Where will Benson go, and....

nfoligno

Where will Benson go, and what will it mean.

Houston - No doubt they have a need. Ahman Green is only getting older and slower. They were even desperate enough to bring in Chris Brown. Houston has upgraded their OL over the last two years. They have a pretty good QB, with a pretty good backup. And they have one of the best WRs in the game. In Houston, Benson would have a shot to fight for a starting job, and if won, could actually have a chance to do well.

Denver - They have no true franchise back on the roster, and felt RB was a great enough need to add Michael Pittman. This is a team where RBs find it much easier to gain 1,000 yards, and frankly, is a good fit for Benson. One cut running style, and a passing offense good enough to keep defenses out of the box.

Dallas - I have seen this mentioned, but don't see it. They just gave Barber a huge contract extension, and also drafted Felix Jones. If Benson went to Dallas, he likely would never see the field, and as he doesn't play special teams, I do not see this as even being feasable.

Oakland - Another team I have heard mentioned, though maybe only as a joke. After taking McFadden and re-signing Fargas, not to mention already being over-loaded at RB, this just does not make sense.

AZ - you can argue they have need. Edge has only slowed down, and they lack depth, but I feel this is a poor fit. Benson is not a strong pass blocker, and that is a need in AZ, especially as their OL is average, at best.

Buffalo - We all know how much Jauron loved to add ex-bears, and this would actually make sense. They really only have one RB, and he is in more trouble than Benson.

NYJ - How funny would this be? NY supposedly wanted McFadden, and is not content w/ TJ, despite the love he receives from Bear fans. But this is not a good team, and Benson would likely fail here as well.

Sea - They did just sign Julius Jones, but most believe he is best as a 1-2 punch, as he was in Dallas w/ Barber. Seattle lacks quality depth, and could view Benson as a good fit along side Jones. He would not be a top tier RB in Seattle, but could be a "nice" player.

Most teams are most likely to look at Benson as a backup/competition addition, but the way I see it, Houston and Denver would be his best two opportunities to do something. Most other places, he would likely be a depth chart backup, and another forgotten bust.

My top 6 bets in order are as follows....

1. Houston - could be worth the chance

2. Denver - Ratahan thinks he can turn turd into gold...but just brought in Pittman

3. AZ - I can see it...not sure enough about how the HC would like it

4. WAS - Something tells me they will try anything once

5. Detroit - if only to get more info about the Bears

6. SD - They just unloaded Turner and need someone to spell LT. WOuld almost work in similar fashion to the Bears w/ TJ

Where will Benson go, and what will it mean.

Houston - No doubt they have a need. Ahman Green is only getting older and slower. They were even desperate enough to bring in Chris Brown. Houston has upgraded their OL over the last two years. They have a pretty good QB, with a pretty good backup. And they have one of the best WRs in the game. In Houston, Benson would have a shot to fight for a starting job, and if won, could actually have a chance to do well.

Denver - They have no true franchise back on the roster, and felt RB was a great enough need to add Michael Pittman. This is a team where RBs find it much easier to gain 1,000 yards, and frankly, is a good fit for Benson. One cut running style, and a passing offense good enough to keep defenses out of the box.

Dallas - I have seen this mentioned, but don't see it. They just gave Barber a huge contract extension, and also drafted Felix Jones. If Benson went to Dallas, he likely would never see the field, and as he doesn't play special teams, I do not see this as even being feasable.

Oakland - Another team I have heard mentioned, though maybe only as a joke. After taking McFadden and re-signing Fargas, not to mention already being over-loaded at RB, this just does not make sense.

AZ - you can argue they have need. Edge has only slowed down, and they lack depth, but I feel this is a poor fit. Benson is not a strong pass blocker, and that is a need in AZ, especially as their OL is average, at best.

Buffalo - We all know how much Jauron loved to add ex-bears, and this would actually make sense. They really only have one RB, and he is in more trouble than Benson.

NYJ - How funny would this be? NY supposedly wanted McFadden, and is not content w/ TJ, despite the love he receives from Bear fans. But this is not a good team, and Benson would likely fail here as well.

Sea - They did just sign Julius Jones, but most believe he is best as a 1-2 punch, as he was in Dallas w/ Barber. Seattle lacks quality depth, and could view Benson as a good fit along side Jones. He would not be a top tier RB in Seattle, but could be a "nice" player.

Most teams are most likely to look at Benson as a backup/competition addition, but the way I see it, Houston and Denver would be his best two opportunities to do something. Most other places, he would likely be a depth chart backup, and another forgotten bust.

