it. He would "ace" a field test, but would never pass a breath or blood test.

For me, I go back to Tank. Tank took the test, and it proved he was not over the legal limit, but IMHO, that was beside the point. He was drinking and choose to get behind the wheel of a car. That is bad enough, but when you are on a last chance, you simply should not be playing w/ fire like that.

According to Benson's own attorney, he had (I believe) 3 drinks. Maybe that was not enough for him to be drunk, or over the limit, but I do think that is enough that he should not have been behind the wheel.

Maybe it is all a double standard. Maybe I am just getting old. If it were 9pm, and Benson had a glass or wine or two, or a couple beers, at dinner, I might be more forgiving. But it being late at night, parying and not just at dinner, I simply view it different. Maybe Benson didn't break the law, but what he broke was the teams confidence. Whether he was in the right or wrong over the boat, I think it likely the staff said they were giving him one final chance. They likely said he needed to stear clear or trouble, or even situations that could lead to trouble. By staying out late and choosing to drive, he put himself in a situation that created an opportunity for bad things, which is what happened.

Hey, life sucks, but Benson's history, which he was in control of, put himself in this situation. Not the boating incident, but the lack of production and prior poor attitude. If Benson was a model player who produced, these incidents would have been dealt w/ different, IMHO. But Benson put himself in this situation, and did too little to get himself out of it.

I know what you mean about people that are drunk but being able to hold it together. The officer's affidavit, however, said Benson could not balance himself without wobbling and that he was slurring his speech. If the tape shows Benson moving like a sober person throughout an entire test, and requesting a blood test without slurring, thus contradicting the officer's own account, wouldn't that make you question everything else the officer says happened? I know I would.

In terms of his being innocent, in terms of the law, sure. But I still am not sure it matters.

Benson heads into this offseason already on very thin ice due to a lack of production, numerous injuries, questionable attitude, questionable ability to get along w/ teamates, and a newly added 2nd round RB the staff is high on.

Since then...

Benson gets into trouble on the boat. Okay, many give him the benefit of doubt and basically move on. How much talk had there been of late about his boating incident? I think the staff gave Benson the Tank speech. He was told he needed to do more than simply stay out of trouble w/ the law. He needed to avoid situations where little good can happen, whether it is an issue of perception or reality. Tank actually passed his breath test, but for the staff, he was guilty of once again putting himself in a questionable situation. He may not have broken the law, but by "toting the line" when he should have avoid the line all together, it was enough. Benson was told, IMHO, not to simply avoid crossing the line, but avoid situations that might put him near the line.

Gets busted driving nearly double the speed limit through a construction zone in the wee hours of the night. Not good, but not a bid deal made of it.

Then this. Benson knows he needs to avoid even the appearance or perception of wrong doing. He makes the choice to go out and party late into the night, and worse, drive. Maybe he was not drunk, and thus didn't cross the line, but he put himself in a situation where he had to tote the line, and that was over the line the bears drew in the sand.

Again, maybe it isn't fair. Like you said, it is perfectly legal to go out and have fun, and if he were not drunk, also legal to drive. But he put himself in that situation, and did so before the boat. As I said, if his last 3 years were different, his last 3 weeks may too have been different.

Listen what you guys are saying. Dillon? Henry? I would love for us to get Shawn Alexander. But, he has his own issues. Players who are "out there" are "out there" for a reason.

Still think we would be a better team to allow CB to practice and suspend him for a couple of games. It wouldn't have went over well with the Mariottis, Claytons and Mortensons of the world. But, screw them! They aren't Bears fans anyway and couldn't care less about how many games we won.

Later for the choir boy stuff. Not saying CB was a great football player. I've never been his biggest fan. I just know that this time last week, he was slated to be our starting RB. We cannot pretend that everything is better without him. We don't really have anyone that is ready to replace him. :shakehead

In terms of his being innocent, in terms of the law, sure. But I still am not sure it matters.

Benson heads into this offseason already on very thin ice due to a lack of production, numerous injuries, questionable attitude, questionable ability to get along w/ teamates, and a newly added 2nd round RB the staff is high on.

