Looking at big picture, Grossman starting small

DrunkBomber

Staying after practice and working alongside long-shot rookies is part of Rex Grossman's resurrection plan

David Haugh | On the Bears

June 1, 2008

Rex Grossman is dragging a blocking dummy.

Long after Friday's first mini-camp session ended, the practice fields behind Halas Hall have emptied except for Grossman and fellow quarterbacks Nick Hill and Caleb Hanie.

Hill and Hanie are rookies who were undrafted. Grossman, of course, is a 2003 first-rounder whose career has come undone.

Quarterbacks coach Pep Hamilton puts all three through footwork and passing drills they probably have been doing since they were teenagers with NFL dreams. There are no defenders or receivers, only cones, balls and dummies.

They high-step through orange traffic cones and throw downfield against their bodies to stationary targets. They aim spirals at the goal post from 20 yards away to see how many times they can hit it in one minute. There is one footwork exercise in which a bungee cord is attached to the waists of the quarterbacks as they drop back.

After one accuracy drill, Grossman hits the ground to do 10 finger-tip push-ups alongside Hill. This monotony goes on for nearly half an hour.

If the three players weren't wearing orange jerseys with their numbers, it would be hard to tell which quarterback is competing for a starting job despite 34 NFL starts and which are fighting for a roster spot.

This is usually the time and place backup quarterbacks hone their skills repetition after repetition, trying to get good enough to become starters. This is the remote territory where Grossman's career sits.

Just a year ago, Grossman was the undisputed leader of an offense coming off a Super Bowl matchup against Peyton Manning. Now he's volunteering to stay late for extra passing drills with roster marginalia.

No amount of extra practice will make him any taller. But he can get a lot better in many fundamental areas, and based on his off-season work habits, Grossman clearly gets that.

He also realizes the road back to NFL respectability will include many post-practice detours such as this one if he wants to beat out Kyle Orton and become the quarterback he always has envisioned being.

Not mastering the little things got in the way of Grossman's plan to do big things in 2007. As a result, there are no assumptions about Grossman's role heading into this season, no delicious sense of anticipation that always has been associated with No. 8 this time of year.

Despite losing his job because of injury against the Redskins in December, Grossman has lost the benefit of the doubt on a team full of them. The Bears' offense has starting spots open at left tackle, left guard, running back, wide receiver and, yes, quarterback.

All the hubbub lately over Cedric Benson's arrest and Brian Urlacher's demands and other off-the-field issues have obscured the reality that, on the field, the Bears still have many more questions than answers, especially on offense.

Nobody symbolizes that uncertainty more than Grossman, who signed a one-year, $4.5 million save-my-career contract in February to return for a sixth season with the Bears. But when it starts at training camp in Bourbonnais on July 23, he is assured of nothing but a farmer's tan.

"It's a new year," Lovie Smith repeated Friday for emphasis. "Nothing's guaranteed."

Grossman has looked as sharp as ever. His balls have zip and he has hit receivers in stride. But there's no contact, no pass rush and no pressure. Orton has made just as many good throws, turned just as many heads, delivered his own solid opening statement.

None of it means anything at this point. Nobody wins or loses a starting job at mini-camp, where performances are overanalyzed and comments parsed for meaning that often isn't there.

So far Orton has said all the right things, sounding confident and competent, as if he was paying attention last season when Brian Griese was showing him how to handle himself as a professional. Grossman blew off the first two scheduled interview opportunities this off-season—New Rex?—but he has learned that nothing he says will matter a lick compared with what he does.

"It is what it is," he said of the open competition. "I am doing my job and not commenting on anything else."

His future will be decided by execution, not elocution. One of the two quarterbacks will be named the starter during the preseason and sooner is preferable to later for everybody. The other guy? He will accept the backup role and perhaps begin to ponder life after Chicago.

"I think the guys know how both of us play and are comfortable with both of us playing, so I don't think that that's the case," Orton said. "We have a lot of leaders on the team and Rex and I are both capable of leading the offense."

