Orton to be named starter

sprout

The Score is reporting Orton will be announced as the starter after practice today.

If true, so be it, I have always said I would back either Rex or Kyle when named the starter. I hope he proves to be the QB that can solve this riddle we have going on with our offense. We will find out soon enough.

If true, so be it, I have always said I would back either Rex or Kyle when named the starter. I hope he proves to be the QB that can solve this riddle we have going on with our offense. We will find out soon enough.

Time for us all to get behind Kyle.

Best of luck!!!

Peace :dabears

I would go w/ Orton myself, but I would hedge expectations about his "solving" anything. Think of it like a puzzle. I don't care who you are. If pieces are missing, you are not going to solve the puzzle. Not only are we missing pieces, but we are missing key corner/border pieces you usually need to start the puzzle.

I'm good with this if it happens. I think the kid earned his shot. And moreso, Rex hasn't proven he's got his head right. I like the fact that Kyle seems to get the ball out of there faster and takes fewer sacks. That ought to pay dividends this season. He's also not afraid to step up in the pocket and/or throw the ball away. Things Rex has failed to prove he can do consistently. Heck, on Saturday night, Rex threw one off his back foot again. I pointed it out to the chat we had going that night and Connor felt the same way.

It was clear to most on the chat, TravD, Connor, etc. that the Bears decided to go with Orton when we didn't see Kyle come out for the second half. This is the smart move if not the sexy one. I still in my heart believe Rex has what it takes to be a stud in the NFL but he just refuses to prove me right. Coaches can't hang their hats on potential this far into your career. So, as hard as it is for me to give up on Rex, I'm behind Kyle 100% and I hope he kicks major ass all season long.

The worst thing that could happen here is if we're having this Kyle/Rex discussion again in 6 weeks. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

Agree Pix. As a Purdue alumn I'm glad he finally gets the shot after riding the pine for a while. Kyle gained valuable experience his first year, now I want to see him step up.

On the other hand, I think Rex got a bum deal in Seattle. And if our Oline does not improve, no one at QB or RB will get much done this season.

I would go w/ Orton myself, but I would hedge expectations about his "solving" anything. Think of it like a puzzle. I don't care who you are. If pieces are missing, you are not going to solve the puzzle. Not only are we missing pieces, but we are missing key corner/border pieces you usually need to start the puzzle.

Now that the selection process is over I would not be surprised to see JA bring in another QB as a #3 or #2. Before I think it would have been a distraction. Now I think it is a neccesity.

Good analogy...

I really look at Kyle as a stop gap. I think our next true QB could be Hanie depending on his development, or who we draft next year. Kyle could shock us all. But I see him playing the back-up role here. And doing it darn well. When you're #1 guy gets hurt, and you have Kyle coming in to manage the team...I think it's a good thing.

And especially given our sorry OL, Kyle will do the most not to cause more problems. Rex, I fear, cannot.

So, let go Kyle! Show us that you can be a top NFL QB!

Points well made, but I actually think Orton is a damn good #2 guy. He's not going to jeopardize your team. He'll just manage OK. Is that any different than what Steve Fuller did for us in '85? If not better?

Rex & Orton's play this preseason has been average at best.

Neither one deserve to be a #1 QB. But, whatever.

It's pretty sad when Orton would be a #3 QB on most teams is a #1 here.

Good analogy...

I really look at Kyle as a stop gap. I think our next true QB could be Hanie depending on his development, or who we draft next year. Kyle could shock us all. But I see him playing the back-up role here. And doing it darn well. When you're #1 guy gets hurt, and you have Kyle coming in to manage the team...I think it's a good thing.

And especially given our sorry OL, Kyle will do the most not to cause more problems. Rex, I fear, cannot.

So, let go Kyle! Show us that you can be a top NFL QB!

i dont think we want to draft our next QB...we need a vet. who would that be??? i dont know. Probably going to take a trade to get someone...Brady Quinn/Anderson or something like that.

This will be Orton's first true shot with experience. Every other time he was thrown in there (first as a rookie) and for a couple of games last year. He seemed much improved last year compared to 2005. Hopefully he can take another step forward knowing he is going to at least get a fair shot for several games like Grossman did last year - while working with the first team all the time.