Since then...

Benson gets into trouble on the boat. Okay, many give him the benefit of doubt and basically move on. How much talk had there been of late about his boating incident? I think the staff gave Benson the Tank speech. He was told he needed to do more than simply stay out of trouble w/ the law. He needed to avoid situations where little good can happen, whether it is an issue of perception or reality. Tank actually passed his breath test, but for the staff, he was guilty of once again putting himself in a questionable situation. He may not have broken the law, but by "toting the line" when he should have avoid the line all together, it was enough. Benson was told, IMHO, not to simply avoid crossing the line, but avoid situations that might put him near the line.

Gets busted driving nearly double the speed limit through a construction zone in the wee hours of the night. Not good, but not a bid deal made of it.

Then this. Benson knows he needs to avoid even the appearance or perception of wrong doing. He makes the choice to go out and party late into the night, and worse, drive. Maybe he was not drunk, and thus didn't cross the line, but he put himself in a situation where he had to tote the line, and that was over the line the bears drew in the sand.

Again, maybe it isn't fair. Like you said, it is perfectly legal to go out and have fun, and if he were not drunk, also legal to drive. But he put himself in that situation, and did so before the boat. As I said, if his last 3 years were different, his last 3 weeks may too have been different.

The difference between this and the Tank case was that in Tank's case he was guilty of the charges. In Benson's case it appears he wasn't guilty of the boating charge and the DUI is now at least being questioned. When Jerry Angelo said he was not please Benson had put himself in a bad position on the boat, you yourself said (correct me if I'm wrong) that if Benson was innnocent, you did not see how he was putting himself in any bad position by doing what many free Americans legally do.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the staff did give Benson the Tank speech after the boating incident, they shouldn't have. He didn't have any legal issues while with the Bears prior to that, and if innocent, his record with the team should still have been clear at that point, despite the negative perception.

One, I think the incident that actually led to Tank being released found him innocent. He did not "blow" over the legal limit. There was talk about charging him w/ drinking a driving, even though he was not over the drunk limit (some odd AZ law) but that never happened.

Two, I did not believe Benson put himself in a bad situation on the boat, but do believe he did w/ this recent incident.

Three, You believe that he should not have been given the Tank speech as (a) he didn't have the legal troubled history tank had and (B) it has yet to be proven he did anything wrong on the boat. All that may be true, but then I would argue production and attitude come into play. While Benson didn't have the legal history, he did have a history of low production and questionable (at best) attitude. Tank had the legal troubles, but not really the attitude, and had produced on a higher level.

I have said all along that if Benson had been a different player over the last three years, his recent troubles may not have led to his release. Despite not having a rap sheet, Benson was on thin ice entering the offseason. So while the history leading up to the final straw may have been different between Benson and Tank, I think each did in fact have a history.

I understand what you are saying, but what I think about is Cade McNown.

When we cut Cade (a) we took a cap hit, (B) we did not have a player that good to step in and © did not have a young QB developing in the wings. But few feel cutting Cade was a mistake.

Benson was never a favorite in the locker room, and I think that is a big part of this. His attitude had him on thin ice, and right or wrong, the staff simply didn't feel his production was worth the attitude and mess he was creating.

I agree we are not a better team on the field w/o him. At the same time, I would argue (a) we may have a better locker room, which often can in fact lead to good things and (B) sometimes you simply have to make a stand.

I understand a team is not best served by having all choir boys, but at the same time, I think you need players who want to be better. Benson didn't show that he was willing to learn from mistakes, and that led to his release.

I see that... And I do agree...that would have been the most preferred statement.

Regarding Dillon, I only want him for one season to mentor Forte. The bet is still on Forte...but DIllon could offer some OK number, especially near the goal line. Spell the rookie enough and then be off on his way after the year. And live in Chicago and eat at Gibson's...

I know not to expect the truth. I am fine w/ that. What hacks me off is when coaches/GMs go that next step. If he simply said they were disappointed in Benson's actions, and felt he was too great of a distraction, or that he didn't live up to expectations, fine. But to go out and talk about how the team doesn't allow this or that, I thought he went too far.

