Game manager or playing not to lose

BearFan2000

Reading some of the articles before, during, and after the competition the same thing keeps jumping out at me.

-Which guy will best manage the offense

-which guy is the safest choice

-which guy is less likely to turn the ball over

-which guy will make the fewest mistakes

-which guy presents the lowest risk

What we are really doing is playing not to lose and from that perspective which guy fits that bill. The staff knows our offense is crap, our line is crap, our receivers would at best be backups on most rosters, our QB's would likely be backups elsewhere (making it a competition to see which backup quality QB should be our starter). The only offensive positions that we could say we have quality talent is RB and TE. Making the goal for our offensive outlook damage control, hoping we can field and offense that at least won't lose us games.

name='BearFan2000' date='Aug 20 2008, 10:55 PM' post='44594']

Reading some of the articles before, during, and after the competition the same thing keeps jumping out at me.

All roads lead to Orton this year. Rex has more visible talent, but the items above are attributes that can overcome physical talent.

For two or three years now I've just wanted to see Rex make it through about 6 games without turnover issues. If he then only led 2 decent drives all day long, one resulting in a TD and one resulting in a FG, I would have been happy. Throw in another 10 points from special teams returns and/or interceptions/fumbles in automatic FG position and you've got 20 points per game and Rex proving he won't psychologically lose self-control. Too bad Rex never made it happen. Griese would probably still be here if he hadn't had all those turnovers that one game.

Furthermore, I don't see Orton losing his job if he can lead drives for 10 points every game (again not counting Hester returns or turnovers in FG position, etc.) with only 1 pick per game and 1 lost fumble every 3 games...while controlling the clock for 28 minutes a game. None of that would be impressive for a typical NFL QB, but it would be enough for us for this season. [by the way, I mean that in the hypothetical sense where he has exactly those stats every week.]

What we are really doing is playing not to lose and from that perspective which guy fits that bill. The staff knows our offense is crap, our line is crap, our receivers would at best be backups on most rosters, our QB's would likely be backups elsewhere (making it a competition to see which backup quality QB should be our starter). The only offensive positions that we could say we have quality talent is RB and TE. Making the goal for our offensive outlook damage control, hoping we can field and offense that at least won't lose us games.

They should also add which guy will not win games for you. Let's face it if your "managing" our offense, your just another drone out there without the abilitiy to win the game. Sounds like everyone is relying on someone else to win the game for them..

Manage the offense. That term does not have to be a negative. It does not mean we are not out there trying to score points and it does not mean the offense does not plan to try and do it's best to WIN games.

To me it just means that we are not going to go out there and take unnecessary chances. To keep the risk/reward factor within reason. Do not turn the ball over, control the clock with a solid running game, make smart decisions in the passing game.

That is basically what most teams do, but because we are talking the Bears, not known for high production on the offense, it all of a sudden becomes a negative statement when you say "manage the offense".

Manage the offense. That term does not have to be a negative. It does not mean we are not out there trying to score points and it does not mean the offense does not plan to try and do it's best to WIN games.

To me it just means that we are not going to go out there and take unnecessary chances. To keep the risk/reward factor within reason. Do not turn the ball over, control the clock with a solid running game, make smart decisions in the passing game.

That is basically what most teams do, but because we are talking the Bears, not known for high production on the offense, it all of a sudden becomes a negative statement when you say "manage the offense".

Agreed. I think there is a big difference between a QB being a "game manager" to "playing not to lose". I think Orton is a game manager, but as you said, that doesn't mean we wont try to score points.

The Onion reports on the Bears' offensive strategy: Bears Unveil New-Look-Like-Shit Offense

BOURBONNAIS, IL—The Chicago Bears put on a display of inaccurate passing, sluggish route running, and careless ball-handling Wednesday as the team exhibited their new-look-like-shit offense to fans and media attending training camp to view a full-squad practice. "We finally have the personnel to implement a game plan of high-percentage incomplete passes, completed passes of four yards or less, and a rushing attack that lets us lose control of the game clock with complex plays that take forever to develop and generate negative yardage," offensive coordinator Ron Turner said, explaining why the Bears abandoned the "West-Coast-My-Fat-Ass" offense they ran last year. "I'm confident that both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton possess the ability to overthrow a receiver on a deep fly pattern or find an open defender and deliver the ball with laser-like precision, so we'll be switching between them often and at random intervals to avoid either one getting into a rhythm or developing any confidence." According to Turner, the offense is starting to malfunction as a cohesive unit and has shown much more consistency at blowing assignments, missing blocks, and fumbling snaps.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_brief...l_new_look_like

The plan begins to come together... :)