Starting WR?

AZ54

It appears Rashied Davis has put himself into the lead here to start at one of the slots. Who starts alongside him? I think at this point it will be Hester splitting time with Lloyd. Davis will move to the slot when we go with 3 WR sets. We know Bennett will be on the roster so after tonight IMO that leaves Booker fighting Bradley for the 5th spot. What do you value? Booker's experience in route running and blocking ability or Bradley's athleticism for big plays (not that he made many)? Anybody else notice Bradley on special teams tonight?

Neither has impressed me and I'm 50-50 between them.

I know people will tell me Marty is a veteran but he's looked absolutely horrendous in the field. I haven't seen him get open much at all and when you just watch him moving over the field he looks absolutely sluggish. I can't stand Bradley either because I think he's lost the athletism that once made him a potential impact player.

I'd prefer releasing both of them and picking up a veteran that gets released elsewhere (it will happen) or keeping Hass.

I know people will tell me Marty is a veteran but he's looked absolutely horrendous in the field. I haven't seen him get open much at all and when you just watch him moving over the field he looks absolutely sluggish. I can't stand Bradley either because I think he's lost the athletism that once made him a potential impact player.

I'd prefer releasing both of them and picking up a veteran that gets released elsewhere (it will happen) or keeping Hass.

On the TV I only remember seeing Booker for a couple of plays. He didn't look fast, but usually we were running him on slanted routes so it's impossible to tell. Horrendous is a harsh word. He does look faster then Moose.

How can you say you can't stand Bradley after he had that huge play tonight?

What veteran do you think we could get better then Booker & Bradley??? Wow.

It appears Rashied Davis has put himself into the lead here to start at one of the slots. Who starts alongside him? I think at this point it will be Hester splitting time with Lloyd. Davis will move to the slot when we go with 3 WR sets. We know Bennett will be on the roster so after tonight IMO that leaves Booker fighting Bradley for the 5th spot. What do you value? Booker's experience in route running and blocking ability or Bradley's athleticism for big plays (not that he made many)? Anybody else notice Bradley on special teams tonight?

Agreed on Davis, although he dropped the pass in the end-zone which would have been his 3rd TD of the night.

I think you meant Booker fighting Bradley for the 6th spot. (Hester, Davis, Booker, Bradley, Lloyd, Bennett). I'd be shocked as hell if we don't carry all six at this point.

On the TV I only remember seeing Booker for a couple of plays. He didn't look fast, but usually we were running him on slanted routes so it's impossible to tell. Horrendous is a harsh word. He does look faster then Moose.

Whoopty doo...he made a big catch on a play where the CB made a mistake. The route was terribly run (which is Bradley's biggest problem). I'm not trying to discredit him because I once hyped Bradley as much as anyone on here, but I'm impressed by good routes and good catches and Bradley did neither tonight, imo.

Although Bradley almost had a 2nd big catch where Rex would have had a TD as would Bradley (that ball was perfectly thrown...except for Bradley getting PI'd with). So again, I'm probably harsh on Bradley but Booker, its been 3 games and he's been completely non-existent. There is a reason for that. We have QB's who are trying to win a starting job (or did) and if Booker was open they'd have been leaning on the vet WR a lot (but they didn't and that was a telling sign, imo).

Agreed on Davis, although he dropped the pass in the end-zone which would have been his 3rd TD of the night.

I think you meant Booker fighting Bradley for the 6th spot. (Hester, Davis, Booker, Bradley, Lloyd, Bennett). I'd be shocked as hell if we don't carry all six at this point.

Carry all 6 with 5 being active on game day (Bennett would be inactive most of the time).

Peace :dabears

I don't know who ends up getting released, but usually someone interesting becomes available.

Could you, or anyone, tell how much Booker even played? I just wonder if he is getting as many reps, as it is possible coaches are playing the other receivers more as they "feel" they know what to expect from booker, but don't know what to expect from others.

I am not in favor of cutting Booker, but will at the same time admit, the play of Davis in camp and tonight makes me think it wouldn't hurt as bad as expected.

What I know is this:

When Bradley is on the field, he looks to have a better combination of speed, strength, explosion, and size than any other Bears WR. I hope they don't cut him, and that he doesn't get hurt - knock on wood. He has all the tools to be a star...if he could ever stay on the field.

Could you, or anyone, tell how much Booker even played? I just wonder if he is getting as many reps, as it is possible coaches are playing the other receivers more as they "feel" they know what to expect from booker, but don't know what to expect from others.

I am not in favor of cutting Booker, but will at the same time admit, the play of Davis in camp and tonight makes me think it wouldn't hurt as bad as expected.

I don't keep tabs on plays per WR but my overall impression is that Booker has about the same opportunities as the other top WR. I've seen him in on a number of plays with first string and second string offenses but usually don't see him when the third string is out there. You all know my thoughts on Booker aren't that positive as I just haven't heard or seen much from/about him. I totally agree with the thought that with two QBs desperate for the starting job they will tend go to the WR they have the most confidence in making the catch. Rex has played with Booker before so it's not like he didn't have a rapport with him although that doesn't mean timing on routes will be there.