One, as I recall, Dillon said he would consider coming out of retirement for the right situation. Do you honestly think he would view us that way?

Two, I want a player who wants to play football. Have we not have enough of a RB who doesn't have the desire? Dillon is retired, and has not shown that he truly wants to come back.

Three, I simply think Dillon is done. He was a good RB, but his time has passed.

Frankly, Jordan could be a solid option. He can still run the ball, and has great receiving hands. He would provide good competition, as well as depth.

The difference between this and the Tank case was that in Tank's case he was guilty of the charges. In Benson's case it appears he wasn't guilty of the boating charge and the DUI is now at least being questioned. When Jerry Angelo said he was not please Benson had put himself in a bad position on the boat, you yourself said (correct me if I'm wrong) that if Benson was innnocent, you did not see how he was putting himself in any bad position by doing what many free Americans legally do.

I guess what I'm saying is that if the staff did give Benson the Tank speech after the boating incident, they shouldn't have. He didn't have any legal issues while with the Bears prior to that, and if innocent, his record with the team should still have been clear at that point, despite the negative perception.

No, Tank wasnt guilty of the charges that resulting in him getting cut

Johnson was pulled over for speeding in Gilbert, Arizona. According to the police, he was stopped by after driving forty miles per hour in a twenty-five mile per hour zone. He was also suspected of driving while impaired "to the slightest degree", but was released without being booked or charged. The Bears waived Johnson a few days after hearing the news, as general manager Jerry Angelo stated that he had no room for error left. [27] The incident would prove to be the final straw in his already tense relationship with the Bears' organization. The Bears ultimately released Johnson on June 25, claiming he "compromised the credibility" of the team.[28] Almost a week after Johnson was waived, the results from a blood test conducted on Johnson when he was pulled over confirmed his blood alcohol content was under the legal limit.

Its the same situation except Benson didnt take a breath test like Tank did. The Bears have remained consistent with how they approach things like this. In case you were going to mention Briggs, that was an isolated incident and he has no track record of trouble. If Briggs does something like that again and doesnt get cut then we can start questioning the front office but until then, all the Bears are doing is trying to keep players that draw negative attention to the team more than once and show poor judgment AFTER the team has stood by them after the first incident.

You think Benson is better than Dillon or Henry? Granted, I'm grasping at straws a bit with Dillon, but if you read the full post, you'll see that my intention is to just bring a vet in for one season and mentor Forte while he gets his NFL legs.

You can pine for Cedric all you want...because while you might not like the Henry or Dillon or Alexander choices, they are at least viable options. Benson will never again be seen in Navy and Burnt Orange.

I could care less about choir boys either. Steve McMichael and Jim McMahon are among my personal favorite Bears...but when they were on the team, they performed and didn't get caught partying. Having the Bears staff insist that one guy is named starter give me about as much hope as the Captain of the Titanic saying it's just an ice cube...

Ever heard of the concept of addition by subtraction? I think that this could be that case.

Listen what you guys are saying. Dillon? Henry? I would love for us to get Shawn Alexander. But, he has his own issues. Players who are "out there" are "out there" for a reason.

Still think we would be a better team to allow CB to practice and suspend him for a couple of games. It wouldn't have went over well with the Mariottis, Claytons and Mortensons of the world. But, screw them! They aren't Bears fans anyway and couldn't care less about how many games we won.

Later for the choir boy stuff. Not saying CB was a great football player. I've never been his biggest fan. I just know that this time last week, he was slated to be our starting RB. We cannot pretend that everything is better without him. We don't really have anyone that is ready to replace him. :shakehead

You think Benson is better than Dillon or Henry? Granted, I'm grasping at straws a bit with Dillon, but if you read the full post, you'll see that my intention is to just bring a vet in for one season and mentor Forte while he gets his NFL legs.

You can pine for Cedric all you want...because while you might not like the Henry or Dillon or Alexander choices, they are at least viable options. Benson will never again be seen in Navy and Burnt Orange.