Circle Aug. 18 on your calendar, Bears fans. That's the Monday following the Bears' second preseason game against the Seahawks in Seattle and the date Smith really shouldn't go past in deciding between Grossman and Orton.

Start one against the Kansas City Chiefs on Aug. 7 (probably Orton). Start the other on the road against the Seahawks on Aug. 16. Give Grossman and Orton each two consecutive quarters per game to evaluate the competition fairly.

At that point, it will be appropriate to draw a conclusion. At this point you can only pay attention to clues.

By mid-August, the evidence should make this an easier choice than it seems right now.

Didn't we read the same story last year? This is good to hear but I agree with the author in that none of it will matter until there's a blitz on. Then can he make the right read?

Not at all. Last year he was handed the job and was coming off the Super Bowl. This year he is in an open competition and is running drills with undrafted free agent quarterbacks trying to improve. Im not saying it will work, but at least he knows what his weaknesses are and is trying to work on them. To be honest, Im thinking maybe Pep Hamilton might need to be fired. He has qbs with talent but cant get them to work through any of their problems.

That is just what I was thinking as I read this. I had to check the date of the article again to make sure it was current.

Rex has always done all the right things and said all the right things. Effort is not his problem. His problem is how he handles the pressure of the rush.

Last year he was coming off a SB in which he played like crap. Further, while we were in the SB, Rex was pretty bad the 2nd half of the season, and he knew it. In camp last year, there were absolutely stories like this about how hard he was working on fundamentals and such.

Regarding Pep, not saying it isn't his fault, but (a) I believe our QB issues pre-date his arrival and (B) Turner is supposed to be good w/ QBs and has supposedly been working w/ Rex for a while now, so how much falls on him.

As for the last line, I had to laugh a bit. QBs w/ talent? Hey, every QB in the league has talent. They would not be getting an NFL paycheck if they didn't. But not every QB w/ talent has what it takes to start in the NFL, and as much as fans do not want to admit it, that may simply be the case for our group.

Pep has had one year to fix Grossman's struggles which aren't related to throwing mechanics. Give him time and he's fine. His issues are his decision making under pressure. He got 3 games at the start of the year to show improvement and he failed. IMO the coaching on those decisions comes more from Turner than Pep. I certainly questioned a lot of what Turner did last year.

I like Rex for all the reasons mentioned in the article and so many more. The guy is a great teammate and very talented and I just hope somehow the light "switches" on for him. Even if he fails I won't have a negative taste about Grossman. Cade McNown, yes. Cedric Benson, yes. Rex Grossman, no.

I feel similarly for Orton, but believe in Grossman's physical abilities much more than Orton's.

I feel similarly for Orton, but believe in Grossman's physical abilities much more than Orton's.

Why? Serious question. Orton has bigger size, and IMHO, seems more capable of moving in the pocket. Rex is may not be the statue Jim Miller was, but is he far from it? About the only physical ability Rex may have on Orton is arm strength, but even that is questionable IMHO, as we have yet to see the team allow Orton to open things up. We have seen Orton twice. Once as a rookie, w/ a dumbed down system, and again after not playing for a long time, again, in a dumbed down system. Orton was supposed to have good arm strength (pre draft reports). We have yet to see that, but I wonder if that is due to his inability or circumstances not allowing him to play in a system like Rex.

But back to the question. What physical abilities do you think Rex has over Orton.

Rex has a quicker release, stronger arm, and is ridiculously more accurate (Rex is actually a very very accurate passer). So that is more than one area where Rex wins. I also can't say that Kyle is more mobile than Rex (neither are mobile).

Kyle is taller, which helps him see the field and obviously there are intangibles like reading the defenses but neither have proven to excel at that, at least not yet. And at the same time, neither have had great weapons to work with.

I am perplexed. Rex may be more accurate than Orton, even though I don't feel we've seen enough of Orton to appropriately make that call. But, I cannot call Rex a VERY VERY accurate passer. Marino was a VERY VERY accurate passer. Joe Montana was a VERY VERY accurate passer. You can ask Jason Taylor how accurate he is as he hit him right on the numbers against Miami a few years ago.

