Orton to be named starter

sprout

OK, Nfoligno did read your mind. I thought you might be implying something larger when you said "I would not be surprised to see JA bring in another QB as a #3 or #2." The #2 or #3 part had my imagination noodle going.

Well, to avoid having Kyle looking over his shoulder every time he steps on the field, it did run through my mind that if, and I say IF the Bears could trade Rex to anyone for anything, they might bring in a #2 and keep Hanie as #3. Lots of ifs, maybes and ???? in that scenerio.

The problem with this whole crap about needing someone to "just manage" , "Kyle won't hurt you" is just stupid. Honestly that crap really only applies if you have offensive weapons that can move the ball and score. (which we really don't) If the Oline sucks and you have a QB that specializes in dink and dunk passes, you are going to see a crap load of 3 and outs this year. Until he can prove (which I don't think he really has) that he can go long, teams are just gonna load the line kill you, and unless your line can hold up long enough to give him time to go deep in your crap again.

The fact that the Bears had a competition between Orton and Grossman shows how sad things are. Yea "Kyle won't loose the game" and he also won't win it either. So who is gonna step up and win the games for us, if the Defense is on the field all day they won't be.

At this point I really don't care about Rex or Kyle, I think we should have scrapped them both. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Dink and Dunk and we are sunk!

Forget it dude. I have tried the same argument for the past year and gotten nowhere. These guys would much rather have a qb who manages us to 3 and outs than have the gunslinger who is going to put on a show and maybe throw a couple of picks in the mix. Nevermind the SB appearance and stuff like that.

Anyway, here's hoping Kyle figures out how to read a long receiver and is actually figures out how to get him the ball. I'll be looking forward to all the game managing and stepping up into the pocket. lol

Forget it dude. I have tried the same argument for the past year and gotten nowhere. These guys would much rather have a qb who manages us to 3 and outs than have the gunslinger who is going to put on a show and maybe throw a couple of picks in the mix. Nevermind the SB appearance and stuff like that.

Anyway, here's hoping Kyle figures out how to read a long receiver and is actually figures out how to get him the ball. I'll be looking forward to all the game managing and stepping up into the pocket. lol

AZ Bro, you didnt see the New Orleans game huh?

1. Pretty hard to hit the hot read with the TE and RB are blocking because you don't have time to squat, let alone complete a pass.

Rex said he knew the safeties were coming, he had a hot read, and he missed it. I agree everyone was blocking, but shouldn't we designate someone to get open ASAP when you know that's coming?

2. My mention to starting over was in regards to camp, as the team looked bad the first game.

So you want to start over in August? Who do you want us to bring in? Hutchinson or Jeff George.

3. The D does step up, if it wasn't for the field position they give the offense we wouldn't get any.

Agreed.

4. I happy the competition is over. (assuming that's what you called it) I sure it was hard for Lovie to choose between the two paper bags.

I honestly believe that if Rex had won the job, he'd be our man. I think Orton just had to stay fairly equal.

5. I would be absolutely amazed with Kyle played the entire year. I would be absolutely amazed if Rex had played the entire year also. Seriously the only difference between the two is that Rex has a bette ability to hit the deep man. And if we can routinely hit the deep man to keep the defense back we are in trouble again. It's just another year with different players, but the same scenerio.

Our defensive tackles are better and deeper then ever. Our secondary should be tough to beat. Hester's unbelievable. If we could just get our offense to be average . . .

I'm also glad this competition is over. I have been a Rex supporter but at the same time I felt that Orton deserved a true chance and sounds like he'll get that chance.

I like Rex and he has all the tools to be a good NFL QB but lacks the tool chest to put them in. When he's got time he can carve up a defense but the word is out, rattle him and he will make a bad play. He showed improvement when he came back after being benched but... IMHO he's damaged goods now. He seems so afraid to make a mistake and over-thinks things especially under pressure. It's been pounded into his head "don't screw up, don't make a mistake, don't do this, don't do that, etc. Imagine stepping to the line and while you're trying to process and execute a play all these things are going through your mind and tell me that doesn't screw with your timing and execution. It's like he's forgotten how to just play the game, focus on your job, have fun and let the rest take care of itself. But when you're so preoccupied with not screwing up you often increase the likely hood you'll do just that, or you'll play it too safe. IMHO it's in his best interest to play somewhere else, I question whether he ever truly can succeed here in any capacity even close to what he was pre-Arizona game. Till he mentally moves on, his game will never recover.

