Where will Benson go, and....

nfoligno

It doesn't matter what his salary is. He'll get picked up.

The fact that his salary is low will only add to it.

As it has already been said, guys who get picked in the top 5 get extra chances regardless of how bad they are off the field.

If PacMan can find a suitor, I see no reason Benson can't. Pacman was traded for by Dallas, giving up (I think) a 4th round pick, and it was not even known at the time whether he would be allowed to play this year. Heck, it is still not known.

Top 10 picks, not to mention top 5, always seem to be given additional chances. Benson will get a contract w/ another team, though I do agree it is most likely to be a one year deal.

HUGE difference in positions. How many good cornerbacks are waiting to be signed? I can't think of any. How many good running-backs? Shaun Alexander, Travis Henry, Cedric Benson, Ron Dayne . . . maybe those 4 aren't "good" but they're definitely big names.

I agree that at some point someone will give Cedric another chance. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's November before that happens.

PacMan was an example. Point is, go back and take a look at top 10 picks who were busts, and list how many didn't get a shot w/ another team. That is going to be one short list.

Look at Thomas Jones. High pick bust for AZ. Went to TB, and a nice backup, little more. Broke out w/ his 3rd team.

It is examples like that which push GMs to continually give highly touted prospects more and more chances.

Pacman was just an example. While he "may" have shown more on the field, and I am not even sure I agree w/ that, his off-fiels issues are FAR worse, and I mean far.

Teams are going to look at Ced's performance on the field like this: The Bears offense sucked, really hasn't done much in his first 3 years. They have never had a good QB and a consistent passing game to take the pressure off the running game. With TJ there they never really let him be the man so he couldn't get into a groove running. Last year their Oline was absolutely horrible and couldn't have opened a hole in a pinata. Given all that, it's hard to really evaluate Ced, let's bring him in and see what he's got. The risk is minimal, if we're wrong we can cut with no cap hit.

Expect Ced to get signed by someone although I think teams would like to see him exonerated in this recent DUI case first. I just don't think they'll be able to wait that long if they want him off the waiver wire.

Granted...but another thing they will factor in, which you didn't mention, is his history of injury.

Teams are going to look at Ced's performance on the field like this: The Bears offense sucked, really hasn't done much in his first 3 years. They have never had a good QB and a consistent passing game to take the pressure off the running game. With TJ there they never really let him be the man so he couldn't get into a groove running. Last year their Oline was absolutely horrible and couldn't have opened a hole in a pinata. Given all that, it's hard to really evaluate Ced, let's bring him in and see what he's got. The risk is minimal, if we're wrong we can cut with no cap hit.

Expect Ced to get signed by someone although I think teams would like to see him exonerated in this recent DUI case first. I just don't think they'll be able to wait that long if they want him off the waiver wire.