Sorry, but there's no way I can remotely buy an arguement that Rex is a VERY VERY accurate passer.

Just last year alone his accuracy was rated 32 out of 33. Even Tavaris Jackson is rated higher!

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...amp;Submit=Find

Rex has a quicker release, stronger arm, and is ridiculously more accurate (Rex is actually a very very accurate passer). So that is more than one area where Rex wins. I also can't say that Kyle is more mobile than Rex (neither are mobile).

Kyle is taller, which helps him see the field and obviously there are intangibles like reading the defenses but neither have proven to excel at that, at least not yet. And at the same time, neither have had great weapons to work with.

Agreed. Rex has never proven to be that accurate of a passer. His best season, in terms of accuracy, was 56%. Hardy "very very accurate". His last two seasons, when he played significantly, his numbers were 54.6% and 54.2%. That is closer to bad than "very very accurate".

He does have a quicker release, but at the same time, that quicker release is negated by his inability and slowness to read defenses.

As for stronger arm, as I have already said, IMHO that is yet to be seen. Orton was considered to have a strong arm in the draft. Maybe that is bogus, but the two opportunities he had to play (rookie year and late last year) he seemed to be playing in a dumbed down system where he was trying not to make mistakes more than he was trying to move the offense and win games. That is one reason I am curious to see this years camp. I have to imagine that if there is truly an open competition, both QBs will be playing the same scheme. If Orton truly lacks arm strength, we will know soon enough.

I have to pile on here, as well, with some stats. Let me 1st give my stat disclaimer: Stats can be used in many arguments, but it's hard to determine skill level through passing stats, as the variables going into them can make them look better or worse to untrained eyes. Stats can also be mis-leading when it comes to effectiveness and leadership.

Rex gets sacked 1 out 9 pass attempts to Kyle's 1 in 40. Rex throws a pick 1 in 32 times, while Kyle throws 1 in 40. Also, add in that Rex had 6 fumbles to Kyle's 2.

The sacks go to pocket presence, which a lot of people confuse with mobility. Marino was one of the most immobile QB's in NFL history but had an obscene pass attempt to sack ratio.(to the good) The picks go to judgement and accuracy. Rex was 0.4% more accurate than Kyle last year, but how much does that percentage matter when the pick ratio is greater? The fumbles come down to genetics, because you just can't overcome tiny hands.

Another skill Kyle has over Rex is savvy. You really can't measure IT, but you know what IT is when you see IT. Not saying Kyle has IT like the big boys, but he definately looks a lot cooler than Rex does out there.

All told, I don't think Rex's skills outweigh Kyle's at all. It's close, but I give Orton the nod on intangibles.

When I say Rex is an accurate passer, I mean he's more accurate and puts the ball where he wants it. The problem is accuracy % is also related to reading the defenses and making the right throws, something Rex clearly has struggled with and such has really effected his accuracy %. However, as a pure passer, he's very accurate.

I'll say this again. There is NO evidence that Kyle is better than Rex. Not statistically or by watching him. I've seen Kyle get rattled by pressure too. He does not show more "savvy" or whatever. Stepping forward into a pocket once does not give him more savvy. Rex has stepped forward too, just not when Kruetz gets blown by and the rush is coming from the middle.

The part of the article that bothers me is , where the hell is Kyle when all this extra fundamental work is going on. He aint Peyton just yet. HE has plenty to work on and needs to be out there too.

I'll say this again. There is NO evidence that Kyle is better than Rex. Not statistically or by watching him. I've seen Kyle get rattled by pressure too. He does not show more "savvy" or whatever. Stepping forward into a pocket once does not give him more savvy. Rex has stepped forward too, just not when Kruetz gets blown by and the rush is coming from the middle.

The part of the article that bothers me is , where the hell is Kyle when all this extra fundamental work is going on. He aint Peyton just yet. HE has plenty to work on and needs to be out there too.