I could care less about choir boys either. Steve McMichael and Jim McMahon are among my personal favorite Bears...but when they were on the team, they performed and didn't get caught partying. Having the Bears staff insist that one guy is named starter give me about as much hope as the Captain of the Titanic saying it's just an ice cube...

Ever heard of the concept of addition by subtraction? I think that this could be that case.

Corey Dillon hasn't played football in two years. If I recall correctly, he wasn't tearing the league up when the Pats cut him. Henry's character is notably worse than Benson's and Benson has more upside and is tailor made for this offense if he's in shape and ready to play. Your point is taken on the role Henry/Dillon would play. I agree. That's where we are now. That's what we're looking for now. But, it makes us worse off than we were last week.

I guess I'm still venting about my disagreement with his release. Probably need to simply get over it. But, I'm pissed because this hurts the team. Yeah, Benson made his bed. But, releasing him really hurts the team and may cost us. Why not sit him for a few games and give him a hefty fine for conduct detrimental to the team? What happens if we don't land a capable veteran RB? Adrian Peterson? If Forte becomes Adrian Peterson, I'll tip my hat to Angelo. But, it's a gamble.

Addition by substraction is understandable. Maybe it happens this time. Cade is totally different though. He really never showed he could play in this league. Those rainbow throws don't count. Benson has shown what he could do in the right situation. Similar to Tank, I'd bet that Benson gets his head straight and plays well for his next team. We are prematurely releasing guys who can help our team.

Again, I'm not pining for Benson. Don't really like the guy personally. Actually, I hoped Forte would be starter by mid season. I'm for what helps my team win games. I'm pining for WINNING! Don't get it twisted. I'm a BEARS fan!! It's not about Cedric Benson really. Players come and go.

I hear ya...Dillon's not a superb choice. Nor would I plan on paying him much nor relying on heavy lifting. Henry's potential for another drug bust also makes me scared as well. I just still disagree that we are worse off... I was still not sold one Benson and his "new" shape,etc regardless...it nice without pads. But the guy is unreliable not only off, but on the field.

I have no problem with venting! That's why most of us go here! There's nothing you can do about it...and it's not like it was Hester or Tommie Harris getting vcut. It was a guy that performed well only every now and then. I hate to say it, but I'm looking at this season as a quasi rebuild anyway. I don't see losing Benson and losing that much. We still have a suspect O line, very suspect QB's, very suspect WR coprs...and a coaching staff that can't figure out how to utilize 2 TE's... I guess I'm looking past this upcoming season as what we will have in place in 2 years. I want a good showing this year, but I'm very weary. I've lost a ton of hope in our coaches and their ability to adjust and grade talent.

I follow...I'm just not real sure what Benson has shown other than when there's a big hole , he can hit it. To me, there are a bunch of RB's that can do the same. I do disagree in comparison to Tank. At least with Tank, I got the impression that he really liked and wanted to play football. I just don't get that with Benson.

Hey, you and I want the same thing...we want the Bears to do well and win. I think they actually have a better chance of overall survival cutting out the cancer than dealing with it with a band aid.

Corey Dillon hasn't played football in two years. If I recall correctly, he wasn't tearing the league up when the Pats cut him. Henry's character is notably worse than Benson's and Benson has more upside and is tailor made for this offense if he's in shape and ready to play. Your point is taken on the role Henry/Dillon would play. I agree. That's where we are now. That's what we're looking for now. But, it makes us worse off than we were last week.

I guess I'm still venting about my disagreement with his release. Probably need to simply get over it. But, I'm pissed because this hurts the team. Yeah, Benson made his bed. But, releasing him really hurts the team and may cost us. Why not sit him for a few games and give him a hefty fine for conduct detrimental to the team? What happens if we don't land a capable veteran RB? Adrian Peterson? If Forte becomes Adrian Peterson, I'll tip my hat to Angelo. But, it's a gamble.

Addition by substraction is understandable. Maybe it happens this time. Cade is totally different though. He really never showed he could play in this league. Those rainbow throws don't count. Benson has shown what he could do in the right situation. Similar to Tank, I'd bet that Benson gets his head straight and plays well for his next team. We are prematurely releasing guys who can help our team.