With Orton, something I know tend to forget is that in that 2005 season he was throwing the ball around pretty well and taking shots down the field and doing fairly well till that dreaded Cincy game where he had the turnover fest and threw 4 or 5 INT, and then the shackles were put on and the playbook was minimized. In some respects I don't think this coaching staff has ever really taken those shackles off and let him utilize the full playbook. Now that it seems he will be the starter will the coaching staff treat him like the Orton that played after the Cincy game in 2005 or will they remove the shackles and let him play with the full playbook.?

i dont think we want to draft our next QB...we need a vet. who would that be??? i dont know. Probably going to take a trade to get someone...Brady Quinn/Anderson or something like that.

Saying you prefer a veteran is all well and good, but few veterans who are more than short term bandaids become available.

Next year, sure, we look at FA and the trade market, but the draft should also be looked at. Frankly, I would say we use both.

name='nfoligno' date='Aug 18 2008, 11:14 PM' post='44407']

Saying you prefer a veteran is all well and good, but few veterans who are more than short term bandaids become available.

Next year, sure, we look at FA and the trade market, but the draft should also be looked at. Frankly, I would say we use both.

#1 is still OL. No QB will succeed until it is addressed.

#1 is still OL. No QB will succeed until it is addressed.

you don't have to tell me about OL, but even if OL is your #1, #2 and #3 priorities, that doesn't mean you can't take care of other positions at the same time.

This year, for example, I was all over OL, but would have still drafted Brohm in the 2nd round. I would have gone pretty heavy w/ OL after that, as well as adding OL in FA too though.

Point is, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to work on both the OL and QB.

Oh you mean the one where Mr Game manager had a pick and 2 fumbles?

Or the one en route to the Super Bowl?

The "Rex show" has had a 5 year run to prove itself. After 5 years, I no longer care about any excuses. Injury, mechanics, bad OL, whatever. After 5 years, I simply do not believe you get the benefit of excuses.

People can gripe all they want, but how many QBs get a 5 year tryout w/ one team? Sorry, but even the SB year finished w/ Rex being a bit of a question mark due to the 2nd half inconsistencies. The hope was he would take a step forward the following year, but it looked more like a step back.

All that aside, seriously, how many QBs out there can we point to who were flat out handed the starting job 5 years running, w/o playing up to the level of expectation.

Agreed.

If Peyton Manning is available over Tony Mandrich, I go with Manning.

you don't have to tell me about OL, but even if OL is your #1, #2 and #3 priorities, that doesn't mean you can't take care of other positions at the same time.

This year, for example, I was all over OL, but would have still drafted Brohm in the 2nd round. I would have gone pretty heavy w/ OL after that, as well as adding OL in FA too though.

Point is, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to work on both the OL and QB.

88, I just posted the following to az...

az, all our biasses show.

We know you're upset Grossman isn't the guy.

Can't you get behind Kyle for one season? Most of us did so for Rex for much longer.

I think it's applicable to your posts as well...

Orton will save us. No worries Bear fans! Maybe we'll win 3 games as a bonus!

az, all our biasses show.

We know you're upset Grossman isn't the guy.

Can't you get behind Kyle for one season? Most of us did so for Rex for much longer.

Hey, give az a break. He is allowed to biatch, moan and complain all he wants. We all do it. After the draft, there is plenty of griping about this pick or that pick, even though the player is now a bear. I see little difference here.

If Rex was the pick over Orton, wanna bet there would be plenty still trashing Rex?

Hey, give az a break. He is allowed to biatch, moan and complain all he wants. We all do it. After the draft, there is plenty of griping about this pick or that pick, even though the player is now a bear. I see little difference here.

If Rex was the pick over Orton, wanna bet there would be plenty still trashing Rex?

No question.

He's got as much right to bitch and moan as I do to call him out on it.

I'm sure there would be plenty of complaining about Rex... And I'm sure we'd see postings telling everyone what I just said.

That's just the way it works...