Booker is making a lot of money and I just don't know how much more than Hass or Bradley he brings to the table. The original list I made at the start of the thread had 6 guys competing for 5 spots. If we go with 6 I still favor keeping Hass. As you get that deep into the WR group you have to have guys who will play special teams and both Hass and Bradley have been getting time there and have made a few plays . Booker has not.

I'll go back to the offseason when all discussion on our WR corps was about how horrible it was with literally no veteran presence to anchor it. We all widely assumed Booker would come in and look like a man among boys even if he had lost a step. That hasn't happened IMO. We have to ask if he can't beat out our WR competition among:

Rashied Davis 17 rec for 165 yds last year

Brandon Lloyd 2 rec for 14 yards last year

Devin Hester 20 rec for 299 yards last year (ton of talent here)

Mark Bradley 6 rec for 71 yards last year

Earl Bennett 21 year old rookie

Just how good is he? Mark Bradley hasn't played well this preseason (poor routes, soft run blocking) but the fact there's a fair amount of negotiation to this debate tells me just what Booker is (is not) doing. Right now I don't think there's too many on this board right now who want Booker to start over Davis, Hester, Lloyd. You know Bennett stays on this team. Injuries in preseason shape final roster decisions but if the Bears get to a point where their depth at WR needs to play special teams Booker will find himself in a bad situation. Williams back injury probably forces them to keep 4 OT (Barton) instead of 3 like last year.

Brandon Rideau better make the team. He's had an excellent preseason and has shown me enough to earn a spot on this already "Up in the air" Wide receiver situation.

I think Davis just earned himself a starting spot opening day with his performance Thursday so he's one.. You got Earl Bennett and Marcus Monk who have done nothing to my knowledge this preseason, they will not be starting.. Marty Booker has done nothing and IMO is a waste of space, I wish we could just cut him, I don't think he should be starting.. I have to believe that Devin Hester will be starting or that contract we just gave him would be ridiculous for just a kick return man. He's expected to do big things at the WR position.

Now its Rashied and Devin, one more..

Were left with Brandon Rideau, Brandon Lloyd, Mike Hass, and Mark Bradley. Though I love Rideau's potential I'd be surprised if Lovie started him. I think it would be awesome if he did but I just can't see it.. I don't really care about Mike Hass, he does nothing for me.. Cut him.. So that leaves us with Lloyd and Bradley. Well depending on whether or not Bradley can stay healthy, he is a more talented receiver than Brandon Lloyd but both are dangerous with the deep ball. So if he's healthy at the start of the season I'll go with Bradley to round out the starting WR's..

So now we have our three.

#1 Mark Bradley- This probably isn't the ideal spot for him, being a number 1 but he has the best chance at excelling at this position because of his size, speed, and athleticism.

#2 Rashied Davis- Really good slot receiver; I like him here

#3 Devin Hester- He will grow as time goes on and eventually he'll become our #1 or #2 later on..

From there I hope Rideau and Lloyd get some looks in the game when we have our 4 wr sets or just when were subbing.

Brandon Rideau better make the team. He's had an excellent preseason and has shown me enough to earn a spot on this already "Up in the air" Wide receiver situation.

I really don't see Riddeau making the team. They may try to put him on the practice squad if he is still eligible.

I see our receivers as follows:

- Davis (lock)

- Hester (lock)

- Booker (vet who never looks good in preseason)

- Lloyd (made the team last week against Seattle)

- Bennett (3rd round pick)

- Bradley (2nd round pick given his last chance)

This is if we keep 6. If we go with 5, then Bradley is probably gone

I really don't see Riddeau making the team. They may try to put him on the practice squad if he is still eligible.

I see our receivers as follows:

- Davis (lock)

- Hester (lock)

- Booker (vet who never looks good in preseason)

- Lloyd (made the team last week against Seattle)

- Bennett (3rd round pick)

- Bradley (2nd round pick given his last chance)

This is if we keep 6. If we go with 5, then Bradley is probably gone

Booker and Lloyd would be gone before Bradley. The only way Mark Bradley is gone before the other two would be because he got injured before the year started. Like I said before, Booker is a waste of space so lets just cut him and be done with him.

Booker and Lloyd would be gone before Bradley. The only way Mark Bradley is gone before the other two would be because he got injured before the year started. Like I said before, Booker is a waste of space so lets just cut him and be done with him.

You have a right to your opinion. My opinion is this team needs an experienced veteran receiver. Marty provides that. Mark Bradley has never lived up to the hype.

If I am wrong, I will eat crow. If you are wrong, I expect you to do the same.

Peace:dabears

It would be ridiculously stupid to keep Bennett inactive. What is the benefit of it, especially considering our teams stunning resume of developing WRs. We need him to get experience.

And how much did Mark Bradley play last yr as the 5th receiver? Point being Bennett will be the last of the receivers on the roster. Hester, Davis, Lloyd, Booker, and Bennett would all get reps before Bennett.

And how much did Mark Bradley play last yr as the 5th receiver? Point being Bennett will be the last of the receivers on the roster. Hester, Davis, Lloyd, Booker, and Bennett would all get reps before Bennett.

But last year was Bradleys third year. When Bradley was a rookie he was at the back of the depth chart but he got decent playing time and actually appeared to get into a rhythm with Orton and was out there a lot until he got injured. By last year we had an idea of what we had with him. As a rookie, they will work Bennett in similar to how they did when Bradley was a rookie, and that was on a playoff team as well.