Again, I'm not pining for Benson. Don't really like the guy personally. Actually, I hoped Forte would be starter by mid season. I'm for what helps my team win games. I'm pining for WINNING! Don't get it twisted. I'm a BEARS fan!! It's not about Cedric Benson really. Players come and go.

No, Tank wasnt guilty of the charges that resulting in him getting cut

Its the same situation except Benson didnt take a breath test like Tank did. The Bears have remained consistent with how they approach things like this. In case you were going to mention Briggs, that was an isolated incident and he has no track record of trouble. If Briggs does something like that again and doesnt get cut then we can start questioning the front office but until then, all the Bears are doing is trying to keep players that draw negative attention to the team more than once and show poor judgment AFTER the team has stood by them after the first incident.

I meant he was guilty of the charges that lead up to the "Tank Speech".

Did Angelo ever mention "team" when it came to Tank? I remember him talking about the organization, and the Bears, but I don't remember him saying that Tank let the team down. I could be wrong. But IMO Benson has let the team down in many different ways. That's what Angelo was talking about. There's still this sense that his teammates hated him and he never took football seriously.

As much as I've bashed Benson I started getting excited hearing about how he's arrived leaner, faster and more dedicated.

The bottom line is a simple 3 strike policy: Bad teammate--check. Didn't meet expectations--check. Embarrassed the franchise--check. He's gone.

I meant he was guilty of the charges that lead up to the "Tank Speech".

Ya and he also wasnt cut after that. After getting in trouble the team put him on notice they wont tolerate this kind of stuff and then they cut him for doing LESS than what Benson id because Tank didnt even get arrested.

Ya and he also wasnt cut after that. After getting in trouble the team put him on notice they wont tolerate this kind of stuff and then they cut him for doing LESS than what Benson id because Tank didnt even get arrested.

Just to clarify, Tank WAS arrested. Also, he did a blood test and not a breathalyzer. The team released him after his arrest and before the results came in and the charges were dropped.

I am definitly a believer that we cannot just hand Forte the job by himself. In todays NFL, the only way you get all of the carries by yourself is if you are a stud running back. Otherwise, you are going to have to split some carries with your competition as a starter. That being said, I dont want AP or Garret sharing carries with Forte. So we need to sign a veteran to take that role. I would want Kevin Jones just because he is still young and was a stud his rookie year.

No problem on the venting. Many here will attest how much of that I do.

As Mad said, I too am not sure how much of a championship contender I view us entering the season. While we have talent, and are not "that" far removed from playing in the SB, I simply think there is too many questions heading into this season, and see if more of a building process, particularly on offense, than a year we truly expect to contend. I hope I am wrong, but that is what I believe.

So w/ that said, maybe that indeed provides us w/ the glass half full look. I think most would agree, even w/ Benson on the roster, Forte was more likely our RB of the future. While Benson was the much higher draft day prospect, those hopes never seemed to play out. While I still think he can be a good RB in the NFL, I began to accept it likely would not be w/ the bears. Similar to TJ in AZ, sometimes a player has to leave his original team before he can shine.

So the era of Forte simply begins sooner, which should at minimum, push up the timetable of his development. That is the glass half full way of looking at this.

Just to clarify, Tank WAS arrested. Also, he did a blood test and not a breathalyzer. The team released him after his arrest and before the results came in and the charges were dropped.

Johnson was pulled over for speeding in Gilbert, Arizona. According to the police, he was stopped by after driving forty miles per hour in a twenty-five mile per hour zone. He was also suspected of driving while impaired "to the slightest degree", but was released without being booked or charged. The Bears waived Johnson a few days after hearing the news, as general manager Jerry Angelo stated that he had no room for error left. [27] The incident would prove to be the final straw in his already tense relationship with the Bears' organization. The Bears ultimately released Johnson on June 25, claiming he "compromised the credibility" of the team.[28] Almost a week after Johnson was waived, the results from a blood test conducted on Johnson when he was pulled over confirmed his blood alcohol content was under the legal limit.

:huh: