I realize it's the first game, etc...but...

madlithuanian

If that happens the 2nd time the Chiefs get the ball, then I will begin to worry a "little"

I never count much on performance in preseason. How many times do you see a team in the preseason win all their games and wind up selecting 1st in the draft at the end of the season? Happens more often than you might think.

True enough!

It's just been so long since we've seen the players in action, and seeing them so lackluster is a bit disheartening...

But I'll curb my disappointment. At least Forte, Davis and Orton looked decent on the first drive.

If that happens the 2nd time the Chiefs get the ball, then I will begin to worry a "little"

I never count much on performance in preseason. How many times do you see a team in the preseason win all their games and wind up selecting 1st in the draft at the end of the season? Happens more often than you might think.

One thing that REALLY upset me was seeing some of the same garbage that upset me in the past.

When it is 3rd and long, most coaches consider that a pass rushing situation. That is when you send the house to attack the QB, forcing him into a quick decision and not allow routes to develop. You don't have to fear the run, and if the QB has time enough only for a dink pass, it isn't likely to convert a 1st down.

Instead, we did as we have under Babich. We backed off, rushed 4, and dropped everyone else back. We give the QB time in the pocket, and WRs time to develop routes. Result FAR too often is 1st down.

It may have only been the first series of the 1st preseason game, but seeing some of the same BS is very disheartening.

I swear I was having heart aplpatation watching what you menion!

And I swear every big play came against the bloody Cover 2 we insist on running even though the entire league has figured it out. It's a good D when you have good presonnell as we do. But you need to change it up! Again, it's pre-season, but I saw too much of is in seasons' past to think it's an anomoly in the pre-season.

One thing that REALLY upset me was seeing some of the same garbage that upset me in the past.

When it is 3rd and long, most coaches consider that a pass rushing situation. That is when you send the house to attack the QB, forcing him into a quick decision and not allow routes to develop. You don't have to fear the run, and if the QB has time enough only for a dink pass, it isn't likely to convert a 1st down.

Instead, we did as we have under Babich. We backed off, rushed 4, and dropped everyone else back. We give the QB time in the pocket, and WRs time to develop routes. Result FAR too often is 1st down.

It may have only been the first series of the 1st preseason game, but seeing some of the same BS is very disheartening.

I was going to type this exact same comment!! Read my mind.

Actually 3rd and long is an excellent time to play zone. there is a lot of ground underneath that you can give up, and then multiple tacklers converge before the first down. If guys didn't execute, then fine (I didn't see the game) but three deep zone is exactly the right call for 3rd and 15.

Also, you have to understand that whatever coverage we're running, our defense is predicated on the D line getting penetration. This is training camp - guys have no legs and so the 1 gap defense we play will look bad while the guys are tired. That's why depth on our DL is so important to us in the season too, btw, and why guys like Bauzin or whomever are more valuable on our team than they would be on a 2 gap team. Hence, JA's attention to the DL on draft day.

This is the same stuff we read about the Bears (since Lovie brought the 1 gap) in the early preseason every year.

Relax, or if you need to worry - do it about the OL - THAT is a problem!

Actually 3rd and long is an excellent time to play zone. there is a lot of ground underneath that you can give up, and then multiple tacklers converge before the first down. If guys didn't execute, then fine (I didn't see the game) but three deep zone is exactly the right call for 3rd and 15.

Disagree. While you likely will see your secondary drop back and keep the receiver in front, I think if you watch other games around the league, you will see that most teams bring extra pressure on 3rd and long. I sure saw KC do it against us last night.

I get keeping the receiver in front. I also get that Lovie looks at 3rd and long as a potential turnover down more than simply forcing a punt. I disagree though. Give me the punt.

I have said this before, and will again. Even the worst QB we face is an NFL QB. If you sit back and give him, and the WRs time, they will win that matchup EVERY DAY. There is not a defense in the league that can defend forever. If you let the QB sit back, whether it is 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 30, the odds go up he will get the 1st down the longer he can sit back in the pocket.

Also, you have to understand that whatever coverage we're running, our defense is predicated on the D line getting penetration.

Than in itself is the problem some of us have. Few DLs (ever) are so good they pressure the QB w/o help. Especially ours, who don't stunt or anything like that. Further, when the offense keeps extra blockers back, it makes it all the less likely your front four will get it done on their own.

This is training camp - guys have no legs and so the 1 gap defense we play will look bad while the guys are tired. That's why depth on our DL is so important to us in the season too, btw, and why guys like Bauzin or whomever are more valuable on our team than they would be on a 2 gap team. Hence, JA's attention to the DL on draft day.

That's all well and good, but we are talking about the first drive of the game. If players were winded already, we have more problems than we realize. Also, even on that drive, I saw us rotating quite a bit, as Anderson was seeing a lot of action.

Relax, or if you need to worry - do it about the OL - THAT is a problem!

That is a problem, and a big one, but that doesn't mean the only one. I think few expect great things out of our offense, so if they are not very good, well, that is expected. On the other hand, if the defense isn't very good, we could be in line for the top pick in the draft.

Babitch is on my hit list. He does not know how to create pressure. Seeing Url and Briggs constantly out of position was frustrating. No agression and no stripping the ball. It Sucks huge!!!

All that talk we read about players knowing they didn't tackle well last year, and have been working hard in camp on technique and such for just that problem.....well.... you have to wonder what techniques they are practicing.