To problem there!

I'd love to get Quinn...it's like getting a first round pick, but with a little experience.

i dont think we want to draft our next QB...we need a vet. who would that be??? i dont know. Probably going to take a trade to get someone...Brady Quinn/Anderson or something like that.

I'm really beyond curious to see how he will play out with a ll the givens you've mentioned...

This will be Orton's first true shot with experience. Every other time he was thrown in there (first as a rookie) and for a couple of games last year. He seemed much improved last year compared to 2005. Hopefully he can take another step forward knowing he is going to at least get a fair shot for several games like Grossman did last year - while working with the first team all the time.

He's not going to jeopardize your team. He'll just manage OK. Is that any different than what Steve Fuller did for us in '85? If not better?

The problem with this whole crap about needing someone to "just manage" , "Kyle won't hurt you" is just stupid. Honestly that crap really only applies if you have offensive weapons that can move the ball and score. (which we really don't) If the Oline sucks and you have a QB that specializes in dink and dunk passes, you are going to see a crap load of 3 and outs this year. Until he can prove (which I don't think he really has) that he can go long, teams are just gonna load the line kill you, and unless your line can hold up long enough to give him time to go deep in your crap again.

The fact that the Bears had a competition between Orton and Grossman shows how sad things are. Yea "Kyle won't loose the game" and he also won't win it either. So who is gonna step up and win the games for us, if the Defense is on the field all day they won't be.

At this point I really don't care about Rex or Kyle, I think we should have scrapped them both. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Dink and Dunk and we are sunk!

The problem with this whole crap about needing someone to "just manage" , "Kyle won't hurt you" is just stupid. Honestly that crap really only applies if you have offensive weapons that can move the ball and score. (which we really don't) If the Oline sucks and you have a QB that specializes in dink and dunk passes, you are going to see a crap load of 3 and outs this year. Until he can prove (which I don't think he really has) that he can go long, teams are just gonna load the line kill you, and unless your line can hold up long enough to give him time to go deep in your crap again.

Disagree. IMO, Orton won the QB competition because of his ability to hit the "hot read," and when 8 guys are coming at you, he'll be able to dump it off to the TE, Forte, or whoever. With his height, he should be much better at this then Rex.

You mentioned that we should have started over, but who did you want that could make this team better this year?

The weird thing about Orton is that the defense tends to step it up a notch when he's in.

I'm just happy the competition is over. Hopefully we can start working towards getting consistency with our offense.

Look here. At about 1 minute into the highlights you'll see Kyle's idea of a dink.

OK, so he hasn't been known for this and his career isn't littered with this type of highlight... But it was his last regular season game and it was to the man we all hope can step up to be a #1 WR this season. Promising.

Further, the first year of his career was hugely successful even if he was playing more dink and dunk. You can't blame the guy as he was a rookie and did what he was told to do. If rex would've done that, he may still have the job!

I'm most happy that the Bears were decisive. Dragging this decision out would've made no sense at all.

Disagree. IMO, Orton won the QB competition because of his ability to hit the "hot read," and when 8 guys are coming at you, he'll be able to dump it off to the TE, Forte, or whoever. With his height, he should be much better at this then Rex.

You mentioned that we should have started over, but who did you want that could make this team better this year?

The weird thing about Orton is that the defense tends to step it up a notch when he's in.

I'm just happy the competition is over. Hopefully we can start working towards getting consistency with our offense.

1. Pretty hard to hit the hot read with the TE and RB are blocking because you don't have time to squat, let alone complete a pass.

2. My mention to starting over was in regards to camp, as the team looked bad the first game.

3. The D does step up, if it wasn't for the field position they give the offense we wouldn't get any.

4. I happy the competition is over. (assuming that's what you called it) I sure it was hard for Lovie to choose between the two paper bags.

5. I would be absolutely amazed with Kyle played the entire year. I would be absolutely amazed if Rex had played the entire year also. Seriously the only difference between the two is that Rex has a bette ability to hit the deep man. And if we can routinely hit the deep man to keep the defense back we are in trouble again. It's just another year with different players, but the same scenerio.