Tillman Speaks and I wonder....

Pixote

In an Article from the Chicago Sun-Times.com Tillman states that in the NFL offense sells tickets, but not our offense. Think that might tick off the Bears offense?

Tillman says 'D' can't live in past

BEARS IN BRIEF

July 27, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Quick, name how many defensive starters from the opener last season made it through all 16 games.

Four. That explains why the Bears believe injuries were to blame for the unit's fall to 28th in yards allowed. But just because the core for the defense from 2005-06 is in place doesn't mean opposing offenses are going to be daunted.

''I don't think people are forgetting about us,'' said cornerback Charles Tillman, who missed one game. ''We need to create our own identity and stop living in 2006. It's '08 now. We have to establish our own identity again.

''We don't have anything to prove to anybody. Whether you're No. 1 or No. 32, people are still going to talk down on you. You're always going to have your critics, so I don't think we have anything to prove to anybody but ourselves.''

The common notion is the Bears will go as far as the defense takes them. That was the case during playoff runs in coach Lovie Smith's second and third seasons.

''That's just a great saying, 'Defense wins games. Offense sells tickets,''' Tillman said. ''That's since the beginning of time.''

So no one wants to watch the defense? ''I'm not going to say that,'' he replied. ''Offense sells a lot of tickets, though. NFL-wise, not our offense. Let me clarify that. Make sure you all get all of that. Don't misquote me. Put the whole quote in there.''

Interested observerChris Williams (back) has missed three practices, including both Saturday. He left the field Thursday with back spasms and has been moving around slowly. Network coverage on draft day reported Williams was sliding on some draft boards because of issues regarding his back.

''I'm feeling all right,'' he said. ''Just taking it a day at a time. You try to get to work and get better, and being physically limited is just real frustrating. [i've got to] just keep a positive outlook.''

There's no timetable for a return, but the more work he misses, the harder it'll be for him to get significant playing time early in preseason. That's when he needs to prove he's ready to unseat John St. Clair at left tackle.

''I don't think it's going to be a significant amount of time,'' Williams said. ''Just getting to the point where I can get back in my stance and get out of my stance.''

All talkDevin Hester fielded some punts on the side at the start of the evening practice and spent time chatting with general manager Jerry Angelo during practice. The team was in contact with his agent, Eugene Parker, during the day.

''We anticipate him coming back shortly,'' Smith said.

''He's making progress. He seemed like he's ready to go, and we're ready to get him out on the field.''

Hester is on the non-football injury list with a hamstring pull, and he's not expected to begin practicing until he has a new contract.

Tillman's words were quite frank but he did go to great lengths to make sure that he wasn't being misquoted which leads me to believe no one on offense will be offended.

One thing for sure, I just watched the highlight films of practice on the Bears home website, (if you have not watched these, please do, they are worth the time) Forte looked faaast.....

This guy might just sell some tickets for the Bears before long!! I think we finally got the real deal at RB!

Pix that guy looked like he is going to be tough to bring down also. He seems to keep his legs moving while in the grasp of the defender. He could be a good yardage after contact runner as opposed to Benson's one hit and go down runs the last couple of years.

Pix that guy looked like he is going to be tough to bring down also. He seems to keep his legs moving while in the grasp of the defender. He could be a good yardage after contact runner as opposed to Benson's one hit and go down runs the last couple of years.

Did you see him in any blitz coverage drills? I am hoping he is as good in this area as he has been reported to be coming out of college. On one of the videos on the Bears site Orton was saying Forte looked great catching screen passes. NICE!

In an Article from the Chicago Sun-Times.com Tillman states that in the NFL offense sells tickets, but not our offense. Think that might tick off the Bears offense?

It's nothing they don't already know. And until they get that monkey off their back, they will be suspect everytime they step on the field. Man, Tillman is right on target. Since I started following the Beloved in 1963, I have looked forward to seeing the D on thei field much more than the O. When the O came out I was usually afraid of what blunder they could cause. With the D, I was waiting from someone's head to roll and for a turnover.

Did you see him in any blitz coverage drills? I am hoping he is as good in this area as he has been reported to be coming out of college. On one of the videos on the Bears site Orton was saying Forte looked great catching screen passes. NICE!

Actually I did see some drills where the front seven plus two safeties on defense brought pressure against the O-line and TE with the QB and 2RBs. This was when I noticed that Forte looked hard to bring down and I also was surprised to see Grossman actually step up to throw amide pressure and take off and run when a big lane opened up. Forte blocking on a couple of plays looked like he got in the defenders way more than used good technique.This is still a far cry from both A-Train and Benson who couldn't even get in defenders way.evn during the season last year Benson was the reason both Grossman and Griese got tattooed a couple of times. As usual the Bears again looked awkward trying to run screen passes with the line and the qb pretty much telegraphing the play from the snap. The one screen pass that looked good had Garrett Wolfe as the receiver.

I watched Forte during Senior Bowl practice not only block well but also show great hands. He kind of reminded me of Joseph Addai.He also seems tall and slender compared to the other backs.

While walking on the sideline Kevin Jones appeared to be limping or favoring one of his legs,which I imagine has to be the surgically repaired one. During interviews he said he was close to being ready to go and that they were easing him in slowly.If yesterday was any indication IMO he is a little further away than he thinks.

If I was on the Bears offense last yr I would be embarassed. They had no excuse for their pathetic play. At least the defense can point to the major injuries they suffered. The offense flat out sucked.Peace :dabears
With all the new starters on offense they really can move forward and not dwell on last year's dismal showing.