More on Fred 'Turnstile' Miller

Connorbear

I can't believe we're back to square 1 in terms of our OL. Next year I hope we spend money to get a big name OT and then we draft an OT with one of our 1st 3 picks. I'm so sick of having such a bad line that it comes down to getting Fred Revolving Door Miller- the guy is a piece of crap in terms of being a football player and he might just make us worse. I'd consider starting freaking Kirk Barton over that puddle of moose piss.

Speaking of which, how many picks do we have in the 2009 draft?

name='jason' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:16 AM' post='43235']

I know it's only the preseason's first game, but if Miller makes his way back to the Bears (shudder), he may not even start. The guys on the OL looked pretty good tonight.

Only because blitzing and stunting are not commonplace in the 1st pre-season game.

I think ideally we'd look to bring him in as a back-up, leaving St. Clair at the LT position. I'll be ignorantly optimistic for a second, and assume the Bears aren't lying to us when they say that Chris Williams will be back this season. Personally, I never thought Williams would be ready to go on week 1 anyway. I figured he'd either suck or be hurt, thus forcing us to rely on St. Clair. So this really doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is the fact we've done nothing to upgrade the LG spot. It's flat out unbelievable IMO.

Why are we looking at Miller and not Ruben Brown?

I think ideally we'd look to bring him in as a back-up, leaving St. Clair at the LT position. I'll be ignorantly optimistic for a second, and assume the Bears aren't lying to us when they say that Chris Williams will be back this season. Personally, I never thought Williams would be ready to go on week 1 anyway. I figured he'd either suck or be hurt, thus forcing us to rely on St. Clair. So this really doesn't surprise me.

What does surprise me is the fact we've done nothing to upgrade the LG spot. It's flat out unbelievable IMO.

Why are we looking at Miller and not Ruben Brown?

My guess is they are hoping that the slippage in performance last year was due more to injuries he was playing with than his age. He did play very well for us until last year.

If you bring him back and slip Tait back to LOT then we upgrade LOT because I certainly trust Tait there more than St Clair. I do not like St Clair at OT. That is not, IMO, his ideal position.

St Clair looked very good at OG last year, and if Miller and Tait hold down the Tackle positions in good order until we can get Williams on the field, then we can put St Clair at LOG.

Once Williams returns, then Miller would be a backup, Tait goes back to ROT, and we should be set.

I still expect the Bears to make another move on OL with a vet that is cut before the season starts.

All this being said, I thought our OL played pretty decent last night.

Next year in the draft or FA we MUST make more moves for our OL.

Only because blitzing and stunting are not commonplace in the 1st pre-season game.

Add to that we were facing what may be one of the worst DLs in the NFL. They traded away their best (only?) DL, and their 1st round stud DL is injured. So if our starting OL looked good against what is the equivalent of a 2nd string DL, I am not sure we should get overly hyped on their play.