Looking at big picture, Grossman starting small

DrunkBomber

Rex doesn't fumble because his hands are small, he fumbles because in traffic he keeps the ball out away from his body. He does this, IMO, because he continues to want to make a positive play even when it isn't possible. He has to learn to just protect the ball when it isn't there.

Rex INT to Jason Taylor was not on an out route, it was a lousy attempt at hitting a guy on a check down route. I'm not trying to argue over little details, my point is that he attempted to do the right thing (which he had been criticized for not doing) and still got burned. I compare Rex to a point guard in basketball who has good ball handling skills but just can't make passes in traffic. Some guys have an ability to read where everyone is going and pass the ball to an open guy even while double or triple teamed. Other guards can make nice open passes, hit some jumpers for you, drive the lane occasionally but when double teamed they rush their passes and things don't flow smoothly. Steve Nash is not the best athlete on the floor but when you watch him he makes things seem easy. Same goes for QBs like Brady, often what he's doing just looks easy.

I don't see that ability in Rex and I haven't seen it in Orton either. When Rex first played for us I thought he had some of that ability to just feel his way around. After his leg injury I haven't seen it again. I haven't seen it in Orton either. I don't know if this is something you can develop or do you just "have it". Rex can do the footwork practices all he wants but if I were Pep I'd be devising some way to replicate a pocket collapsing around the QB and making these guys throw from a different spot than where they first setup in the pocket. Even then it won't compare to reality because they'd have to make the right read based on the pass coverage.

Be honest, the small hands don't help...and how do you account for the all the botched snaps? And don't say Kruetz...Jim Miller never had that problem.

I stand corrected on my Jason Taylor comment. But I still think Rex's poor visibility, poor pocket pressence, and gunslinger mentality are big liabilities.

I think Rex had had enough time to "learn" it...I think he just doesn't have it by now. Orton, since we don't know a whole about, there is hope for. I'm not saying bet the house, I'm just saying it's at least worth a $1 on a lottery ticket.

Rex doesn't fumble because his hands are small, he fumbles because in traffic he keeps the ball out away from his body. He does this, IMO, because he continues to want to make a positive play even when it isn't possible. He has to learn to just protect the ball when it isn't there.

Rex INT to Jason Taylor was not on an out route, it was a lousy attempt at hitting a guy on a check down route. I'm not trying to argue over little details, my point is that he attempted to do the right thing (which he had been criticized for not doing) and still got burned. I compare Rex to a point guard in basketball who has good ball handling skills but just can't make passes in traffic. Some guys have an ability to read where everyone is going and pass the ball to an open guy even while double or triple teamed. Other guards can make nice open passes, hit some jumpers for you, drive the lane occasionally but when double teamed they rush their passes and things don't flow smoothly. Steve Nash is not the best athlete on the floor but when you watch him he makes things seem easy. Same goes for QBs like Brady, often what he's doing just looks easy.

I don't see that ability in Rex and I haven't seen it in Orton either. When Rex first played for us I thought he had some of that ability to just feel his way around. After his leg injury I haven't seen it again. I haven't seen it in Orton either. I don't know if this is something you can develop or do you just "have it". Rex can do the footwork practices all he wants but if I were Pep I'd be devising some way to replicate a pocket collapsing around the QB and making these guys throw from a different spot than where they first setup in the pocket. Even then it won't compare to reality because they'd have to make the right read based on the pass coverage.