The D didn't like Ced...

madlithuanian

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

BEARS DEFENSE WASN’T FOND OF CEDRIC BENSON

Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2008, 10:40 a.m.

Cedric Benson may be convinced that the police in Texas have him in their crosshairs but his problems with uniformed groups didn’t end when he crossed the state line.

According to Jay Glazer, Benson was not well-liked by his teammates on the Bears either. He went on Dan Patrick’s radio program yesterday, via MJD at Yahoo! Sports, and recounted a tale from the 2006 training camp. Thomas Jones and Lovie Smith were feuding and some Bears vets felt that Benson was getting handed the starting job prematurely, an idea they couldn’t get behind. “Hell, one year they tried to hurt him to make sure that Thomas Jones was going to be the starter. That’s how bad it was with that team,” Glazer told Patrick.

When Patrick asked if he got the information from a Bears player, Glazer responded “No, it wasn’t a Bears defensive player. It was about ten of them.”

That’s enough to drive a man to drink his sorrows away.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone agrees the 2006 version of the team wasn't thrilled with Benson getting playing time over Jones. Everyone out here, even the ones who thought Benson had a chance of showing something positive this season, would agree with that. The question was going to be the attitude of the 08 Benson.

That was probably one of the only positive things from Benson's career here, the fact that the defense didn't like him got him more motivated to prove himself. That showed in the 06 season when he undoubtably had his best year here. Then when in 07 he didn't have anything to prove to anyone, because he was annointed the starter, he did not produce.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

BEARS DEFENSE WASN’T FOND OF CEDRIC BENSON

Posted by Josh Alper on June 11, 2008, 10:40 a.m.

Cedric Benson may be convinced that the police in Texas have him in their crosshairs but his problems with uniformed groups didn’t end when he crossed the state line.

According to Jay Glazer, Benson was not well-liked by his teammates on the Bears either. He went on Dan Patrick’s radio program yesterday, via MJD at Yahoo! Sports, and recounted a tale from the 2006 training camp. Thomas Jones and Lovie Smith were feuding and some Bears vets felt that Benson was getting handed the starting job prematurely, an idea they couldn’t get behind. “Hell, one year they tried to hurt him to make sure that Thomas Jones was going to be the starter. That’s how bad it was with that team,” Glazer told Patrick.

When Patrick asked if he got the information from a Bears player, Glazer responded “No, it wasn’t a Bears defensive player. It was about ten of them.”

That’s enough to drive a man to drink his sorrows away.

Jay Glazer can stick his head in his rear with this "ten of them" nonsense. Until I hear names, the guy is full of it, and no better than PFFFFFFFT.

What incentive would the D have to hurt Benson? None. It would only have made the team worse, regardless if they liked the guy or not.

I call BS on this old story that was never proven back then, and won't be proven now.

It didnt seem like anyone on the team liked him. Think of how many times you heard players backing Grossman, Briggs and even Tank Johnson. You never heard thst about Benson. I remember hearing the story about the defense hurting him in practice. If I remember correctly I think Mike Brown was part of it.

You know he won't name names...so asking him to do it is silly.

The guy could very well be full of it. But there does seem to be some merit to it. It is from PFT,etc...so take it for what it is. But it does lend some weight to the overall "CB isn't liked in the locker room" theory.

The incentive would have been to get TJ the starting spot without giving up carries to a guy that has no heart...that no one likes. Do I agree with it...no. But, I sure as heck understand it. And, having played in high school, I can tell you that this kind of junk went on then...and from I hear, the pro mentality isn't all that much different.

Jay Glazer can stick his head in his rear with this "ten of them" nonsense. Until I hear names, the guy is full of it, and no better than PFFFFFFFT.

What incentive would the D have to hurt Benson? None. It would only have made the team worse, regardless if they liked the guy or not.

I call BS on this old story that was never proven back then, and won't be proven now.

It was a fun conspiracy theory back in the day. As I recall, it went deeper than simply some players liking TJ over Benson. As the story went, TJ was represented by Rosenarce, as were numerous other players on the defense. Briggs in particular, another Rosenarce client, was pretty tight w/ TJ. Briggs, a leader on the defense, worked the locker room against Benson. And defensive players went after Benson in practices.