If he doesn't have footwork problems, why would he be focusing on fixing a problem he doesn't have as that was the drill they were working on for that particular issue?

I would assume he is going over other aspects of his game he needs improvement on.

I still do not buy that he is a very accurate pure passer.

I suppose virtually any QB without pressure, and make some impressive throws. But, that doesn't count for much other than a silly competition in Hawaii one a year.

I just see no basis where you can' thnk he's VERY accurate.

When I say Rex is an accurate passer, I mean he's more accurate and puts the ball where he wants it. The problem is accuracy % is also related to reading the defenses and making the right throws, something Rex clearly has struggled with and such has really effected his accuracy %. However, as a pure passer, he's very accurate.

If he doesn't have footwork problems, why would he be focusing on fixing a problem he doesn't have as that was the drill they were working on for that particular issue?

I would assume he is going over other aspects of his game he needs improvement on.

I'm not sure where I said Rex doesn't have footwork issues. To be sure he has a lot to work on, but this notion that Orton is so much better, to me is ridiculous.

I really think Orton should put in extra work too, because he is not guaranteed anything either.

I still do not buy that he is a very accurate pure passer.

I suppose virtually any QB without pressure, and make some impressive throws. But, that doesn't count for much other than a silly competition in Hawaii one a year.

I just see no basis where you can' thnk he's VERY accurate.

When watching the games you'll see Grossman make throws that very few QB's in this league are capable of making and it is because of his combination of arm strength and accuracy. Its also the reason he's gotten as many opportunities as he has. Heck, I remember Aikman commenting about it one week where he was basically talking about just how difficult some of the throws Rex makes (for the typical QB) and how he can make them look easy.

DABEARSDABOMB,

I've watched every single game Rex has played and I'm not overly impressed with his accuracy. Far more other QB's in the league impress me more. I just think you keep putting yourself out on a limb...you say that VERY FEW passers in the lague can make throws Rex can (in a good way)? I'd say there are quite a few...

I guess we'll just agree to disagree... You seem to see an accuracy that I just do not.

When watching the games you'll see Grossman make throws that very few QB's in this league are capable of making and it is because of his combination of arm strength and accuracy. Its also the reason he's gotten as many opportunities as he has. Heck, I remember Aikman commenting about it one week where he was basically talking about just how difficult some of the throws Rex makes (for the typical QB) and how he can make them look easy.

I'm not sure where I said Rex doesn't have footwork issues.

"The part of the article that bothers me is , where the hell is Kyle when all this extra fundamental work is going on. He aint Peyton just yet. HE has plenty to work on and needs to be out there too. "

I stated that this particular drill was to work on footwork. Orton may not have that problem and therefore is working on other aspects of his game he feels he needs extra work on and was probably working on those instead of the footwork issues. i never stated Orton doesn't have aspects of his game he doesn't need work on. I was stating that those other issues may be stuff he needs to focus on rather then the issues Rex has.

DABEARSDABOMB,

I've watched every single game Rex has played and I'm not overly impressed with his accuracy. Far more other QB's in the league impress me more. I just think you keep putting yourself out on a limb...you say that VERY FEW passers in the lague can make throws Rex can (in a good way)? I'd say there are quite a few...

I guess we'll just agree to disagree... You seem to see an accuracy that I just do not.

Tom Brady is clearly more accurate statistically and that is because he throws a lot of check-downs and reads defenses tremendously. However, he isn't capable of making a good number of passes Rex can make. There aren't many QB's that throw an out pattern like Rex can or a deep ball like Rex. He's also accurate on check-downs but obviously struggles more so on them due to his lack of size and really his awareness to know when to check down and read such.

So to me Rex's struggles more have to do with his footwork (which will help him move around the pocket and see the field better as well as reinforce proper mechanics) and more specifically his on the field awareness (reading the defense and reacting).

Hell, Brett Favre last year had an incredibly accurate season but for the most part he's never ranked amongst the leagues best in passing accuracy, however, I would tell you that he's easily one of the most accurate passers in the leauge. What has always gotten him into trouble his is over-agressiveness/tendency to force things (which you could argue has to do with him having some weaknesses when it comes to reading defenses).