I know its the first preseason game, but for me, that doesn't explain off so easily why veterans still look slopping in tackles.

One good thing I did see. On one down, I noticed Anderson juke outside off the snap, only to cut inside. Another blocker tried to pick him up, but was late and Anderson ripped past him to pressure the QB. Getting old now, and can't recall if the QB threw it away or was taken down, but the point is the move and not the result.

Two years ago, Anderson looked incredible. I specifically recall Dent talking about how Anderson was using moves which you often see in veterans, but not rookies. He was a speed/edge rusher who often used his speed to get the OT off-balance outside, and use a swim or rip move inside. Sometimes he would simply use his speed to get the OT on his backfeet, and bull rush through him as if the OT didn't have 50+lbs on him. Then last year, Anderson was the starter, used one move. He always rushed outside on the snap. You no longer saw the "moves", much less his taking an inside approach. Did he suddenly forget, or did the staff "coach" him to rush a certain way. I think it likely the later and not the former. So his move inside makes me think it more likely we could see the rookie Anderson, and not just the Anderson who gets knocked out of the play w/ predictable outside moves.

I am starting to feel my blood boil. I honestly think this may be the last we see of at least most of this coaching staff if not all... I fear similar results as last year.

I love that we have our nucleus of players set for a long while...but we need better direction. Someone that has a clue about adaptability.

All that talk we read about players knowing they didn't tackle well last year, and have been working hard in camp on technique and such for just that problem.....well.... you have to wonder what techniques they are practicing.

I know its the first preseason game, but for me, that doesn't explain off so easily why veterans still look slopping in tackles.

One good thing I did see. On one down, I noticed Anderson juke outside off the snap, only to cut inside. Another blocker tried to pick him up, but was late and Anderson ripped past him to pressure the QB. Getting old now, and can't recall if the QB threw it away or was taken down, but the point is the move and not the result.

Two years ago, Anderson looked incredible. I specifically recall Dent talking about how Anderson was using moves which you often see in veterans, but not rookies. He was a speed/edge rusher who often used his speed to get the OT off-balance outside, and use a swim or rip move inside. Sometimes he would simply use his speed to get the OT on his backfeet, and bull rush through him as if the OT didn't have 50+lbs on him. Then last year, Anderson was the starter, used one move. He always rushed outside on the snap. You no longer saw the "moves", much less his taking an inside approach. Did he suddenly forget, or did the staff "coach" him to rush a certain way. I think it likely the later and not the former. So his move inside makes me think it more likely we could see the rookie Anderson, and not just the Anderson who gets knocked out of the play w/ predictable outside moves.

Bazuin did the same move from the LDE spot later in the game and got free up the middle. Both plays resulted in the QB hurrying the pass for an incompletion. Watching with the DVR it was clear Bazuin doesn't have the burst of our other guys but he got around the edge a few times. On run D he held his own and did a good job anchoring the corner forcing plays back inside. Of course that's all against 2/3 string Oline.

Against the same competition Idonije didn't do much inside and seemed to get moved around a lot. Given that Harrison is playing well, Adams did ok at times too and will be on the team, Harris, and then we have Dusty who needs to get back in the mix. If Dusty returns to form does Idonije make the team? Williams injury, if the team keeps him on the roster and adds one more Oine for depth may force a tough roster decision.

I would call Idonije a lock. Lovie loves him as much as AP. Remember, we matched Buffalo's offer sheet to keep him, and he has been more productive since then.

We have a lot of players at DT, but too many question marks. You talk about Dusty, but what has he done besides pull splinters out of his arce. I like him, and his potential, but... Harrison is a rookie and Adams is not a player I think the staff loves. Then factor Harris' injuries over the last couple years. I think we are simply most likely to over-load at DT to due to injury issues, as well as unproven players.

Also, I do not think DL would be the area we sacrifice a roster spot for the OL. DB, LB, FB would be my initial thoughts. Or the staff could go w/ one fewer OL. It may also depend on who we can get on our practice squad.

I too would think Idonije would be a lock but given the fact we selected Harrison and he's playing well it might not be such a sure thing. Don't we normally keep 9 Dline (5 DT, 4 DE)?

Idonije has never really stood out to me. A lot of athleticism but just not a football player. I'd think anyone on our D has a little trade value if we do decide he or anyone else is expendable.

Idonije has never really stood out to me. A lot of athleticism but just not a football player. I'd think anyone on our D has a little trade value if we do decide he or anyone else is expendable.

That surprises me, I always thought Idonije looked pretty good in limited ops on the DL.

That surprises me, I always thought Idonije looked pretty good in limited ops on the DL.

Agreed Pix. Idonije is extremely valuable IMO. He's not great at anything, but he's good at a lot of things.

You mentioned before we weren't going to use him on special teams since when we used him in the wedge, teams would always try to kick to him. But won't we still use him on ST's when we kick-off & punt? He's always been a stand-out in that capacity.

You mentioned before we weren't going to use him on special teams since when we used him in the wedge, teams would always try to kick to him. But won't we still use him on ST's when we kick-off & punt? He's always been a stand-out in that capacity.

But now he has gained 30lbs. I know they talk about how he hasn't lost any speed, but come on. He goes from 265 to 305, common sense says he is not going to get downfield as quickly. Maybe he still has great burst, but no freaking way you are going to tell me he can run a 40 (much less an 80) as fast. While the 40 may be a joke for the most part, this may be one of the few areas it is legit as you simply take off and run as fast as you can downfield.