Not saying all that is true, just how I recall the story from back in the day.

Personally, I am not sure the players were specifically trying to injur Benson, but at the same time, I think it is believable the defense liked TJ and not Benson, and thus gave Benson extra pop in practice. That isn't to say they were specically trying to hurt him or ruin his career, so much as to simply hit him harder and punish him in a way. If he can take it, and even give back, Benson would have had the opportunity to gain respect. By crying about it, he lost respect, and the lightly painted target on his jersey was emboldened.

Good thoughts...

I think you may be right...but I suppose we'll all never know unless someone writes a tell-all book.

It was a fun conspiracy theory back in the day. As I recall, it went deeper than simply some players liking TJ over Benson. As the story went, TJ was represented by Rosenarce, as were numerous other players on the defense. Briggs in particular, another Rosenarce client, was pretty tight w/ TJ. Briggs, a leader on the defense, worked the locker room against Benson. And defensive players went after Benson in practices.

Personally, I am not sure the players were specifically trying to injur Benson, but at the same time, I think it is believable the defense liked TJ and not Benson, and thus gave Benson extra pop in practice. That isn't to say they were specically trying to hurt him or ruin his career, so much as to simply hit him harder and punish him in a way. If he can take it, and even give back, Benson would have had the opportunity to gain respect. By crying about it, he lost respect, and the lightly painted target on his jersey was emboldened.

That's precisely how I remember it.

The fact that Briggs would do that to a teammate and potentially harm him and potentially harm the team is pretty BS and a coward move IHO. I don't care if you like the guy or not. I played on team where I didn't like some players, but I would never try and hurt them on purpose because it would hurt the team.

To me that shows Briggs is a coward and a poor teammate.

The fact that Briggs would do that to a teammate and potentially harm him and potentially harm the team is pretty BS and a coward move IHO. I don't care if you like the guy or not. I played on team where I didn't like some players, but I would never try and hurt them on purpose because it would hurt the team.

To me that shows Briggs is a coward and a poor teammate.

Briggs was not the one given credit for hurting Benson in practice. That was Urlacher & Mike Brown. Neither are Rosenass clients. When Benson was hurt, the video was out of the 2 hits by Urlacher & Brown and it seemed pretty normal IMO. Maybe it was a little hard for a scrimmage, but standard for what you see on any given Sunday.

The fact that Briggs was tight with TJ probably didn't help Cedric. But we've constantly heard stories about Cedric not being interested in football, goofing around, not taking it seriously, and so on.

If Cedric acted like he gave a shit, he'd still be with the team.

I think it's common for defensive players to "send a message" to an offensive player. I have no problem with a guy having to earn his starting spot which is likely all that the defense was doing to Ced. He cried about it and I think that's where it became something bigger than what it should have been. Ced is more than big enough to dish out a solid hit on a defensive player too.

I think it's common for defensive players to "send a message" to an offensive player. I have no problem with a guy having to earn his starting spot which is likely all that the defense was doing to Ced. He cried about it and I think that's where it became something bigger than what it should have been. Ced is more than big enough to dish out a solid hit on a defensive player too.

Yes but trying to hurt a teammate so your buddy starts is unacceptable to me. If you dont like a dude or think he is acting bad pull him aside and talk man to man. I remember seeing those hits and thought it was a little weird. And if Mike Brown hurt Benson with a cheap shot like that, its seems karma got him back last year.

I think there is a HUGE difference from sending a message of hard hits vs. cheap shots.

I don't believe anyone, even Benson, accused the D of cheap shotting him.

Mike Brown's been bitten by bad Karma far before that particular incident.

I'd wish you weren't wishing ill will on one of our best players without truly knowing what went down.

Yes but trying to hurt a teammate so your buddy starts is unacceptable to me. If you dont like a dude or think he is acting bad pull him aside and talk man to man. I remember seeing those hits and thought it was a little weird. And if Mike Brown hurt Benson with a cheap shot like that, its seems karma got him back last year.

I think there is a HUGE difference from sending a message of hard hits vs. cheap shots.