By the way, I'm not comparing Rex and Favre. Favre is one of, if not the best, QB to ever play the game and Rex isn't in the top 15 of NFL Qb's as the season begins. I think he's fully capable of being one, but that doesn't mean jack and I just hope he is able to earn his way into one last chance and finally reach that potential. Of course the odds say that won't be the case, but I definately saw a lot of progress made from Grossman when he regained the starting job late last season (prior to getting hurt in the Washington game).

I stated that this particular drill was to work on footwork. Orton may not have that problem and therefore is working on other aspects of his game he feels he needs extra work on and was probably working on those instead of the footwork issues. i never stated Orton doesn't have aspects of his game he doesn't need work on. I was stating that those other issues may be stuff he needs to focus on rather then the issues Rex has.

While Rex has to focus more on footwork, Kyle needs to focus more on mechanics and just putting himself in a better position to release the ball quickly. He has a very long and deliberate throwing motion, especially when he throws the ball down field. This means a DB is going to have a better opportunity to read the QB and make a break on the ball as well as a pass rusher will have an extended time to get to the QB and impact the throw (or make a sack).

Kyle and Grossman both have differing strength's and weaknesses and if you were able to combine there entire strength's you'd have a heck of a QB (Rex arm/accuracy/release/leadership (he's well respected and this isn't a knock on Orton as you just know less about such and Orton's size/checkdown ability/short range passes)

I hate to flog a dead horse...but saying that Rex has the best out pattern in the NFL is just off-putting. His out pattern to Jason Taylor a few years back wasn't exactly Johnny Unitas-like. His deep ball can be nice, but it can also flutter. There isn't a consistency in his game. To be considered good, you have to be consistent. Rex is just all over the map.

And maybe the bigger picture is that even if I give you the accuracy thing, it really matters not. He has shown he cannot get it done under pressure. And he is VERY turnover prone...from picks, to fumbles to bobbled snaps. I already feel my blood pressure rising just thinking of all his big time blunders.

I like the kid as a person, but not as an NFL QB.

Tom Brady is clearly more accurate statistically and that is because he throws a lot of check-downs and reads defenses tremendously. However, he isn't capable of making a good number of passes Rex can make. There aren't many QB's that throw an out pattern like Rex can or a deep ball like Rex. He's also accurate on check-downs but obviously struggles more so on them due to his lack of size and really his awareness to know when to check down and read such.

So to me Rex's struggles more have to do with his footwork (which will help him move around the pocket and see the field better as well as reinforce proper mechanics) and more specifically his on the field awareness (reading the defense and reacting).

Hell, Brett Favre last year had an incredibly accurate season but for the most part he's never ranked amongst the leagues best in passing accuracy, however, I would tell you that he's easily one of the most accurate passers in the leauge. What has always gotten him into trouble his is over-agressiveness/tendency to force things (which you could argue has to do with him having some weaknesses when it comes to reading defenses).

By the way, I'm not comparing Rex and Favre. Favre is one of, if not the best, QB to ever play the game and Rex isn't in the top 15 of NFL Qb's as the season begins. I think he's fully capable of being one, but that doesn't mean jack and I just hope he is able to earn his way into one last chance and finally reach that potential. Of course the odds say that won't be the case, but I definately saw a lot of progress made from Grossman when he regained the starting job late last season (prior to getting hurt in the Washington game).

I agree with you 100% but you wont win this argument here. Rex can drop a streak into a WRs hands consistently. He can thread defenders over the deep middle easily as well. Look at his throw to Davis to beat Minny in the Super Bowl year or any of his passes to Berrian, or the one Hester dropped this year. Not many qbs can do that stuff. Like you said, he makes some poor reads and decisions which dont help his percentage but he also has had an insane amount of drops, bad play calling, lacking running game, bad blocking. Rex on a team with a better offense around him and he would flourish because of his passing ability. Thats one thing you cant coach.