Bears DT Harris' stature continues to grow

Pixote

Now that the Bears have made him the league’s highest-paid defensive tackle, is Tommie Harris also ready to become the franchise’s new face in place of star MLB Brian Urlacher, who has filled the role admirably, if not willingly, since making an instant splash as the team’s first-round pick in 2000? “Right now, I’d say Urlacher is still the main team leader,” a longtime team insider told PFW. “But if Harris can stay healthy and has a strong 16-game season in 2008, he could become the new team leader as soon as the next season.” The consensus is that Harris would embrace such a role a lot more so than Urlacher. Not only does Harris take great pride in his considerable charity work and squeaky-clean, God-fearing image; he’s also much more naturally comfortable than Urlacher with the media, almost always displaying an engaging personality that figures to be on public display with increasing frequency.

So let's say Urlacher and Harris BOTH have outstanding years, BOTH voted to the Pro Bowl, BOTH considered the best at their respective positions by the end of the year, do you think Urlacher remains the main "figure head" of the Chicago Bears or does Tommie Harris' surge in popularity and his more comfortable style with the media make him the new "poster child" of the Bears?

So let's say Urlacher and Harris BOTH have outstanding years, BOTH voted to the Pro Bowl, BOTH considered the best at their respective positions by the end of the year, do you think Urlacher remains the main "figure head" of the Chicago Bears or does Tommie Harris' surge in popularity and his more comfortable style with the media make him the new "poster child" of the Bears?

I really don't think Brian has done a very admirable job as the team leader at least in the role of face to the public. He is very uncomfortable in front of the camera. He can tend to act childish when he is upset (case in point last yr). I think he would love to fade into the background and let someone else take that role. Tommie would be the perfect choice.

I would love to see someone on the offensive side of the ball step into this role.

Peace :dabears

I really don't think Brian has done a very admirable job as the team leader at least in the role of face to the public. He is very uncomfortable in front of the camera. He can tend to act childish when he is upset (case in point last yr). I think he would love to fade into the background and let someone else take that role. Tommie would be the perfect choice.

I would love to see someone on the offensive side of the ball step into this role.

Peace :dabears

Hey Connor, I beg to differ on your thought process with Urlacher. I think Brian has handled the pressure very well since he was instantly placed under a microscope when he was drafted and the media is able to be a pain in the ass in their ever probing ways. To have been under this much scrutiny since arriving Brian has done well.

I think that if both have incredible seasons this year, then both will be appointed the faces of the franchise. Brian may do his best to blend back into the back round however, having been such a key figure of this team for so long, Brian will not be able to fade to far from the limelight.

Sorry, but gotta agree w/ Conner. Early on, Urlacher seemed the good boy, but since then, more and more makes you wonder how much star status went to his head. From his marriage issues to Paris freaking Hilton, to the very hateful custody battle, to the whining w/ the media, etc.

No, sorry, but I do not think he has handled it well. Since he put the star on his door, he began living a life that simply seems different from the one he lived all his life. Last year, his antics w/ the media was simply pathetic, and to follow that up w/ his whining about money and threats of retirement and holdout this year, well, I just feel his leadership is lacking.

Has Urlacher even been a leader?

In terms of being the face for the franchise, that may always be. MLB and RB are simply two positions Chicago are famous for. We have had great players at other positions, but the LB and the RB are simply above the rest. So by the simple fact that Urlacher is a MLB, I think he is simply going to continue to be the face of the organization, though I think he will more and more find it more like Mt. Rushmore w/ multiple faces in the mix (Harris & Hester).

But in terms of leadership in the locker room, I think the change has already begun. The reality is, Urlacher was never much of a leader. I always read about how he might lead by example, but he was not one to really speak out. He had the instincts on the field to feel where the play was going, but not the ability to help direct those around him (ala Mike Brown).

An example I would go back to is film study. This was always an area Urlacher was criticized some for not putting enough time into. I guess he felt he was a stud and didn't need it, but I specificially recall Singletary calling out Urlacher on this. Anyway, if you are telling the rest of the team (though actions) that film study is just not that important, are you really leading.

Urlacher is a freak and a stud. But I have always questioned the idea of his being a leader. Harris' face may never have the marketing value of Urlacher, but his voice can carry much further.

I think it'll still be Urlacher. The average run of the mill fan dictates these kinds of things, and until he's truly supplanted or retires, Urlacher will be the face of the team. We can argue whether he's the leader,etc...but regardless, the average joe public thinks Urlacher is the Bears.

Sorry, but gotta agree w/ Conner. Early on, Urlacher seemed the good boy, but since then, more and more makes you wonder how much star status went to his head. From his marriage issues to Paris freaking Hilton, to the very hateful custody battle, to the whining w/ the media, etc.

No, sorry, but I do not think he has handled it well. Since he put the star on his door, he began living a life that simply seems different from the one he lived all his life. Last year, his antics w/ the media was simply pathetic, and to follow that up w/ his whining about money and threats of retirement and holdout this year, well, I just feel his leadership is lacking.

How much it went to his head? What exactly has he done that makes him seem like anything went to his head? Since he put the star on his door? Where are you getting this stuff from? Living a different life than hes lived his whole life...Also, as far as his "hateful" custody battle. He was trying to get full custody of his daughter, Im not sure how that makes someone a bad guy for wanting custody of their children and I also ont see how his marriage, children or who he dates affects anything on the field. You may think he isnt a good leader but I can give you about 52 guys that do.

Harris and I think Urlachers contract demands aren't indicative of a team first attitude. Nor do I like the way he's gone public with his request. Urlacher is without a doubt one of the leaders of the team but I think the torch is passing to Harris, rather I think Harris is going to take the torch.

Harris and I think Urlachers contract demands aren't indicative of a team first attitude. Nor do I like the way he's gone public with his request. Urlacher is without a doubt one of the leaders of the team but I think the torch is passing to Harris, rather I think Harris is going to take the torch.

I agree with that to a point. Harris is doing the right things and his timing is good with Urlachers contract dispute. However, I think theres more to being a leader than that. It takes a while for players as talented as NFL athletes to respect you enough to consider you a leader and Im not saying Tommie has or hasnt done it yet but we know Urlacher has.

i think Urlacher is the face of the Bears until he retires...Harris might be the leader of the Bears in the locker room