I don't believe anyone, even Benson, accused the D of cheap shotting him.

Mike Brown's been bitten by bad Karma far before that particular incident.

I'd wish you weren't wishing ill will on one of our best players without truly knowing what went down.

WHoa, please dont put words into my mouth. I never said I wished ill on anybody. I just noticed the Karma factor.

But everybody on here is saying "Benson deserved it" and all that cause the defense didn't like him. This is the NFL, not junior high. If Benson had a shot to make the team better and Briggs, Url, Brown, etc were hitting him extra hard so he would be dinged up or hurt so their buddy TJ would start, then that is indefensable.

Its bullcrap and I expect better from the "leaders" of our team because ultimately it hurts the team. This is exactly why they dont do physical "hazing" of the rookies anymore like they did in the old days. They make them get water or dress up like girls, because there is too much money invested in these young guys these days. The team might have to depend on one of those guys lining up.

Now, if Cedric Benson's development was hampered, in any way, because of his injury by the defense "sending a message" to Ced because they didn't personally like him, to Lovie because Ced was starting, or to anybody else it has hurt the team. Bottom line. And as a fan, I dont appreciate it.

My intention was not to re-phrase you comments. I apologize for that.

With your noticing of the "Karma factor", you were certianly making an assumption Brown did something dirty and is "paying" for it... It just screams of negative energy, and I don't think that's warranted.

There's such things as rookie hazing as you mention, etc... It's not like the old days, but I bet it goes on regardless in some form. Certain players take their lumps and gain respect. Others don't and lose respect. And in all honesty, do you really think the mentality in the NFL is really all that much different than junior high? This isn't a group of men figuring out the cure for cancer.

Let's a ssume what is being talked about is true. That Urlacher and Brown were hitting Benson with extra mustard because they like TJ better. You then must ask yourself, why? Because he's a good buddy that is fun to be around when you're playing backgamon? No, I'd venture to say because they thought he was significantly better than Benson. And probably becasue they already have seen, first person, that his work ethic is shoddy. So, some could argue, that by taking Benson out of the picture, the team is better with Jones.

And take it one more step further...if those guys on D were willing to do that...are they all just pure evil? I seriously doubt it. I think it tells more about Benson that they were willing to go that far. Benson got bullied. Instead of punching the bully in the mouth, he ran and told the teacher.

I wouldn't appreciate cheap shots...but if those guys are laying extra mustard on him...then that's all good by me. If he can't handle our own D giving him shots, he sure as heck isn't going to be able to handle an opponenet. Have you read about the '85 Bears D laying hard hits on the O? They did it a lot. I didn't hear anyone on the O whine. They gave it back, and earned respect.

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier Benson is out of the mix. Am I happy we wasted a pick, got nothing in return, and didn't address the need properly in the off-season? No. But, I believe this is a pure case of addition by subtraction.

WHoa, please dont put words into my mouth. I never said I wished ill on anybody. I just noticed the Karma factor.

But everybody on here is saying "Benson deserved it" and all that cause the defense didn't like him. This is the NFL, not junior high. If Benson had a shot to make the team better and Briggs, Url, Brown, etc were hitting him extra hard so he would be dinged up or hurt so their buddy TJ would start, then that is indefensable.

Its bullcrap and I expect better from the "leaders" of our team because ultimately it hurts the team. This is exactly why they dont do physical "hazing" of the rookies anymore like they did in the old days. They make them get water or dress up like girls, because there is too much money invested in these young guys these days. The team might have to depend on one of those guys lining up.

Now, if Cedric Benson's development was hampered, in any way, because of his injury by the defense "sending a message" to Ced because they didn't personally like him, to Lovie because Ced was starting, or to anybody else it has hurt the team. Bottom line. And as a fan, I dont appreciate it.

My intention was not to re-phrase you comments. I apologize for that.

With your noticing of the "Karma factor", you were certianly making an assumption Brown did something dirty and is "paying" for it... It just screams of negative energy, and I don't think that's warranted.

