Would you trade Hester?

Pixote

Good point.

It is possible that he was just too green in college...and he's not a fast learner. Maybe given some time, he can excel.

But you certainly do bring up some valid and interesting possibilities.

I think a question that needs to be addressed is why such a dynamic player could not come to a position in college. I follow Miami pretty closely and they tried him at DB, RB, and WR. He could not learn the plays and coverages. Its as simple as that. Return man is pretty easy. Handle the ball and run around.

The only use for Hester is Indy would be as a return man. There is no way he could learn how to read the defense to be effective for Manning.

You guys saw him last year. If he is not running straight, or just has a couple special plays, then he has trouble. You see sometimes he doesn't know where to line up, and the Bears offense is not the most complex by far.

After thinking about it, trading him at the peak of his value might be a good move because its looks like to me, Hester and his agent pretty much his production will go down. Teams are going to kick away from him more and more. Especially with this offense. And I have serious questions about his ability mentally to handle a starting receiver spot. It looks like he is trying to cash in while the cashing is good.

Why else would he decide to hold out the year when he could be showing that he deserves big money?

I would...not that Turner would dare think of the 2 TE possibility. Why throw to the 2 best catchers on the team when we can come up with trickeration that only fools ourselves?

Hester for Brady Quinn? LOL..........who's he going to throw the ball to? Olsen & Clark all the time? :rolleyes:

Good point.

It is possible that he was just too green in college...and he's not a fast learner. Maybe given some time, he can excel.

But you certainly do bring up some valid and interesting possibilities.

I would agree with the too green, except that he was a 5 star athlete in high school. He couldn't even grasp a high school position. He was just so fast they would line him up where ever and get him the ball.

The bottom line is that he is not very smart. He might have a learning disorder or whatever but this is the NFL. We dont have time to give him all this cash and then wait for him to develop into Marvin Harrison.

I guess people forget that his coaches at Miami tried to make him a WR and he failed pretty badly. I can see why this illustrious coaching staff we have that is so adept at developing young talent will Ipso Facto zap hester right into a premier NFL WR. He'll be a first ballot HOFer for sure. Now, just in case that doesn't happen, I mean, we all agree, he is incredibly intelligent and should have no problem grasping the complexities of the position, but, just on the off chance that he doesn't make it as WR, do you think he might give back some of the guaranteed WR money he's asking for?

Let's face it. He's a great returner but that's it. That is where it ends right now. To all you Hester apologists who insist the Bears give him what he wants, I say this. You are delusional. You refuse to see that the Bears have made him a very fair offer. 2 PHUCKING YEARS AHEAD OF TIME. You obviously haven't given much thought to what this would do to our cap situation if Hester failed at WR. I mean, sooner or later, we are going to need to sign a QB and he is going to command alot of money whether he is good or not. Contrary to popular belief, money does not grow on trees.

So......we agree??

Hester for Brady Quinn?

I like the idea of getting a QB, but how many young QBs are out there who would be considered in a trade. Most young QBs we might have any interest in are not QBs a team is likely to part w/. There just are not that many good young QBs. WRs on the other hand are far more in abundance.

Getting Quinn for Hester would be awesome. If for nothing else I would say yes, trade Hester to the highest bidder. His value is is about the best it will ever be. THere is no question Hester has talent and has scored a lot of the Bears TD's these last two seasons (probably in games the Bears would have normally lost - see Arizona in 2006). However, IMHO Hester is one injury away from being done with. Even without injury his speed will decrease and other teams will start to figure out how to stop him. Someone like Quinn could most definitely contribute over a longer span of time at a more crucial position.

Someone send that idea to Angelo.

How about Boldin and Kurt Warner for Hester? Boldin wants out of AZ and Warner still has enough that he could be our starter if/when we become unhappy with our current options.

Hester is honestly worth all of Boldin/Warner and a 1rst round draft pick but I doubt anyone would give up that much.

Frankly, I hope we can keep Hester happy with whatever deal JA comes up with and Kyle/Rex develop along with some of the young WR's we've got on the team now. Best case scenario, we don't have to trade him. I really love watching this guy play football!