2474953260064918312PYpglS_th.jpg

Will go to.....

2603627670064918312CmLEpy_th.jpg

And the result will be McDonald's adopting a new era of beer battered cheeseburgers and Ronald will be shown the door!!!

I really wish I had photo shop his face in that mcd's pic.... that'd be worth saving as a signature!!!

John Clayton doesn't think any team will give Benson a call unless there's an injury or a team realizes its RBs all suck in training camp. I agree with that view because of all his injuries and lack both performance and dedication. I also think if/when somebody calls, it's likely to be a one-year, minimum salary offer.

John Clayton doesn't think any team will give Benson a call unless there's an injury or a team realizes its RBs all suck in training camp. I agree with that view because of all his injuries and lack both performance and dedication. I also think if/when somebody calls, it's likely to be a one-year, minimum salary offer.

I heard this analysis as well and agree. I would further go on to say I think that his chances of succeeding in this league are now slim and none. 15 yrs from now he will be coaching some high school football team in BF Texas and will be kicking himself in the arse for flushing his shot down the toilet.

Peace

If PacMan can find a suitor, I see no reason Benson can't. Pacman was traded for by Dallas, giving up (I think) a 4th round pick, and it was not even known at the time whether he would be allowed to play this year. Heck, it is still not known.

Top 10 picks, not to mention top 5, always seem to be given additional chances. Benson will get a contract w/ another team, though I do agree it is most likely to be a one year deal.

If PacMan can find a suitor, I see no reason Benson can't. Pacman was traded for by Dallas, giving up (I think) a 4th round pick, and it was not even known at the time whether he would be allowed to play this year. Heck, it is still not known.

Top 10 picks, not to mention top 5, always seem to be given additional chances. Benson will get a contract w/ another team, though I do agree it is most likely to be a one year deal.

I'm not convinced he won't get picked up on waivers. His salary this year is 820k and 1.05 mil next year. That's cheap for even a backup RB. Also any team picking him up can release him before the season and take no cap hit at all. I really think that SOMEONE will pick him up on waivers if only so they can kick the tires during TC.

But Pacman performed on the field...and in a position that's pretty hard to find FA's...

Agreed. After reading an article mentioning his salary numbers (as you posted) I realized picking him up off waivers was little different than signing him to a one year deal. Extra year, but $ is about equal (factoring veteran minimum) and though there is the extra year, like you said, they can cut him at any time.

In fact, I would say grabbing him off waivers is the better deal as they would have him cheap for two years.

He performed on the field? I know he did well as a returner, but I was not under the impression he ever did anything worth speaking of as a CB.

While PacMan "may" have done more on the field, is that not offset by the vastly greater level of his off-field issues?

I could be wrong, but I thought he showed decent signs of being a good CB. Maybe my recolection is off... But he certainly wasn't injury prone.

Oh, his off field issues are huge! But, I think he's viewed as a better athlete/player than Benson. Especially at CB, where good ones are very tough to find. Thus making him a more attractive risk.

He performed on the field? I know he did well as a returner, but I was not under the impression he ever did anything worth speaking of as a CB.

While PacMan "may" have done more on the field, is that not offset by the vastly greater level of his off-field issues?

Okay, how about Mike Williams. That's just an example, but the point is, at most any position, if a player is drafted high enough, you can pretty much always count on another team giving him an opportunity. While I am sure there are examples to the contrary, I think they are far and away the exception and not the rule.

Over the years, there have been MANY top 5 or top 10 busts, and if you look at the list, I think you will virtually always find another team gave that player a 2nd opportunity, and often you will find a 3rd or 4th team as well.

Sure...I'm just saying that I can easily more teams trying to get a Pacman than a Benson or a WIlliams for that matter. Even if you go with the pure return element of it... There is just more consistency of some success.

Sure...you do see that. Even Cade found a another home for a mintue. But, the usual end result is "bust" with a small few exceptions. (Which would make the rule.)

Okay, how about Mike Williams. That's just an example, but the point is, at most any position, if a player is drafted high enough, you can pretty much always count on another team giving him an opportunity. While I am sure there are examples to the contrary, I think they are far and away the exception and not the rule.

Over the years, there have been MANY top 5 or top 10 busts, and if you look at the list, I think you will virtually always find another team gave that player a 2nd opportunity, and often you will find a 3rd or 4th team as well.

If I remember correctly, he had a below average rookie season (as a corner), but had a pretty solid 2nd season. I think he's considered a "good" corner, who's still young and has a lot of potential (on the field).