There's such things as rookie hazing as you mention, etc... It's not like the old days, but I bet it goes on regardless in some form. Certain players take their lumps and gain respect. Others don't and lose respect. And in all honesty, do you really think the mentality in the NFL is really all that much different than junior high? This isn't a group of men figuring out the cure for cancer.

Let's a ssume what is being talked about is true. That Urlacher and Brown were hitting Benson with extra mustard because they like TJ better. You then must ask yourself, why? Because he's a good buddy that is fun to be around when you're playing backgamon? No, I'd venture to say because they thought he was significantly better than Benson. And probably becasue they already have seen, first person, that his work ethic is shoddy. So, some could argue, that by taking Benson out of the picture, the team is better with Jones.

And take it one more step further...if those guys on D were willing to do that...are they all just pure evil? I seriously doubt it. I think it tells more about Benson that they were willing to go that far. Benson got bullied. Instead of punching the bully in the mouth, he ran and told the teacher.

I wouldn't appreciate cheap shots...but if those guys are laying extra mustard on him...then that's all good by me. If he can't handle our own D giving him shots, he sure as heck isn't going to be able to handle an opponenet. Have you read about the '85 Bears D laying hard hits on the O? They did it a lot. I didn't hear anyone on the O whine. They gave it back, and earned respect.

Bottom line, I couldn't be happier Benson is out of the mix. Am I happy we wasted a pick, got nothing in return, and didn't address the need properly in the off-season? No. But, I believe this is a pure case of addition by subtraction.

Well the NFL is alot different now than in '85. So I'm not sure if you can use that to back up this. That's alot like Gale Sayers trying to relate the two eras. It just doesn't work because the circumstances are much different.

I also think that intentionally hitting a teammate harder because "you dont like him" projects a negative energy that is not needed.

It is also not the defenses job to analyze the running backs and "punish" them accordingly. That is the coaches job to decide who is #1 and #2.

So you are saying that "taking out" Benson was better for the team because Jones, Peterson and PJ Pope is better than Jones, Benson, and Peterson. I dont buy it.

I am not using this as a point to say it was wrong to release Ced Benson cause I am glad he is gone too, but I a not happy with these reports as it is starting to sound like that had something to do with hampering Ced development on the field. And as a fan that wants the best players out there, it angers me.

There's no denying the difference in eras...but the point was that D's and O's had beaten each other up in the past. This is not a new concept. The circumstances are quite different, but the act of a D putting hard hits on an O is not.

Sure, that very well may be negative energy...but your comment put me off. You seem to condemn Brown without even really knowing if he even really did it. Even if he did, I'm going to stick up for Brown any day of the year over Benson. THis incidence seems to be at least somewhat speculative, whereas Borwn's overwhelming leadership and skills have been seen by all for years. And conversely, Benson's bad attitude and hit and miss performance has also been seen. Feel free to bash Brown or stick ip for Benson, I, on the other hand, will put my loyalty on players that want to play for the Bears, practice hard, show leadership and show results on the field. If they want to take out the trash...I'm happy to see it tossed out.

The D can do anything within the guidelines of how practice is set up. They do not control anything directly, as you mention, the coaches do. However, their actions can certainly impact things indirectly. To say, your boss holds your future is wrong. He ultimately makes the choice to fire you, promote you, etc...but your actions, along with how you work with others in and out of your office impacts those decisions.

Sure, in retrospect, I'll say any Bears line-up that doesn't have Benson is better. Maybe with the exception of when Enis played, etc ... Heck, Enis I think had more effort. But, I know what this guy is about, and I don't want him lining up in my backfield. Maybe in the Super bowl, AP doesn't fumble the ball and we win the game. We'll never know. All I know is we have no rings with Benson, so without, I'm not sure it changes...but maybe it would have for the better. Maybe Pope turns into a surprise. Who knows...

I'm just surprised you think Benson is that good. I want the best players too. I just don't think Benson is heads and heels better than AP. Just becasue he was drafted high, doesn't make him good. It's reason enough for some sucker team to give him a whirl...but I really can't see how you're angered by not having him in the backfield. Shouldn't you be more angered at how much money he stole from the team? From you, the fan indirectly? He certainly stole all of our hopes...

Well the NFL is alot different now than in '85. So I'm not sure if you can use that to back up this. That's alot like Gale Sayers trying to relate the two eras. It just doesn't work because the circumstances are much different.

I also think that intentionally hitting a teammate harder because "you dont like him" projects a negative energy that is not needed.

It is also not the defenses job to analyze the running backs and "punish" them accordingly. That is the coaches job to decide who is #1 and #2.

So you are saying that "taking out" Benson was better for the team because Jones, Peterson and PJ Pope is better than Jones, Benson, and Peterson. I dont buy it.

I am not using this as a point to say it was wrong to release Ced Benson cause I am glad he is gone too, but I a not happy with these reports as it is starting to sound like that had something to do with hampering Ced development on the field. And as a fan that wants the best players out there, it angers me.

If Benson had a problem with getting hit too hard in practice he should have lowered his shoulder and hit them back. Complaining about it doesnt help his case. This is the NFL. I cant believe people still defend anything Benson has ever done or said. If he cant handle getting hit with a clean shot in practice without getting hurt maybe he can wait for the WNFL to start and join that league.

He got hit too hard in practice? Seriously?

I think you helped make my point...a lot more bluntly!

If Benson had a problem with getting hit too hard in practice he should have lowered his shoulder and hit them back. Complaining about it doesnt help his case. This is the NFL. I cant believe people still defend anything Benson has ever done or said. If he cant handle getting hit with a clean shot in practice without getting hurt maybe he can wait for the WNFL to start and join that league.

I guess you guys dont really see my point.

Its not about Benson. You can take Benson's name and insert any other players name.

The thing that i am mad about is the report that the defense takes it upon themselves to try and "take out" someone they dont like so their buddy can start. Its not their job to hurt their own teammates and it makes the team worse if they do that.

And I'm sorry Mad, but Benson is better than AP.

Its really dissappointing to me that Brown, Briggs, and Url would take part in that. And its surprises me because Brown knows the effects of cheap shots.

And thank you for making my point. Its the NFL, not the junior high play ground where you pick on somebody because they are against your friend. Its the pros. Its a job. Its about winning. If the d wants to be such tough guys, hit everyone the same.

BUt it is about Benson...

That's why we're having a hard time following you I think.

I think you're falling into the trap of over-simplifying it. The reports do vary a bit...but overall, the gyst is that numerous defenders tried to give Benson extra hard hits because they did not like him. You've got to think it was more than he was just an a-hole. It was probably his attitude, his ethic, his performance in practice, their respect for the solid guy he's trying to unseat,etc... All of that.

I do agree, it's not the D's job to hurt a team-mate. Yes, in the true sense, what they did was inherently wrong. If it were actually found true, they should have been penalized by the team. But, there's not much way to prove it other than a fess up. To me, it's not much different than guys taking a few swings at one another in practice. As long as nothing was done dirty, just take your lumps.

Again, I think you're throwing Brown in a "cheap shot" category unfairly. You know none of this being true for certain, yet keep labeling Brown a cheap shot artist. I think that's unfair. You may attempt to label him a mean and nasty team-mate, but there was never any mention by anyone that cheap shots were taken.

How exactly is Benson better than AP? Can you show me your validation of such? Better YPC? More TD's? Less injuries? More tackles? Better pancakes?

I guess you guys dont really see my point.

Its not about Benson. You can take Benson's name and insert any other players name.

The thing that i am mad about is the report that the defense takes it upon themselves to try and "take out" someone they dont like so their buddy can start. Its not their job to hurt their own teammates and it makes the team worse if they do that.

And I'm sorry Mad, but Benson is better than AP.

Its really dissappointing to me that Brown, Briggs, and Url would take part in that. And its surprises me because Brown knows the effects of cheap shots.

And thank you for making my point. Its the NFL, not the junior high play ground where you pick on somebody because they are against your friend. Its the pros. Its a job. Its about winning. If the d wants to be such tough guys, hit everyone the same.

Its also the defenses job to get the offense ready. Benson was too soft so even if it was out of dislike for him it ultimately is still preparing the offense better. They werent cheap shots. Its about winning? Show me where Benson cared about helping the team win?